Tutorials

BB`s water wheel endeavor

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Apr 2018, 20:36

To undertake that which was unknown to me has always been a big adventure.
Like Peter Pan who would never grow up this one did not disappoint me in anyway shape or form.
My Mrs B, wondered what all the wheels were for, as parts it seemed to her were everywhere.
One must spread out during such enterprising days of scratch- building and be warned it is very addictive once you start,but it can save pounds which can then be diverted to buy figures.

Lots of guys work with blue prints of whatever it is they wish to model.
For many though these often serve to confuse rather than help.

So drawing is the key to open up the way. :eh: Gasp! I hear you say. Don`t worry. After all
there are basic cheap mainstay tools to help draw circles and squares and of course straight lines, and measurements and angles.

To make this type of wheel one must make a square first and it must be square. A picture frame can be used in some cases to draw around. The edge of a book used to make straight lines. After all it is finding the centre point that is all important.

I used my old post square, a compass,a metal non slip safety ruler with a finger grove running up its centre, a black pen , a pencil, a very sharp pointed craft knife and yes a pin off the pin board. The craft knife can lay in the finger grove to stop it rolling. I always seem to lose the plastic blade guard on my craft knife, so if children are on the floor of pets think safety always.

The square above, was marked out and the centre point found and should be easy to understand how just by looking.

So follow the pictures below as they appear.

The measurements set down helped greatly in drawing the lines.

So each spoke was easily mapped out.

The cutting out began.

The spokes extended out from the circle these would help support the paddles and make it more pleasing to the eye. :-D

The pin was pushed through the centre, and the template tool was complete.

Work soon began as each wheel was quickly marked out guided by this simple tool.

They were all cut out an stuck down on paper card,and pressed by heavy books.

The Four would make two water wheels.

The template was kept for later use again.

Both sides of the wheels were scribed out.
The centres were bored out using the craft knife.

A wooden dowel was pushed through the hole,and balsa wood supports were cut and stuck onto the outer sides spokes. Normally I would have used strips of paper card doubled up for strength, but having lots of balsa going spare I used that.

Shorter Balsa supports were added and stuck into place on the inner side of both wheels. These would help guide the drum into place.

Above are the two strips of paper card needed to form the drums. I called them drums because it seemed logical to do so.

Each strip was marked out together side by side to save time, then cut out.

They were each scribed out across not along on both side with my trusty empty pen.

The drum above was stuck into place on the inner side of the wheel. The short supports made this job rather easy but without them it would have a been a very awkward topsy turvy way of trying to do it.

A dry run putting the wheel together was carried out.

Everything slipped together without a hitch and so lined up a ok!

The paddles were drawn out on paper card, cut out and scribed on both sides in a woodgrain design.
Small supports were stuck on the front of the paddles to improve and give sense to construction design.

The inner sides were painted and dry brushed, then the wheel was glued and closed up again making sure the spokes lined up on both sides. Failing to align them would have ment game over and destruction for both wheels ,a shrug of my shoulders and a fresh restart to all the work again.
;-) I never give up.

The outside was likewise painted including the paddles which were then stuck into place.

I made several wheels gaining experience along the way.

Tried out several ideas.

Used some of my homemade bricks.

However my favourite has to be the baby sized one on the kebab stick.

Here it is in ho oo railway scale it sure was a charm putting it together.

My work on the Mill side of the scratch-build has begun.
I wonder how that will turn out ?
I hope you have enjoyed your visit. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by stenfalk on 20 Apr 2018, 20:58

Even more great stuff!!! :yeah:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 May 2018, 17:11

Well thank you Torsten. :thumbup:

Work is well underway on the actual Water Mill.
A Fantasy Style Scratch - Build where the wheel
itself has very little importance at all. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Tutorials