Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2020, 01:02

As i settled down to write this,there was such a harsh Gale Force Frances blowing outside fit enough to gain entry into the property with its cruel cold drafty fingers. So much so that in the stone hallway Bella's dog flap, flapped away with every natural blast of dividing force. Wishing i thought into tearing and separating one part of our house from another, and the one especially where i was sitting at my work station while tapping away on the key board. All this while the bamboo wind chimes outside added to every sudden gust with their own jungle rhythm... O', well i best get on before the roof of the house sails away to a place that ain't Fiddle Wood at all. :cowboy: Or even Kansas! Chipped in the cowboy who always sleeps with his boots on. :mrgreen: Be thankful for small mercies ! :sst: i do, said the little button. :eh: Me a'nall, said WingNut!

Some time last year,i needed to make corrugated iron sidings out of paper card and cardboard. You know the smaller stuff that had arrived in the flat pack mail from AMAZON,and so not that large stuff of cardboard boxes.Above a very thin piece of cardboard was laid into the place reserved for them,but on its own was way to flimsy to be of any real use. i had to make prefabricated strong sidings up for that task at hand. :mrgreen: And ahead of painting time.

i needed a paper card membrane in between two cardboard cutouts.
Yes that would do the trick.

:coffee: A differential sandwich! :mrgreen: Yes indeed BB.
:eh: A What? :sst: the difference between amounts of things!

Side one having been already stuck into place on the paper card.
Side two was ready to sit upon the glue without slipping about.

Now was that easy, or what??

One learns by way of repetition so three pictures showing the pealing off using a craft knife to leaver the thin paper away from each side. This must be done after the glue has dried off.

It was not finished yet.

Two pieces of paper card stuck onto top and bottom made these free standing sidings and very strong indeed. i painted them in enamel paint it being the case it makes the cardboard go super hard and stronger than plastic.

Now i must add here that P V A Glue added to Tap Water and thick Acrylic Paint, from the large cheap tubes will do likewise, but will need more than one application,but it does dry quick which is pretty good.

Meanwhile i'll try finding the railway bridge intact to show later.

i was recently toying with the idea of using such walls in other unusual settings of Time,Place and Space, perhaps as blast walls for Sci Fi Sets. In another dimension the 95th Rifles newly acquired arrived last week, and after washing them all in anti bat rat soap they were eager enough to volunteer for the shot above after spending so much time packaged away. :coffee: Dead keen they certainly were. C U Later, BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2020, 17:01

I fetched the original one from the trash!
I applied several coats of glue which soaked into the skined split paper and upon drying stiffened it to hardness that i required.
:eh: You see BB,had torn off the facing paper. :mrgreen: That's right WingNut!
:eh: It is ? My!My! I'm doing all right now though ain't i ?
:shock: It will never last.

Much later showing the crude harshness caused by time and weather.

In November of 1899
Sir Percy eyes the new fence line. I'mm..Yes that ought to keep the Bat Rat, out.
:sst: it was a fearsome thing that sprang up and came from the far east.

26th day of August 2020
It is very old now,but where could it be?
More to the point how will it paint up?
:sst: how will it stand up?
:mrgreen: And where is Percy?
:eh: Who?
:read: Well he was mentioned in the local newspaper.

:mrgreen: Peter will love this.
:coffee: Yes here it is in the DAILY BEANO. Newspaper Archives of December 31st ,1899.... SIR PERCY NOTS 'G' NIVIL, HAS MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARED
Queen Victoria,demands a Police Inquiry into this intrepid explorers disappearance..

:eh: After all that time,So what? :cowboy: It sure is a mystery Pards that needs looking into. said the cowboy who now needs new boots.
:sst: perhaps that bat rat got him after all?
:coffee: i guess we might see to work it out later? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2020, 18:22

Every little plant somehow has a beginning somewhere.
:mrgreen: A snip of wire.
:sst: a dip of glue.
:cowboy: In desert sand.
:coffee: That's right.
:eh: Madness!
:coffee: Eccentricity a certainty.

Remember The New Fence ?

:mrgreen: It is very old now.
:sst: but here percy remains the same, the Little Button declared.
:eh: Is it really Percy,though? Replied WingNut.
:mrgreen: Well the sums don't add up! It can't be.
:cowboy: Like me book learning in school,mine never added up either,said the cowboy in new boots, and winter warm woolly socks.

:coffee: Mine neither,said BB.

Percy's Garden

A simple sample test shot!
:mrgreen: BB,only has a 12 X 3 foot table to eventually fill up. :drool: :eh: What!

:eh: Yes that sure is Percy all right,but how?
:coffee: Well you see there is only one mold. :drool: ! :shock: ! :drool:! :shock: ! :drool: I'm not shocked.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 02 Sep 2020, 05:44

Another epic post in hard times. :yeah:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2020, 03:37

Thank you Jan,for commenting.
Hard times yes indeed. i hope to continue with a bean feast of fun,because that is what BEANO, means. It was interesting to see things started last October coming together in way of a few simple,sample,photographs!

SCRATCH BUILDING,
Can involve using many elements like plaster,sand and glue.

Stacking up needful things i will need elsewhere, a byproduct appeared by rumbling chance.

Being tidy comes hard for a fellow like me, but the large yogurt pot came in handy to pour the waste Plaster of Paris into after i cast up my little rubber mold. The plastic pot contained Chinchilla Dust,a sort of desert clay the likes of that got into my eyeballs many years ago in the Yemen and Oman in The Persian Gulf. It sure hurt the eyes as it worked its dusty way in when the desert winds stirred it up.
Anyway back to this odd ball topic of making do with what one might have.In this case i tumbled the contents of the large yogurt pot by hand,and as i did so rocks and boulders took on their own individual shapes.

They quickly dried in the dry clay and i fetched them out a few at a time. So much so the idea came to me just what they could be used for. Which in the way my mind works is kind of thinking way out of the proverbial box.
:eh: What box is that then? :mrgreen: You know WingNut ? Like they say down under,Out of the Square! :eh: You mean a square box?
:cowboy: Pards, This could go on all the live long day,said the cowboy with wrapped up comfy warm feet. :sst: he having brand new boots and warm woolen socks.

And so it was that as my castings piled up higher and higher,why there was a gradual build up of rather light weight rocks and boulders that could be used on a diorama of absolutely darn good fun. They dry out hard and can be soaked in cold tap water if very clean ones are wanted by those who like to buy their own chalk stuff rather than keeping it in a tub. :mrgreen: He He,it takes all sorts.

It was after i'd finished the last casting up process and the silent pot rumbling,that these two wondered onto my hobby style work table. They seemed to be lost in bewilderment , and showing such signs as mental discomfort in the surroundings that they found themselves dry eyed in.

:coffee: i wonder just what will happen next?
Enjoy yourself, It's later than you think. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Sep 2020, 03:38

The plan was to make a Moulding Box Cradle which in turn would create a Rubber Pattern.

So there was a great need to bend this hand made brickwork over and retain a curve.

:sst: all the parts needed are on view above.

:mrgreen: BB had need of a long handled large cheap brush,safety ruler,sharp pointed craft knife and a black pen. :cowboy: Paper Card ,Styrene Sheet, PVA Glue and Dress Makers Pins.

:coffee: And a box full of imaginative fun filled ideas.

Very simple shapes and construction method.

Held in place pins pushed in at differing angles.

:sst: the first wave :wave: :eh: and the second is here. :wave:

The brick work card and another were put into place and while still wet both were pressed into the shape required by 4 lb of steel shotgun pellets.
:mrgreen: Sold under description for Teddy Bears Weights.

The inside end edges were waterproofed by brushing on PVA Glue.

It is the thick and very best product i use.

Tea Break, before mixing up 2lb of Silicon Rubber which cost £3.50 rather than £50.00

:-D The make shift cradle a box of share simplicity was and still is very strong.

:sst: and so it was that the lump of rubber was pushed into the cradle after it had been coated with cooking oil. :eh: I hope there is enough vegetable oil left for frying chips?
:coffee: Sure there is. Stay Safe.Stay Well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Oct 2020, 09:38

For all those now in a curious mood as to what it is for? As soon as i finish cleaning the refuse bins with soap and hosed down and away water, i will plod upon this endeavour as soon as is possible, for most certainly these are hard perilous times fraught with danger, :sst: but the little button will always show the way from the end of the 1st wave to that of the beginning of the :wave: 2nd as the electric Loco rumbles by speedy like past us upon the special silver dipped rails. Such are the railway lines passing to,through and beyond Honey Well each day. They race with news flying past the Post Mill where corn and wild grown oats are being milled together by its heavily rolling stone Dutch Wheels,thereby force feeding every super shop with early morning grits for all. :cowboy: I love e'm Grits me old Ma, would always cook em up for us twenty eight hill billy kids! :eh: EH!

:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Oct 2020, 23:19

Un-pinned the cradle parts are removed.

Using a repetitive Pattern makes sure of well constructed brickwork within any length of tunnel.
:mrgreen: This is pretty cool if one is running trains fixed with film cameras.
:sst: that little on the move inner eye records everything.

Two styrene sidings lay ready for use.

They were pinned into place.

So the now reversed brick pattern will therefore produce practical right way facing brick courses when cast up. It being in the grand scheme of things of hobbyists having to make do with what they have. Or could have?

:sst: bb's state of the art tools make anything possible. Remarked the Little Button. who never talks in capitals.

:mrgreen: Along with the cheapest of brushes used for mixing, :cowboy: and the old butter knife is a great tool to use. :cowboy: And they sure get the job done and dusted Pards!

:sst: every little simple idea counts even when it is obvious to the naked eye.

:coffee: Never cut corners that cost pennies, :eh: Why not?
:mrgreen: When in return for doing so it will cost you Pounds! :eh: umm!

Flexing the rubber to break the seal.

:coffee: Once the air goes in,it will eventually pop out.

POP!

:sst: the little snow man sure looks happily surprised.

:cowboy: Yip sure is the unrolling case! :mrgreen: That the proof is in the pudding!

:eh: In bewilderment, 'What Pudding?' WingNut asked.

:coffee: O, yes 40 Pence a casting. :mrgreen: Well everything costs something.
:cowboy: It sure does. declared the Cowboy, that is now a wearing brand new boots. :sst:, and winter warm woolly socks.

The wedge was cut out before removel.

:winky: TUNNEL ENTRANCE
:coffee: You can't have one without the other. :eh: Yes of course,

Patterns made from styrene sheet.

LEGO Molding Boxes :mrgreen: for stuffing the rubber in.

A sharp craft knife thinned out the rubber around the edges to make it very flip flop,flexible.

Plaster of Paris .

With such flip flop edges the castings popped out very easily.

This one for the railway tunnel entrances of which there are six.
:sst: imagine the cost if bb,were to by them off the peg?

This one for the canal entrances.

A longer one for the waterway canals.

Sticking them together will cost roughly 50 Pence.

A middle and two ends to each tunnel 70 Pence to make. Rather than say £60.00. bought. However the inside is not produced as far as i know? So my system works out fine and Dandy even for a BEANO BOY such as me.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Oct 2020, 16:41

:coffee: Dear,dear little old me i forgot to place that picture now on view above. When combined with the starch,it saves half the cost of having to use the silicone saving quite a mint of money. :read: A bright winged saving of £3.00.Chipped in the happy book keeping Book Worm! :mrgreen: Now ain't that Cool?
:eh: Gee that's the cost of BB's three bags of weekly Wine Gums! :coffee: That's right WingNut. :eh: Yes,and i'm doing all right now upon the Forum ain't i.
:mrgreen: It will never last. :cowboy: That's for sure Pards. :sst: and it is a well recognized fact that forums do need at least one wingnut amongst its pages. :coffee: A process of adding more contrasting black , to the stark clean white of certain blank unfolding pages.

:winky: A Winky :wave: Wave Warning!

:coffee: Do remember to add some oil as well or you'll end up in frantic Halloween movements of trying to wrestle both hands free of the stuff. :mrgreen: If that happens, Good Luck.
:coffee: Remember the simplest things will help keep you safe, so stay well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2021, 23:01

ONCE UPON A TIME
THE RETURN TO THE COTTAGE... a scratch building paper programme

Although nearly finished in the June of 2020, it is now intended that i develop this part of the work so pieces needed to accomplish a finish were duly cut out of Picture Framing Card

and so what you see is the beginning of another fireplace and wall that will slip snug into place.

On view is the cottage ,its central walls with access to the rooms on the ground floor.
Plans available as usual are those deep set within my own head. :mrgreen: BB's head of reason.

So the lower ground floor with the exposed end wall showing above in the photograph ,will have a fireplace,cupboards and heavy-filled bookcases rising up each side wall. :coffee: C.U Soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 14 Mar 2021, 08:37

I will follow this again! Thanks for sharing, Paul!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2021, 00:53

The paper card is a very strong medium to work with ,for all my toy constructions.

and the first two cut pieces have been stuck together to form a
well designed bracket that clips into the cottage recessed end wall.
This will mean this 7 X 2 cm clip in part can be removed any time
to aid the work and above all the painting when it's finished.

Sure is not a pretty sight to set an eyeball upon i know.

This would at this point be dried out until it was tacky to the finger touch.

So my guidance piece for chimney breast wall ,fireplace and cupboards
is set into practiced place and is ready for the next stage. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2021, 13:59

Thanks for commenting Jan,
and thank you kostis Ornerakis,for pressing the like button too.
Both of you and all here are most welcome to wander a
while longer down another rickety pathway of mine.

My kind of side ways thinking is far from being normal,
but the folds of age eventually fall down upon the paper ,and pieces
cut float together to whatever new tumbledown condition i need.

:mrgreen: Thinking outside the box :sst: yes while making one!

:coffee: In my case very true. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by sansovino on 17 Mar 2021, 17:07

I like your very informative and creative tutorials.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2021, 19:02

Thank you sansovino,
i hope to add a little something more later tonight.
My average day seems to be very well full up during this time.
:eh: I cannot think why? :coffee: Time will tell i guess.
Stay Safe Everybody. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Mar 2021, 23:28

Some might well remember the cast iron ovens,with fireplace for the cottage? Image
For all those who do not,please click upon the Link above if you wish to see that take shape.

:coffee: Two narrow strips were to be stuck into play upon this topsy turvy day,
and silly me i stuck the wrong size piece on,but guys i like to show my mistakes
because it 's another element of mathematical fun to write about.
:mrgreen: Yes BB,got his sums wrong again. :eh: What are these sums?
:cowboy: Yip! WingNut,is awake. :sst: but luckily for us not wide awake.

:coffee: Why use a brush for white glue when an off-cut will do.
:mrgreen: An off-cut,it's the measured out piece BB,got wrong! :eh:
:eh: So it's wrong but BB,still used it? :cowboy: Sure he did for another
PVA slap dash purpose. :eh: Eh! So it ain't wrong after all?
:coffee: Well as seen above i simply used a mistake to help stick the
correct size sides on.

:coffee: And so it was that the front fell into place. :eh: Ok,so that's not a mistake?
:mrgreen: Who knows,it just might turn out to be one.
:sst: now poor wingnut looks very confused. :eh: Eh! I do?
:mrgreen: Sure you do WingNut, it's called blending in.

:cowboy: Look Ere, is a right good sum. :eh: What does it mean?
:mrgreen: It is simply info for all those looking in for a visit.
:eh: I sure needs some Headucation.
:coffee: Well expressed WingNut, i could've never said that better.
:oops: i never blend in anywhere myself. :sst: and yet you are here.

:cowboy: 28 mm Size. :eh: Will it fit? :read: Of course it will,said the well educated Book Worm.

:coffee: There will be more to this puzzle a little later.
Stay safe,you know what i mean? BB
Last edited by Peter on 19 Mar 2021, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 19 Mar 2021, 09:01

Looks nice so far Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 20 Mar 2021, 06:09

Looking good, your edition to the cardboard story. What might happens now... The bookworms asks :read:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Mar 2021, 12:40

Hi Jan,
There are other stages in the film can,which will be posted real soon.
:read: Thank's for using the well educated Book Worm,he's a very useful way of asking indirect questions.
In fact many of those smillies are, and in doing so help others to learn written English without even realising it. Plus emoji's can be used in a fun flowing way.

Ok guys,stay safe out there, and I'll see you on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Mar 2021, 17:17

Thank you Peter.
This is another learning curb for myself, and the main aim is to produce a visual pleasing combination of things ,rather than just leaving a stark end wall to view. Shrinking the unit into the wall after painting, comes to mind. Whether it will please the cameras eye in a confined three by two and a half inch space is all together another thing. i will have to wait and see. :sst: and so you shall bb.

:coffee: Thank you little button.

The top of each cupboard has been stuck into place,and it fits into the building with a close fitting click! It always pays to check that each stage fits when dealing with tight enclosed spaces.

Sir Percival,back from discovering strange new worlds seemed pleased to see the cottage falling back into the shape he remembered it to be in long ago.

O what blotchy lines of penmanship..... such as it was and is.

With the inner sides stuck into fixed solid place i moved forwards to figure out where the outer sides would reside, and i did find out that a thumb full of helpfulness was so handy to have especially at that or this odd type tutorial time. :mrgreen: BB's crazy odd ball English. :eh: I understood every word as any average WingNut should.

Blue butting...

...Up to square.

Set into square are the spectacle of brush , gluepot ,paper and pen.

i decided to ignore the top line as really it was unimportant.
Such are the changers of the scratch-builders free will, but it will work out OK in the end.

The fixing point now suspended topside did a good solid topping any shelving unit would ever wish to have, :sst: well if they could ever decide to have such a say upon the matter.

The square paper card slipped into place in measuring style between each supportive shelf thereby ticking each one present and correct.

The cast iron fireplace and mantelpiece is to be cut out next.

:coffee: Until the next one. Take care. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials