Tutorials

A little of my Hobbystyle Work

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Nov 2019, 11:19

I am very fond of your buildings and I am happy whenever I see them! And that girl from Airfix is very cute! But with that colour on her raincoat she maybe should be aware of clowns in sewers!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Nov 2019, 14:40

i like to spin a tale or two now and then that is for sure Gunnar, my friend.
So that being the real driving value of my hobby style presentations,
here comes from the east to the west, another Time Traveler.

IT!

IT, was a creature of habit the last of its kind,
which was actually killed by a Roman Legionary wearing very big hobnail boots.
Those being no ordinary boots that King Stephen,
could ever have dreamt up under the turning light of Castle Rock.

The Legionary was the last of his kind too from the famed Ninth Legion,
that had marched into the Scottish Mist from Britannia in 117 AD.
9th Hispana was tattooed upon his chest with the words, 'Stand By Me', underneath in Latin.
He alone then, and now always wears the red,that so many still argue upon.
His STAND against IT was never mentioned until this very , today.

The little girl appeared in the rainy days of 1961 AD and was so lucky that she was decked out in yellow,and quite ready for such downpours that would befall her, for she would have many a wet adventure to come.

She now lives in a magic matchbox with others of her kind,
and there all are protected by a writers spinning charms placed upon it.

As for the Roman Legionary,
what happened next or even before next,
the author of his own works has yet to ponder more of a thought upon.
Suffice to say really that he alone is still out there upon a whim of a magical dream.

Clowns down drains are most scary,but also very enticing.
IT knew this.
It wound children and whomever in a steel-like silk coil.
So what ever was IT ?
Let me say this, anything IT, would ever wish others to see it as.
and i the poor widows son would ever wish to meet. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Nov 2019, 03:55

................................. :winky: THE CHARGE ON THE TABLE TOP

Here are my based French Cavalry. The oblong base is paper card,with two strips of double sided tape stuck length wise upon it. The horses were pushed into running space and pressed down upon the doubled sided sticky tape. So there they were all galloping into glory. The next three steps were, one add thick P V A Glue to the plastic and paper base.Then three, placing the base upon a flat surface and gradually pour on the fine free flowing kiln-dried silicate sand. All were left to dry with mounds of sand being press into the white glue by its own weight. I remember leaving over night to let them all set up in place very hard.Then the sand was just tipped off and into a large plastic ice-cream tub, and saved to be used again. It took several days to likewise treat all the cavalry this way, because there were many regiments and hundreds to base up. ;-) Each rider stayed in the saddle during this sand dune enterprise which went spiffy well, because they were pinned butt bottom end into the steed below them.
White hot Dress Makers Pins when pinned into place do keep all those fellows in their place even when the horses topple over tip to tail. The large pair of hobby style scissors lay in the back yard of this place. :oops: op`s o dear!
:mrgreen: At least it ain't burnt down.

INTERMISSION ENDED

SO WE RETURN QUICK SHARP TO :sst: to e`m place below

The Chateau above as i decided to construct it with the aid of Captain William Syborne`s model of Hougoumont`s Burnt out buildings.

:coffee: That`s it 4 now guys i`m off 2 bed. See you later i hope. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Nov 2019, 04:40

https://youtu.be/j0b-DaZUNgg

The British Square

https://youtu.be/gGv-hBxGbFI

La Belle Alliance

Produced by Me Little BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Nov 2019, 05:03

I managed to increase the size Gunnar. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 09 Nov 2019, 14:09

Fantastic BB, we need to see more!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 09 Nov 2019, 17:18

The Chateaux and dovecote are magnificent. All of the Hougoumont buildings are beautifully modelled.

But I nearly missed the best thing on the previous page, the chimney sweeps brush. what a joy! That brings back happy childhood memories, I always got the very important job of running out the back to watch and tell him when the brush popped out of the chimney. :mrgreen: I wouldn't swap that for a whole truckload of fidget spinners (whatever they are).
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Nov 2019, 16:47

Graeme,
Thanks for the memory from your past.
What golden memories of our youth can help us add that certain touch to arts and crafts that we can dabble in during our daily lives.

Captain,Thank you for commenting.i will add a little something later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Nov 2019, 10:21

Definitely need to see more!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 02:21

...........................................:winky: THE YEAR WAS 2013
............................................. :mrgreen: And it saw BB,doing this.

Above picture shows some of double sided wall sections having been slotted into one another where the wall supports are. These supports were on both sides so no odd line running down was created where two walls met. When i scratch-built the entire walls i had no idea what they actually looked like. Well over 18 years ago there were no photographs way back then. However i had a plan an outlay of this old place. So with the sway of frustration dismissed,i set to and made the ones in my own fancy.
As things turned out i`m sure glad i did.

This scene of the walls being defended,with the canopy of Bonniers Wood in the back ground.
It was always there in my minds eye over many a year.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22763&start=60#p251706

In the Link above, i am replacing the old trees with fresh new ones
and with a differing process of production.
:coffee: That work is getting interesting to say the least. Bye 4 Now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Nov 2019, 08:49

2013 doesn't sound so long ago, but when you think of it it's 6 years! On the other hand I think the 90s were quite recent too! :-D Great to see the pics again!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 14:12

Yes time certainly fly`s by us it seems the older we get.
Well we have a certain personal history to look back upon i suppose?

The photographs belonging to little me,were all remastered in the best possible way that i could muster them.
So i raise two British bull dog fingers up to those Photobucket pirates who tried their hardest to stop me. :coffee: A galloping Quest that took me over 4 long years to do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Nov 2019, 22:19

So glad I joined this forum. It is glimpses like this in to the work of others that helps me stay focused and inspired. Thanks for sharing and for making history come to life. Untold generations to come will find meaning and nuance within these creations long after those who made them have come and gone. Salut!
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Nov 2019, 23:25

Thank you Bessiere, for your kind comment. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Nov 2019, 03:17

The Stand To behind the front gate.
i enjoyed the hobby much more when i could paint two boxes of figures per week. :(

Image ITALERI 1815

Although in my toy soldier style i never claimed to be a good painter.
Napoleon, had hoped Wellington might well move off during that awful night, however as we know he did not.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And so the fight was on. On who would take or hold the 30 acre woodland to the front of Hougoumont.

In the background are my twisted wire trees i made a few years ago for my Honey Well town layout, but they served me well while i took this shot with my camera.

My oldest trees in the background were made of twisted stainless steel wire, and also stainless steel wire-wool, the stuff used to smooth the carpenters crafted wood. If both are used it must be stainless steel, or they rust to red pretty soon and fall entirely to bits.
:mrgreen: BB`s been there and sure enough it happened.

:coffee: A large part of teaching others is to reveal the pit falls that they might fall into.
:sst: that makes good sense. :eh: Eh,What does? :mrgreen: Wherever you go you will always meet a wingnut.

The back gate being wide open the French charged in on the heels of Private Clay. Everyone knows what happened next,or do they? The West Gate was also smashed in by the French who gained access but failed to make it count,and a cannon shot hit the main gate forcing it loose. As we know it was held shut and solid firm.

Setting up the demonstration for this Forum,was nearly done and dusted. i remember Mrs B,and i had visitors upon that day who took added interest in what was going on,but smiling thought little worth to its wasted efforts. Boy i sure was glad when they drank their tea and then left. Family members i would not wish upon anyone. They just could not visualize the bigger picture.

................................................ :winky: BONNIER WOOD

The inter locking walls are manned and withstand all the attacks throughout that day.

French Cuirassiers and Line Lancers pass close by during the mass cavalry charges of the afternoon.

Birds eye view.

Ops! Picture taken before setting the British Guards up along the inside wall.

Well of course it is not correct in detail, How could it be,as most detail was never recorded or realized to the general public at the the time i designed and built it. However how it stands it certainly works well for me. BB

Most all the photographs showing this part of my hobby were re-mastered from original picture files

As i take my leave this is the end of the Chateau Goumont......Hougoumont presentation.

:coffee: I therefore hope you have enjoyed seeing it restored as much as i have had putting all the lost pictures together again. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Nov 2019, 08:55

Thanks for showing these again! And where would we be if we hadn't our beloved wingnuts?
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 13 Nov 2019, 13:43

Absolutely wonderful presentation! I really enjoyed it. Well done to you for restoring these pics and BOO, HISS, to photobucket.

Beano Boy wrote:If both are used it must be stainless steel, or they rust to red pretty soon and fall entirely to bits.
:mrgreen: BB`s been there and sure enough it happened.

That's extra realistic Paul, that's exactly what real trees do in the Autumn. :xd:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Iain on 13 Nov 2019, 15:52

Good afternoon BB…

Amazing work ! But I have a question for you.

I’m working closely with ‘Waterloo Uncovered’ and I’ll be visiting Hougoumont in the coming weeks for some research and photos.
I was always convinced that the gentleman farmer Dumonceau produced Lambic beer, simply because of all the cereals surrounding the farm. However, Anthony Martin of the ‘John Martin Brewery’ at Mont Saint Jean sent me an email recently saying that in his records for the period, Hougoumont is not mentioned.
As such, I’m now convinced that Hougoumont produced cider, simply because of the three apple orchards with over 300 trees. As such, Hougoumont must obviously have had a cellar to ‘age’ the product !

In the meantime, if true; and knowing the equipment needed for such a production, then that could provide a ‘wink’ as to what could have been in the northern outhouses. But that’s not my problem !
Last week, I received an email from one of the WU archaeologists in reply to that question and he said that a few years ago and according to ground penetrating radar equipment, they have not discovered holes or empty spaces that might indicate ‘corners’ that weren’t correctly filled in. (following the fires) However, this research did not concentrate around the chapel area.

I must present a project to WU and in it will contain the logical assumption that a chateau of that size must have had foundations that included a cellar. (even if it was only for wine…, as he said)
You are a man with a keen eye and that’s why I’m writing ! Using Siborne’s model, you were the first person in over 200 years to remark that the roofs were N-S and not E-W.
So, to my question !
WHY DID YOU CREATE A THREE ROOF BUILDING AND A SECOND FLOOR, WHEN SIBORNE’S MODEL HAD ONLY TWO ROOFS AND ONE FLOOR ?

Is it possible that during your research, you uncovered plans or images that allowed you to contradict Siborne ?
I ask, because if the chateau had the same proportions and layout as your model, then the chateau must obviously have had a traditional cellar complex for structural solidity.

Anecdote: I had a shop in Namur for many years and in an adjacent street, workmen were busy repairing a stairway leading down to the cellar. The pneumatic drill suddenly slid off one of the steps and fell to the floor…, before falling through the floor ! Archaeologists were called in and they found an underground church and a tunnel linking the citadel to the River Meuse.
Belgians love cellars and wine, especially with the Roman vineyards still operational on its slopes…, so I simply can’t imagine a beer-loving country, building a chateau like Hougoumont and not having a place to stock their favourite beverage.

Kind Regards…, Iain.
Iain  Belgium

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2019, 05:50

Lain,
What can i say?
What could i tell you?
You are a writer who only wants to deal in facts!

You believe there was a cellar which is logical. i never really considered it.

My TOY CHATEAU HOUGOUMONT
Must be considered as poetic licence in the realms of story telling,
and not as an actual correct model account.
It was scratch-built almost working in the dark so to speak.
A display for my own painted toy soldiers.

There is only one roof,but three sections make it up. Why did i add another Apex behind the tower? Well i reasoned it out using logic that leading off from the stairwell there would be a top landing ,then an entrance to the top floor level.

If this was a model of something out there it was a mistake adding that landing and the small third part of roof and apex. However as a toy it stands and remains as is. :-D

My picture was not as clear as the one above.
If it had been my building would be slightly different but with the same sort of roof.

However i cannot turn the clock back 18 years now,and have no wish to using The Time Machine!
It must be remembered that i am no historian and have never claimed to be.
It is very hard to build a something that no longer stands and with no reliable pictures to work from.

Like the lost 30 acres of woodland once there,
Hougoumont will remain hidden in its own lost secrets,
and i believe that to be a fact.

:coffee: As for me, i am a story teller and writer author in my own right. Nothing more or less. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 14 Nov 2019, 21:34

Dear Iain and BB, a very interesting exchange. The question I ask myself is why, if Siborne visited the battlefield in the 1830s, he showed the chateau as a complete shell. Did he assume this or did he see this? Drawings from as early as 1816 show a much less complete structure.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials