Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Jan 2019, 23:46

EYEING THE HOBBY STYLE WORK

Image Cost £16.99

Castle £190 Warlord Games.

:coffee: These simple feet aid the drying time by lifting them
so the bottoms also dry-out rapidly near the radiator.

WHISTLE WHILE ONE WORKS :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jan 2019, 00:58

Image :read: The Journal Continues

LOOKING DOWN UPON ANOTHER ASPECT

:mrgreen: There is a small hammer to the right. :eh: Eh?

Long pins are used to prevent separation of two parts.

Pushed right in at an angle makes for a rather tight fix.
:coffee: And so it came to pass tower three was cast up.

Image Added Viewer in Stone

:mrgreen: As work upon the fourth tower appears he might well turn out to be the only one?

The mixture is poured out onto the side of the tube and this avoids great gulps of air being added during the casting up of these two parts. The glass cutting board is well thumped for a short rapid time with my fist causing vibration to the mixture which forces a shallow film of water to the top along with tiny air bubbles. :sst: a count to 30 does the trick.

:coffee: A self taught tip
A couple of taps with a small hammer on the tube top breaks the seal, letting the air in around the tube which is then removed very easily. :cowboy: Otherwise that sucker ain`t a coming out.
:eh: Thanks. :mrgreen: Wingnut will soon forget that. :winky: Yes in one wing and out the other.

Image Rubbing Tired Eyes

As another day draws ever near to its final end, so it is that
the LEGO Bricks are taken down for the last time.
Well at least on these castellated parts.
Their highly supportive role a something costing nothing at all.
:mrgreen: BB`s had them for many a repetitive donkey year.

Four medieval towers are all drying out fine.
There are of course many more parts to draw up, make and mould within this journal.
:coffee: Another update of my dreams later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jan 2019, 23:32

The Lady Of The Lake

Helms & Dragons

With these 28mm fantasy figure toppings being over £2.35 each, it soon became apparent that they were cheaper to buy by the dozen. Two Dozen Cost £8.00. I`ll try reproducing them in stone as added adornments for my medieval structures now ongoing. :mrgreen: or just stick them on. :sst: as the are.

I have been looking for coat of arms on shields for the same purpose but upon finding them found £20.00 for four not to my liking.I found Gargoyles and Grotesques i could use , however they were of very poor quality, so were not for me.

:coffee: It has always been my aim to build simple things on a rather low budget! Although money is not an issue in my time of life, my pathway of finding and making do is. So I`ll be shopping around to obtain spare parts that spark my imagination. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jan 2019, 17:21

OVERLOOKING THE WORK TABLE UNDER THE STAIRS

Image As Night Falls Snoozing Again BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 27 Jan 2019, 17:29

I hope that's a gargoyle and not your neighbour's pet :affraid:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 27 Jan 2019, 17:43

...or worse still...the neighbour :shock:
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Jan 2019, 00:38

No the neighbours are fast food producing Chinese with no pets.

It is interesting using ones resources to save a few pennies. Here after moulding a base pattern I used the top of the mould :mrgreen: Which is the bottom. :eh: Eh? :sst: where medieval doors along with their steps of stone, were pressed into the silicone. :coffee: That`s right every little detail pushed in counts. This double sided mould cost 75 Pence to make. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Paul on 28 Jan 2019, 18:45

Beano Boy wrote:No the neighbours are fast food producing Chinese with no pets.

On both sides of your house?
Paul  China

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jan 2019, 04:19

Our house is completely detached from the others, and stands alone at the bottom of a long courtyard with the woods behind it on two sides.
Our nearest neighbours are the Chinese on one side,and on the other a J W Sister in The Truth! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jan 2019, 17:15

These will do nicely. Pantile rooftop buildings along with overcrowded castle walls will Fall Up, as this year my 70th on this planet gradually unfolds . :sst: bb, must fix his time machine. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 31 Jan 2019, 20:26

Now please correct me if I'm wrong but weren't castles lime washed?

Sits back and awaits the torrent of corrections
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jan 2019, 22:08

You are right FredG :thumbup:
The famous White Tower of London was Lime Washed!
Boy it must have burned lungs mixing that stuff up with water.

Scots Castles were coated with a wet wash known as Harling, and the colour varied according to the mixture used and in some cases came close to white. (Another Lime Mix ) Did it improve the weather proofing? is anyone`s guess. If the walls were rendered up then washed over it might have.

I added PC colour and shadow to the photograph. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jan 2019, 23:30

£34.99

All NEW MADE FOR 25 to 28mm Toy Soldiers

Well these are in fact Stone Steps! £22.99

£39,99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/egw/ebay-for-char ... P_ID=10650

Supporting charity I bought one box from all the range they had.
Sorry to relate that EPIX HAVEN went out of business last year 2018. Lots of clearance stock left over found its way onto CANCER RESEARCH UK, were they still have these castings for bidding or sale prices. So if you are interested give them a look. There certainly will be no more produced for sale with this Company gone that`s for sure.

TOWER

GATEHOUSE £59.99 More than 10 available.
Recommended Price was £150

FOR MY OWN USE
I intend to make moulds using these as Patterns because that is my main hobby now of solving how to do it. Well my hands are not fit for much else these days, accept for doing this little Topic and writing stuff. :coffee: It keeps me busy in mind and spirit. :-D BB

:coffee: I believe it is going to be a very interesting year at least for me.
I therefore hope some of you might enjoy it too. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 01 Feb 2019, 15:44

Beano Boy wrote: I believe it is going to be a very interesting year at least for me.
I therefore hope some of you might enjoy it too. :-D BB

I really like to ready and watch stories from your workshop. :yeah: :-D

And btw: The Epix Haven parts are really super cool I think! :shock: :shock: :shock:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Feb 2019, 21:57

Thank you Jan, very kind of you to comment in such a way. The smillies help me out by commenting most of the time :-D __ :mrgreen: Yes it is very quiet on Tutorials. :sst: which is bb`s second home.

Photographs and short gags hopefully add interest rather than my adding,
`i did this, that and the other.'
The EPIX HAVEN Corner Tower arrived today, and it is rather beautiful,
so much so that Mrs B,has calmly claimed it as an ornament.
:coffee: So I might have to buy another one which is ok.

Building work is still ongoing making stuff to go with my four other castle towers.
As I was making the first one I remembered seeing the movie above in 1965. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Feb 2019, 17:16

MAKING THE CHAPEL MOULD

This is a whole book in itself so please scroll down the pictures.

The Top which happens to be the Bottom

My rudimentary LEGO sliding compression cradle squeezes the sides into place where fingers cannot reach.

Side 1

Side 2

Ends 3 & 4 Simply compressed by turning the mould over on end once the rubber has been thumbed on. The weight of the thing does the squeezing job. :-D it`s crazy if this works.

The ends removed

Rough Cut Guidance Points

Ready for a long soapy soak in my old bowl. :mrgreen: The weight 7Ib`s of BB`s rubber.

:coffee: Time for tea.

The Next Day Dawned

:sst: bb cast the first sample up into his mould.

:mrgreen: A much larger yogurt pot was used this time.

:oops: Oops!

:coffee: A couple of air holes and slight movement in the pantiles, but who expects perfect?
:-D ;-) :shock: ) :oops: :drool: :mrgreen: :wave: :sst: :cowboy: :shock: :mad: :winky: :joker: :read:
we do! The smillies all said. :eh: not me I`m confused. :coffee: Yes I will have to correct that roof.

:sst: and so it was that the little chapel was placed upon raised up feet to dry out. The castle towers looked down upon the scene and smiled. they were so glad of the extra wee company. Related the little button that never speaks in capitals.

:coffee: I cast up another. To see, wonder, and utilise is the aim of using the chapel to create snug buildings resting, tired like leaning upon castle walls and perhaps much taller ones over looking them, for such boxes can indeed pile up. i hope you have enjoyed this rubbery adventure. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 04 Feb 2019, 07:49

Beano Boy wrote:The EPIX HAVEN Corner Tower arrived today, and it is rather beautiful,
so much so that Mrs B,has calmly claimed it as an ornament.

For a moment I thought you were going to say Mrs B had asked you to build a full size one! But those Epix models do look like they'd make nice ornaments and I'm sure Mrs B deserves her castle. :-)

Castle Beano looks like it's developing into an interesting project, I'll keep an eye on this. And I really liked the photos of the gargoyles and grotesques. One of them looked a bit like a Sci Fi monster to me, I didn't expect that.

I really like the dragon models on top of the helmets too. I like dragons.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2019, 16:06

I now have four castings to play around with while they dry out. I want to leap them upwards by adding another level. So that must be added to the ground level with these other structures placed on top. I am thinking how best to accomplish this task using the same mould? To utilise the mould rules out the need to make another.The roof is not needed because only the stone walls are required.

I will carefully fill the mould in order to cover the roof section only. Then let it cure hard.
The next stage is to oil that top of which was cast. To do so in order to form a separation point when I top up the remainder of the mould. So in theory I should be able to remove the bottom of the chapel walls due to this well oiled separation point in the mould. :mrgreen: Will it work?
:coffee: I guess with the passing of time we will find the answer to that question.
:cowboy: Sure it will Pard`s.

:mrgreen: The next day as already explained the two part mould was cast.

Having only one large plastic tub left I lined it with plastic sheet from an old bag. An elastic band was fixed around the tub to stop the plastic slipping out when casting up. After use the plaster covered plasticis simple tipped out into the bin. :-D Leaving me with a clean tub.

With my state of the art tool ; my old trusty butter knife the roof was soon parted very easily with the aid of a small hammer. :cowboy: Yippy a Oooo, I said it would work Pard`s. :sst: one good wallop and it fell apart at that seam.

If I intend to have this side above showing a straight lintel stuck into place will square off the top and make the window presentable.

It fell away leaving a rather rugged bottom. I trimmed it level on the top with my knife and as it was still damp very little effort was required. Soon that little job was done and dusted.

Now this piece can be slipped back into the mould as an odd side oiled up again and another bottom cast up. :sst: it is all about stacking boxes. :eh: I`m confused.

What Follows Are Samples To Show The Pathway

The side wall with the door now raised up can be placed against a castle wall. :sst: yes I understand it now. :eh: Not me, what about chimneys? :coffee: I will address that question later. OK!

:winky: Lets add some shadow.

I`ll add fixing pins to many of these later. ;-) Or just silicone them together.

:coffee: Monastic Courtyards can easily be created for photo shoots and film. A few broken bits here and there will add character to the place giving it an aged appearance. Well that`s my opinion and I stick by it. :-D

Here larger gothic style windows are hidden so that massive walls remain with the smaller windows.

I have a few more bottoms to make, then hopefully i will be looking into creating lean to`s from the mould. If one has a band saw it would do to cut these in half,but I don`t have one so other means to do it apply.

Thank you for commenting Graeme, the shadows of this mysterious place are certainly upon the rise. Thank`s for taking time out to look guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2019, 01:21

It sure is a funny old stone cat
always chasing after fish that swim
around the cathedrals sandstone parapets

The little box of stone steps came today.
These were Made in China.

The Smaller Set

The Larger Set

Lots of detail on all the sides. :thumbup:
It`s real easy to mould these perhaps for ones own war games?
You know? a castle wall and a flight of stone steps. :-D Magic BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 05 Feb 2019, 08:14

Wonderful tutorial dear BB!! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials