Tutorials

Making Mr Triggles Tiny Boat House.plus Modern times.

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Apr 2015, 09:21

This is an illustration of the shape of the pieces that I cut out and glued onto the top of Mr Triggles House Boat.

Looking down upon the Roof,you can see where they were stuck on along with two triangle pieces at each end.

I also added two paper card strips to each side of the slooping Roof,and these were slightly angled to help create a more interesting look to the Thatched Roof. This place will have Medieval walls it being the case in storey telling that it was built onto existing ruins from way back in the day. So I therefore fixed a surrounding stone edge to the river entrance, and also fixed in place a window edged in stone work too.

ONE DAY LATER

Having shape and trimmed the Roof with a new craft knife that Mrs B,bought me,which was very nice. I reached the next stage of the work which is,because I am still working on it at present, of finishing off the entire Roof.This is the way that I am creating detail to the Thatched Roof,using a very expensive tool. He!He! Yes a piece of card,an off cut.

This is not Rocket Science,and I`m sure all will understand it.

My little tub of glue is well topped up especially for this task.The card slightly dipped in so the PVA Glue is just on the edge of the card,it is then simply applied to the Roof in a tapping up and down motion while moving along the work piece. This will help create detail to the Thatch. When I did a Cottage recently I had to stipple the roof because it had three dormer windows in the Roof. This model has no obstructions so the paper card is the quickest and best way to do the work.

This process is very quick ,but the Roof will require severial applications of tapped on glue until I think it finished. Think ,because this white glue dries transparent so it is only when undercoating with paint that the detail and shadow created can be seen. So often is the case certain areas might need a little more work applied. So this work is proceeding as I expected, and soon,very soon work will begin on the outside walls. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Apr 2015, 11:30

I thought I`d show how the work it is progressing. One hours work has been done on the complete Roof.

So I added a slight Wash which will dry quickly,and is an excersize in which I can also see how using that fantastic tool,the paper card is working out. Well another little quick shoe shuffle around with glue using the same tool is required. I get one crack at doing this right,because I`m only just making the one ,so a little extra work ,about an hour,will be well worth it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jul 2015, 16:58

It has been a while since I sat here to place certain pieces in place. The roof, all near finished just needs a coat of strippled grey and then another water proof final wash.

So today I`m Chilling out doing some work raising the flint walls and stone work of this uncommon boat house which according to the tale of Modern times was converted from ruins,that were once a huge part of the defence of the large settlement up river. Of course this area was all fenland then,and that dilapidated unsound rickety place of crumbling ruins ,that was left to decay was originally part of one of the two Great Medieval Towers that stood guard there. Between them they had a Great Iron Chain stretched out across the river. An Iron Boom which could be raised or lowered. First built by Saxons to prevent Viking Longships from being rowed up river to attack Norwich. Royal Charter confirms that it were the common named Trigg`s who arrived with Duke William of Normandy himself, and after the ensuing battle to capture the two Great Guardians that stood here,won their Titles, and the name of Triggles was placed upon thier heads, and this area of fenland are was granted to them for ever.

In Modern times,like the river itself with its own twist and turns,it now seems theres more than meets the eye were the Union Jack Triggles are concerned.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 05 Jul 2015, 17:30

What you can knock up with bits of card and plastic is amazing. I take my hat off to you.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Sep 2016, 19:55

Someone left the double doors ajar, and so lets take a peep inside.
Great not one Cobweb.

Now take a look through the open ended front of it.

OUT IN THE GARDEN

On top of our Wheelie Bin

Far below,there it is sort of floating upon a sample River Wensum,and as Mrs B,put two of my oldest efforts at boat building upon this very deep part of the river it is looking quite busy.

Mrs B,and i had lots of fun taking photo shots in the garden.
i must say her pictures were brilliant compared to those of my old camera.
But she has the best,and i make do.

On advice from Mr .Cryns, we took a river section out into the daylight,but although not a blue sky for reflection,we had fun playing with small boats instead.

This Topic is Ongoing Again,the Base having been fetched down from under our bed. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Sep 2016, 01:19

MAKING ROOM

I`ve been making room for the large base with the river section on it. I`m much more an expert in the art of making mess than clearing it up. However that shown above is the area it will occupy.
So i can now work on both large bases now easily. One on that table, the other larger one on another.

One can never have enough work tables. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Sep 2016, 07:27

Nicey nice! Oh, and when you're at it, can you come and make some room here too? You seems to be good at it!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Sep 2016, 19:05

I apply great logic in clearing up Gunnar,
and it`s easy to pass the tip on.
i move something and it magically appears,
however i on the other hand fast disappear ,
if there are large spiders hanging around. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 06 Sep 2016, 19:43

Beano Boy wrote:I apply great logic in clearing up Gunnar,
and it`s easy to pass the tip on.
i move something and it magically appears,
however i on the other hand fast disappear ,
if there are large spiders hanging around. BB

Or Mrs B found it and she ........ :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Sep 2016, 00:17

Why The Left Handed Paint Brush?

Well It`s Because All Cameras Are Right Handed!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 07 Sep 2016, 09:31

Beano Boy wrote:Someone left the double doors ajar, and so lets take a peep inside.

This one is a real good shot! Inside the boathouse (by the way, a nice piece of work too from your own hand) looking outside, the water reflecting the daylight. :yeah:
Also it pays off all your efforts to make a proper interior to this boathouse.

Beano Boy wrote:two of my oldest efforts at boat building

It is never too late to give them a new paint & drybrush & add some travelers and cargo to make them look old, realistic and as good as the newer ones. The construction of these boats will do.

Beano Boy wrote:we took a river section out into the daylight,but although not a blue sky for reflection

You are so impatient!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Sep 2016, 21:00

THE SHOCKING NEW TEA STRAINER

With the first little 5 mins paint job done. Is it now time for BB`s cup of tea?

:coffee: " It could be."

:cowboy: " Those Brit`s,must have their tea breaks."

:sst: " I`mmm,yes they do."

:shock: "What after only five minutes work?"

:-D " Yes,After all he tires out easily these days."

:mrgreen: "Well it is his favorite CAT NAP CUP!"

;-) "One must always tea strain those leaves,to stop them from entering the cup don`t you know?"

THE PIN IS IN PLACE AND THE ANSWER IS REVEALED

BB`s HOMEMADE FLY SWATTER! :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: " GULP!"

:read: " Well the title did include SHOCKING!"
:cowboy: " That thing Sparks more than Fireworks!"
:sst:" It Does?__________ i mean it does."
:drool: "What? BB`s,not safe running around with that Darn Thing!"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:" Or Even Us !!!!"
:mrgreen: " i remember last time he got a shock off that Thing."

;-) "He sure did Glow in the Dark for Weeks on end after that WHACK!"
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 07 Sep 2016, 21:06

That is a Multi purpose tool! Real nice! And electric shocks are good for your health! :mrgreen: ;-) :-D

But I still don't like hot water for drinking! :xd:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Sep 2016, 22:37

In my own style of wit employed i wanted to bring to everyones attention,
that these battery powered static grass applicators pack quite a large electrical current,
and handled in the correct way are harmless

However after use,and even though switched off, the electricity needs discharging from the thing.
This is easily done by touching the pin or whatever was used with the metal tea strainer end.
There will be a spark and the electricity has been discharged. It `s now safe to handle.

i found this out to my cost the last time i used mine.
i`d turned it off and then wanted to wind the cable around the item in order to slid it back into its box.
Whack!
Upon touching the metal part i became the earth with the power going through me,
and it was quite a shock making me go into lift off,as my feet left the floor.
That's why the Safety Warning!
i laugh about it now,but don`t want anyone else to become a live wire like me. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Sep 2016, 14:25

NORWICH ,In those far off days of Modern times.
Which must ring out true.
Even though the great bells of that time did not.

The plans were put forward yes build the boathouse,
but camourflage it too.
So extra work was carried out to do just so,
by using Norfolk Reed,to deeply thatch it.

Mr & Mrs Triggles,were well pleased that it along with their private air-raid shelter had a thick protective cover over them of iron and stone.

Below the boat yard out back of Mr Triggles boathouse. It`s maked by the knife.
It is here that repairs can be carried out for this union man old Jack insists upon that.

9th July 1940 5pm
Norwich has just been bombed,
the target The Water Works,that supplies this citys sanitation.

Mr & Mrs Triggles,were not pleased to be informed of it,
but greatfully pleased the bombs missed their intended target.

WATER WORKS RD , NORWICH,was totally destroyed along its entire length.
This scene of the back gardens

Below the painting of the River Wensum far below has been in part complete.

The intention is to cut the marked section out, and have a sloping reed-bed that slips nicely down into the water. So I`m a up and a doing in more ways then one,This That and Another.
All three filling me time in good.

:sst: "Why Modern times?"
:read: "The answer is hidden within the topic. "
:-D "It is?_____i mean it is." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Sep 2016, 20:06

Soon this area was sliced out.
and the dross duly assigned to the bin.
A thing that has doubled in size.
:sst: "Yes, now there`s two large bins."

Then painted,i am not worried it will look fine,
if it don`t it might look better than fine,
or perhaps a little bit worse.
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Sep 2016, 23:57

Before doing the swaying reed bed,and filling the river there are odds an ends to finish off first and which are shown below.

Everything Starts With a Drawing in my case a scribble of ideas.

Showing where the girder rail will be fixed into place within the boathouse.

The support girder structure is drawn to scale.
The inner girder rail with host will make it possible for a boat to be lifted from the river and zipped out through the open doors via the overhead rail ,for needed repairs outside in the yard.

That's the plan of action. Hopefully some sound results later.

In this scale of HO OO,it is 48 foot at its widest stretch of the river. Other places are 36 to 40 foot wide and 12 to 15 foot deep along this 144 foot long section of river.
The supportive edge holding up the riverbank is fixed firmly into place,and the riverbed is part painted. The little fellow is very interested to see the work taking place near his little cottage.

A Top Dressing of Glue and Sand.

The Tree`s are from my toy collection. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 16 Sep 2016, 10:30

I love your sketches for designing the constructions. A man seems to be talking to you: HI THERE!

And I should try to make mi own BB`s HOMEMADE FLY SWATTER SHOCKING NEW TEA STRAINER. A great tool. I have seen tutorials on how to make those on YouTube already.
Until now I do all grass applying by shaking the landscapes in stead of lifting up the grass fibres by static ways.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2016, 14:57

Mr .Cryns. you are indeed correct. :thumbup:
The little man an odd quick scribble is in scale as is the structure as yet to be built,
and the "Hi There!" is saying Hi,to all those who viewed the topic that have interested eyes for it.

i often scribble down designs,because ideas come quick to my mind ,but vanish quickly out of sight and mind. So they are often great reminders for me to thumb my way through later. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Sep 2016, 20:34

In Modern Times.

It is the 5th of September of 1940, and Mr Triggles was endeavouring to read the daily newspapers. Well at least the Headline News of the day that is. All the papers had been delivered as was the practice of each day, and once each page had been ironed out fresh, each copy was stacked neatly in a pile beside the large chair that Old Jack always sat in.____ He was rather small for that huge chair, but supported by Mrs Triggle ,Bess to her fiends,he fitted it best as he could since his older Brother left for foreign climes."Tut!Tut!Tut!" He muttered out in a most curious manor of stutter,as his eyes scanned the front page of,`The Daily Telegraph' ,which read`,
Hitler, Vow`s Revenge Upon London For The Bombing Raid On Berlin. '

Below Chimney Pots all in a row,and Pieces of Aircraft. Very easy to model these roof top crowns.

Bits were to be shot off and would fall all over the place.

( The air-war was about to turn a tight corner in favour of the RAF,but few realised it at the time.)

The new long awaited for asphalt was being laid upon the last stretch of road outside,and in plain view of Jacks window as he shuffled his way to it while still holding the newspaper outstretched in both hands.Peering over the top,he could see how the work was being carried out. He was very glad that he had never ever had the need to work so hard as those men working upon his private road.

September 2016 And A Touch More Work.

ASPHALTING THE ROAD

Having some stuff over from doing the roofing on Mr Glad Grimes, factory ,i thought I`d use it upon the small section of road. i had inspected rolls of Asphalt in the Toy Shop the other day,and quite frankly i was not overly impressed by any of it. ( i was pleased that i could walk there unaided although Mrs B,was at my side as always.)

i applied white wood glue on the base thinly,then leaving it to go tacky,i applied another coating of glue. Leaving it a short while, (10 minutes), I began to sprinkle the gritty stuff on. This is slightly larger than my dry sand and will be fine for this job of work.

i carefully covered the area with this Hornby Coal,not wishing to spill it off the table. Then i added a thick layer of the stuff, and being much to lazy to fetch a Steam Rollor from that section of the toy collection ,i opted to use a full tub of HODGE PODGE,which did make a good heavy solid job of compression.

I could add watered down glue with a couple of drops of washing up liquid needed to break the surfice tension ,and drop it drop by drop over what you see and leave it all to dry out hard,but not this time. When this mix is dried out,i`ll brush the top off leaving the road bed stuck fast in place. i want the road to look rough and ready in places. Pot Holes and Cracks fully acceptable.
I`ll dry brush it to finish it off.

The boathouse and the large white section that can be seen were designed for greater purposes to do with the past and future of this strange unfolding place.
i opted to use a type of plug in system on this larger base,because i can simply model other stuff buildings and such and plug them into the same foot print on the base,and so change the scenes upon a whim! An Odd Sort of Puzzlement, that will have many a piece to add to it. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials