Tutorials

needful things i need elsewhere

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Nov 2019, 15:33

I'm still hoping to finish my old (very old, well rather ancient) project Battle of Gata Forest which were thought early March so I need trees without leaves. Your trees look at least as good as the expensive ones or a bit better!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 15:49

Well thank you for saying that Gunnar. Some of the trees one can buy are rather naff ugly things that look awfully nice to those who want and buy them. :-D i must not upset anyone today.
The next cheap playful stage is the adding of the twiggy bits without leaves. So that might be a good guide for winters dreamy sleeping trees? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2019, 12:14

Until more wire arrived ,and it did today. I have been busy coating the trees on view,and now they are ready for painting.

:coffee: They all seem a dance troop of enthusiastic waving trees. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2019, 10:45

.......:winky: ONWARDS TO BB`s GREENWOOD

:sst: and without a robin hood or a merry man in sight. Mentioned the little button that never speaks in capitals. :eh: That`s because he and them never existed in the first place.______ :coffee: What you mean like you Wing Nut?____ :eh: Eh!
:read: BB, believes if they be jotted down upon the page they do exit in the mind that is a reading of them. :coffee: Or indeed the mind that is writing of them. :cowboy: Darn it.Ya mean Wing Nut, exists?
:winky: Yip!_ :eh: i do. Thanks.

The Cast included
:winky: Mr Winky
:sst: The Little Button
:eh: Wing Nut
:read: The Book Worm
:cowboy: The Cow Boy______ Who always sleeps in his boots
:coffee: And of course BB

THE GREENWOOD

Well the work creating Eight,Five and Three inch Tree`s continues on with another Six Tree`s added to the Wood Pile. Now it must be noted that this is not speed tree making but one of taking my time. However once i got used to what was needed in my process things did tend to be quicker. Well any type of production line is quicker and a lot easy'er than just making one or two or even three.

It took me 20 Minutes, to cut 27 pieces of wire, bend and twist them into shape, plus 10 mins to dip and brush glue upon each and every tree. Simple clean and with no sharp ends to this soft wire winding. So thirty minutes to make one armature is kinda a bargain. It cost my, `Rich Self ',the princely sum of £2.38 to make 6 ,five inch tree armatures. Plus 6 Pence for the p v a glue.

This is showing the first coat of glue,and there will another one on this Silver Birch tree later.

Today is yet to be another highly relaxing day, and happily one that should see the first 50 Tree`s standing up upon their own three feet. Then on my tomorrow, the start of another batch of trees will begin. :mrgreen: Yes the place is filling up with them.

All my trees will be brought to the same standard description as is set down above, :coffee: before making their individual bases which they can paddle their own tired out feet in.

For Winter Tree`s

Just add thinner wire twiggy bits to the armature,
:coffee: and then paint them in the icey colour of your dreams. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 18 Nov 2019, 14:52

Excellent made trees Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2019, 02:16

Thank you Peter. :thumbup:

Work on the woodland tree armatures have now reached the halfway point. More wire has been ordered from E Bay to finish making the rest. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2019, 02:08

:mrgreen: The place is filling up. :sst: it sure is,said the Little Button.

Yes i am still a twisting the soft garden wire into something that resembles a tree,
which keeps me busy while i listen to the TV.

Image SILVER BIRCH TREE

............................. :winky: Here the armature has had a first coat of glue.

i make five then glue them all up. :eh: Eh!

i`ve ordered a good stash of JARVIS Bush and Tree foliage, plus Static Grass, it being 2 Light Green. 2 Dark Green and 1 of Straw color.

.............................:winky: THE BATTLE FOR THE HEDGEROW

:eh: Eh? O yes and__________ THE WOOD BEYOND
:cowboy: Bring it on BB!

:coffee: With well over 70 Tree`s already twisted and prepared for painting i`ve started work on some neglected Hawthorne Hedge Row, mainly due to lack of care on the part of the land owners. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2019, 15:04

Today
The Mail Lady arrived all wrapped up against that cold wet falling from the overcast sky, and delivered a bundle of brown bagged parcels along with the emotive junk mail that duly redirected in seconds flew into the ever hungry recycling trash bin of 'what goes around comes around'.

And so it was i began this.........

..................................... :winky: A DRONE OVER FIDDLE WOOD

:mrgreen: Not really BB, can`t afford one.

:cowboy: So he did the next best thing Pards.

:sst: he grew each tree from the roots up.

:eh: Eh? i`m confused!

:read: So is poor BB.

i took over part of Mrs B`s Kitchen while she was walking Bella, our dog.
So far, above is most of my trees. :coffee: i like the Panoramic View best in the hobby, but it does take ages getting there. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 30 Nov 2019, 10:15

Beano Boy wrote:i like the Panoramic View best in the hobby, but it does take ages getting there. BB

As far as I know you, you will make it! :-D
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Nov 2019, 17:36

............................................. :winky: BB, WILL BE A SMOKING!

i just bought the much needed tool above that will chop up to fine, Rubber Foam. i can then color it with paint, squeeze it out and let it dry while being spread out thin. Later i will stick it into place upon my wire tree`s. This will save me a small fortune as buying hobby-style stuff for scattering upon field and upon trees and hedgerows is a very expensive project indeed.

One or two trees is not much of a layout of money to spend,so do buy the stuff.

My Wood is rather sprawling and it will include TEA too. :coffee: An Accepted Challenge!

Although the money is not my main concern ,i always have tried to show the pathway of making ones own stuff, and i can only do that by making due myself on a modest outlay of funds. So the £29.00 i spent upon the blender will save me both time and money. Afterwards my Mrs B,can also use it in the Kitchen too,as i have no intention of pouring paint into it along with rubber foam.

:read: Water and Foam only._________ :mrgreen: Boy that Book Worm is smart.
:eh: Only because he spends all his time chewing upon inky black words.
:sst: you should see his teeth ? Said the Little Button. :shock: Shocked !
:cowboy: You ought ta see the color of mine ? Asked the cigar chewing Cowboy. :eh: YUK!

Thank you jan, :thumbup:

The pathway that leads the way of getting there is very clear indeed.
Mrs B,arrived home from the busy city with a huge bin bag of foam off-cuts from Norwich Market Place. The little bag of 25 grams from JAVIS COUNTRYSIDE SCENICS cost £2.99.
The cost of a chair full of off-cuts £5.00 :thumbup: if ya don`t ask you won`t get.

:cowboy: BB, will burn the motor out within the first day of sponging.
:mrgreen: Yes, He`ll be a Smoking !
:coffee: Well it`s been fun again chin wagging waffle upon the Forum today.__ C U all Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Dec 2019, 05:55

................................ :winky: BB`s TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

:-D i wonder,is there really such a brick and mortar place?

The humble washing up sponge used mostly in our so called clean up society!
i have had a few of these stashed away for years for my own formulated technique.

These can play a part in many a modeling adventure. The Scourer bottoms are torn off and pulled apart by finger and thumb which will make it very soft,but very adaptable for this can now be used for building up the little twiggy bits high upon my tree-tops. A tiny amount pulled out fine will go along way making a good foundation for the leaf canopy of ones own added choice. Even to be had is Green Tea.
:mrgreen: Now food for thought,that there is an idea!

As some might remember,
i the widows son failed with my Mothers weekly supply of Tea ,
when i was just a small green spout knowing naught.
Even that naught meant nothing at all.
:eh: 000000 !
:sst: o, nothing.

i figure to use it under the trees where a small sprinkle of it over glue will represent that dark damp area around the woodland tree roots. :mrgreen: There`s plenty of tree`s in and around here for inspiration. :sst: moss upon moss too, mentioned the bright little Button. :mrgreen: Meandering pathways can often come into such playtime themes too.

This small sample of rubber foam picked off by finger and thumb, then soaked in tap water dried very quickly over night. Well at least my night of only 3 hours sleep. As we have Bella our contented companion dog, that eats anything upon the floor, having dry static foam flying about and sticking everywhere is not a good idea to pick over for long periods,but this little sample was tried,dried and tested. With a good cheap end result.

............................................... :winky: ANOTHER OPTION TO TAKE

My Mrs B, kindly bought these for me.

They are more than twice as large as those upon the sponges.

It is the simple things that often please the most, i find.

Just one of these can be used as explained, or kept as they are for rooftop apex things.

:coffee: If you have any questions or indeed ideas,
just mention them here or in your very own Topic.
That will help keep the round about working. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2019, 01:33

......................... :winky: THE CREEPING HAWTHORN RUN OF WICKED HEDGEROW FUN

Any which way pattern of trees can be achieved. Both single or doubled up they can play a displayed part on any layout i can dream up. Above all, all will interlock with each other, and come apart ,making it easier to store stashed up,in plastic draws. The wire to make 27 of these individual trees cost £3.79, and to finish each of these will involve a few Pennies more, for glue, base, paint and canopy.

:coffee: Fantasy wise i wanted them to look wickedly creepy with outstretched thorny fingers. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Graeme on 02 Dec 2019, 02:55

Beano Boy wrote:Fantasy wise i wanted them to look wickedly creepy with outstretched thorny fingers.

Works for me.

All of these trees look great, I thought the winter tree looked very effective.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Dec 2019, 10:38

These look very good! The forest do look a little creepy, but that's totally normal! And a smoking in Swedish means a tuxedo, so should we have a tuxedo when this is finished? Of course we shall!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 02 Dec 2019, 17:51

What did you get for dinner that evening? :mrgreen:

Great trees so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2019, 22:45

i replenished supplies today,and reordered the 50 Mt Wire, that i`ll turn a twist into to create the large apple trees,based upon those of my childhood days, which i have found great delight in remembering and therefore a jolly good apple-sauce of inspiration in order to make mine.

i being the growing down lad that i am made have made 3 already as can be seen below.

The long roots are made for setting into bases.
A wonderful thing not yet formulated by my good self yet.
They must be made better than those of my 18 year old tree`s.....
.. but simple minded must last just as long.
My own mixture of combined PVA Glue & Plaster of Paris should do the trick. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 02 Dec 2019, 22:50

OMG! He's planning to fill his whole house with those trees! Poor Mrs Beano Boy! :(

How big is that last one Paul?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2019, 22:53

Ops! Sorry one in the wrong place,
and one photograph took a flying double tumble,
upon remembering how to do summer salts. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2019, 23:27

As i recall Mrs B,and i had Fish & Chips that night Peter.
Although not from the local Chippy!
The fish being fresh Cod straight off the fishing boat in Lowestoft.

Once those tree`s are settled into a resin base,and trimmed up with homemade stuff,
they will be 12 CM high from the un-level toy town ground, and the top 14 CM Circumference.
Some will be slightly smaller, and i could easily include the apples if i want to.

Home made trees are ideal for winter scenes just add twiggy bits
using fuse wire and spray them then dry brush for rustic detail.

Some of these trees will end up in and around my little town of Honey Well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Dec 2019, 11:37

................... :winky: BB`s 500 WATT BLENDING MACHINE

:mrgreen: It also grinds Coffee, so Cat Litter, can be ground up for basing material on a grand scale.
:eh: Eh?
:cowboy: That clay is used in industry to produce green sand molds in foundries.

A little bit of Sponge.

Small amounts only need doing at one given time.

Torn up into rough and ready squares to avoid the machine jolting!

To avoid the stuff floating about to much.

It was tossed into the class jug , half a cup of tap water added, and the sponge was pushed down to squeeze out the air, and soak up the water...... to avoid machine jolting!

Not shown here but,yes i did put the top section on.

15 Seconds ......

.......... BUZZZZZZ!

Perfect Mashing!

Well pleased with the result it was returned to a large yogurt tub where color will be added to it later.

I did a small amount of the sponge Mrs B, fetched home for me.

:coffee: So all is now ready to do colour-wash samples. Perhaps some might find it interesting.BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials