Tutorials

British/KGL Heavy Dragoons from Italeri Prussian Currassiers

Posted by Adam on 11 Oct 2007, 23:37

So i thought i would stick this thread in to show how I converted and painted some Italeri Prussian cuirassiers into british heavies pre-1812. I perhaps went a little further into the modding than most would bother!
Here are the raw figures:
I decided to do them in full dress with breeches and with shabraques etc because they look nice.

Firstly it was a case of trimming its mane and tail of as these were kept pretty closely docked on campaign.

then getting a piece of kitchen aluminium foil and folding it in half to make it thicker and stronger.

..and then folding the front and sides to make it the right size to cover the old furniture and make a stronger straight edge to paint.

I then cut a slit in the middel of the back, right in to where the old saddle sits, this is to allow the back edges to be folded in at a slight angle as british heavy cavalry shabraques were.

Edges folded in shown here

Thsi is then glued in place and milliput or green stuff portmantau and pistol covers added. the portmantau was rolled long and cut with a scalpel and applied. The pistol covers were rolled flat with a pencil (like a mini rolling pin) and cut out with a scalpel.

a very small pea shape was then formed and squashed onto the middle to form a saddle.

A girth strap is added by a folded piece of foil and then the whole lot painted and varnished. Voila: one heavy dragoon horse.

Tommorow I will show how I modded the figures by turning their bicorns and adding shoulder rolls/scales and canteens and the final painted regiment.
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 12 Oct 2007, 00:05

That's a very nice idea for saddle conversions. Can't wait to see your conversion of the mounted figure. :D
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Adam on 13 Oct 2007, 12:58

Well heres the figure conversions bit! Firstly the unadulterated figure!

Cut the bicorn off from the top of the head as cleanly as possible

I don't quite know why I did it in this order but I did! Next step was to roll some milliput/green stuff up and let it go hard. Then cut a slice off about 1mm thick, for the canteen. On some I also cut bits from an old paintbrush as a waterbottle too. But basically as long as its about 1.5mm round and paintable and you can cut a thin slice of it; it will do.

Glue it on

This is the point where I decided to reattach the bicorn (who knows why?) I first got some old pins and heated them using pliers over a lighter until glowing red.

I then pushed this down into the top of his head whilst hot. It burns its way in very quickly and because it melts the plastic, when it cools in a few seconds, it re-glues the pin in there as the plastic hardens around it. No waiting for glue to dry, or drilling or anything. Very easy.

I then trim the pin to a sensible length, when in the figure. This is better than cutting before as it doesn't matter if you accidentally push it in too far and you are not trying to hold a very small bit of wire. I did consider painting them at this stage then fastening the hats and painting those on later, but didn't in the end. (sorry some of these pics are very bad.)

Then do the same for the hat, after holding it over the head and approximating where it needs to fit. (I stuck the bicorn into some plasticine/blu-tac whilst I inserted the pin- save burnt and stabbed fingers.)

Next I dry fitted the bicorn- many fitted so well and tightly there was no need for glue, one or two did need glue though.

the snug fitiing bicorn, fore and aft

Next I rolled some greenstuff/milliput out into a thin point/roll and applied one end to the shoulder whilst holding the other.

I then laid this over the shoulder to the back and trimmed it off.

On the officers musicians with scales I used a scalpel to sculpt some texture to help when highlighting with paint.

The finished result!

Right- Need to take some pictures of the finished article now. I took some which looked terrible, but uploaded them anyway onto another yahoogroup, but now can't find them on my PC so may have deleted them! :roll:

The musician in this set is one of two figure that didn't need the bicorn moving. The problem with them was that the british wore their bicorns ear to ear with the cockade/plume on the left. however when they went into battle they tuned their hats fore and aft to prevent them blowing off so easily on horseback, but they turned them so the cockade/plume was at the front on the right of their head. You will notice most the figures in the italeri set have the bicorn wore at a quarter angle with the plume to the rear right, contrary to the british manner.

You might also notice I trimmed the plumes back a little with a scalpel and removed the pattern from the high slung sabretache, which I then painted as the cream coloured bread/fodder bag carried by british troops.
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 15 Oct 2007, 20:35

Nice conversion work! I use the same method for conversions too. Only sometimes the pin melts the head... :roll:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by rpardo on 16 Oct 2007, 10:37

Hi
I also converted Peninsular British Heavy Dragoons form Prussian cuirassiers but i don't changed the hat orientation.... what a pity! :cry:
The yours is a very nice conversion!
Rafa
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Adam on 16 Oct 2007, 13:50

it doesn't really, especially for wargaming, but I like messing around with head swaps and things so it kept me quiet for a while!

It was seeing yours on your website that started me doing it actually rafa!
Adam  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Jon Metters on 16 Oct 2007, 15:56

Amazing! I LOVE the saddle conversion. So many times the horse poses aren't exactly what I want. This is fabulous.
Jon Metters  United States of America

Posted by je_touche on 20 Oct 2007, 15:17

Adam,

you are making a silk purse from a sow's ear. The figures are no good for what they are intended to be, the bicornes are way too small for Prussian cuirassiers, to give but one example. But your conversion turns them into something very original.

I still don't like Italeri's horse poses and curved riders' legs. These are completely unnatural. Maybe you could bend them a bit in boiling water and pin the troopers onto the horses afterwards.
je_touche  

Posted by Adam on 22 Oct 2007, 16:52

I don't mind italeris horses, well alright the prussians and mamluke fiasco aside, the rest are O.K. I am not keen on hat ones at al though, but their new sculpt of the prussian cuirassiers and horse look very nice, exactly what this set should have been!

However, becasue these are not great I got them all for a few pounds a box, so they are a cheap conversions job!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by chen on 06 Dec 2007, 20:52

Very nice conversion! I used this set for conversion too because I don't like this 1806 subject. So I cut their heads mainly for making officers :oops:

BTW, I'd like to know if the colour could be well held on the kitchen aluminium foil?
chen  China

Posted by rpardo on 07 Dec 2007, 10:29

Hi
I used aluminium foil to make the roofs of my napoleonic buildings. If you prime generously before painting and and finihs by sealing with white glue after painting, the paint will remain without problems... at least the roofs of my houses hold out after three years!
rpardo  Spain

Posted by efb on 07 Dec 2007, 14:33

I've had success with foil from chocaolates. I actually hit it with glue before I paint it. The glue stiffens it up but, leaves enough flexibility to work with.

I use it mainly for Flags though.
efb  

Posted by chen on 07 Dec 2007, 17:36

Thanks! I'll have a try in the next conversion :-)
chen  China

Posted by Adam on 26 Jan 2008, 02:39

Finally got round to posting these and completing this thread, how many ice ages? They looked O.K at the time and they are still quite a nice little speedpainted wargame regiment.

Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by rpardo on 26 Jan 2008, 09:59

Wonderful, awesome, marvelous..... I have not words.... That's a great work.... a very nicely wargame unit.... :love:
Now you must model Lemarchant to command the unit.... Salamanca is waiting! :thumbup:
rpardo  Spain

Posted by chen on 26 Jan 2008, 10:50

Rafa has said the only words I could think of...
Bravo!:thumbup:
chen  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Adam on 26 Jan 2008, 15:16

Well these are the 4th Dragoons, so I only need the 3rd Dragoons and the 5th Dragoon Guards and the great man himself to model his brigade? Would be nice, it is one of my favourite peninsula battles!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 26 Jan 2008, 21:40

adamparsons wrote:Well these are the 4th Dragoons, so I only need the 3rd Dragoons and the 5th Dragoon Guards and the great man himself to model his brigade? Would be nice, it is one of my favourite peninsula battles!

This is the start of something beautiful. ;-)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Chasseur on 30 May 2009, 06:27

Adam.....outstanding tutorial! I love your painting style as well...Chass
Chasseur  Canada

Posted by Martin on 04 Jun 2009, 21:15

Hi Adam,
Thanx for this splendid tutorial.
And the figs look marvellous when they are painted!!!!!!!!
Martin  Netherlands

Next page

Return to Tutorials