Tutorials

Making Mr Triggles Tiny Boat House.plus Modern times.

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Mar 2015, 13:38

It was such a bright sunny morning when Mr Triggles made his way to the old boat house his Great Grandfather had built way back in the day. Mr Triggles known as Old Jack to his friends,was quite old but had a certain zest for life,and he enjoyed every day as it began with a stretch and a yawn,and ended in his amazing noisy snore. He and Mrs Triggle lived at Hillcrest Cottage,a strange old place that sort of fell up instead of being built up. Who built the ancient cottage has been lost in the annals of time itself. Some hear say legend passed on by word of mouth reckons it was an odd fellow who built it,by the name of Longbottom Beano,who it was also said built the old Postmill,but that is rather silly because there is a gap of over 300 years between the Postmill and the Hillcrest Cottage being built. So that being the case for a sound head to consider would make that an outright impossibility !

Concerning the boat house lets just travel back in time ,and see just how it was built. Don`t Blink or you might well miss it, because this is Quite A ZIP, Of A Quick Build!

Mr Triggle is wondering where his little boat has gone? Perhaps some thieving So & So with sticky fingers have stolen it. "Oh Well," he said as he shrugged his shoulders,"I suppose it is a sign of these modern times!" While returning up the steps to his tiny cottage,Mrs Triggle, cries out from the back door," The Air-Raid Warning has sounded Jack! Hurry Up!"
Looking up at the mass of black formations passing over head , he muttered " 1940,Just another sign of the modern times we live in."

As Mr & Mrs Triggle settled down in the Anderson Shelter buried deep within the cabbage patch,the Ack- Ack Guns defending Saint Faiths Airfield could be heard in the distance,along with the Heavy Thud ,of Exploding Bombs.

Scratch Built & Written by BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Mar 2015, 01:24

The spoon in one of the pictures was used to shape a sagging roof. Of course the boat house is not finished. I wanted just to show how quick it is to build such structures, very cheap and without buying costly Model Kits,that you have to put together anyway. Including marking out, cutting ,constructing,painting,and simple dry brushing it took about 30 minutes from start to finish. The cost about 5 pence to make.Now Mr & Mrs Triggles Cottage has to have a base,and included in the build is this very same boat house and so the work continues here on this topic.

A few years ago I bought lots of polystyrene boards for my model railway layout base ,and the base below is made from part of one of those boards.

Simply cut and hacked out using a sharp craft knife! Globbed on paint!

This base will be surrounded by brick walls. The card marked, and cut out is stuck onto another sheet of paper card. Raising the brick work is ready to begin once the other side has been drawn out with rendering and brick work abover the garden level.

There will be a two pathways ,and steps leading to doors of the Cottage. There will also be Wooden Arbours ,( Made of Paper Card ) ,over the little gateways leading into the garden.These are based on the real ones Mrs B and i ,made for our own garden. So I will show you both the drawings, and the construction of these. The garden will be landscaped with lots of stuff later.

As you can see the Boat House fits into the base.

Modern Times!

The Drawing of the plans for the first Wooden Arbour.

I cut the pieces out then rebuilt it like a jig saw puzzle!

The other tiny bits needed to replicate the real one that stands over the main entrance to our garden.

The tiny HO OO scale model is quickly fixed up.

The cottage in the picture I borrowed from my little modelled town of HoneyWell,and it is not intended to permanetly occupy this base. The base is for the newest cottage recently built.

Painted black and dry brushed! More detail will be added later. The cost? Nothing! made from scrap paper card.

Looking down upon the real Oak Arbour.

The Medieval Gothic, Arbour is next to be built,and walls will be fitted along with Gateways. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Mar 2015, 09:05

Very nice! Don't have the like-button so I comment. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 26 Mar 2015, 11:52

Great alternative for using spoon :-D

I like it :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Mar 2015, 07:03

The cottage appears at long last,and work can now proceed on the other wooden Arbour,garden and walls. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 29 Mar 2015, 10:59

Great work again Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Mar 2015, 14:58

It now seems that Old Jack being a Red ,White & Blue, Union Man has become a little bit forgetful in his wondering old age,it being the case it was his shed he was looking into whereas his Boathouse has yet to be seen.
Gosh! The story and the build is expanding.
What is next then? Well to build the darn thing Boat and All!
This is going to be fun,but do remember it is the year 1940.
( Of course he is a metaphor! ) Watch this space. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2015, 13:23

Work is nearly reaching completion on the second Wooden Arbour leading into this very strange garden of suprisers.

The first Template that will help shape the front of the real Boat House has been cut out. This is the front of the building that meets the river,and there is plenty of head room for Mr Triggles boat to come and go.

The other end of the building will be of the same outside shape,and will be of brick,wooden beam,windows and door. It will also be made of corrugated iron,as indeed the roof is too. This will be no ordinary boat house, but one built long-ago for Modern times. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2015, 13:54

Heres one built on the Norfolk Broads just up the river from where Mrs B and I live. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2015, 16:48

I guess this is yet another small book free for the forum.

Finally the front & back sections have been cut out. The lines under the apex of the building is where the thatch roof will begin. By building a thatch roof down at both ends and sides means less work building it up on top.This is my system developed over many years,and with the recent cottage build, that proves it to be a system that works out fine.

The bottom of this building on the right is the water level of the river. Where Old Jack is standing it is almost the same level as the deck of his boat.
The first template was scraped and another redefined so I could include the large double back doors to the scratch build. Allowance for water level and that of the ground level has been worked out with the double doors being above the ground level.These doors give much more scope to what can be accomplished using this model boat house. For instance with the back doors wide open a boat can be raised up using a sliding pully system,and once out of the water easily moved out into the yard for repairs or painting. Just a tiny amount of extra work can help achieve more purpose to the building ,and much more choice in displaying figures and other stuff. The Foot print must be squeezed in because of the available space on my layout, so the side walls need careful planning,and should be about four and a half inches long. So I hope to show you that progress soon.

The corrugated iron sheets are going to be made simply from cardboard which is a certain something I never throw out. It will be glued in place onto paper card that makes up the inside walls that curve upwards and forms the inner iron roof .

The cardboard is easily measured ,cut ,and both sides removed, then painted with SM Black Paint. This is oil based and soaks into the cardboard, and when dry is as good or even better then expensive plastic sheets bought off the peg. This cardboard will bend in place with the curve that will be part of the inner build of this scratch build. Although not a complete copy of the one shown in the photo,the corrugated iron can be seen in the picture.

The card board is very tiny ( 2 mm ) which is perfect for this work and costs nothing to keep and use.

This is an Old Water Tower for my railway layout,which I have been working on,and the corrugated card board is just perfect for making the curved top. When eventually dry brushed it will look just right. See the elastic bands? even the Mail Man helps me out. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Apr 2015, 22:26

Hi guys,there are two pictures that somehow got hacked onto this Topic they are "KEMALA MALOVAICA HA HA HA," Can a Moderator please remove these pictures,that have nothing to do with any of my actions. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Apr 2015, 07:41

Likelikelike.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Apr 2015, 12:05

Another slight change to the shape of the double doors.

I have also added a smaller door within the left hand large door. This gives access when the double doors don`t need to be open. There is also a slit cut into the wall and the top of the doors where they meet up when closed,and which gives plenty of room for the hook & chain of the pulley system to pass through when the doors are wide open,and then out into the backyard. So later there will be a girder rail fixed within the building and which will extend out and over the yard with another two girder supports holding it up. The pulley system will hang from the top girder, and will also be able to run the full length of it too by way of wheels.

CUTTING OUT THE ROOF BRACKET`S

5 Brackets cut out and glued onto a sheet of paper card.

These will be easy to cut out with a sharp craft knife guided by following the shape of each one.
The double thickness of card is very strong.

By now most familiar with how I make a Roof will know the Apex shape of the roof needs to be copied and brackets made up that will retain the shape of the roof when all are glued in place as the actual roof top is folded over. ( Here on Tutorials: How to make a Roof for a Model Building and Tile It ) This is the same system as before ,but there are extended sides that will be glued in place on the inside of the wall on each side. It is this shape that will help form the straight and rounded part of the inside of Mr Triggles Boat House. Once the wall`s & the entire roof with the extended brackets have all been glued in place,a sheet of paper card measured out to the currect size will be stuck onto the brackets forming a tunnel like inside to this building. later the cut out corrugated card can gradually be glued in place onto this firm strong inner tunnel shape to form what will be the metal walls and curved roof. Then the pulley rail can be fixed in place making this part complete. With the inside of this building when finished in plain view the extra work needs to be as good as possible ,because as always the camera`s eye will pick out the inner detail in photo shoots, and so it is just as important as is the outside view .

Here are the pieces so far that have been cut out. The detail of the outside will be sketched onto the outside later. The next part`s to make are those that form the inner platform sections that will skirt three of the inside wall`s, and that will reach down to the water level. Later there will be an extension made to the front of the Boat House,that will form the same channel that runs to the rivers edge. Looking again at the photo can help because this access channel can be clearly seen. Work is now beginning on the Roof Top,but the thatch work will come later.So all will soon be all stuck in place. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Apr 2015, 18:02

Here is another little box with its lid on. So now the real dressing up process can begin.

Well the walls are up,and the roof is stuck on,and the brackets are all inplace.

This is just a scrap piece of card used by way of illustration only,but why?

In these Modern Times, i alone now speak of, I was far to tired to climb all those cold circling stone steps last night,inspite of needing more card from my stash stored in another room. A room which is located in the very top of the East Tower of Beano Castle.
As the long and winding journey there would have been lit only by way of one flickering candel in my trembling hand,and the Tower itself always cold ,slippery and full to its brim with dark shadows,and I only having one slipper,( Our Dog Bella having eaten the other one ) , I decided in the end to use this little piece of scrap paper card to show you all the tunnel like shape that I wanted to make.

Both pictures show what the curved ends of the inner building will look like , and as always slight mistakes made ,but none that cannot be overcome. Where the card and brackets end is where the raised platform will be stuck in place.

Mr Triggles looks well pleased with the work inspite of the fact that his Top Secret Boat is nowhere to be seen. ( One must never reveal all the eggs one has in the basket! ) However he is glad of the pleasant wave from those passing by. Just how this is achieved without water being beneath the boat is way beyond my puzzling imagination.

This little Boat House of many a hopeful surprise will be sunk into a thick polystyrene base,but for now Mr Triggles, has been stuck on the line that shows just where the ground level will be.
No! I ran out of six inch nails so I used blu tac instead to hold him in place.
A few visual changes are now destined to take place over the next week or so. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Apr 2015, 07:38

More likeylikeylike. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Apr 2015, 18:16

The work is proceeding quite good on this scratch build,and I hope soon to show pictures of that which has taken place,but for now this view below.

The second wooden Arbour is finished,and a few fellow from the AIRFIX Collection are out of their box. The real Arbour that stands in our garden is heavily over grown with white flowering Clematis at this time.

See what I mean? BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Apr 2015, 12:07

Health & Safety in Modern Times!

Here we are with the piece needed having been marked out,with lines which when lightly scored along with a craft knife will enables the card to bend easily to form the inner-roof. As this is a very small piece and the lines have tiny gap`s between them I always use a safety ruler to aid the work. Ones fingers are well protected in the metal grove in the ruler, and rubber strips underneath the ruler itself stops it from slipping. So these I highly recommend for all cutting out projects.

Once glue is applied to the brackets, and the cut out piece put into place I used a bag of rice to hold it down into the form required.

Well it`s OK! I over did the scoring on a few lines,but this is only the inner shell of the roof so will not be seen once the curragated sheets are stuck in place.

I cut the cardboard the size required ,and removed just one side of the flat paper.

By using a craft knife handle without a blade in it,I simple applied light pressure and rolled it onto the curragated side of the card,and gradually it helped form a nice curve. Then it was glued in place.

It slotted in just right.

Above the first cut out section that will help make the inner platform. Opp`s! One AIRFIX fellow is floating away down stream.

The last pieces are stuck onto paper card . When the bottom card is cut out the same curragated cardboard will be stuck onto the edges to give it a nice finish all the way down to the water level.The Boat House to Mr Triggles surprise will simply push on and fit this raised platform .

The curragated card stuck in place and left with exstending card that will be fixed later to a small channel that leads to the river. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Apr 2015, 07:50

Great to see! Health, yes! Be careful with that knife. But you could be like me, cut your thumb so many times that's there's no blood left in it. :-D And very nice to see those Airfix figs!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Apr 2015, 13:56

A PILE OF STONES!

However not an ordinary pile of stones,because these are special ,and go along with the iron works given out to everyone in 1938 by Mr Triggles. Yes,Old Jack the Union Man Himself.

Out in the Sun the Anderson Shelter already mentioned in Modern Times is drying out. It`s being well placed upon a plastic bag, because without it I would need Blasting Powder to remove it from this old piece of board left over from the HoneyWell Room. So as this build of many a part twist`s ,and turns in metaphors as indeed the passing river does,I hope you the viewer will follow along. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Apr 2015, 16:06

Now Mr & MrsTriggles, saw ahead of times what was coming,and so Old Jack ,and Bess ,his other half put actions into all those prepared plans which existed on grubby paper. 1938 saw an odd spot deep within the garden being prepared for the Anderson Shelter,but within Modern Times, all is not what it seems,and so the name,BUCK PALACE, was painted on in hast.

Deep within that garden,stand the remains of a great castle keep of sharp flint,and it was there within the footings of this former overpowering place that Old Jack sunk his Bomb Shelter. The hard remains heavily overgrown by thick pockets of wild Blackberry Bushes ,with wicked pointed barblike thorns make it seem the stronghold it once was. Now this Bomb Shelter is protected further still by a Blast Wall of corrugated iron that is fixed rigid to that spot.

Next the Cabbage Patch base for the Shelter to sit on ,
and another update on the Boat House Build! BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials