Tutorials

needful things i need elsewhere

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Jul 2019, 23:59

As i need make chimneys i opened up this new topic,
which i hope some of you guys might find interesting
as it will deal with scratch-building on the cheap.

This time dealing with the needs of castle and homes such as they are.

Balsa Wood, measured out and scribed with cheap inky black pen. i found out long ago, not to over complicate the brick pattern design on my toys. Here we have a basic level where the Balsa has been cut to form two parts. These parts were where a jutting out design was stuck into place on top of the two pieces. Then a little while later the two parts were once more made complete by sticking them together with P V A Glue. The oblong paper card on the bottom serves as lead flashing and was simply stuck onto the bottom sloop that corresponds with the apex of the roof of my building. So each will stand up level.

Hopefully the tall chimneys will add extra interest to the bland small rooftops,and produce a style where small actually seems to be much larger than it really is. An illusion of presented idea`s produced with a good but highly affordable camera .

There are eight parts that make up most of the chimneys that i need. However smaller ones will also be scratch-built by hand. So with Balsa and Paper Card and P V A Glue,this is the start of that which is to come.

Small pieces of paper card cap off each and everyone to come. So i`ll catch you later for updates to do with painting and installing these things upon fantasy topics. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jul 2019, 04:25

The first four samples lay upon the inner silver of a milk carton. :eh: Y is BB,cutting up milk cartons ? :sst: that is for later, said the patient little button who never speaks in capitals.
:cowboy: E opens e`m up ta make sure they`re empty. :eh: EH?

:mrgreen: Yes it`s smelly old fashioned gloss paint,
:sst: but i think there is a good reason in the smelliness of such an odd occasion?
:cowboy: i bet U my old socks it was 4 free?
:joker: No bet you keep e`m.

:coffee: It all started when i happened to find an old spoon.
It seemed such a waste not to use it. So i opened up that tin. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2019, 10:54

i always find it helpful indeed to have lots of things in my stash box of very odds and ends.

Talking so of such odd things, here these cap on a tidy ending to all my handy paper spun top pots. They will all be painted over, but their classic shape and style will 4 a long time remain. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2019, 12:48

:coffee: i often need many a differing shape in art dodging design so get to work creating them when time allows, and oddly they are things taken for granted while others when the things are completed remain totally unseen.

Winding the chimney pots,

While i mark this paper card out.

Soon it was cut into neat little sections.

The other job was laid out for quick sized production.

This one shape needed was marked out, and all the stonework had before hand danced and shuffled about along each inky highway to their final place. What will become of them all i often wonder?

Mr Tippings in charge of quality control told Mr Mouse,`things for topping off rooftops were moving along just fine and dandy.' Mr Mouse, with a full smile from ear to ear, agreed although he totally was at a loss of understanding how such repetitive procedure potted along for all the fine and dandy good.

The cutting having been nicely-slicely done provided a rather smallish flouting apart waste.
`We must cut out some of this wastage', Mr Mouse declared Mr Tippings. ___Smilling so from ear to ear Mr Mouse replied, BB, is most certainly cutting that out. `Fine and Dandy', they both agreed upon as if it were to be an ending to a strange hip hop along song.

Pots of rolled up sticky fun did indeed take a turn or two between fingers and thumbs.

The sliced halfway through lines did make it possible now to bend it into shape.

It will turn into a well defined little box,

and a kind of jolly good platform too.

Easy to do fold slim fitting oblong shapes slipped nicely into their sticky little fixed in place.

They are the simplest inner brackets that anyone could ever wish to see.

:coffee: Yes, i have indeed written of Mr Tippings and Mr Mouse, before.
If only i could remember where?

viewtopic.php?t=16680#p184981

:sst: `it be here above', directed the little button. :coffee: Yes i remember it well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by ironzentaur on 27 Jul 2019, 22:13

Inspiring! I like your Posts!!!
Thanks for your thougts...
ironzentaur  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2019, 15:52

i have been asked several times over in the past how things have been done ?
So i opened this topic to trickle a out few ideas on how to make affordable scratch building stuff.
i decided to show small examples rather than entire builds. Hopefully these will show a pathway that will aid others to dress up their own little boxes. :sst: yes aid the design of others.

Many years ago i taught willing to learn students on The Adult Education Programme, here in the nearby city of Norwich. It was really great fun and an honer to serve the community for free. Money enough i had,and time upon my hands that was governed only by the ticking seconds of my wind up clock. A clock that never over shadowed me like the tall concrete one at Hereford.

Here is set out a downwards scrolling pattern of wondering scratch building tips.

With the draft inked out before hand.

For buildings that require sandstone edging.

Good Quality Picture Framing Paper Card. A 1 Size £3.45 a Sheet.

With a craft-knife the card was scored halfway through down the middle dark line with a super
pointed sharp blade.

The faint lines defined where the paper card waste was cut out.

So here i have a flat strip but before the next stage i have placed a little something extra below.

For edging doors and windows.

This pattern can be used.

The corner fold is shown on the middle strip.

By scoring along that dark line it made it possible to fold the card leaving each side still attached
and acting like a hinge.

In way of illustration i cut this example out. It too was scored halfway through to allow it to bend.

So this is how stone edging can be used. One more point is that the heavy deep scribing with a pen between the stone blocks gives a nicely defined appearance to each corner of any sized building.

After these are stuck into place a bead of waterproof p v a glue can and will be brushed into the wide open gap and left to dry.

The small tower clock in Honey Well, that served the station well for nearly 90 years was badly damaged in an air raid in the November of 1942, and so shortly there after was demolished. It was never replaced so that might be a simple project for later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2019, 15:54

Remembering the castle towers i knocked up a crude design pattern out of waste paper card and sellotape. There is no point spending to much time on creating sample designs. i will use this to determine how many angles i need to do to make it worthy of eye ball viewing.

So using the camera which i class as a magic tool i get to use it like now for a good outlaying purpose. So this little odd shape was put into place, and by doing so more fresh ideas flowed as to what needs doing next before the actual toy top stairwell with doorway and roof top and chimneys are being drawn up.

.................:winky: LET`S SEE THE ROUGH AROUND THE EDGES PHOTOGRAPH RESULTS

:mrgreen: Enjoy while BB, is playing.

For sure others will jut out and overhang tower walls.
:mrgreen: Over hanging privy`s too.
:sst: o`, my they were certainly high up and rather bum icing drafty. :shock: :shock: :shock: :

I typed the latter out a few days ago.

AN EXAMPLE OF ONE OF MY OTHER STAIRWELL

Using paper card ,a ruler and pen, a good craft knife along with waterproof p v a glue and paint, it is possible to make off the shelf stuff like the stairwell chimneys of my tower. i made this years ago but i am so behind now with my hobby style work due to illness in my head.

So i placed this example here in order to show an end result of plain old fashioned paper cutting. A gift passed onto me by my Dear Mother 65 years ago. Of course she never made castles,but it was by way of using her examples of making paper flowers,that i was able to expand upon that foundation of interest she laid out in my mind.

:coffee: From five years old to seventy i am still making paper cut out toys.Puppets and hot air balloons were my favourite.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17417#p191668

My topic above has the chimney making section missing. i will try and find that upon my pc files with a view of replacing them. Stay safe and have fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Aug 2019, 16:22

In the last posting, :oops:
i got my English sentence wrong, :eh: Ah?_ :mrgreen: That really confused Wingnut for sure.
i meant to write, `Why buy off the shelf stuff,when your own creative work can be done cheaply?'
Unique comes to my mind, because you alone will have one whatever it is? Although to share how to do it, is a something i would suggest others to do too. It only takes a few extra seconds to snap pictures and a few more minute to post them ,and type a few thoughts down here. :-D
:coffee: Writing so, will improve your English usage no-end. Which can be very helpful for you to do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Aug 2019, 20:02

Here paper card comes into play. Well it is a start of a lift off section.

This structure takes up one third of the top area.
The corner edged in stone has been trimmed at the top.
Windows and door already made will follow soon.

With the circumference of the tower marked out and diameter line drawn, a wider circle gave me the bottom section of that which i am scratch building. It will jut out from the tower by that piece shown above cut out.
With the sloop of the roof being different from the other i`ve made, i need to make a fresh brick chimney up.

The back of this structure which i rolled with a metal bar to make it form a curved wall was glued up, but still needed something to keep it in place while the glue dried. So i used 50 Meters of 3 mm Para-cord around and around it did the forming. Pleased with myself i thought sometimes overkill can be applied. It was successful and with that curved wall in place now the bottom stonework can be constructed in a quirky way.

I still have lots of work to do on the curved roof of this oddity.

It was in the olden times well before any tick tock clock was ever invented,
that a wondering sorcerer was granted a Royal Charter from a long ago forgotten King.
Stating that he who had two left feet ,could occupy this very tower and continue his works unhindered, and that he would be well catered for in all his needs.
However casting of spells do not always go as planned..... To be Continued :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Aug 2019, 16:07

All Scribed Out

A Full Half Circle

The top piece cut out.

All Glued Into Place

Rolled with a metal bar.

Sewing Clips

The Underside Was Marked Out Too

The Piece Cut Out Was Turned Over

This Is Where The Lead Flashing Will Go

:coffee: Way back to those olden times now and the story.

The King was now growing very worried due to the result of spells which were ever on the increase especially when he woke up one morning to find that he now had two right feet.

:sst: o`, my that ain`t good.

Meanwhile the Sorcerer with two left feet was busy mixing spells while thumbing his way anxiously through the blank pages of a magic unwritten book. In fact Spells were flying about all over the place and his tower began to take on many a shape. It now looked like some long ago Egyptian Bird, for it did suddenly spring into action with the oddest of wings, and did flutter about while every little change fell upon it.

..... To be Continued

:mrgreen: Perhapes they could swop slippers and shoes?

:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Aug 2019, 01:17

In my Mrs B`s kitchen i took the pictures.

i made this for sliding. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2019, 20:09

Nice tutorial again Paul! :thumbup:

I think I saw Harry Potter somewhere! :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 17 Aug 2019, 11:30

So many ideas! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2019, 22:09

:coffee: Back into the story.... :cowboy: Or slightly out of it...

With the spinning tower now most certainly gaining momentum, the Sorcerer left it during a load involuntary sneeze that catapulted him into the future of the most weirdest kind.
:eh: You mean he`s left?
:mrgreen: He sure has Wingnut.

The King now back to his normal dancing left and right footed self,was very glad that the tower although still spinning would soon hopefully be fit for some kind of purpose.
However the hopes of Kings are often restrained due to their inherited genetic madness.
For this King who was left with a wide open staring brown eye ,and a blue flickering cross-eyed one he certainly looked amazing to everyone around him. Who by the way now all had one black fish-like eye, and two left jumping feet. :sst: no, no , not hopping about cyclopes ?
:read: I guess we will have to see,as it is all up to BB?

.......................................... :winky: The Paper Railway Bridge

i start again another one from scratch. The other one from yesteryear was thrown out to land fill.

Now cut out both sides are slightly revealed.

Three layers thick and the supportive plates are nearly all stuck on both side of each side of the bridge.

Here all the side plates are fixed into their own allotted space.

They will eventually stand upright like this,
but of course without my trembling hand.

:coffee: Yes Jan, idea`s come thick and fast,
then the thought of them are soon gone in a matter of seconds. Have fun BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Aug 2019, 09:48

A little sample before going headlong into an untried idea, that may not work.
Two holes were filled with resin glue and two steel shot gun pellets
carefully dropped into plunking place.
A short while later they were lightly pressed with my thumb , and Tap! tap! ___tap! tap! Tap!
:cowboy: Hey! That`s the drum roll of the USA Army.
And so it was that they were both firmly fixed .

Poking the holes in the paper card.
These will allow for the metal pellet to settle into a firm foundation place.

i found it very quick and easy to make a hole,
and then fill it with glue using a large sized pin,
and then just dropping a steel pellet into place.

The tools i used :-D _______________ Anything to make the job simple. ;-)

:coffee: It took around about an hour of my time to complete this stage of the bridge.
All firmly fixed enough for my trains to rattle by, and over in noisy display. BB
:mrgreen: But it ain`t quite finished yet. :eh: What?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Aug 2019, 15:59

:read: As the paper snips and off cuts build up sometimes extra tension does too.
:winky: Yes in more ways than one.

The top plates are cut out to size and are well marked out for every push through hole. However sticking the steel into place will have to wait a while.

And so it was....... this section was stuck into place.

:mrgreen: Of course you guys being bright realize that this is a Wind Up?

:eh: You mean?
:mrgreen: I most certainly do. :drool: :shock: :shock: This ain`t on.
:cowboy: Get some rope that will take BB`s over sized weight?
:sst: bb, would never place such a thing on this forum.
:coffee: Well i sort of did. :shock:! :shock:! :shock: ! :shock:! :shock: !
:cowboy: Darn it. Wheres the nearest tree? :mad: :mad: :mad: Over their.
:sst: gulp! poor bb. what have you done?

:mrgreen: Come on BB,answer the question?

:coffee: It`s only a wind up radio. :shock: ! :shock: ! :shock: ! :drool:___ :eh: Eh?
:cowboy: Shucks BB, i was just a joshing!

:coffee: i often sit down to save my energy
and listen to my wind up radio,
that save me a little more. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Aug 2019, 22:55

................................................. :winky: MAKING THE BOXES UP

:cowboy: There they were two fronts :mrgreen: four sides :sst: and two plain blank back`s.

Preparing the parts needed.

The brackets were marked out onto the paper card, cut out and lightly scored down their middle so they folded up to form eventually a right angle.

The formation of the boxes soon took place with white glue on all edged to be stuck together.

The brackets were well coated and slid into place. Those were left for 5 minutes then the ruler became a press to aid forming a good bonded corner.

There they stand upright and waiting for the next piece of the puzzle to be put into place.

:mrgreen: However first things first. :sst: it`s called multitasking . :cowboy: Yip Surrey Pard's, on the other bits.__ :coffee: Bits that were once in pieces. :eh: EH?

A word to the wise. The shot gun pellets are sold in bags for placing inside the butt end of Teddy Bears, so that they easily sit upon shelves. :winky: Although in his younger days BB, did use them for making up fragmentation grenades. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :coffee: Yes very true.

These were a bit awkward so i needed something to help stand them up.

So while the little boxes dried out a wee bit, i was adding metal shot to the bridges curved tops.
The box supported them fine as i placed eight at a time.
:mrgreen: It was a case of popping 252 pellets into place.
Another 4010 were anchored to the sides.
:mrgreen: That`s nice work if you can get it?

............................... :winky: FIXING THE BOTTOM TO THE BOXES

:mrgreen: Or if you like. Fixing the boxes to the bottoms.

My system for using glue is two fold.
One. give a good coating like buttering bread.
Two, leave it for a few minutes to go tacky, then add more glue.

This results is instant bonding.
So there`s no holding pieces together waiting for them to stick.
:sst: and the wet glue pushed out seals the edges nicely.

Then add a really heavy book. In fact pile as many as you like on top.
This construction is very reliably strong. :sst: tried and tested true.

Four heavy books.

A few cans

Basic Engineering teaches that these structures can even be placed upside down and still work.
:sst: ain`t that kinda cool?
:cowboy: It sure is getting crazy around here.
:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2019, 12:22

A slip of an 0, the number was 410 and not 4010.
i often thought the Tax Man did likewise when taxing my pension.
Although drum roll please.
i no longer pay taxes on my pension .
It being now an age related thing. C U Soon BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2019, 22:10

Paper picture framing card and the smallest size cardboard which came by way of an AMAZON delivery. So i am going to be using lots of this in the near future.

My new idea, but will it work?

The glue on the paper card was lightly brushed on ,and the cardboard was stuck onto both sides.

i had just invented a paper card sandwich.
now i needed to wait until the glue had dried

A while longer and the facing paper needed peeling off using a craft knife to leaver it up.

The other side followed suit.

It easily came off. i will paint everything with S M Paint, as this will transform it into something much better than plastic.

Yes my idea worked.

I made corrugated metal railway sidings to go on each end of my bridge.

:mrgreen: they ain`t finished yet though. :coffee: That`s right.
All the parts needed to construct the bridge have now been made.

:coffee: There was a slight accident . :mrgreen: A Great Sploshing job BB.

Painting is next. Perhaps during the weekend. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2019, 22:45

Now i must admit that i am a wee bit clumsy at overturning things. Well the bridge parts i`ve moved several times,and thud, thud, they both often fell down and each time not one ball was sent a flying from those glued up points.

:cowboy: Yes siree! Buckshot works just fine_____ :sst: and without having to fire a shotgun.

Yes this was an interesting double sided corrugated idea to share. The thin scraggy pieces of cardboard will just stick to itself during the first paint primmer put on them.

:coffee: The railway track should be coming into play real soon. :cowboy: Can't you hear that whistle blowing. C U Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials