Tutorials

My Little Box

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2015, 19:17

Being prone to tipping tiny paint tins over i made myself a little box that support them 11 years ago,for when i am working with enamel paints. However it has gone missing. Yes today was suposed to be enamel paint day on the foundry._______________ So i made another one up.

Here are a few photo`s

An old off-cut. I throw nothing away.

The tiny pieces to make up the box have been cut out.

The tin fits in tight and turning it makes for a nice neat fit.

Two sides have been stuck on,and little bracket supports to strengthen the top and sides have been added.

The box is formed and the two cards that make up the base are stuck together. The base is left for 5 minutes and than a heavy book is placed onto it. This proscedure avoids the two parts from slipping out of place.

10 minutes later the box is glued into place,and left for a few minutes than the book is placed on top. This is an incredibly strong tiny structure. :thumbup:

Magic !

It took 11 years or more to paint the other missing box,with splashes and blobs of colorful paint.
So now i Have another that makes it impossible for me to overturn stuff ,so that`s good.

It even supports the tin tight when paint levels are low.

If my other tiny box turns up with a cheeky grin after playing Hide & Seek,i will be so glad to see it because it has all that colorful character charm to it,and fits snug-like upon my little painting table. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2015, 19:33

Oh my goodness! Enamel paint? You are really old! :-D

Short after I joined this forum, I replaced my enamel paint for acrylics! Best thing i the hobby I did! And I have a happy family again! no smell anymore! ;-)

Great construction! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2015, 19:47

I paint my scratch building work in enamel paints,then emulsion paints.
Acrylics come in the same size cans. I have about forty of them. So it seems that i won`t be tipping them over either.
Perhaps I am old, but my models still have paint on them even after 15 years and without the use of varnish.
Peter ,If you want to get picky about paint tins, Why not try dipping your head in one. :shock: " You cannot say that BB." I didn`t i type it quick with my one good finger. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2015, 19:52

I`m only Joshing! Teasing!______________Playful Talk. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 14 Dec 2015, 20:14

I don't use enamels but that box seems like a useful thing.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2015, 21:53

Hey Paul, I don't know if my boss like to see me whit red hair! :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 14 Dec 2015, 22:08

@Beano Boy find some old box, a large but not so tall, like for computer sets...Than you need my special tool I made for multiuse...
Here is how its made that special tool...An old brush is used...You clip off the metal ring at the top where hairs of brush are, and remove hairs, thus leaving the metal ring with empty space...Than you take push pin, clip off its push head, and put some super glue into metal ring empty space, and put the push pin into it...
You have a puch pin with a handle of a brush...
Emperor  

Posted by Emperor on 14 Dec 2015, 22:44

Part 2-Emperor's pin tool saga
Right so you made pin tool, you can use it for converting figures, so you drill the hole where you put wire, and you can use it to drill hole on cardboard...For example find some box like this http://www.visualise.ie/wp-content/uplo ... _box_b.jpg
You take the bottle of let us say Vallejo paint, put the bottle on the box, and drill a circle of tiny dots around the Vallejo bottle on the box...When you made enough holes, you push the circle and make a big hole for a Vallejo bottle...Repeat that multiple time in order you want and you have a nice and stable Vallejo paint holder... Practice and easy... I try to make some picture...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 02:06

Mrs B,rightly said I should apologize Peter,so i am sorry if i caused any offence. Sometimes i can be to Witty. I`m very lucky that i am my own boss,I write each day when i like. At a time when i like. But i must add,being colorblind i would not even realise such a thing as a red haired Peter. :-D

Dalibor,i loved my little old box that went walk about,and yes it was very useful because its base stops accidents. I have made many over the years mainly for young children who dream of painting model soldiers quick and simple. A something that is impossible to do in my opinion,but children must dabble in all kinds of stuff in order to learn.

As can be seen i used it for the first time. Yes i am very messy in how i work,but it comes easy for me to be so. Is there anyone else like me that dips their paint brush in the tea by mistake? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Dec 2015, 12:39

I didn't feel offended at all Paul! But to please your Missus, your punishment is doing the dishes for 14 days! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 13:43

Upon my word Peter,Mrs B,would never let me near her best China Dishes,because i lack the grip in my hands to do such a skillful operation.

So i will Hover the place up instead. Opp`s! Cannot think how i managed to get half a rug,20 paint brushes,350 odd dress makers pins,one sock,my new false teeth,and 50 pence piece stuck up the pipe of our new VAX Machine.____________ Mrs B,when coming upon the frantic scene asked," Were has Bella gone?"
Opp`s! Bella ,is our little Musky-Dog.___________Relief! She was watching my tugging and pulling antics safely from under the stairs in the Hallway all the time.Fed and MayBell were beside her. It does seem that they lack total confidence in my abilities. So back to my typing that`s much more safer for all concerned.
:read: "It must be mentioned that BB, was a bit upset,because he remembered losing two 50 pence pieces." See you later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2015, 16:13

Below my one and only tiny Railway Well Wagon from the 1960`s,shown with tiny 15mm Armour aboard.

What with Kit Bashing 15mm Kits,I soon realised that i needed buildings in that scale. So out came the stuff to start doing the work.

So with my return to scratch building projects after an absence of 8 months,and what with me having to make another little box. Much like an Ink Well. I thought i`d show you my other two similar boxes,but larger ones. Being disabled these i made to aid myself,but on consideration i guess lots of modellers overturn and spill paints over on a daily basis.

I used my new box as you can see,and it is perfect for Acrylic Paints too.

The larger sized enamel paint and the box below.

The large size empty Pepper Pots,I use for all my Emulsion Paints,and so a much larger box was needed.

All my boxes are Donkey`s years old and very well used.
Well worthwhile the 30 odd minutes taken in the making of them.

Table Tops,Carpets & Flooring is expensive,and making boxes does save many an accidents. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Dec 2015, 17:03

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Tutorials