Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 May 2019, 06:31

Hello Mr B.

I owe you an apology for somehow missing this post.

Really interesting stuff reminding me of my casting attempts as a child.

Dodson Heavy Industries was the nickname at the time.

Mass produced Airfix copies in lead!

These items look super although my plaster buildings tend to be a bit delicate.

My good friend Thomas Mischak once sent me plaster figures but they were too delicate for use.

Your offerings look really nice indeed.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 29 May 2019, 09:27

With those pics I am quite happy it went on twice. I really start to love your little town, it really looks great! And medieval! More, please!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 May 2019, 23:34

I must admit at times i cannot keep up with topics posted here on this advancing Forum. It slows down,then zips along in so many directions. Which is wonderful indeed.

Thanks for commenting Guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 May 2019, 00:07

i used to cast up toy soldiers using lead when i was a young lad.
The moulds were of Plaster and then fine red sand.
Were the toys good? They were bl..ding awful.

:coffee: Good news i get my new Mouse Thursday which is today. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jun 2019, 14:26

EKkkkkk! They turned out well.

Looking down from high above the famous Rabbit of old Alice tales thought to himself and yes agreed.

They each have a pipe to help flush the rainwater away, just as the real ones like to do.
Which i think is kinda cool?

............................................... :winky: TODAY is FIGZ plus 1

It is very quiet on the Forum has everyone gone to sleep ? said one helmet to the other. Well BB, is wide eyed active awake and skipping about. The other said in reply. Did he drop something on his foot ? the one on the right asked. O`, No, he had a very large long yellow and black Wasp in his shoe! We best shut up now then ,they both agreed. After all it would not do to have one of those buzzing things trapped inside such tight fitting helmets as these.

As the world works away at doing what ever, I`mm so busy writing, watching the news,,,,,, Trump has arrived. See if you can spot the c i a fellow with the plastic hands fitted to his jacket while his real ones out of sight hold weapons at the ready. So fake and dead easy to spot as he walks about. Showing the weapons is the bigger deal that keeps the real nut-cases away.

I`m also busy painting , although here i am invisible! Bella is busy too sleeping and catching the shade after sunning herself in the garden. It`s a hot one today. So much so that the freezer keeps humming out, `ice creams, ice creams.'

i`m also busy watching Mrs B,moving the heavy potted plants about the garden. and Fred & MayBell are up to something elsewhere in our little safe for now Fiddle Wood Home.

:coffee: I often think this Forum, this tiny quiet space,
a great place to post pictures and above all, tap, tap write.
Communication a bright eyed gift indeed.

Many thanks to the hundreds now visiting this project daily. :thumbup: You are most welcome to view any time. Perhaps becoming Members on this Free Forum too, and gee! You will be able to comment and place your own topics too. That is a very good ideal to set into place.

:wave: :wave: :wave: May everyone sailing by with a wave have a very good day.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Graeme on 03 Jun 2019, 18:20

Beano Boy wrote:It`s a hot one today. So much so that the freezer keeps humming out, `ice creams, ice creams.'

The weather's a bit different here, so the freezer is holding it's tongue. But I'm sure I heard the microwave whisper "Syrup Sponge Puddings". ;-)

The gargoyles look really good in place and Castle Beano's inhabitants will have dry feet. Looks like they'll get plenty of Vitamin C too.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 04 Jun 2019, 19:28

Your own helmets looks terrific! Very nice, Paul!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Jun 2019, 08:01

Castle Beano really looks splendid already! I had a trip to the ancestors. The Sigurd-carving in Ramsund on Thursday and the mound over Anund (Anundshög) on Sunday. Both trips with coffee of course! :coffee: :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jun 2019, 12:16

The Mention of tiny Helmets, Ice Cream, Treacle Sponge Cake ,Coffee and The Ancestors Visit makes for a rich tapestry of comments as far as i am concerned. After all we are not talking to machines,but through the aid of them. Thank you Graeme,Jan,and Gunnar.

NOG BAD BEANO CASTLE , will rise after all my oblong buildings are complete as the two go together like bookends do on a very tall tale. In my odd way of story telling i want all to blend in together or indeed fall apart for other viewing themes. :sst: a small matter of moving boxes.
:mrgreen: Ya! :eh: I`m confused, said Wing Nut, who certainly is very old. Old enough to have lost his ears of reason. Perhaps he is a Metaphor of myself ? :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jun 2019, 23:29

It has been a short while , but a long while for hobby active me since i could work on this project. Other things just needed doing first.

:coffee: Very glad to report that my new mouse is working fine.

Emulsion Paint & Lots of Water 4 any colour-wash one can dream up for dipping home made castings.

Dipped today. The Street.

I`ll need to give these a second coat of black paint later,but only on the front face of the wooden beams. i hate to see specs of white.

In the meantime others were being assembled.

A fine thin funnel flow on my new gun.

My trusty Square.

My orders of the day, Try avoid getting glue on you table?

Chimneys for the present time are on hold to construct later. ;-)

With another three with their hats on, assembly is still ongoing on another three.
i have a system whereby i construct right angled walls, which i leave until the rubber has cured before sticking them together on their bases.

:sst: yes the little table is constantly in the process of filling up.

We myself and Mrs B, found something i had not seen in 10 years. i placed it on the table. i will identify it and explain the ins and outs of it later somewhere else.

Paper protection.
After the above are complete i will have another 6 houses to assemble, then other stuff can begin to take shape too. I am leaving all the buildings until i have brought all of them up to speck. Equal and level pegging to each other,then more colour can be added, before dry brushing them all.

Mrs B`s Ready To Go Bag, is in the background. :thumbup: C U Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jun 2019, 00:41

The last two houses are glued up and now await their rooftops. The elastic bands kept them square upon their bases while inside a bead of silicone rubber was wet fingered into place.
Sorry to say no chimney`s are made yet.

.......................................................... :winky: HOWEVER

Colour - Wash Dipping of the castles fortified houses and towers has taken place. They stand drying out nicely upon upturned empty yogurt pots which are a perfect platform for lifting them up and off my table top. i used a darker and lighter shade of brown, a yellow and pinky - white. All were mixed up together before cold tap water filled the tub about two inches from the top rim. This allowed the castings to be completely submerged by hand in this wishy - washy stuff made by using emulsion paints. 1% Paint 99% Cold Water . A very cheap, effective and interesting way of painting without much effort. 120 Large Casting were dipped,they dried to a touch in seconds so were easy to stack up as already explained._ One thing i must add here, is that the Wash needed stirring between each dip so the brush was left in the tub. This handy sized plastic tub housed the dog food so really cost nothing at all. i reckon that left over paint from Mrs B`s, house decorating adventures came in free of cost too.

The loose fitting windows were placed on the underside of the larger castings after their quick fix dipping`s had taken place.

All sealed up for other uses later.

My Statues of grey stone,were also dipped in another colour - wash. i have a lot more to dip too.

:coffee: Only if i can find them. C U Soon BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 27 Jun 2019, 22:50

Amazing stuff!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jun 2019, 01:49

Thank you Jan, every little comment helps me along upon my odd shuffling roadway to whatever.

As the rubber mould reveals above,
i Spent a small part of my day dipping hundreds of the smaller stuff that will adorn the walls, although whether they will embellish them perhaps might be a story for another time of turned out telling. Often is the case i never really know how things will eventually turn out. However adding interest to a long unfolding topic that started 5 months ago is a something i try to do. It certainly is a blast coming up with ideas that seem daft but in reality seem most fitting to place upon another page here.

ANOTHER HOT ONE IS COMING TODAY

THIS IS THE COOL PART OF ONE OF OUR SHADY GARDENS

The little seat opposite a hidden pool set deep down below ground level is very inviting on a hot dry day indeed.

A little glimmer of the four foot pool is seen on the right, and has resident frogs all year round.

High above the pool.

The shade is most welcome.

Evergreen Ferns obscure the brick front of the deep pool, and a tiny pathway leads to the rustic gate which opens wide to reveal the bleakness of the slabbed over courtyard.

Flowering plants are well at home high above our heads in the canopy.

It sure is a jungle which greatly reminds me of Belize and my army training of bygone days.

This tiny garden is nineteen years old,and the small plants we put in then within its shingle beds are now very high indeed. This year we had Robins nesting and rearing their young within the ivy on the wall.

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jul 2019, 12:08

Above they sat in the sun of August 1st 2018

Present time of posting 01/7/2019 and outside a heatwave waves its patterns from the dry hot roasted rooftops, pavements, melting tarmac roads, and our little courtyard that lay just beyond our wooden arbor front garden gate.

From the rubber mould of page 7, to the heat of today i apply the first colour-wash.
i guess the act of doing so out of the heat of 12.05 pm, is kinda cool . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Jul 2019, 11:05

Image Mmmmmmm

:coffee: Yes that was a blistering hot day yesterday..... Upon my finger tapping travels i saw a strange fellow on You Tube in the sea with a floating Barbeque grill frying up stuff. :oops: He sure looked like a red faced Pirate. :mrgreen: i do believe he`s a Member here. :sst: mmmmmm! i wonder who that was and still is? Asked the little button.

Now lets get back to this Ever Increasing Topic

i decided to use the door and steps from my rubber moulds that are from my castle parts.
i am all for making parts that can have many uses.

:eh: What about filling that hole in BB ? Asked Wing Nut.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: it all went quiet. Wing Nut, had asked a sensible question.
:mrgreen: To everyone`s surprise! :eh: Eh! What question was that then?
:cowboy: Ain`t he a real treasure Pard`s ?

:coffee: In the passage of time all will be revealed. :winky: That hole will be bunged up.
__________________ :mrgreen: Perhaps this time next year.

:-D A nail hammered home through that hole would stop it slipping off BB`s table.
:eh: Golly Gosh! I wish i had thought of that, said the highly convinced Wing Nut.

The door replaces a window frame that was to be slipped into place. That will be shown later.
Meanwhile those stone steps have become massive supports upon this multi use casting .

:read: Entered in this open ended journal, ` Supporting Plans are afoot.'
:drool: :shock: Afoot from last year? :affraid: Yip!

:winky: i wonder what will come next? :cowboy: Me anall, said the Cowboy who always sleeps in his boots.
:eh: Eh? :sst: his way of combating air pollution levels.
:mrgreen: We are thus ever thankful. :coffee: Yes indeed. C U Guys later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jul 2019, 16:49

The idea came to my fancy after making these.

............................................. :winky: HERE`S LOOKING DOWN UPON IT

As can be determined by sight there is plenty of wheel room for it to be able to turn beneath the massive supportive wall brackets that will support a landing of some kind.

Illustration only of where a much better stretch of stone landing will eventually go.

The bottom heavy set stone sections were made last year, and are under my work table boxed up.
C U Later :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Leonid Kireev on 03 Jul 2019, 18:40

Paul, what should be the result? Your castle is already greater than Buckingham Palace))
Leonid Kireev  Russia

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jul 2019, 15:31

:coffee: R ! What a question to raise an eyebrow of deep thought upon.
It is funny really even i cannot disclose that which i do not know myself.
If it were indeed possible for others to peer into my minds eye i guess the witness would be to see and try to understand the little boy who is still there,_________ and here in Fiddle Wood unseen at play.

:cowboy: By Gum! Presently it be 11 X 5 Foot according to me rather bent out of shape piece o` string.

:coffee: The lodged into place mill-wheel itself of crafted masonic fantasy design level, i is one for working giant rather drafty leather bellows along with large pounding hammering machines within a dusty medieval castle forge producing BAD BOY BEANO STEEL

The constant Din of Hammering of the X CAL LA BA production line produces very long heavy double edged swords for very short pointed people to drag around by their handles, for none could ever wish or have a hope of ever lifting them in anger.

This reminds me of the Asterix village rooftops.

Bottom second section of heavy stone wall needs fixing into place.

i`m very busy today,
far to busy for knocking bricks out of shape
but will fiddle de dee them into upstanding shuffling place later.

For all those looking in upon this totally free topic in staggering numbers now,
i thank you one and all.i do not profit money-wise from it ,but know world wide
that i have made many incredible friends. :coffee: Many of them being smilies. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jul 2019, 22:17

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2019, 01:55

The Rubber Moulds Are To Be Seen Above

AFTER 1066

BB`s Painting

The Normans now control all of England. The Church of Rome had stamped their mark upon a third of olde England taken as a prize for helping that Bastard William to his throne. William being very shrewd and acutely wise gave them mostly the muddy Fen Lands soaked heavily in water. Little did he realize that they knew how to drain such a land which could then be used for farming. The diverted water flowed elsewhere, but where? Onto Nog Bad Beano`s land, that is where. :(

Forging Ahead

Now it was the case that the Norman Barons needed steel by the plenty for production of fine double edged swords. Swords that could swish a chop,slice through heavy studded leather and metal too, along with those poor unfortunate fellow`s that happened to be a wearing it.

The Church soon became interested in this special enterprising field of highly secret engineering .

Yes so many stones are arriving daily for Nog Bad Beano`s building in fill, "But will that invention of his work?" __ Sure it will the Oracle sings of a future Nellie Dean.
Fred G will know of her. i think?

:coffee: i wonder what happened to that sing along Oracle ?

My Water Wheel Workshop of April 2918

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21592#p236087

in the realms of fantasy the castings and extra modeled things come together. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials