Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2019, 19:30

As these are rather flimsy plastic they have been filled up with Plaster of Paris, which produces a good cheap solid end result. So that is my tip for today guys.

I have a bit of trouble posting pictures at present due to an update that went on my PC, that changed everything to do with how I did my hobby style picture posting. Darn Cheek,they MICROSOFT, call it Progress.

Hopefully more picture updates soon.

:sst: bb,ain`t a happy bunny.

:coffee: I will sort it out but it really pi..es me off. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2019, 14:03

The castle entrance will consist of four amalgamated towers linked by two walls one each side and gates front and back I`ve organized it in design to form one defensive structure with a killing ground between each gate. All kinds of real nasty stuff can therefore be tipped, thrown and fired from above.

:mrgreen: Get through one gate and get bonked on the head badly.
:sst: and fried alive. :cowboy: Boy that is sure nasty Pard`s,
said the cowboy who once climbed the heights with good Old Teddy,
while a singing out aloud the Regiments tune.
:cowboy: Yes good Old Teddy gave me my second pair of darn woollen socks. :eh: Eh!

Walls will be downsized and scribed out and cut to fit tightly against each tower because of the bottom slope on all four castle towers.

The battlement castellation will have a section removed so each gateway and wall fits up against each other forming an oblong bulwark. So yes all will be the same height and once linked one massive defensive stone structure. Each gateway will also undergo a needed change which I will explain and deal with later upon the structured wings...…... of time. :coffee: That`s the plan. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2019, 18:34

:mrgreen: Drum Roll Please.

The Patterns are all filled so are no longer flimsy but are solid enough for rubber to be pressed onto them using ones hands which are the greatest natural tools ever created. :thumbup:
:coffee: Never take them for granted even if you cannot use them as others do and can.

:coffee: This is how I filled my Pattern Parts. Sure it could be laid upon a flat level surface and after each end having been stopped off using flat items perhaps wall tiles? Then those supported by something heavy avoiding those from falling over, then poured until filled . As my hands tremble so, I prefer pouring the stuff in as indicated in the photograph this avoids me sloshing it all over the pattern face.
Any drips that splash upon the face of the Pattern easily wipes off with the aid of a wet cloth or kitchen roll paper. :mrgreen:Even wet toilet paper!

:coffee: The Tower is not filled with plaster because being round it is a very strong structure indeed to mould.
Using split Patterns allows stacking up castings to form differing shapes and structures. These combined will aid making the walls of my castle.

The height of gates can be made higher or even lower.

:coffee: Now perhaps one gateway is needed. In my case I need much more than two three or four. Why is that? Well the shapes make other conversions possible. So in my case the kit was well worth buying.

:coffee: Above is part of a Bridge. :eh: Eh? :coffee: As long as I wish to make. By placing two casting side by side but one turned around a wider 3 inch bridge leads towards the fortified castle gateway protected by portcullis and drawbridge. :mrgreen: :cowboy: :wave: :winky: :read: :sst: we all said bb,had a cunning plan.
:cowboy: Ride on BB.
:coffee: I like to view items I buy in the bigger picture in my mind. Thinking out of the box if you like that phrase in order to work out and plan conversions. On You Tube and my re-activated Blog my tutorials now combine music downloaded by way of a free Licence made available to aid the arts.

:coffee: Here I have covered the making up of the Patterns and therefore not the entire kit building programme as many of the supportive parts were not needed. However later these smaller parts will fall into muster line by producing further stone conversions. So this topic is still ongoing with mould making and casting up each wall as it prepares to take up its allotted space.

:joker: Space the finale frontier. :sst: and bb,is fast running out of it. :coffee: Yes to go beyond. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 17 Mar 2019, 18:54

Beano Boy wrote::joker: Space the finale frontier. :sst: and bb,is fast running out of it. :coffee: Yes to go beyond. BB

You need to mould yourself a TARDIS BB ;-)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Mar 2019, 02:25

Well FredG,
i already have three of those famous BBC blue boxes that i for the life of me cannot find. Fred and MayBell have also disappeared too. So I guess one Time Machine might well work?
On the other hand not being able to find the other two might well mean they all actually work fine too?
It is a puzzlement where those two have gone.

Fred will we ever get back home to BB and MrsB ? ___ Sure we will MayBell,i think the blue box is just through here.__ Are you sure Fred. Yip! Although it might lead us to another time and space adventure.

Upon the question of space,I have the entire garage if I need it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2019, 07:25

HOW TO MAKE CASTLE BATTLEMENTS THE EASY WAY

:sst: and the cheapest way. :cowboy: Yes siree,and that`s the cotton picking truth.

:mrgreen: Cheaper still get someone else to make them for free. :eh: Eh!

This is the bottom section of the mould.

It will be filled up level with the bottom of the Bulwark and the top of the LEGO BRICK MOULDING BOX, which has been turned upside down to aid this procidure. I have allowed a wide enough gap around the Pattern for my fingers to be able to push and press the silicone into place.

:sst: this will leave the bulwark and castellations sticking up proud of the bottom part.
:cowboy: Yes siree Pards,then they can be moulded next. :sst: in the top of half of bb`s mould.

…………………………………………………... :winky: Not Without Cost

:mrgreen: Winky pushed that caption to the middle all on his own. :cowboy: Winky`s, A good lad. Declared the wet a chewing,rolling,dripping ,spitting, cigar smoking cowboy. :eh: What a nasty sticky spluttering to woddle a walk into, said Wing Nut, to everyone`s complete and utter surprise! :drool: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wing Nut, is making sense they all said in one voice. :mrgreen: :winky: :cowboy: :coffee: ___ :read: :sst: be not a-feared it will never last we all agreed.

Image :drool: My my,that`s a big bag.

A large bag of Plaster of Paris, has risen by 25% and I blame this upon the uncertainty of the trading market at this present time. The best stuff recently mixed cost little me £26 plus postage. However this will be enough to make my castle walls. This will be the third bag I`ve bought since starting this fortified build.With the cost of the Toy Kits,Silicone,Cornflour and Baby Oil the cost will still be around £200.00 = 264.32 USD =_233.91in Euros.
For our Forum friend Gunnar, that`s 2,449.57 Swedish Krona.
:mrgreen: The cost in water, Making time ,and Typing time is not included.
:read: BB`s,still a waiting arrival of a donated new brush to be able to sweep up. :drool: :shock:

:coffee: I am awaiting fresh plaster supplies in the mail, but I can continue with making the moulds.So another update soon. Perhaps you might visit again? BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2019, 12:30

:mrgreen: He he :cowboy: Ride On :wave: Hi there :read: Entry in the Journal :coffee: I`m drinking tea and thinking
:sst: this topic has now over reached the 100.000 visit mark.

Any left over rubber will be pressed in over the Gates.

ANOTHER MOULD WILL COMPLETE THIS CASTLE WALL

This is the bottom wall that has a curve to it.

The LEGO BRICKS are high above the Pattern and this is so that the rubber will completely cover the Pattern. This will be an open top mould.

Everything will be oiled up before making the moulds including that part filled in with plaster.

Because this is a two part mould an old bottle makes indentations in the soft rubber before curing takes place. Sure later one could cut the darn things out, but the bottle tip saves time and will aid deeper guide pins to form,that will avoid movement when casting up process is underway on this two part mould.

:sst: there was no waste left over. :mrgreen: So no gates.

When this has fully cured I`ll trim around the box edge, then build up the height needed to make the top castellation part.

:coffee: It cost £6.00 for two tubes of Silicone
:cowboy: £1.48 For two packets of Cornflour
:winky: £1.50 For Baby Powder
:read: £2.00 For half bottle of Baby Oil

:mrgreen: So the two combined moulds came in at just under £11.00
:cowboy: The stuff needed to finish off the top half of the two part mould will cost around the £5.00 mark.
:coffee: With the back door open, that I will finish off tonight along with the double gates while the house around me sleep. However I will have company of the hooting night Owls just beyond our hedgerow in the woods.So for around £16.00 i will now be able to cast up the 17 Castle Walls i need between the Towers. It sure is a peaceful time of night to make a mess and clear up before going to bed.

:sst: the fortified gate and bridge is then bb`s next hobby style moulding job to do.
:coffee: That`s right little button, but for now it`s time for tea. C U Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Mar 2019, 17:10

The Pattern just simply popped out,so the curved bottom wall mould is finished.
Likewise the castings produced from it came out the same way too. I will show them later when dry.

The two part mould above has been filled with rubber.
That mould ,and the curved bottom section mould were cast up,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,, and what plaster of Paris was left in the mixing up pot ,did the two sides of the gates which were buttered up and filled in with my trusty old butter knife that I think is older than myself.

Just slight trimming needed but that should always be expected. I have made up 6 complete walls since this picture was taken. I`ll show them all installed later after they dry out. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Mar 2019, 17:16

:coffee: The thing about Gateways, is you never know what might come through them.

Inside the arch there is cavity a drop down in the plastic like a step which has caused an edge that could ruin my rubber mould, because on removing the Pattern this step would or could cause a tear either side of the inside arch. Ruination I feared deeply quite a possibility. :drool: :shock: What? What?

:eh: Well that`s it then BB,an end of your castle big build?
:mrgreen: Don`t be silly Wing Nut. BB, will sort the problem out.
:sst: of course he will.

:coffee: I thought about it a few seconds while sipping my tea,then decided upon this simple course of action to take. So before I make the main gateway mould I thought to show and explain my...….

……………………………………………….. :winky: *TIP OF THE DAY*

:cowboy: Good old Winky,he pushed it all the way into the middle.

A small amount of silicone, cornflour and baby oil, was mixed using my knife. it only took a few seconds to do it this way.

I brushed oil upon those areas under the arch and filled in that underside gap that step down with my knife.

It took mybe 20 seconds to fill those in. I wondered if this roughness at the back of each arch would be an eyesore that would be picked out for sure when I use the camera on a photo and film shoot?
I supposed that it would. However inside both steps that was now filled it had been scribed out in the castle brickwork pattern. So my simple solution was after the rubber had cured, I`d remove it from both sides and turn them over and then re-stick them back under the archway and with them showing off their brick weave pattern.

With oil upon the plastic it would peel off very easily. However before trying to stick the pieces back I need to soapy wash off the oil, and dry the plastic pattern then wash those tiny strips of silicone in cold soapy water too. I feared hot water would stretch them out. Whereas cold would stiffen the silicone rubber which would aid the replacement off them.

:eh: Will it work?

:mrgreen: Sure it did they peeled out easy.

:cowboy: And turned over fine and dandy just like my fried eggs do first thing in the morning.

It would be neat silicone straight from the tube that would stick them back into place making sure the brickwork was to the front and on full display. So with that put to rights they became part of the Pattern and the ruination of my mould plus Plaster of Paris castings had been avoided.

This could be the gateway leading to FRED and that MAYBELL ?

Image`PROCEED'

:sst: simplicity works wonders every time.
:mrgreen: :read: :coffee: It sure does.
:read: Even the Daleks on the window sill were interested for some reason or other.
:cowboy: Now the main mould that would produce the double gateway to the castle could be made.
:sst: that is however another posting.___ :eh: Eh!

Poor old Wing Nut,he is so impatient. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Graeme on 24 Mar 2019, 11:56

I really like that shot of the daleks coming through the gateway with the light behind them, great composition. :yeah:

And they look like proper Daleks, not like the new ones. That's the kind of Dalek I want to be scared to sleep by. :mrgreen: (but just warn me before you show any Cybermen).
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Mar 2019, 17:17

Graeme, :thumbup: many thanks for commenting upon the use of Daleks on show in this tiny slot tutorial within this my ever widening out one. __`The Rubber Mould' They actually live upon the window sill and therefore cannot escape it. So they were quite surprised to see this gateway appear. Seizing this slight moment of fresh opportunity they enter through the gateway, but to where?
Most certainly it held no direct fear for them...…… :coffee: Slurp! slurp! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Mar 2019, 18:45

To take a break from the larger moulds, i thought to myself why not finish doing some of the smaller ones? For the other three war-horse patterns still lay in my stash box duly assigned for this project.
I especially like the chainmail and the iron chain look upon these warhorse heads from the 1990`s.

The first pattern was easily pushed in to its halfway point and using a brush handle the guidance pin holes were puhed in. When set up hard the separation point was oiled up ,and the top section was filled in with the soft rubber and smoothed over by hand. Having the bricks upside-down makes this operation possible without manmade tools.

Then another pattern shown above was simply pushed in requiring no real skill at all.
Childs play comes to mind and believe me guys it is real fun?

The third and final pattern was added after following in the same repetitive way. :-D

:coffee: I did this after midnight while the house slept soundly around me.
:sst: a peaceful time of relative ease even for a smilie.
:cowboy: 28mm Yes Pards,knights helmets have been stuck into BB`s left over waste.

Now I did not wish to make thin floppy moulds that would need extra support before casting them up. I wanted a thick chunky mould,and what`s more I only wanted to use two thirds of the silicone moulding rubber. I gradually built up the three tier of levels in the mould using LEGO BRICKS as was pure usual, but saved a third in mixture costs.

Removal of bricks .

I always enjoy this part.

Oily but nice.

The entire mould was left free standing with the patterns showing at the side, what will be the pouring points needed to cast them up. One elastic bands will hold these together before pouring the stuff into them.i will require several hundred of this unicorn shape.

:sst: a third is a big saving bb. :mrgreen: Yes and a 33% saving at that. :read: So with some costs rising sky high this sharp dive down in rubber use will help balance the budget to a fine even horizontal level. :coffee: It sure will, and the mould containing the three patterns will cure 40 minutes earlier too.
:cowboy: Y did you not think this out before now BB ? :mrgreen: Brain block perhaps?
:coffee: That is the way of things sometimes I guess? Results will be shown next time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Mar 2019, 13:02

With hundreds of smaller rough, tough castings made along with a build up of massive towers it was now time to proceed with the making of the walls.

Three part moulds soon threw up 14 walls in two stages. Slight trimming is and was required but not much.

The Double Gateway`s footprint was mapped out on the work table, although another upper wall section will be required to lift the walls to a correct height corresponding with the plans I carry in my head. ;-)

The stone statues man the towers as the walls stretch out the castles reach to others that have waited patiently indeed. As you the reader has, but hand made moulds and their castings have taken lots of time out of my days. The typing does too,but good communication however odd needs to be undertaken.

Each wall will be scribed out in order to fit the bottom and top curve of each tower.

As I undertake to make the last three rubber moulds needed to finish the main defensive structure, it has been a long haul since I started this project way back in November of last year and I have enjoyed every day or night that I worked on it.

https://youtu.be/88SzgBeRjfU :coffee: i c u soon perhaps? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Mar 2019, 14:58

Your town look a little crowded, but very nice! And I do love the crowded look!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Mar 2019, 00:44

Hi Gunnar.
Yes, the table top is well stacked up to be sure of having a good supply of castings for any designed change of build. For instance one tower does not make up a massive castle, but none the less it can be a self contained fortress like the one above in that movie. :mrgreen: Although one does have to man it with super heroes. Some of you guys certainly have lots of those painted up.

:coffee: Percy also lives on the window sill, and each day he leaves his cottage to have a chat with the caustic Daleks, but upon this day they have mysteriously disappeared. :drool: Where have they gone?

The two part walls are upon the top of radiators drying out very quickly indeed. It took three days to trundle them off the production line and what stuff was left in the tub by way of scrapings filled lots of the smaller moulds I had prepared before mixing the Plaster of Paris up. :cowboy: One large yogurt pot full of stuff fills the two moulds that make up each wall. :coffee: It sure does.

So lots of thin walls for lean-to buildings and the armoured knights helmets and horse heads were made with very little effort involved or money spent. Most certainly casting up tiny stuff in this way after making the larger items is the right way of going about building anything in this productive fashion.

I recently had a guy on You Tube, wishing to buy a complete castle from me, and willing to come collect it. He lives in the US of A. So I had to tactically decline and explain to him that I show the journey involved that others could follow if they wished, and even expand upon it. I realise this is not the normal way to many, but I have no intention of making my hobby a business. I therefore informed him that I was only interested in the results of his own hobby style art form and not mine.
:read: BB,is therefore very eccentric and quite set in his ways.
:sst: and is as solid as one of his walls. :eh: Eh?__ :cowboy: He will never change.

I like doing tutorials because I simply love to make stuff, and i also have an avid passion to write in English :coffee: which is a perfect combination for little aged me. :cowboy: Whether you choose to read it is entirely up to you.
:eh: But if they never read it. They will never know what Cowboy just said..
:coffee: That`s entirely right Wing Nut. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2019, 23:22

Well Hi Guys it is 22 mins past 11 o`clock at night, and I just finished making the first half of the Gateway mould. This being a large mould it has taken every LEGO BRICK I have in my stash. I will buy some more I think? OK I`m off to do some typing on my book. C U Soon perhaps. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Apr 2019, 02:47

Well I just finished the mould off,so I`m off to bed. Big Yawn! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Apr 2019, 07:31

THE FIRST SAMPLE

CRACKED! HOWEVER IT DID NOT FALL INTO HALVES. :mrgreen:

:coffee: I HAD PLACED A THICK WIRE SUPPORT INTO THE CASTING, AS THE TOP WAS VERY NARROW. YES i CERTAINLY NEEDED TO RE-THINK THINGS OUT.

:coffee: It`s time for Halves and Quarters and Mad Maths.

I CUT A WEDGE SHAPE OUT FROM UNDER THE ARCH. :eh: EH?

THEN I CUT THE RUBBER THAT FORMED THE INSIDE OF THE ARCH AND THE SUPPORTIVE WALLS INTO FOUR PIECES .___ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ___ :eh: O,` My!
:winky: This sure is crazy !_ :mrgreen: It often is with BB.__ :cowboy: This might seem mad,but BB, is quite unconventional in his methods.__ :sst: I don`t understand but have complete faith in bb`s sharp knife blade of flashing slashing idea`s.__ :mrgreen: It was Mrs B`s, large long razor-sharp meat knife he used.__ :cowboy: Ride on BB,you could slice up a whole raw Buffalo, thick Hide and all, with that easy sliding blade._ :affraid: Man that`s one sharp edged flashing blade from the kitchen.

:coffee: A four part rubber jig lay in pieces. :drool: :shock: :eh:
I decided to pin them together with very long pins pushed in at angles right through the rubber mould. Yes this worked fine and I also decided to pin the letter box shaped wall mould onto the top of this one which would raise the height needed for this part of the fortified archway wall. After all I intend to triple the height anyway. So this is doing two casting up jobs at the very self same time.
:read: All duly noted and entered in the Rubber Mould, Journal BB.

ALL PINNED TOGETHER THERE STANDS THE SIX PART MOULD

THAT WEDGE CUT FROM THE RUBBER MOULD WILL MAKE IT MUCH EASIER TO REMOVE PARTS

SO HERE GOES I MAKE A FRESH START WITH SAMPLE NUMBER TWO.

One and Two are off :thumbup:

Three is off :thumbup:

Four follows suit :thumbup:

Five the Letter Box is lifted off next :thumbup:

Six I need to turn over

Six is pushed down and then off :thumbup:

:coffee: Yes this will tidy up fine.

:cowboy: Well Pards, after those long pins were pulled out,that mould sure came apart quick.

:sst: there you go guys you have this little something of a rubber jig explained.

………………….. :winky: THE MOCK UP UNDER THE STAIRS

:coffee: I added the loose battlement section on top, and shuffled a couple of towers into place.

Well it certainly has been fun jotting all this down.
My thanks to the many hundreds now viewing this topic each week. It is very good incentive.
You could become Members if you wish, and join in on some of what`s going on upon this Forum,
and It is all free. :coffee: C u all Soon BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 05 Apr 2019, 18:12

The gate with the two towers is really a great building. I love to see what might come next. :thumbup:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Graeme on 05 Apr 2019, 18:31

I love the hieght of that gatehouse, it looks very authentic and makes a real statement in the lanscape. That's a proper castle, designed to show you who's boss. 8)
Graeme  Australia

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials