Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jun 2016, 20:17

THE VERY FIRST CASTING

There is a crack in the arch of the Culvert, :shock: but I will reinforce the others with a piece of wire pushed into the casting up stuff as the mould is being filled. :-)

THESE RETAINING WALLS LEAD UP TO THE STONE RAILWAY TUNNELS

BB :-D
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Jun 2016, 07:10

This is a very nice thread! With nice pictures! Casting up reminds me very much of throwing up in Swedish. :-D And that is something we won't do over your work, it is very nice! And a lot!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2016, 14:11

Thank you Gunnar, :thumbup: for not feeling sick at the sight of these simple little castings.
i`m very glad that you also like this open ended topic. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 09 Jun 2016, 14:38

Beano Boy wrote:There is a crack in the arch of the Culvert, :shock: but I will reinforce the others with a piece of wire pushed into the casting up stuff as the mould is being filled. :-)

Why? That crack looks good and in my opinion just on the right place. It's one of the weakest places of that culvert! ;-)
Great work Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2016, 23:30

The thing is Peter, being able on getting the thing out of the mould in one piece and not two.Although the crack looks good I do agree. i found the best things available to me,and really great to strengthen this arch were two wooden tooth pic`s pushed into the mix. Magic!

Here`s me a showing the edge that needs trimming off with this state of the arts Butter Knife a neat rare tool that is as near as old as me. This kind of knife is not sharp enough to cut oneself on no mater how awkward one might be,and boy i am certainly that. But it does the intended job well. Yes the stuff falls into the bin,and not on Mrs B,s freshly cleaned stone floor.:-D

Trimmed nicely to a slope giving a good angle that leaves a straight neat edge to the modelled stonework. So it will affix nice like and butt up against other stonework and look fine as is a Mason had held a level eye to it.

The Culverts

Although looking much like Mantel Pieces at present they will eventuall melt away into the landscaping directing a steady flow of water into watercourses either side of planed railway embankments.

Here`s one with a stone slope positioned so as an illustration only. These will be inbeded into a cut-out section of a polystyrene two inch thick insulation board with the bottom bed with water course also scraped out. You can notice the Butter Knife has trimmed a nice slope into the sides too on these so landscaping stuff can neatly form a good sound edge along the modelled stone. The Boards will then be tapered down into shape , and Wild grasses and weeds i have a mind to place, for such places are quite common here in the UK. Others might have huge rock faces where they live and dusty trails,we on the other hand have rich wild green grasses and oats that make our cows give nothing but excellent cream! :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Jun 2016, 07:25

Looks better and better! I know a person who would definitely cut himself with that knife! No, not me! He could probably cut himself with a pillow! Not overly clumsy, just good at cutting himself by mistake on just about anything. This also good inspiration! Very nice thread(s)!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 11 Jun 2016, 07:54

I'm pleased to hear that the solution to avoid the crack worked! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jun 2016, 01:59

My first attempt at Double Stone Tunnel Entrances

Polystyrene deeply engraved with a black pen. This avoids getting blue on the first few castings
Once the Pattern was cut out it was stuck onto another sheet to make sure of a good strong strong casting. Then cut out again when dry.

Multipurpose use for Roadways, Canal & River and Railway.
The oblong wall section seen below will also be used for making bridges.
All the supporting walls already seen in this topic will multitask with these.

A Playtime of LEGO______________Magic!

i have found out with practice that ordinary Cooking Oil,and Marine Clear Silicone
is the very best combination and gives fantastic results when mixed with Corn Flour.
One mould has already been made ,and cast up. :-D

Still lots more Patterns to make before starting construction with the hot glue gun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jun 2016, 15:06

I had to trim of the sides including the arch because my first casting broke at the weak point on the curve of the archway. I glued it together but,i needed to work out how to best avoid this happening again.

Then after casting up i placed an off-cut of poly with a letter box shape cut out and cast that up too with the remaining plaster.

Easily removed it left a good strong support right across the back of the arch.

The casting with ease was removed.

My first ever stone tunnel entrances. Magic!

These castings can also be used for the bottom arches of a bridge across a river. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 21 Jun 2016, 17:37

Fantastic work :notworthy: :notworthy:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jun 2016, 19:03

Thank you Kostis, it is the simplicity in work that wins through in the end.

What with having to cut slopes into embankments and cut other poly stuff,i bought one of these on e bay. i intended to make my own but this one was very cheap at £9.99 and so it has saved me the bother of such a hot wiring chore. Now this will hopefully mean i will not fill up Beano Castle,with little static polly balls.
i guess you understand fully about those irritating static polystyrene balls ? :mrgreen:

A VERY TALL TALE

:read: " Will you get told off for advertising BB?" ___ ;-) "Opp`s! Sorry Benno."_ :affraid: "Double Op`s!! He might?"___________ :cowboy: " No Way! Anything that can stop the Forum filling up with those crazy tiny balls is very helpful even if BB does own 51% of that company!" :mrgreen: ___ :read: " i can remember eating a fire report from the Police,once that stated BB burnt down half the houses in the courtyard after making a poly cutter of his own." _________ ____ :shock: " Book Worm,how on earth did he do that?"____ :read: " Well according to the Police report,Burp! That BB left on the table and i ate Burp!He wired the thing into the mains with half inch thick copper cabble,and turned it on causing an electric arch that shot from one house to another shorting out every plug ,light,TV,and PC in the courtyard and eventually blew the Grid that feeds Fiddlewood with power." :shock: "Op`s! It was A Fiddlewood Black Out!"____ :cowboy: "Yip! BB,was sure lucky wearing goggles,thick rubber gloves and Rubber Wellington Boots."____ :read: " Yes,without them he would have been a piece of smoking charcoal,That`s for sure."

No one got hurt in the construction of this very tall tale. They were all rich and away on holiday at the time.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jun 2016, 12:32

My expected delivery came today and so i have lots of ammo for my glue gun. All the casting will be fixed into place using this type of hot glue. It will be quick and hopefully painless, because one does tend to get burn`t with this darn stuff.

The other Pattern fully scribed out and dated 1871.
:mrgreen: " My O, My! How time slips away so fast!"

The work is progressing now at a steady pace,and another slightly smaller mould made yesterday has been very fruitful in way of supplying good sound castings for tunnel entrances on the canal. So the older tunnels will be replaced ,but the new stone ones are far better, and i hope those taking interest will fully agree.

The last one of six has just been cast up.

And here we see a few casting stacked up and they will completely dry white with the others.Then they will be ready for dipping in a very Large Tub of Swished up Swirling Wash to bring out the detail even further.

This rubber mould has one replacement casting to cough up and then it will be redundant!
So then Destroyed!

I have one casting on the bottom row right that I will replace because it has a few air holes.
The great thing about castings costing 10 Pence each is one can well afford to bin them with a smile,and cast another.

So what`s next in the production of The Rubber Mould? _____ Why not give us a look see later and perhaps find out more? See You Then,Then? :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2016, 14:28

Mrs B, kindly bought me a massive LEGO BOARD,which will give me much more scope now to develope more complex shapes for building G W R Bridges or whatever I wish to make. The range of castings already produced seen placed upon the new Lego Board gives a good idea of the height and length of parts i can now produce. However that's for later because for now i need a bridge and have no intention of buying the rubbish on the marketplace. So I`ll design a couple to make it a worthwhile project. There`s no need to copy off the peg kits when there`s a wealth of photo evidence out there on the web to work ones way through.

Basic Engineering Technigue ;-) ____ Two Bookends and a Book on Top,___ Childs Play! :-D

These are the next bridges to produce castings for. The stone or brick columns reach up high above the tracks , then an iron girder bridge goes between them and then spans the gap.
Using photo`s gives one good idea angles on how to go about laying the supporting walls to this type of railway bridge.

The actual girder part of the bridge i`ll construct use paper card. A something I have had success with before ,but this time rivets will be added using pin heads which will give a good detail effect on the finished model.

I`ll see you guys later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 25 Jun 2016, 17:17

Can't wait to see the results! Pin heads for rivets is a good idea, but can you write The Lord's Prayer on the head of the pin?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2016, 19:39

Downtown YAKIMA

Bluefalchion, :thumbup: Hi Buddy!

With the deepest respect for the good book.
With my failing eye sight, :(
no of course not for nobody would wish to see such a work,
on the pointless end of a pin that I could ever possibly try to scribble upon. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2016, 19:41

Opp`s Mislaid the BB,again! ;-) BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Jun 2016, 19:37

Beautiful picture of the downtown portion of the city where I live. My wife used to have an office in the orange brick building near the center of this photo. Your next modeling project perlhaps?

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jun 2016, 03:00

Bluefalchion, nice of you to respond to the photo,
i Googled the place and took a chance that you would know this area. I must admit there are large sections of my home City of Norwich that I do not know myself. It almost seems un-canny that near spot on middle of the picture your Wife worked, so my choice of picture was in the end well made. No plans to make large scale buildings like that, but lots of other stuff.

Greetings to all of you across the water,from the leafy green of Fiddlewood Norwich BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jun 2016, 05:45

And to you BB. In a cruel, mad world, we have found a little spot where we can care for one another and share our hopes, fears and interests. Thanks to Mr. Benno and all those who make this forum possible.

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Jun 2016, 07:16

Great to see a LEGO-board like that again! We had one, but the Airfix-figures had a tendency to fall when we put them on it. Not the cavalry, the fell anyhow. This seems almost like a factory, sounds maybe boring but it is a factory of FUN! Great to see this. And can only agree that Benno have made a marvelous place!
Susofrick  Sweden

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials