Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by FredG on 21 Feb 2019, 12:04

Did you get the aircraft hangar that you store all this in off ebay too? :coffee:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Feb 2019, 17:00

:coffee: No aircraft hanger FredG.
Most of these larger sized 28mm Kits will go to the local charity shop after their tutorial pathway is finished. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Feb 2019, 17:21

THE DAY DAWNED UPON THE LAST BATTLE OF THE FAMED MEDIEVAL MARMITE & TREACLE WARS

It was not a colourful clash of arms like some of you guys paint, but rather one of dull plastic grey. :coffee: The slaughter was so great that not one of them survived.
Not even one horse with a very tall tale to nay-out to others of its kin was spared.
:cowboy: Yip! Hacked and cut ta pieces they all were. :shock: Gulp!

:sst: it was said that a certain passer by known by the title of`nogin nogbad beano', collected up the decapitated stuff along with the battered shields and stowed them away for use upon another day. :cowboy: Well he just hated to see them go sailing tip over tail into the medieval black landfill bin.

:coffee: Remember that poor bent over English King under the carpark? :drool: O`,My!

:mrgreen: TOW-1X10-ERS

:winky: THE NEW MOULD
40 Pence of Silicone mix.

:mrgreen: Slight trimming needed.

:joker: Some came out better than others,due to the very faint embossed emblem on these tiny shields, and of course my rather quick fix moulding methods.

A LITTLE TIP
:coffee: Upon getting a good end result with tiny wee hard castings like mine, I have found that placing them in cold water from the tap for half an hour makes them solid smooth shiny rocks.
A colour wash dip will also show up the detail much better too. :-D It works for me.
:eh: Eh! What does? :cowboy: Drat and double drat! Wing Nut is awake, said the lonesome cowboy who always sleeps in his boots.

Below another one of my Pins

Image Ride A Cockhorse to Banbury Cross

Published 1784, :joker: known in folklore long before that release date i do believe.

:coffee: More Window Gleaning. :read: Glean: means to obtain, to collect gradually.
I boxed in that section above on two of my moulds and cast them up.

Here are two types of windows taking shape for both towers and straight walls alike.

Cut and Filed out the Diameter,
and everything will be fixed into place by using my loaded silicone gun.

RIDING OUT THE STORM

Another one from my pins.
The rather unique way to obscure the overflow pipes.

:coffee: C.U Guys Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Feb 2019, 09:57

Vintage figures based upon the Aliens Movie :thumbup:

Sometimes collecting vintage toy figures can open up other avenues of choice as to their use.
For instance sake,they could be used in a silicone mould to make similar gargoyles like the one shown above.
To the individual artist author presenter could belong the spoils of extra spilling out imagination.
:sst: bb, suffers greatly from it.
:eh: What from overthinking?
:sst: no, from spilling out. :shock: :drool: :eh:

:read: Or if needs dictate :sst: simply paint them as if :cowboy: Stone. :winky: That`s right.
:eh: Eh! But ?___ :mrgreen: Well Wing Nut, gargoyles are stone. :coffee: That`s right. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Feb 2019, 14:03

After many months I`ve re-opened my You Tube channel again,
and have posted part of this current ongoing hobby style work.

https://youtu.be/KivIjk6U164

https://youtu.be/norvYVoAqz0

Now I feel quite good that the adventures will continue on video too.
The Links are above if anyone wishes to cruise on over there..
Free copyright music download via Bensound under licence to aid the arts. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Mar 2019, 01:00

The Clock just struck Midnight as I posted this.

My very first top side tower being very light was placed carefully upon the surface of the cold tap water and it began soaking up the water slowly …..

….. and as I watched it flouted for about a minute......

… then it becoming heavy sunk quite safely to the bottom of the plastic tub.
It was left underwater for well over 24 hours and remained completely intact.
So what was actually going on? A very good question that really did need asking.
:mrgreen: BB,is always talking to himself. :sst: he calls it writing. :cowboy: Others madness.

This process I`ve found to be one of smoothing over and also making each casting harder during their dunk underwater. The ancients found out how quick lime went harder underwater and so really I can take no credit for it, but to be sure the old ways still work. :thumbup:

Over the past week or so I have been fizzing smaller casting in cold tap water to improve their quality too. The shields produced from the tiny rubber moulds will help dress up the towers in my own individual way of improving their look. In modelling structures in any scale one must try and please the eye of at least some of those that look down upon them. To do otherwise really is a most pointless exercise indeed.

Here we go with another one of my pins below

Image CONSTIPATION

:cowboy: Or perhaps he`s playing Hide and Seek? :winky: Here I come ready or not.

More ongoing hobby style work continues at my ease and I find it does relax my over active mind to dwell upon better things then those that worry the heck out of me.

So guys here I have a Playmobil toy being clipped into a useful to use roofing Pattern.

Just snipping this is child`s play while having constructive topsy turvy fun.
Why do I refer to it in this way? Topsy Turvy, actually means upside down,and when one makes a mould the impression left in the rubber is inside out, or in deed of value upside down. So it being no riddle, there we have it. :-D

This will be a very useful lean-to roof to mould. :mrgreen: Yip! It sure will.

Imagine a right angled building with this simple lean-to roof on top. This section will contrast well with the tower roofing scheme high above it,and the flat tile roofing too. I`ll show that flat tile section at a later date.

My unconventional way often produces stuff that is quite scruffy looking, but I aim for no perfection and like to consider imperfections as one of adding character to my scratch built features. Below in the picture the content shown certainly falls into that category of my explanation. I kinda like it when I get to show a laid over constructive idea.

A very welcome and needful conversion as another set of windows are added to this building with the slight rounding stonework that was originally above the door now a small window providing light into a deep dark basement cellar.
:mrgreen: I bet there`s plenty of spiders down there?
:sst: if there were bb, has long ago lumped medieval plaster a plenty upon the heads of those eight legged things.

:coffee: That is it for now guys, BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Mar 2019, 23:01

Slight change of habbit,but the two moulds are made. I finished them a few minutes ago.
I`ve been quite lazy today because yes,i finally caught Mrs B`s Cold, Aaaaatish-OOOOOOOOOOO !
So no smilies today,i can`t have them catching it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 07 Mar 2019, 09:17

:cowboy: Oh Eck! He's got a virus. :(

:coffee: It's OK , we're safe . We have Image

:-D
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Mar 2019, 00:38

Yip Eye Has 1 FredG, BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Mar 2019, 04:43

….. And so it was that after a tiresome rough nights sleep I arose dopy-like upon quite a wet, sullen ,cold damp morning. Upon realising who I was and above all where I was,then it was first things first,as I checked on the progress results of another rubber mould quirky adventure. As you might be well able to see ? I removed the box that had surrounded them,and the patterns readily popped out without any difficulty, as they were well oiled up with that slippery baby oil. It also smelt quite pleasant as i had used a quarter mix of baby powder in with the cornflour which made for a much more smoother end result after the silicone had been oiled and finger and thumbed in. The interesting thing I have found out, as far as I am concerned is that all that baby stuff sure makes for durable moulds if one needs 10 castings or indeed a hundred more. With a combined cost of around £6.00 it was real value for my money.
:sst: and bb, gets to share the results good or otherwise with you.

:coffee: The Cold I freely caught,and made sure no one else caught a doulble barrelled lung-full from me has subsided which made me feel very glad indeed that I had not. Yes as I type this , so far not even one sneeze. Although as you might well know there was a terrific long a coming out one last night? That was such a Blast! So much so that my Mrs B, was very glad that I`d not blown the curtains completely off the windows sending them to wherever such wonderful flying things eventually go. Upon pondering upon it as I do upon important things,perhapes they could end up in Never Land,or in the Land of The Midday Sun?? A Vast Stretch of Northland where Gunnar`s dog is now taking him for timely kind playful walks. :thumbup: We love 8) that fast growing pet of theirs ( the Gunnar`s ) already. Good old Face Book.

:mrgreen: Come on BB, get on with this update or you might have a Moderator clipping your wing?
:eh: Wings? :drool: :shock: :cowboy: Blast! me old worn-out boots ta`bits with buckshot, Wing Nut, has just woke up.

After doing the usual washing up, I found myself, yes washing up.
:sst: and without covering the entire kitchen floor knee high in bubbles this time around.

:coffee: Time for Tea

To save a little bit of money I`m going to use the moulding box to form the edges on two sides of each casting as it is poured, and in order to achieve such a penny pinching end I need to turn the LEGO BOX, over onto the other side. :mrgreen: Topsy Turvy!

So now in past tense,
i trimmed off the waste surrounding the rubber mould and fitted it back into place. Being once again a snug fit It was then ready for pouring. The two colourful edges can be clearly seen above in the photograph.

And so both moulds were cast up in Master Masons, Plaster of Paris. Three tiny yogurt sized pots filled my need to get that job done and dusted.

I need eight walls.

I need four of these, but I`ll cast up eight so I can chop pieces off them for other needful filling in features placed about this place elsewhere.

Quite a fair pleasing result.

So the first of a few is now drying out.

All my other casting were soaked in water and have now dried out.
49 castings make those up, with several hundred other stuff made for stone-like conversions.

:coffee: Very soon now I will make a start upon the main castle walls. BB

:sst: hello mr c.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Graeme on 08 Mar 2019, 12:49

Beano Boy wrote:the slight rounding stonework that was originally above the door now a small window providing light into a deep dark basement cellar.
:mrgreen: I bet there`s plenty of spiders down there?

Or perhaps a prisoner waiting for his family to raise the ransom? :(

The half rouind basement window is a good idea, a nice authentic detail you don't get in comercial kits. :yeah:

Your retro-fitted windows look great, this is turning into a very desirable piece of real estate. :-D
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Mar 2019, 07:44

Thank you for commenting Graeme. :thumbup: U. R. A Star. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Mar 2019, 16:34

With the walls and the rooftops done and dusted, I then began work on a brand new four towered gatehouse. :sst: it is slow going for bb,but upon a whim it is turning epic.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Mar 2019, 17:59

Taking it easy today. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 11 Mar 2019, 22:15

I like it! Nice houses and towers! :thumbup:

I just wonder what that cup with coloured water is doing in some of the pictures! It doesn't look tasty at all! :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 12 Mar 2019, 02:03

It's BB's magic potion. How do you think he creates so many wonders? :-D
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Mar 2019, 10:57

Wow! Great atmosphere in those pictures! Love it! And very nice buildings too!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Dad's Army on 12 Mar 2019, 20:03

Impressive work Paul, I am loving it!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2019, 02:48

Thank you guys,it warms my heart to receive such comments and banter. :thumbup:

:coffee: The cup in question holds Rosey-Lee my hot sweet Tea.

A Magic Potion, i sure could use some.

I suppose I can call it poster art designed to add interest into a somewhat long drawn out topic?

THE RUBBER MOULD EVER STEPPING FORWARDS NOW TURNS A NEW CORNER

THE START OF THE CASTLE GATE AND WALL CONVERSIONS

You won`t find this in any book.

It might seem odd to some that I did not make the gate and walls first,before making the stash of buildings ,towers and smaller odds and ends? Well I now know just how many massive walls I`ll need at present. It might even be more. One thing is certain....

… as I looked at the pieces and began sticking this to that and that to this,a picture apeared in my fancy. An idea grew for a neat conversion. :winky: BB has a cunning plan. :cowboy: Yip, he sure does Pards. said the cowboy who always sleeps in his boots. __ ;-)…. incase of Injuns.
:sst: so guys be sure to watch this space. :coffee: Thank you little button.

I cut some lengths of sprue off which I stuck inside the plastic frame to stop off the arrow slits so that the rubber will not fowl up causing me to rip the mould as I remove the gateway pattern.

I made the castlellations up for this part of the battlements. However I will leave this off at present in order to mould that small impression in rubber. It is loose fitting in the picture above and therefore not glued into place.

On this bulwark only one edge has battlements and I want it and other walls beside double edged in masons stone work. So with a smaller mould that job should soon get done.
l

This has even more extra possibilities, much more then most people expect. :mrgreen: :winky: :cowboy: :read: :wave: We know. :sst: me anall.

:coffee: I`ll get this fixed up tomorrow, then the wall.
I hope you`ll visit again soon, I`m in most days. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Mar 2019, 13:53

Image Sliding Musical Fun Upon The Rooftop

https://youtu.be/0vj94gyzF5o My Music & Photo Film

The mid section above after moulding is complete will provide
extra interest on the rather bland castle walls with cool castings.

:mrgreen: Arts & Crafty BB.

Loose Pattern Moulding

I`ve got some glue to clean off there above in the picture a bit of white spirit should get rid of that.

:coffee: Now to make the rubber mould. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials