Tutorials

home made modelling tools

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Dec 2015, 06:01

On another thread here, the Emperor describes how to make a 'pin tool'.

Now I guess we all have our collection of oddly twisted paper clips etc but what tools have you made/adapted for the hobby?

I have a sharpened & straightened fish hook that was set into the end of a pen nib. It was made by a girl to pierce earlobes & I took it off her in the course of my duties.

It makes an excellent hole-piercer before I got my pin vise. I use it to clear the caps of clogged paint or glue bottles, scrapping out paint in old figures I'm cleaning up to re-paint & other times when I want something small & sharp & strong.

What tools have you made?
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Dec 2015, 08:41

When I was younger I used to paint with sharpened tooth-picks. Good for eye-brows, moustaches and such, but I painted whole figures. Brushes were expensive, toothpicks cheap.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bramble15 on 16 Dec 2015, 13:14

@ Susofrick - that is so funny. That is exactly how I started! When I first decided that I wanted to try painting 1/72 I thought there is no way, literally no way I could paint belts, straps, piping with a brush. Lets sharpen some toothpicks and dip and stick, dip and stick until your hands cramped up so bad you couldn't unclentch them. After about 2 boxes of figures I made the switch and since then have had successes and failures alike.

To the original post - I use my own de-seamer tools. I take old paint brushes and slice off all remaining bristles and insert a piece of rod. Then I apply a generous amount of super glue to hold. Then with my dremel I shape it to a pointed end, rounded end, whatever I want or need. Then when I prep the mold lines I heat up the tip and run it across the seam. Works well for me, much better than a paper clip or rod stuck in a cork.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 17:43

Paint Brushes by Paul Howes

Often is the case story`s can be highly amusing true,
And i would prefer to paint them as such,
But needs dictate,and the reality of former times ring out most true.

The Month was November,and the Year was 1958,
and Norwich City coldly wore its cloak of coal smog well.
There would be many a Stave to come before it was truily lifted.

As a lad there was no money for buying paint brushes so using a Matchstick split at one end a little way in,i then trimmed it down slightly into a taper with a razor blade,inserted my own hair into the split,and then wound Mom`s Finest Cotton around and around it . Tied up neatly,and with my hair trimmed for style and use ,my tiny paint brush was finished. The cotton was painted using another matchstick to keep it strongly in place. For a nine year-old boy i had lots of hair,no money ,but lots of tiny brushes.Finally after running errands at threepence a time, the Half Crown needed was slowily saved up ,and the model ,glue and paint bought from WOOLWORTHS. I had saved a Shilling by not having to buy paint brushes. Yes and my AIRFIX Messerschmitt 109 was painted up. I cannot say it was a highly prized look although it was most certainly the envy of all my friends,as we ran about in circles making awful noises fit enough to send people scurrying for cover back to their round topped Anderson Shelter Sheds.
As for my little home spun paint brushes they cleaned up nice dipped in the Parifin which was bought for the shed heater. However it must be said," They were far neater than the hair left upon my head of such wide eyed dreams." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Dec 2015, 19:23

Ingenuity, improvisation, and dedication are evident in your story BB. Thanks for sharing. When I was young, I dipped a shirt pin into the Testor's silver enamel to make buttons, medals, eagles, buckles, and other fine details.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Dec 2015, 21:04

Susofrick wrote:. Brushes were expensive, toothpicks cheap.

Still are.

This is threatening to become an 'Old Timers' thread.

....In my day, we plucked hairs from Granny's facial mole to make 01 paint brushes.....

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bramble15 on 16 Dec 2015, 23:51

Thank you Donald, I just threw up in my mouth!!!!! :eh:

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Dec 2015, 00:31

Donald,Years might pass by,but at 67 i am as bright as a shiny new brass button, and having just paid out £258.328.56p Tax on my earnings this year that`s not bad for an Old Timer. I happen to hold three Masters Degrees for Physics,Engineering , English Literature and Creative Writing. I worked for NASA for three years. Retired I live on a small Pension of £168.527.57p a year,plus my State Pension. I write Children`s Story Books and most of those earning go into helping Charity each week.If it were not the case I`d pay three times more Tax each year than i do.With over 3.000.000 sales on my books alone,the 10% royalties still flood in daily.Not bad for an Old Timer. I smile because every Pound i give ,the Government pays out too. As far as i am concerned Donald,a paint brush, and how it was made no mater how long ago, is a paint brush. A Tool for painting,and an answer to your question.
I support this great Forum,and I enjoy this hobby daily ,and never do i look down on any member. Concerning my tender 9 year-old head of 1958 ,many of my wide eyed dreams became a reality.
I like to play the fool by writing very tall tales here ,and on my blog,but i am far from being one.
Like Alice Through the Looking Glass. One never really knows who is just a finger tip away.
OK,I`ve had my say.__________________ I`m off typing another part of my wide eyed dreams. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Dec 2015, 04:47

Bramble15 wrote:Thank you Donald, I just threw up in my mouth!!!!! :eh:

:-D I always felt a good story was ruined without a little, or a lot, of exaggeration.

cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bramble15 on 17 Dec 2015, 14:10

Much appreciated!!!

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Dec 2015, 13:44

Hi guys,in order to hide twelve truths i planted 4 that are not a fact. This was to hid the real info about myself. Spinning a tale and Making Stuff has never been hard for me.I therefore wrote it in a highly exaggerated intentional style.
Like Winston said,"In order to sell a lie ,One has to surround it with truths." _____ I spun this much better because i surrounded 12 truths with 4 Porky`s! :-D Happy Hol`s. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Dec 2015, 14:01

Bramble15 wrote:Much appreciated!!!

"Yes, in my day Old Timers would use pegs for figures."

"Pegs? They was lucky. We used sticks."

"Sticks? We dreamed of using sticks...."

(apologies to Python)

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Emperor on 18 Dec 2015, 21:08

As concerning me my first good painted figures was back in summer of 2010...I still have both of those figures...
Anyway it was a bumpy ride from beginning to this...If it's continue to be this productive, I will be glad...
Emperor  

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Dec 2015, 07:52

Although not exactly 'home made', another Old Timer's tool is a pair of toenail clippers.

These are great for de-spruing & even cutting off excess plastic.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Dec 2015, 03:11

Mince Pie Plastic Tray.

This is a good tool for making round medieval glass windows. For Churches ,and certain parts of Castles. I`ll ink these slightly. They are for a tiny Scratch Build next year.

Just the job for tiny round or little oblong windows. One just sticks then inside with the same glue that they are made of.

Colored lights will be installed in the actual building so no real need to paint then. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 02 Jan 2016, 21:09

@Ochoin A pair of toenail clipers are great for converting figures, for cutting off heads and cutting off wires which hold the head together...
Also I find one more tool that isn't home made and is good for work and economic...
http://www.ebestvacuumforpethair.com/wp ... vacuum.jpg
A small vacuum cleaner...This thing is a money saver...Why? Because when I first started to do dioramas with static grass there were many test dioramas that I wasn't satisfy so I send them on my diorama graveyard on attic...
So these days I needed extra grass but couldn't find any...So I took a vacuum cleaner, went up stairs took old test dioramas and cleaned the grass up...Also when I do groundwork with grass and brown colored pleewood I make a large mess, so I clean it up and save the spare static grass...
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 11 Jan 2016, 22:10

Here is guys one more practical and easy to make tool which can be useful...
Ever had problems to disperse grass or land material on hard reachable places...Well have no fear because here is a practical and easy to make tool...All you need is a peace of thin cardboard that can be easy bended, a metal strainer, a peace of scissors and a pin tool...
You make a funnel out of cardboard, you cut two lines on the place where you want to put your strainer and attach strainer to the funnel like this...
This way you can manipulate for example sand or material from which you want to make earth or roads so that material land exactly where you want it...
Emperor  

Posted by fpt on 05 Jan 2021, 02:47

I know that this post is 5 years old, but is there anyway that you can repost the photos.
fpt  United States of America

Return to Tutorials