Tutorials

Ancient Egyptian,Greek and Roman Columns

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jun 2015, 02:11

When they arrive I am going to use one of each of these as a Pattern to make reusable rubber moulds. So that's six moulds in total. They will be quite different from the ones I`ve made before, because they will be cast up but both ends will be open to avoid trapped air bubbles spoiling the work. Its not complicated the mould will be stood upright upon a table mat then filled with Plaster of Paris then agitated with a brush,then the top will have a cork table mat placed on it and held tight,while the work is slid off the table and safely into the other hand and then the complete thing will be turned over. Once the mat is removed ,the bottom plaster which is now on top is agitated with a brush to remove any trapped air,and then finally finished and levelled off before it hardens.

To start the ball a rolling, so to speak I will make one sample mould up, and see how the casting comes out,before making others. I `ve seen pictures of Egyptian ,Greek and Roman Columns and the shape of these Patterns in my mind will be perfect for the job in hand,

One of each of those above were bought.

Those above and below can only be bought in sets of four or five. It is possible one could also paint these up as they are for a neat modelling project,but I as always have to take that extra quirky step of creativity.

All these are not models, they are Pillars for Wedding Cakes, and also for Anniversary Cakes.
Mrs B,Laughed too. As did I,because being Beano Boy,I see the funny side of most thing`s.
As a child I long ago determined that one uses what one can obtain. I am thankful indeed knowing , that striving child is still inside my aging frame. I`ve searched around the globe with my typing finger and these are for me the best alternative.

Lets Call them Columns

The Columns in the first photo, I managed to find from a supplier in the UK. The second and third photos show the ones bought from China. All were very cheap to buy,even the ones found in the USA,but paying over £14.00 shipping cost on a Dollar item is crazy so I ordered two sets for £4,04 plus £1.99 Postage, from China. It is my intention to cast a few up,and then distress them to look ancient. I`m not interested in building Great Large Temples,just a small part of one. A long lost one finally discovered beneath the Sea or under the Shifting Sands of Time! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 09 Jun 2015, 11:09

Those in the first pictures look most interesting.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2015, 16:18

First one on the left closest match with that in the picture. Columns 5 inches in height.

28mm Figures.

Above and below showing the angle the Patterns will set at in the mould. This will reduce drag on strieght parts making for a cleaner lift.

_________________Below 1/72 or 20mm Scale___________________

This Pattern to be at this angle in the mould to achieve a clean lift from bottom & capital detail. Have a cunning plan to make the strips. He! He! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Jun 2015, 00:08

All this mess would make some Cower & Cringe,
but you can`t make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I`ve Just finished Mixing up the Silicone, Corn flour, Baby Powder, and Baby Oil. Two half moulds have been made in 30 minutes.
The cost £2.20 for the tube of Silicone and £1.40 the Corn Flour, £1.50 the Baby Powder & Oil. Using these ingredients I find makes for a smooth rubber when moulding with it. The left over stuff made two of my Bridge sections so hardly any waste at all. So about £5.00 to make one mould. The stuff will cure within two hours.I Should be casting up these by the weekend. The Egyptian Patterns on the slow boat from China should take two or three weeks to reach me.

Amazon UK. They are made for Aquariums ,but are rather expensive. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Jun 2015, 16:46

I `ve playing with Lego Bricks again. Great Fun I highly recommend it. As you can see the Top Half of each little mould is all set up to be finished. Catch you later with the results. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 10 Jun 2015, 18:44

Looking forward to the result of these! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Jun 2015, 23:16

I`m looking forward to see them too Peter. It seems my Engineering Degree is still paying dividends after all these years, and what with all the mess I constantly make, coupled with my driving ambition to always achieve something good or otherwise. I suppose in reality it be a poor excuse for not having the good sense to be lazy. Yes, I believe that makes sense. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Jun 2015, 23:42

Mrs B,said "Why not buy them ",so I did .100 Lego Bricks on E bay. Price £15.49

Below.I`m using black stuff this time.Well they sent the wrong stuff,but its still 100% Silicone so onward with the project. I`ve thumbed it into the mould, and cut and leveled it off by using an old dinner knife.
___________________THE NEXT DAY________________

It was while I took this photo that I realised I`d missed out a vital important thing in the process of mould making I could kick myself because. OH! NO! NO! IT CANT BE? YIP! IT CAN! I forgot to brush on the parting oil which allows the two half`s of the mould to separate. Big, Big Mistake!

"BB`s, in a fix all right,and I`m just a wondering,How on earth is going to get the moulds apart and release the Patterns? This mixture is cured ,and both moulds are hard as a Dunlop Tyre ! "

Well guys first things first,the Lego Bricks are removed and lay soaking in hot soapy water. Now what I have are to solid blocks of rubber ,and I`ve got to have a stab at getting them parted enough to remove the Patterns.

No one can accuse me of not making durable rubber for moulding because it took ages using the tools in the picture to hack my way in just enough to get my thumb into a cut that had been wedged open with a spoon. Finally after about half an hour I`d prized apart a seam in both moulds and the Patterns popped out OK because of the flexibility of my home spun mix of rubber.

Never being one to look defeat in the face and give up, I am going to use these moulds come hell or high water.

Talking of water ,the moulds are going to soak in very hot soapy water, and I mean very hot water, and Soap!Soap ! And more Soap!
That is before Mrs B,returns home ,and sees just how much of the stuff I`m using.Well This will get rid of the oil on the one open sided moulds. Boiling water now, what more proof does anyone need to have concerning making your own stuff. (The Silicone Craft Stuff £30.00 for a small Tub.It would have cost £60 for my two moulds. I made them for £10.00 ) True I had a tuff fight getting the Patterns out,but the next two will be perfect and that is a promise.

Funny really ,and laughing to my Mrs B, I tried to mention between side splitting giggles ,"That I`d planned to distress the castings, but ended up distressing the mould. Along with two bent knives and one sorry looking spoon!"

My Tutorials Good or Otherwise, I honestly always am quite ready to show my mistakes,and failings. The important thing is we all can learn from them. The Lego is a brilliant tool to use,and they`ll soon dry and will be used likewise again. I`ll cast the moulds up later and then let you see the result. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jun 2015, 20:53

The cast up mould

Above the first casting produced. I will be casting up more on Sunday from both moulds,and quite frankly for my project the damage caused by my forgetfulness is not such a big deal.
However I should have replacement moulds made in a couple of days which I will post here,so there will be a good point of reference here for others in the near future to use if they wish. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jun 2015, 15:15

I Hope You Like The Surprise Coming Your Way

The Battle of the Columns

The Year is 1816

Actual Date Unknown!

Throughout the day,the fighting had been fearsome indeed, and at close quarters against overwhelming odds, and as Darkness finally began to slip upon them, there was a welcome lull in the fire-fight. Three black faced comrades are left alive. While others sleep the eternal sleep.

Who these Brits Were? Or why the Fight?
The answers have drifted aimlessly upon the Sands of Time.
Perhaps their story might well arrive in the near Future.
Or distantly back to a time of Forgotten History.

The Tardis is finally free from SAGITTARIUS A*______________ The Black Hole!

Suprise ! Surprise! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 14 Jun 2015, 15:53

Now I understand crisis in Greece... The're missing pillars, not money :mrgreen:
Good work Paul, pillars look more realistic than plastic ones... just hope those mold lines are easy to remove.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jun 2015, 23:23

I left the columns in this state on purpose, and logically speaking it was because I wanted to show how even ruined moulds are perfect for making ancient ruins.
Dalibor,yes I can remove the mould lines on these quite easily. These have got to be aged a bit so really in spite of the mould damage that I caused these castings are fit for my purpose.In fact some will be broken in two or three pieces. After all these are over two a half thousand years old.
The stuff I used sets up hard in ten minutes so I can cast up to 10 if I wished in an hour using the two moulds.
I need two dozen columns for setting out on two bases which I will model , and then cast up in Plaster of Paris and a Stone Mix. Then there is the Horizontal Lintel Pattern to make and mould.Total cost so far is £14.00 I am presently awaiting delivery of Plaster of Paris,but until that arrives I will be making moulds. I`m aiming for a modest cost of £20.00 for the two setups. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Jun 2015, 11:09

Really nice looking columns! Great scenery material! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jun 2015, 13:09

Thanks Peter,I found a place in the UK,that sells stuff for Dolls Houses ,and a plaster cast Column costs £15 - £18 Each. This project is my way of just passing on how to do it and save tons of money. I had a thought that guys into Fantasy projects be it wargaming or whatever might be interested.

The Mould box is set up for my Pattern,and although you can get plain columns,I want to produce a better look to the castings so my thoughts have been constent upon the subject for a few days on how it could be done,and I always try to use cheap stuff most people have in their homes to achieve a certain end.

Dry Spaghetti!

" You must realise guys that BB, is quite a Dreamer?"

As one travels through the highway of life it pays to be one.

The first piece is stuck on.

I`ve left a small gap between each piece of Spaghetti,and I plan to rub the roundness a bit flat. Having never attempted this before,wish me Luck!

I must admit guys it is rather lonely here in Tutorials, and I realise there are fellow Members who are much more gifted than me,who could take up the Field Marshal Baton and join me here,and show their very own stuff. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Jun 2015, 12:54

Work is ongoing one step at a time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jun 2015, 15:06

The left over stuff was pressed into my Road Bed Mould I made a few weeks ago.

The separation oil was applied this time.

The complete road has be made and two more parts for my bridge.

Seperation is A OK! This time.

These will be cast up later in a couple of days. The 12 X 3 inch rubber road way was a complete success.

Work is now ongoing on another two moulds.

Trouble with Internet connection in our area today,
and work crews are working on it._______________So bye for now.BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 22 Jun 2015, 17:29

Must be! I saw some pictures trembling! :mrgreen:

Go on Paul! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 22 Jun 2015, 18:34

Hahahaha, one must love that solution with spaghetti... so original :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jun 2015, 20:59

Thanks guys for the comments.
I`m still having netgear connection problems, and I cannot even work because of it. I start typing and the system goes down again,and I lose all my work which is costing little i money. I`m working with the pen again, and it does seem my intrepid scribble has some what improved. Well Mrs B,can read it so I am very pleased with the ongoing adventure that is dancing upon each line of playful stanza.
Getting back to this project the four new moulds will be cast up soon,and plans are in the early making stages to produce more moulds.

Stone Steps & Statues being the prime motivation now. So lots of clay , Lego,Rubber and Plaster of Paris work ahead for me. It`s Messy Great Fun! Another great thing is I managed to type and post this before another Crash! HE, HE! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jun 2015, 21:26

As ancient shadows fall

An idea is slowly taking shape.BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials