Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jun 2021, 00:45

Thank you Jan, :thumbup: it is kind of you to comment upon this rather expanding topic.

Some more of my ornate books on my Pinterest account. i find and down size them for printing.

In 2005 i began to write of a certain room a Library in fact. Although the story concerning it is fiction.

So here i am limited in what i can do in the hobby of painting figures, so i concentrate upon scratch building which is a certain something that i can do.
Well with the aid of thick rimmed reading spectacles, and a double loaded lens visor upon my noggin.

i suppose that i must be doing something right as over 1,000 visit daily,

and 81,000 have stopped by for a visit. :coffee: That makes me happy and motivates me to post the next episode!

:coffee: Feel free to become a member and join us in your own kind of fun!
That's it for now guys. Stay safe,and yes help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 07 Jun 2021, 20:40

Now the golden books begin to come! I like them Paul! Will they be more expencive as the other books? ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Jun 2021, 09:40

Some books (well, quite a lot actually) with covers like these are religious books with a lot of copies and not many buyers. So those books are very nice to fill a bookshelf on a theater scene or something (cost about nothing used). Paul's books (on the other hand) are very valuable! And nice! And will look great in any book shelf!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2021, 03:01

Mostly the book-covers are classic poetry books, Dickensian story tellers, nursery rhymes and of course The Alice in Wonderland books and lots more from classic literature of old.

Following this Forum rules, i have been careful to steer well clear of all religious books for obvious reasons.

Thank you Gunnar, :thumbup: and Peter, :thumbup: i am still making books now and again and making headway progress into book shelving and the process of painting them. i am very clumsy with paints which does sort of take away the pleasure in my hobby,but i soldier on with it because it is after all a must thing to do.

There are plenty of ideas floating around in my noggin so there might be a few surprises in store for later. Ta-ta for now.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Jun 2021, 07:58

Yes, that's a classic! I think my nicest book-cover is for a collection of Robert Burn's poems. It is in satin! :-D My oldest book is a Swedish novel from the 1830s.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jun 2021, 14:56

:coffee: What follows on in the reading is an episode from my past, but it is completely true. BB

Largest book size of Sir Percy is above.

:coffee: Loading a Sample. :mrgreen: If you like playing with toys, :winky: Then try this. :sst: without the stress tablets!

:coffee: Fiddley dee! :sst: but it has to be done.

:coffee: Good that i have lots of books.

:coffee: i took little note of the time when i first started filling the shelves,
but it was a full quarter pass noon when i finished! :mrgreen: Very glad it wasn't me.
This was a play away special time of satisfaction, and my Mrs B,who first helped me with the printer certainly liked the result shown here. Although she cared little for the hundreds of tiny paper off cuttings upon the floor. :cowboy: So hose tucked tightly under his arm BB, manned the powerful VAX Machine! :sst: bb, ain't used that crazy sucking up machine since he destroyed all the light shades that once hung from the roses of the ceiling. :mrgreen: They had hung down safely for many years, :mrgreen: but it took only a split second to destroy them. :coffee: But looking on the bright side through the glare of each bulb,the dust was certainly gone. :cowboy: Well Pard,them there shades exploded like glass! :sst: well they were glass! :eh: And they all think i'm daft!

Sorry this picture is a wee bit fuzzy!

:coffee: It must be mentioned that my printer does not print out gold,or silver,but it was still an adventure finding all those classic style books. Well there are more upright book a standing still shelving units to make good and a few little books that i came across. So i hope you'll pop by again for some more out of the ordinary scratch-building fun?

Stay safe, and be a help to others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jun 2021, 03:45

Drawing up plans in any scratch build is always necessary for a certain point, but copying the real item required on line does certainly help out the hobbyist author every time like the face on picture above.
This unit will hold around about 180 books and would involve making cupboards.
:eh: Easy really, said Wingnut.

The Book written and presented by BB

Upon a rather dark rainy winters afternoon,soon after his school had turned out its herd of children he entered into a most quiet place ever for him upon the Bignold Road. His little coat rather wet dripped tiny puddles upon the highly polished wooden floor. He had only entered the place to gain relief from the constant downpour outside. He most certainly didn't know what this strange place was or even cared enough to find out, the why of it all. However stranger still for him he found himself in a queue leading into a lobby that had the smell of fresh polished floors. There having placed his name in wonky letters,he was allowed to enter this place of strange walls. Well he thought to himself,There are no walls. Of course there was,but none were on view upon that awful dark daydreaming day.

The little wide eyed lad of about 6 years of age looked up at all those books above him for they seemed to sail away up up into oblivion, because to this little author to be, many had long since been forgotten by the masses that had put them there in the first place. He calmly looked at his library card the kind old lady at the desk had filled out for him. Unable to read he would later on in life's patterns of ongoing change, refer to it all as a wonderment of conflicting ignorance! The strangest thing was his inner most deep feelings, that he sensed and made him realise that the great cupboard with dusty old books sleeping highly above it on it's shelves, was pulling him toward it. It was as if the wooden floor was moving and in doing so slid him back to that inquisitive eye balling steering place at the very foot of that very high shiny dark thing where a book was slowly sliding out by some unseen force. He glanced back to the little old lady at her desk, and raising her head slightly she smiled in his direction just as the book reached out to his wide opened shaking terrified hands.

The lady beckoned him to her,and so with this rather large book in tow he plonked it upon the desk and it was rubber stamped and after asking for his library card the kind smiling lady stamped that too.

Upon arriving home via the back door that was never locked in those far away days, he hung his wet coat into place upon his metal nail. The book he laid upon the wooden stairs.

:sst: i wonder what will happen next? Mentioned the little button.

My shelves certainly look old and beaten up.
:mrgreen: As do the books upon the shelving, they having been already viewed in their thousands.

:coffee: We all know the situation beyond our own front doors,or indeed think we might.
But until the next one, take care and stay safe. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jun 2021, 00:42

Ping! A little accident let fly some of the loose fitting books.

Are you sure that we fell out of one of those books?
Yes we did.

instantly the colour appeared.

Image BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Jun 2021, 07:56

Now, that's a library to be proud of!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 16 Jun 2021, 10:57

Susofrick wrote:Now, that's a library to be proud of!

He sure can! Only the glasses are to big! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Jun 2021, 16:20

BB--

Once your shelves are assembled, will you glue the books in place?

I doubt the books could hold up to much rough handling. Not like the real thing in that regard.

And is that the one and only Don Quixote? Perhaps an allegory for the whimsical quest our dear Paul (aka BB) has undertaken?

A quest to achieve...??
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jun 2021, 01:16

Thank you Peter, :thumbup:
in the instant of time allowed me here, the Specs have now vanished from view!
:mrgreen: Now BB.must find them,where ever that might be? :eh: There he goes groping around for them in his twilight. :sst: better not take the p.ss wingnut or you'll be off your spot on this forum, Mentioned the loyal Little Button.

Thank you Gunnar, :thumbup: the library is within a room un-built at this present time although i am quite familiar with its shape function and seedy form in my cloudy characterized mind.

Thank you Bluefalchion :thumbup: no way will any be glued into book marked space. That would make little sense to this designed puzzle of an upside down little boys dream. :coffee: These non-facsimiles, :eh: fake books! Do stand up well to rough handling well they have survived clumsy me,and any child can destroy any toy quite quick if that is their nature to do so. :eh: i agree. :mrgreen: WingNut agrees,he he.

From way back in 1605, i believe the poor Don himself is portrayed here from within, 'Alice Through The Looking Glass,'
Well most certainly my first quest at scratch building after decades away from crafty arts, was one of making a windmill that turned its sails rapidly hotfoot in the windy garden, and it in my total dismay bellowed smoke a plenty before combustion kicked in and exploded it into flame! :sst: so it was back to the drawing board for bb.

The Book written and presented by BB
continued
It seems that that book was squeezed out by somebody unseen pushing another book through from the other side,so no great mystery in that and no magic either. as for that little 6 yearold boy,that took that book home upon that awful wet winters day in 1955 it would certainly raise issues later on in his life.
:eh: So tell us do? :mrgreen: I wonder if anyone might guess how a certain book could raise issues for a rather shy timid little child?

Here i was set to determined in judging the size of books to replace those that were standing either side of the fireplace i built an age ago it seems.

https://steponejust4fun.blogspot.com/20 ... by-bb.html

Friday morning came with it raining outside and what little light came from the sun, well it looked carefully through the windows catching sight of my good self trying to snip a pile of smaller sized books safely. :mrgreen: Having been left to dry out over night the little books were whizzing off the paper strips at the rate of knots! :eh: What are knots? :oops: I don't know either Wingnut.

The quest to make do with what i have was with me long before i began to write in metaphorical lingo. A story book yarn or a scratch build are very close and near the mark with each other,because one starts with blank paper then eventually end up with something else. :drool: :shock:

Now it was shortly after taking the photographs shown here,that i sliced a finger with my very sharp craft scissors and yes it was my main veteran finger for pointing that got the cut again. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Jun 2021, 13:18

I gave this last post a like because I liked the post, but not the news that it contained about a marring of the masterful digit.

I hope a bit of the Triple A (antibiotic) Lotion, and bandaid, and some TLC from Mrs. BB will set you on the road to recovery, then back to the bookshelf project.

My guess for the book in question? Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jun 2021, 03:35

Welcome to all.
Here is another book cover which was found while cruising the internet.

The sharp scissors, a very good time saving tool to use instead of my craft knife.

Bluefalchion, :thumbup: Thank you. Alice it is! :thumbup:

As for my finger my old Service days of first aid training kicked in, and with a tea bag wrapped around the bleeding cut,then bandaged tightly into place to add pressure, it totally did the trick. Now with blue plaster bandage tape on finger i can continue to work.

A bit of a mess i know, but multitasking between typewriting on my blog, and what with cutting paper card out too, while still sticking my new books into their allotted prepared space means that i am staying put in one warm spot. As long as i have my paper strips, my pencil and safety ruler, craft knife, and a rather well worn cutting mat beside me, my Mrs B, does not mind. It is classified as the Chaos Theory; meaning a state of disorder!
:mrgreen: :cowboy: :read: :mrgreen: That's our BB, they all broadcast as if they were a fanfare of brass trumpets. :coffee: i agree. :eh: Me a-nall.

Photograph taken just before accident.

Folding the paper over the edge of my cardboard means i have no need to use the former pencil lines as guidance. It is all about finding out what process of scratch-building works.

These are double thickness books which will help full fill this figment of imagination.

Very easy to stick the off cuts into place,and once the glue has dried out, each book cover can be added. Soon thereafter they were cut off using the craft knife.

:coffee: Righty O,it's nearly 35 minutes past three in the morning,and i'm off to my bed. Take care everyone,and have a nice safe day. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jun 2021, 18:24

Hi to everyone dropping by for a look see of what is going on here upon tutorials an odd place for my chilling out process of mounting thoughts. Well the book direction is one of producing a few new book covers and many will be of larger thicker size which will add more interest to this little scratch building topic which has grabbed so much attention at this present time of typing out this hopeful colourful column.

And so it was that yesterday saw me printing out and using lots of paper in that process.

The books will have loose printed paper inner sleeves, and printing them alongside the cover means that they will all fit the downsized rendition seen here.
So the Three Musketeers and Around The world in 80 Days are included in this endeavour to create more interest for nimble fingers to play at making books and stacking the shelving of their own design.

Old thick covers appeal best for me, myself upon this silent sleigh ride of making do with little more than glue and paper.

Sold for $84,000 ,and i just had to have at least one for my Library. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 22 Jun 2021, 19:04

Amazing stuff and a lot to read. I hope the veteran finger is ok again aa far as possible!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jun 2021, 17:55

Thank you Jan, :thumbup:.
Thank you Costis Ornerakis, :thumbup: for hitting the like button.

Over ???? Books :read: Still plenty to do.

The Book written by BB
continued

It was always the case that his brother Ron,had laid out and had lit the evening fire,and he soon disappeared out the back door to meet up with his pals in the local neighborhood street gang. They ruled and defended the Wensum Park,and bomb sites along the entire Drayton Road , leading to the iron spikes of Mile Cross bridge. They the local boys that were, were a community set apart from any other. Even the local Teds avoided contact with the Mile Cross Boys of 1955, it sure was a gritty time of life. As you might have realised my big brother Ron,well over the age of 10, whom i write of was born in the early part of 1945.

Back to the home upon Shorncliffe Avenue, where the thick book lay upon the stairs. Soon there were hot coals in the fireplace fit enough to toast any bread crusty brown ,or keep any King at peaceful ease while warming his woolly socks!
Turning his gaze ever forwards the boy studied the front and back cover of the library book,but could not read its title, however the man walking along the sea shore while wearing fur garments and carrying two guns did so stir up his curious natured imagination. So perhaps his Mom,would enlighten him by reading some contents from the large book? As the mantle piece clock chimed out the quarter past six,it saw the little fellow already with blunt hard pressed pencil to hand,drawing his version of that man upon that beach. A curious thing indeed to view because of his concentrated tiny tip of his tongue being well employed between his front teeth,and his keen as mustard quick glances at the complicated picture. However soon his happy wax crayon was employed to complete the smudge! :mrgreen: A master piece!

6.45 pm arrived and so did the crammed to full red double decker 88 Bus carrying his Mom. An ordeal for the boy in all weathers to meet his mother upon her daily return from her working life in the City of Norwich. Always he helped carry the brown paper bags of take away home food from her workplace! Grace Liddy, was a washer up in a cake come restaurant nestled in the Back of the Inns in Norwich,near the old Norman castle standing tall and proud upon its grassy giant earthen mound.

The two of them quick paced headed for home 5 minutes away.
The weather having abated for a short while from chucking down entire rivers upon all those unlucky heads that had happened to be below it , had dried its self with a good strong wringing out! The boys coat could certainly testify to that, if only it could.

After Tea,while the radio drifted in and out of song, his Mom,read the Title of the book,and then opened it up.

The first book,never forgotten.

:coffee: It must be said that the book was never returned to the Library, it the entire building being burnt down to grey ashes and was blown away upon such a stormy wind. :eh: So what happened next? :coffee: The book was hidden in a secret place beneath the loose floor board in the boys bedroom.

:coffee: Look at that? :cowboy: Its a Tigger :sst: and he's the only one. :drool: ! :shock:!
:shock: I'm not surprised at anything that happens here. :eh: Me too.

:coffee: i need to get shelves a lifting up and out as if they were lofty sails.
Until the next one, take care,stay safe and yes help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 26 Jun 2021, 20:33

Just amazing Paul, so many books...
You must have more hours in a day then we have... :shock:
Love them a lot, ps are there Dutch books as well in that lot?
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jun 2021, 09:45

Well no Dutch open covers yet Remco, :thumbup:
but as you can see above i am working on it.
These open covers are from 'twitter',
and it seems one can find anything on Line these days.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 27 Jun 2021, 11:07

This one is a book cover about the art on....... "book covers"! :-D

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials