Tutorials

needful things i need elsewhere

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Oct 2019, 00:55

................................................. :winky: AS PROMISED

................................................. :mrgreen: A FITTING END

:cowboy: But not of play.

:coffee: For the light from any window
should always shine upon a little something. :sst: very true.

:mrgreen: The remains of Bella`s play ball is on the floor. :eh: Eh!

:-D One day Steam Loco`s pulling their trains
will rattle by every 28 seconds on a very busy line.

AIRFIX Figures produced by Dapol.

The old AIRFIX fellow is 48 years old.
:sst: and lives in a match box along with others of his kind.

:coffee: i think this will do 4 now. :cowboy: It sure will Pard!

:eh: An end,but hopefully not of me? :sst: of course not you silly old wingnut.
:read: So what is next? :winky: We will just have to wait and see.
:coffee: C U Guys Soon. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Oct 2019, 09:57

Very nice to see! And your window photo is very nice! That look older than 48 years though! :-D As said, very nice to see all, and I am a little envious of your weather!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Oct 2019, 15:04

Whatever the weather the little garden always shines.
The antiquated walls were made mostly from brick and stone that had been fly tipped in our beautiful local wood, :-D and this tiny garden one of five is now 18 years old.

Mrs B, and i raised many a smile and rather odd looks from passer by`s in their tin pressed cars ,as we loaded our wheel barrows up with the dumped brick rubble and walked miles back and fourth to get it. In the end the little retaining walls for our dogs, with closed garden gate was labor cost free, as we did it all ourselves,while doing quite a public service too.
:coffee: i remember well my worse for wear wonky wheel barrow i`d found dumped also had a flat tire. During a heatwave of that summer they certainly were mad-cap fun filled wheel barrow days of adventure working and laughing together. :thumbup:

i kinda pity others who have never lived the happy for free,
day light giggling dream. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Graeme on 18 Oct 2019, 02:22

Lovely story. Well done to you and Mrs B for cleaning up your local wood. :thumbup:

And your beautifully engineered bridge looks good to carry trains for the next 200 years. :-D
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 23 Oct 2019, 14:08

Your bridge is really a masterpiece! Lovely and all the old Airfix fellows as well.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 24 Oct 2019, 14:27

Wonderfull bridge Paul! And that is a very young man! :-D ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2019, 18:46

Well thank you kindly guys. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Oct 2019, 01:42

:coffee: Has anyone seen my Specs? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Oct 2019, 08:00

That is really "needful things you need elsewhere" ! :-D And, no, I haven't seen them. Been an expert at misplacing mine in about 40 years so I'm not really an expert finding those, but losing!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Graeme on 26 Oct 2019, 03:03

They're very difficult things to find... If you don't have your glasses. :xd:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Oct 2019, 19:59

Lucky these +1/25 hobby specs i bought in a large job lot from E Bay are easy to find while i use my rather expensive glasses to do so.
Four pairs of large lens hobby specs for £11.84

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sme/gorblefashio ... 7675.m2197

:cowboy: A real good helpful Link to aid the Arts in others.
:coffee: That`s a real cool price for needful things. BB
__ :shock: :drool: We need a pair. :eh: Me anall. :sst: i don`t.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Nov 2019, 18:46

................................................. :winky: TREES FOR BONNIERS WOOD

:eh: Eh! But where are all the other tree`s.
:mrgreen: Well the old ones were thrown out into the landfill bin. :shock:
:sst: old grumpy wingnut, bb`s going to make some more.
:read: Perhaps a story or two might well be included too?

:coffee: Yes why not? :sst: The Singing Ringing Tree.

https://youtu.be/WhVFcy4ZMIg

:cowboy: i never got over this one,but loved the horse.

:mrgreen: They will be painted anyway.

The Dapol Brothers left for work as usual on the Honey Well Railway,but as they left the doorway of their little cottage they found themselves in a very strange place.
"Is this where we get painted they said at the same time." :coffee: i guess twins are often like this?

BONNIER WOOD was a strange place that once existed, and was as real as the sweet maple syrup that was once tapped out from its trees.

....... :coffee: And so it was that a start was made. i hope that you will return for another. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Nov 2019, 22:42

With some garden tie wire a new beginning.......
These small trees were made from stuff i have had in my stash for ages, but i guess they will cost a few pence to make?

....yes a small tree armature began to take shape. :mrgreen:

Held by the pliers the wire was twisted by the turning of the wooden brush handle where the wire was looped over it ..... Of course anything up to the job in hand can be used to slip into the wire loop.
:mrgreen: BB bent many of Mrs B`s spoons twisting the nights away.
:coffee: Very true.
:mrgreen: No matter what out of shape their in ,,,,, :sst: as long as they hold a full mouthful of something they are ok by bb`s standard. :shock:! :shock:! :drool:

With the wire parted into halves each in turn was twisted out into place using the turning of my brush handle again. ;-) Boy! That`s so easy.
:sst: the plastic on the wire makes no never mind while making a tree.
:mrgreen: It does not matter and is rather cool because it adds structure to it.
:cowboy: A few of my Pards got swung from many of those darn things.
:read: That`s taken from the Latin meaning Pardners.... :drool: Boy that Book Worm is very smart.

So with this divided split more shaping came into place.

Wire strands pulled away from the main stem of wire were twisted into branches.

i like to use three strands of wire to begin twisting and branching out in all directions.

Shorter lengths of wire was doubled up and added to those branching out, and were simply twisted in at the same time by holding the wire by the pliers and twisted in the same direction.
With this wire being very thin a pair of scissors were used to cut them into two and twisting by thumb and finger was also possible.

A snipping time was had as trimming played out upon the tip of each limb.

Now the bottom can be twisted straight for pushing into place on a polystyrene base perhaps on a stationary model railway?

However if one needs to move the trees around quite a lot that option will hardly do.

i unwound the bottom wire loop in order to twist three individual tree roots ,
that will be fixed into a base.

The old Dapol figure best watch out in case he gets lost in this green wood.

Here another tree was turned into shape, this time leaning over. :sst: it looks like an apple tree.
:eh: They gave me bellyache last time i was greedy. :mrgreen: Poor old Wing Nut.

Here`s another that is the simplest Birch Tree, to make. :mrgreen:I'mmmm Maple syrup yum yum.

:read: Top Tip. However large a tree must be always remember to make the armatures a little smaller because once twiggy bits and flocking takes place they can increase by a third.

They have all been coated over with white glue! This being a base. More will be added later which means these cheap armatures will bend into other shapes before painting begins.

The two twin Brothers have their home restored once more so in that it was a happy ending. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2019, 18:36

Beano Boy  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Nov 2019, 09:51

You certainly are a very skilled and creative fellow Mr B.

Nice tree armatures and that bridge is fantastic.

I personally like to use real vegetation if possible but I am sure yours will be exceptional as always.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Nov 2019, 10:44

Very nice trees! Tempted to try again!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 13:20

Thanks for commenting Chris,
The reason for my wire trees twist way back in my time line to when i was a skinny wiry boy.
:mrgreen: A play on words by our BB.

My Dear Mother Grace Liddy,taught me how to fondle out an easy early twist. ;-) Back then in the1950`s we made paper flowers and Christmas decorations, and that was my grounding and my early start of making toys too, because i developed more beyond that thankful grounding.

........................................ :winky: A Tale That Happens To Be True.

There was a fellow who`s name escapes me at this time,well he once had a model railway in his garage, it being far to small to house his family car that faced up to all weathers smiling outside.

He used those very fragile sticks that looked great for a quick fix photo shoot. :eh: But?

:mrgreen: The moral of this is?.......... :sst: all his trees were eaten up by mice who nicely set up home soon after,and who nibbled away at his quick-build paper kits as if they were delightful sandwiches to dine out upon. :cowboy: A few short weeks later when he opened the lift up door, there were more mice running out every which way loose, then originally went in. :shock: :shock: :drool: :drool:____ :( O My!

:stressed: Sadly he gave up his hobby soon after. Some people just cannot take the hit and travel beyond it i guess?.

:coffee: On the other hand my wire trees, topped over with stainless steel wool lasted eighteen long lasting years without them going rusty. ( Now Mr C, who still looks in without input will see this tip of my day.A long overdue answer to his question of a few years ago. Please give me a mention if you use it and kindly recommend this Benno`s Figure Forum to others? ) :eh: A painful deed indeed BB.

There would`ve been a special need to have steel teeth like JAWS,
to eat those hobby displayed things. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 13:33

Try,try again Gunnar! :thumbup:
Plan small,but think a little bit bigger,
because what one heaps upon their tree ,
makes it much larger in all directions.
As you and most know upon the rolling waves of the Internet,
i do stuff on the cheapest budget possible,
to aid freely the arts in others, BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 15:27

I spent £2.79 on 50 Meters of Wire including Free Postage
i manage to make 14 good sized trees.

With the wire i borrowed from Mrs B, i managed to make 8 decent sized woodland tree`s.

P V A Glue a wonderful resin product is very cheap to build up my trees so later they can be bent further if needed,to please the eye before painting and dressing up the top with what ever.
Latex Rubber, i saw some guy using for making realistic trees which is very expensive !
:coffee: Whereas only a few `Pence worth of white glue can work wonders.'
:mrgreen: It sure can. :sst: and guys you can paint over it too.

Image £17.98 plus £3.50 Postage.

Of course if others do not want to make do on limited funds, they can buy the Woodland Scenics Latex Rubber.

For an outlay of under £6.00
22 Tree Armatures were wound.
:mrgreen: You need more trees BB! :cowboy: He most certainly does. :sst: he do.

:coffee: Yes i plan to fill up my collection the cheap and easy way before this years end.

If you have a Wild-West theme diorama, a few good trees will give it a good effect.
:cowboy: Well Pards, the mice can`t rope and tie a bite sized meal upon e`m either.

Or, Perhaps a Castle or town or both would do with a few good sturdy trees to lend to the rustic charm of it? Well it`s only pieces of wire twisted to your fashion of arts and craft display day...... :sst: and the mice might try a nibble true,but give up after bent soar teeth. :eh: Ah! This place is crazy! :cowboy: But it`s free to the Whole World Wide Spread out there.
:coffee: So why not come join in? i`m in most eccentric mad cap days. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 15:32

Mrs B.asked me,"Is that a Horse Chestnut Three ?" it being quite a size. "Sure" ,i replied it could be.

And so it was today that,
My trees were going together nicely. i made the one above today, and five smaller sized trees too.
As i feel my way through my routine again after many a year away from it i can twist a smaller one in twenty minutes. As the wire is soft and not sharp on its cut off ends,i found i can easily thumb and finger the upper branches by hand making very speedy progress today. This wire i nicked out of my Dear Mrs B`s, Stash she uses in the garden. Although needing lots of trees i re-ordered some more wire from E Bay,so i can replace that which is now missing from the box in the garden shed,which is a brick lean to resting against the house wall in the evergreen furn garden of outstretched oddities.

18 large sections of wire and 18 half the size pieces of the same wire makes a fine tree. There is no hot soldering to do as i twist the wire into place and it sure is tight secure doing it that way. The math`s seems to work out on most sized tree`s you just cut the required lengths out first before the actual winding begins. A production line sure works well when put into order.
As i wrote before these are for BONNIERS WOOD; a medieval wood that was overseen by a religious Order of Warrior Knights from the Holy Land. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials