Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2019, 19:30

As these are rather flimsy plastic they have been filled up with Plaster of Paris, which produces a good cheap solid end result. So that is my tip for today guys.

I have a bit of trouble posting pictures at present due to an update that went on my PC, that changed everything to do with how I did my hobby style picture posting. Darn Cheek,they MICROSOFT, call it Progress.

Hopefully more picture updates soon.

:sst: bb,ain`t a happy bunny.

:coffee: I will sort it out but it really pi..es me off. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2019, 14:03

The castle entrance will consist of four amalgamated towers linked by two walls one each side and gates front and back I`ve organized it in design to form one defensive structure with a killing ground between each gate. All kinds of real nasty stuff can therefore be tipped, thrown and fired from above.

:mrgreen: Get through one gate and get bonked on the head badly.
:sst: and fried alive. :cowboy: Boy that is sure nasty Pard`s,
said the cowboy who once climbed the heights with good Old Teddy,
while a singing out aloud the Regiments tune.
:cowboy: Yes good Old Teddy gave me my second pair of darn woollen socks. :eh: Eh!

Walls will be downsized and scribed out and cut to fit tightly against each tower because of the bottom slope on all four castle towers.

The battlement castellation will have a section removed so each gateway and wall fits up against each other forming an oblong bulwark. So yes all will be the same height and once linked one massive defensive stone structure. Each gateway will also undergo a needed change which I will explain and deal with later upon the structured wings...…... of time. :coffee: That`s the plan. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2019, 18:34

:mrgreen: Drum Roll Please.

The Patterns are all filled so are no longer flimsy but are solid enough for rubber to be pressed onto them using ones hands which are the greatest natural tools ever created. :thumbup:
:coffee: Never take them for granted even if you cannot use them as others do and can.

:coffee: This is how I filled my Pattern Parts. Sure it could be laid upon a flat level surface and after each end having been stopped off using flat items perhaps wall tiles? Then those supported by something heavy avoiding those from falling over, then poured until filled . As my hands tremble so, I prefer pouring the stuff in as indicated in the photograph this avoids me sloshing it all over the pattern face.
Any drips that splash upon the face of the Pattern easily wipes off with the aid of a wet cloth or kitchen roll paper. :mrgreen:Even wet toilet paper!

:coffee: The Tower is not filled with plaster because being round it is a very strong structure indeed to mould.
Using split Patterns allows stacking up castings to form differing shapes and structures. These combined will aid making the walls of my castle.

The height of gates can be made higher or even lower.

:coffee: Now perhaps one gateway is needed. In my case I need much more than two three or four. Why is that? Well the shapes make other conversions possible. So in my case the kit was well worth buying.

:coffee: Above is part of a Bridge. :eh: Eh? :coffee: As long as I wish to make. By placing two casting side by side but one turned around a wider 3 inch bridge leads towards the fortified castle gateway protected by portcullis and drawbridge. :mrgreen: :cowboy: :wave: :winky: :read: :sst: we all said bb,had a cunning plan.
:cowboy: Ride on BB.
:coffee: I like to view items I buy in the bigger picture in my mind. Thinking out of the box if you like that phrase in order to work out and plan conversions. On You Tube and my re-activated Blog my tutorials now combine music downloaded by way of a free Licence made available to aid the arts.

:coffee: Here I have covered the making up of the Patterns and therefore not the entire kit building programme as many of the supportive parts were not needed. However later these smaller parts will fall into muster line by producing further stone conversions. So this topic is still ongoing with mould making and casting up each wall as it prepares to take up its allotted space.

:joker: Space the finale frontier. :sst: and bb,is fast running out of it. :coffee: Yes to go beyond. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 17 Mar 2019, 18:54

Beano Boy wrote::joker: Space the finale frontier. :sst: and bb,is fast running out of it. :coffee: Yes to go beyond. BB

You need to mould yourself a TARDIS BB ;-)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Mar 2019, 02:25

Well FredG,
i already have three of those famous BBC blue boxes that i for the life of me cannot find. Fred and MayBell have also disappeared too. So I guess one Time Machine might well work?
On the other hand not being able to find the other two might well mean they all actually work fine too?
It is a puzzlement where those two have gone.

Fred will we ever get back home to BB and MrsB ? ___ Sure we will MayBell,i think the blue box is just through here.__ Are you sure Fred. Yip! Although it might lead us to another time and space adventure.

Upon the question of space,I have the entire garage if I need it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2019, 07:25

HOW TO MAKE CASTLE BATTLEMENTS THE EASY WAY

:sst: and the cheapest way. :cowboy: Yes siree,and that`s the cotton picking truth.

:mrgreen: Cheaper still get someone else to make them for free. :eh: Eh!

This is the bottom section of the mould.

It will be filled up level with the bottom of the Bulwark and the top of the LEGO BRICK MOULDING BOX, which has been turned upside down to aid this procidure. I have allowed a wide enough gap around the Pattern for my fingers to be able to push and press the silicone into place.

:sst: this will leave the bulwark and castellations sticking up proud of the bottom part.
:cowboy: Yes siree Pards,then they can be moulded next. :sst: in the top of half of bb`s mould.

…………………………………………………... :winky: Not Without Cost

:mrgreen: Winky pushed that caption to the middle all on his own. :cowboy: Winky`s, A good lad. Declared the wet a chewing,rolling,dripping ,spitting, cigar smoking cowboy. :eh: What a nasty sticky spluttering to woddle a walk into, said Wing Nut, to everyone`s complete and utter surprise! :drool: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wing Nut, is making sense they all said in one voice. :mrgreen: :winky: :cowboy: :coffee: ___ :read: :sst: be not a-feared it will never last we all agreed.

Image :drool: My my,that`s a big bag.

A large bag of Plaster of Paris, has risen by 25% and I blame this upon the uncertainty of the trading market at this present time. The best stuff recently mixed cost little me £26 plus postage. However this will be enough to make my castle walls. This will be the third bag I`ve bought since starting this fortified build.With the cost of the Toy Kits,Silicone,Cornflour and Baby Oil the cost will still be around £200.00 = 264.32 USD =_233.91in Euros.
For our Forum friend Gunnar, that`s 2,449.57 Swedish Krona.
:mrgreen: The cost in water, Making time ,and Typing time is not included.
:read: BB`s,still a waiting arrival of a donated new brush to be able to sweep up. :drool: :shock:

:coffee: I am awaiting fresh plaster supplies in the mail, but I can continue with making the moulds.So another update soon. Perhaps you might visit again? BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2019, 12:30

:mrgreen: He he :cowboy: Ride On :wave: Hi there :read: Entry in the Journal :coffee: I`m drinking tea and thinking
:sst: this topic has now over reached the 100.000 visit mark.

Any left over rubber will be pressed in over the Gates.

ANOTHER MOULD WILL COMPLETE THIS CASTLE WALL

This is the bottom wall that has a curve to it.

The LEGO BRICKS are high above the Pattern and this is so that the rubber will completely cover the Pattern. This will be an open top mould.

Everything will be oiled up before making the moulds including that part filled in with plaster.

Because this is a two part mould an old bottle makes indentations in the soft rubber before curing takes place. Sure later one could cut the darn things out, but the bottle tip saves time and will aid deeper guide pins to form,that will avoid movement when casting up process is underway on this two part mould.

:sst: there was no waste left over. :mrgreen: So no gates.

When this has fully cured I`ll trim around the box edge, then build up the height needed to make the top castellation part.

:coffee: It cost £6.00 for two tubes of Silicone
:cowboy: £1.48 For two packets of Cornflour
:winky: £1.50 For Baby Powder
:read: £2.00 For half bottle of Baby Oil

:mrgreen: So the two combined moulds came in at just under £11.00
:cowboy: The stuff needed to finish off the top half of the two part mould will cost around the £5.00 mark.
:coffee: With the back door open, that I will finish off tonight along with the double gates while the house around me sleep. However I will have company of the hooting night Owls just beyond our hedgerow in the woods.So for around £16.00 i will now be able to cast up the 17 Castle Walls i need between the Towers. It sure is a peaceful time of night to make a mess and clear up before going to bed.

:sst: the fortified gate and bridge is then bb`s next hobby style moulding job to do.
:coffee: That`s right little button, but for now it`s time for tea. C U Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous page

Return to Tutorials