Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jul 2016, 14:03

BEFORE ANY TYPING! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Apr 2017, 16:21

From a rubber mould I present PEGASUS.

7 cm x 7cm I hope you use it as a prop in an unwritten story.
There is rather a sugar sweet story of how PEGASUS came into being. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Apr 2017, 16:22

I hope to use it!!!!!!! ;-) BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 May 2017, 08:02

After being asked several times over the years ,and again this year by Delibor, about building my version of the Asterix Village I decided too,and work started with preparing Patterns at the beginning of April this year ( 2017 ) Each Pattern took about two hours to scribe out using a Bic pen. However this time fades into insignificance when compared with a casting that took 5 minutes to make. So 6 Patterns are complete so far in this endeavour. Each Pattern cost about £3.00 to make in UK Sterling!
All Patterns being expendable were destroyed when removing them from the mould, however all is not lost because thier impressions are left there within the rubber. :-D

These are the last two remaining Patterns made to produce moulds for my own designed ASTERIX VILLAGE, based upon the Cartoon and Comics of former times.
Interchangeable parts,make up two buildings in one. So all sides of a table can be viewed with interesting looks as one walks around the table. The design allows for side upright walls to be added to the scratch buildings simply by stopping off the pointed ends in the moulds concerned. So many types of buildings can be created using just one mould.

Several wattle & daub,stone,and wood side wall Patterns will be made soon,along with 4 sided stone type chimney`s based upon the comics and not historical reference.Although planned interchangeable roof toppings in toy- like fashion can be actually influenced by it, in a tongue in cheek like way. "HORAH !" I have lots of thoughts upon,Hay, Wood and Cake-like toppings for roofs upon these toy`s that are spinning in my head. Which is all part of the fun. As is typing this also. :-D

These slightly smaller Patterns about to be cut out today are shown with period piece 1970`s Asterix 38mm figures, from the Dargaud Bubble Gum Range, which were all based upon the year 1959 Asterix & Obelix Comics. A few small trees, still not finished are also placed for comparison. These Patterns will give variance to the height of lots more buildings if and when needed. All the buildings are designed with open windows and half doors so added lights can be installed for an altogether differing delightful show.

The Tree House,is also being considered at this time. :-D One has to show wit,at times instead of boring straight faced facts and frames.

Three of the Patterns looking well before destruction.

The full door front.

The half stable type door front.

Full door

Half door larger stone work boulders. ( One more to cast up )

Full door larger size stone work boulders. ( One more to cast up )

Uterlizing the under side of Patterns, my other press in Patterns for much smaller works were simply pushed in like `Pegaces ',was. So side walls of various types need cost nothing at all to make. It goes without saying really that these flexi silicone moulds could produce hundreds of good clean castings.

Well that`s it for now guys. See you perhaps later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by dykio on 05 May 2017, 15:25

I always enjoy these posts of you but this is something i will follow for sure Paul! Reminds me of my still not finished village :

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9487&p=114819&hilit=asterix+house#p114819

Perhaps it gives you some more inspiration Paul, anyway go on !!!! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 May 2017, 00:25

Thank you Dykio,for the Link,your work is beautiful and well worthy of praise my friend. It was the first viewing of it for me,and yes it does inspire that is for certain. Yes I will continue with the scratch building on this project and the roof tops are the most important part of any build. So hopefully next week will see that type of on going work.

Failures above. Although might be good for odd fences.

I had stab at wattle yesterday and error after error on trying to make two Patterns,but one learns from mistakes that is for sure,and I make plenty upon such a certain pathway ( i ) .
Wood and Wire ones next. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 06 May 2017, 08:46

Image Crazy :shock: :-D :-D
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 May 2017, 19:39

There are 9 chimney`s for 18 houses to cast up now, and a few odd wall`s which I`ll show here later,but the stonework for housing and other features in the Asterix Village is all done and dusted.So that really ends this project here dealing with rubber moulds.

All the roofs will be built up using lots of topsy, turvy, stuff that comes to hand. So I`ll get back to posting each result elsewhere here on the Forum as each building evolves using easy to obtain material.

Thanks for looking.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 May 2017, 14:30

Silly me here are the other moulds! ;-)

A Smaller House Pattern awaits the silicone.

Duly filled along with three other smaller parts,containing universal pathway fittings.

The outside edge is cut off.

The inside of window are cut at a sloop.

The Half & Full Door Sets

All castings were quickly removed easily 20 minutes after casting up.
The total cost for casting the six up in Plaster of Paris____________________ 60 Pence! :thumbup:

The Paithway_____

_____Floats Away BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 May 2017, 14:51

The simple A Frame Patterns were made today. Two will help support aloft a ton of hay roofing!
It will be possible to look through the entire building from either end when the fire light is installed in the middle. Having no great need to sculpt out lots of detail, because it will not be seen,only a few stones needed pen and inked.

I will make the silicon rubber moulds sometime tonight after Tea. You might call it Dinner? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 May 2017, 18:12

Always seeking out stuff for other uses I present the icing sugar mould,and being silicon rubber it will slot in nicely here within my fantasy projects.

RAISING PEGASUS is far from being over.
When complete it in total will be another Pattern. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 15 May 2017, 20:44

Cool stuff Paul, I have to start as well on the houses now. First look at your interesting ideas.
My first inspiration I got from Dykio, and now with a mix if BB.... so must be easy to have the best ideas for me, hahahaha
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 May 2017, 13:23

Thanks for the encouraging comment Remco. Working on this project and writing more `Polywhat`, storys along with `The Duel,`my books kinda takes up most of my time.

Over 3000,visits here on the Forum,since i began the Asterix, project sort of leap frogged me over silence to continue posting here. This place Tutorials is a comfy second home to me,and i often stop by to look at other stuff duly laid like golden eggs upon it.
:mrgreen: "Perhaps Jack might try stealing them?"
:read: "If he has the magic beans to do so"
:sst: "or a cow to make a trade!"
:cowboy: " Surely Pards,every one knows of poor Jack?"
:sst: " and of the little pigs house of straw?"

For added fun the last large size A Frame makes it possible to position figures at windows on slipped into place flooring. As indeed do the small sized ones.
Having limited time silicon rubber moulds, producing universal fittings come into play for all the same size buildings,the fronts,the backs and now the roof supports.

The roofing material has been well sounded out and small test sample pieces made,so adding roofing by hand will not be any problem and perhaps a long eared Hare or two might well be added like those above ,although my roofs will be much more bunny style ramshackled into place .

I still need to get into gear and finish designing each quirky chimney today. See Ya BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 May 2017, 16:47

As my first new Corinthian line of moulding begins, for another fantasy journey,this last Apex mould for the Asterix Village, reaches its end.It awaits the silicon to fill it and that will be tonight.

Painting and assembly for the first two buildings for the Asterix Village, will be shown on Work in Progress. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jun 2017, 13:48

A stormy dark day saw me casting up these rubber moulds. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jun 2017, 12:16

This is my method of making tiny wee moulds.
The pictures show stage three of the water,soap and silicone process.

She stands 30mm in height.
:sst: " and is happy to be released from that confined space."

The white plaster odd-side is another clean means of producing the two part mould. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Jun 2017, 14:12

Good that she was happy! Heard that she can have quite a sharp tongue!

Edit:

And you made three of her!!! :eh: :eh: :eh:
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jun 2017, 13:26

Well Gunnar,i actually made six to use as props to look out through windows set into my comic style fantasy buildings. So i get to keep my period piece 1970`s bought figures totally on show.
The tiny mould cost less than a Pound UK Sterling to make.
The ceramic porcelain mix a mere dribble ,nothing! It was left overs from a larger pour. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 03 Jul 2017, 20:09

MABO wrote:Image Crazy :shock: :-D :-D

Nono, healthy! Vegetables are good for all of us! :mrgreen:

@Paul: you did some very nice progress in this topic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Jul 2017, 20:20

Over two years ago i made a three part mould,and the castings produced from it had lots of mould lines to trim off. I decided to improve the process and make a mould for producing castings with not one mold line to trim off. What follows is how i did it.

A slightly larger size piece this time.

A plaster Odd-Side designed to reduce the height of the plinth. This reduction will aid removal.

Selotape stuck around the base,then pattern placed into a Lego Box and plaster poured in up to the neat edge of tape.

When hard Silicon was put on by hand. __________It cost £2.75 to make.

The result a pull out mould so no trimming to do this time. Yes the Pattern was easily removed.

Cutting and thinning out the rubber all around will allow the mould to flex.

Doing so will allow the casting to be angled out.

A quick wash in soapy water and it is ready to pour the mixture in.

Plaster of Paris!

20 Minutes later the casting was removed.

Tiny bit of damage,but that`s ok i only need four and half thousands year old sphinx`es! :mrgreen:

All ready for the next one. So this weeks production line is in full swing.

It will be a couple of weeks before the massive colour-wash dipping takes place. All the Columns have been cast up. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials