Tutorials

Testing Green Stuff Worlds texture rolling pins

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 12 Apr 2021, 21:31

I have just recieved two texture rolling pins from Green Stuff World. The first one is model 1336 Dutch Bricks that I emidiately tested out on some remaining Das that I had opened some time ago and wanted to use before it dried out.

Here is the result on the DAS, It hasn't fully cured yet and I may not have used the constant full pressure I was supposed to have used.The sharper lines between the bricks on top was added by me with a hobby knife, as was the bullet holes on the top bricks.

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Apr 2021, 21:35

i cannot see any pictures. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 12 Apr 2021, 21:41

You should be able to do it now,
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by pedro on 13 Apr 2021, 07:19

To use the texture rolls, also you need the silicone rings https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/540-silicone-guide-rings.html to ensure the same thickness and mitigate the different pressure effects.
pedro  Spain

Posted by Kekso on 13 Apr 2021, 07:30

That is excellent product although too large (IMHO) for 1/72 scale.
Thanks for sharing.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 13 Apr 2021, 09:18

If someone would lay the bricks of my home that way I would fire him! That is not the proper way to make a wall! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Apr 2021, 11:14

A roller stencil is not a bad idea but the bonding of the bricks and the collapsed nature of some of them is, like Peter quite rightly says is very poor.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 20 Apr 2021, 19:17

I have gotten the silicon rings now and it's time for another test. I'm going to test them at cutting foam from AK-interactive and cork.
Starting with the cork.
Since the practical length of the rollers with rings is no longer then 12.6 mm I will have to remove surplus width.
And then start rolling.
Results not being impressive.
Trying a few times more using harder pressure. Barely dented the Cork. Conclusion doesn't work on cork.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 21 Apr 2021, 07:24

Lets test it at the carving foam. Same procedure, removing the surplus. Unfortunately a piece of it has broken off, wich will complicate things a bit.
First roll wasn' tas effective so I rolled back and forth three times with poor result.
I flip to the other side, only rolling once, with better result but still not really that good.
The pattern on the rolls don't seem to be evenly deep across all of the roll leading to uneven pattern on the material.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 21 Apr 2021, 09:37

I understand that these are available in various scales, including 1/72nd.

I have looked at them, but to be honest couldn't justify the cost to myself.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by pedro on 21 Apr 2021, 10:28

My advice, I think you can try it with Styrofoam. It's softer and cheap. You can buy it in a do-it-yourself shop. After that, add a thin layer of Mod Podge. And when you roll on, never come back the roll but you will achieve double lines
pedro  Spain

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 21 Apr 2021, 11:22

steve_pickstock wrote:I understand that these are available in various scales, including 1/72nd.

I have looked at them, but to be honest couldn't justify the cost to myself.

They were a bit unclear about the scale part on the homepage is it the 15mm ones you are reffering to?

Anyways, now it's time to show the result for the 1301 pavement roller. In order to save material I use it on the smaller part of cutting foam that I removed from the larger part.

You can see on the part of the rolle that I point out, that the roller is missing some individual cobble stones just like the brick roller is missing individual bricks.

It was hard to balance the roller even with the rings and put an even pressure on the material, but the result still seem a lot better then with the brick wall roller.
The few areas that hadn't been affected are probably more easily carved in this one.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 21 Apr 2021, 11:23

pedro wrote:My advice, I think you can try it with Styrofoam. It's softer and cheap. You can buy it in a do-it-yourself shop. After that, add a thin layer of Mod Podge. And when you roll on, never come back the roll but you will achieve double lines

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard of Mod Podge before, so now I'll have to check out some Youtube videos on the subject.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 21 Apr 2021, 15:27

Hobbyinovator wrote:They were a bit unclear about the scale part on the homepage is it the 15mm ones you are reffering to?

I didn't find it an easy website to navigate either, but I distinctly saw 1/72 as an option for rollers, and why not? They 3D print the rollers so it's just a matter of adjusting the print parameters.

Hobbyinovator wrote:Anyways, now it's time to show the result for the 1301 pavement roller ... it was hard to balance the roller even with the rings and put an even pressure on the material, but the result still seem a lot better then with the brick wall roller.

Are the rings touching the table or worksurface. If they aren't that could be the problem, why it is so difficult to balance the roller. Use a thinner material and make sure the rings touch the work surface?

Pedro wrote:My advice, I think you can try it with Styrofoam. It's softer and cheap. You can buy it in a do-it-yourself shop. After that, add a thin layer of Mod Podge.

Yes! I have seen these used with styrofoam - it was why I looked at them in the first place.

Pedro wrote: And when you roll on, never come back the roll but you will achieve double lines

This chap uses a 'structure roller', as he calls it, in this video (starting about a minute into the vid).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxw93T0DEDY&t=6s
He's using it on styrodur, but I think most polystyrenes would take a decent impression.

For myself I saw this
Image and thought it would do everything I need using a fine point pen - regular lines, curves etc - allowing me a bit more flexibility. I use styrodur and polystyrene so it's just a case of making the impressions and keeping them regular.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by pedro on 21 Apr 2021, 19:40

steve_pickstock wrote:This chap uses a 'structure roller', as he calls it, in this video (starting about a minute into the vid).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxw93T0DEDY&t=6s
He's using it on styrodur, but I think most polystyrenes would take a decent impression.

Thank you very much, Steve, for this link. It's a true master piece. Absolutely impresive
pedro  Spain

Posted by steve_pickstock on 21 Apr 2021, 19:53

pedro wrote:Thank you very much, Steve, for this link. It's a true master piece. Absolutely impresive

Pretty good, isn't he?
It was watching these that inspired me to have a go myself. He even makes his model cars in paper. :eh: :drool: :drool: :drool:
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by pedro on 21 Apr 2021, 19:54

Hobbyinovator wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard of Mod Podge before, so now I'll have to check out some Youtube videos on the subject.

I think this link help you to understand the difference between Mod Podge with others PVA Glue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-tgtcuRPg
pedro  Spain

Return to Tutorials