Tutorials

Oyumaru Mould

Posted by Peter on 24 May 2015, 17:14

Those gambions look great! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 May 2015, 08:29

Thank you Peter, for commenting.
One of the main reasons for showing how to do it stuff,like barrels, dustbins and gambions, was born out of the fact that I am allergic to the solvent glue one needs to stick plastic together. Being covered in blisters because of handling such stuff has made me logically rethink ways of avoiding coming into contact with that stuff. So I made one Master Gambion up ,and posted the three part mould and the results of the casting up. I need 36 gambions for a future project. Plaster of Paris at £4.00 a bag is very useful for any modeller to have in His or Her Stash of Dusty Things. It also goes hard as rock,and is best left for a few days before painting to allow for it to fully go hard. Of course colour can be added to the mixing up process too.
Resin is very expensive in comparison. The Oyumaru reusable stuff is exspensive too,but I justify that cost with being quite able to replicate almost anything that is small.The only draw back in using the Oyumaru is one has to work very quick while it is very hot,but it is still good to use especially in small two or three part moulds.

I am working on Gargoyle stuff for medieval walls, and lots of other crazy stuff too,but I have no gargoyles to cast up ,so I pinched a Monkey from the old toy box and used him as a simple pattern for a Bust Mould.

I am pleased with the result of casting him up,and yes tiny bits broke off ,but I said to Mrs B,"This is weather wear because these things are over 900 years old ,And have sat upon grey walls since their first conception."
I have metal figures that l will use later for that future project.
Have fun guys,I most certainly do. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jun 2015, 13:18

Hi guys,the Pattern I made ,and the Mould has worked out fine,but I decided before I destroy that mould , that I`d make a few more up in two different sizes so when the Heavy Guns and others are in place they can be seen. So 60 Large,30 Medium Size, and another 30 Small Gabions in total. The mould is simply not filled up,so no extra moulding required. I`ve nearly finished casting these up,and the mould will be melted down tonight ready for reuse on the next project already planed.

( So project number 7 coming soon.)

I have saved over £180 by not buying solid metal Gabions,and the total cost of making my own has been well under £2.00 for both the Sellotape used, and the Plaster of Paris! I can and have bought an awful lot of Guns with the money already saved.
All in All,Moulding is very rewarding,but rather Messy Work! But I Love It! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jun 2015, 21:47

Here is the result of my monkey gargoyle mould. It`s just a mock up ,but doing quirky free stuff like these little heads can lead to much better ideas ,and plans for grander things.
I`ve ordered some fantasy heads which will be converted into some mean looking stone grotesques!

Below are a few barrels too,that have just been given a dark homemade waterproof wash.

New moulding stuff will be underway soon.
Until then I will give you all a clue! The next project is an Ancient Greek or Roman Capital Idea! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 06 Jun 2015, 06:46

Wow Paul, wall with garygoyle heads is amazing.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Duke atreides on 06 Jun 2015, 10:29

That's great. I've used that stuff already, but you took it to another level!
Duke atreides  Portugal

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 06 Jun 2015, 14:45

Thanks BB. It's been a very instructive reading.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jun 2015, 21:19

The Medieval Wall was a Mock Up one that I placed together to give an example of what can be achieved by using an old 40 yearold Monkey Toy,and some Rubber Stamps,that were simply pressed into pieces of the Black Stuff!

These were simple open topped moulds, and after a much bigger mould had been cast up,the remaining stuff left over was poured into these.

The little Sailor viewed all the work with keen interest,and the monkeys just giggled away overseeing all the fun.

These rubber castings of my Bridge Parts were used in the mock up of the wall too.

I also used one of my model railways retaining wall.

Then added the monkey heads & the detailed castings made from the rubber stamps! As for the rest the camera set at an angle and your own eyes did that. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jun 2015, 18:16

The first five Gabions have been painted. So Project Successful! The picture was aided by my photo-shoot idea! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jun 2015, 14:56

All painted and packed away until I need them,but I did play around with the Basket Gabians for a while before I packed them up.

Just placed 28mm figures in way of illustration purpose only.

The Master Pattern is in the middle of the picture above,and you could say She is surrounded by her Baby`s! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 20 Jun 2015, 20:29

I thought I saw my adress on that envelope, but no! I was not wearing my glasses! :-D

They look excellent Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jun 2015, 21:33

Thanks Peter.

They are just right for Crimean War of 1855 where sand bags were also piled on top of the gabions by the Russians & British and Allied troops with heavy ships cannon behind.
This project is very cheap to make for those into war gaming who might need quite a few. Sharing the cost with others also makes for lots of fun and works out cheaper still.
Reusing the Oyuma again project 8 is under way. Hope to post that soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jul 2015, 13:38

This is the 9th time using the Oyumaru. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jul 2015, 17:24

Above the 10th time using the black stuff. Just soak it in boiling hot water for a few min`s and press it on quick. Bobs your Uncle, another new mould,and the casting it produced.
Bobs your Uncle ? Old British saying which means : It`s as simple as that. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jul 2015, 02:56

This figure is the opposite of the other one and so, it is the 11th time using the black stuff. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Aug 2015, 23:32

After a Supplier refused to let me buy over 10 items,I have had to make more ,and more stuff of my own. I don`t see buying over 10 items as a big order,but they were serious ,and the 40 items that I wanted to buy still sit there in their shop on E Bay.
So they not wanting my £120.00 has ment,One,Two,Three new moulds using the Black Stuff have been made,and all have produced castings well fit for my little needs. Funny really me saying that,because this project has grown out of all proportions for a little Fiddle Wood Gnome. In fact the only places not filled up to the brim with ancient looking stuff,are the dog baskets.

Below one of those moulds,a simple crude thing,but this is a most effective way to make a mould using the Black Stuff!

Made in two parts very quickly indeed because this stuff cools off pretty darn quick. So the front was made first and after it had cooled, I then did the back and both sides of the figure.
But My O` My,I have not told you yet what it is. It`s an Egyptian Sphinx. I had cast a sample head and face up to see how it would look ,but seemed to have lost the darn thing,however I`m sure it will turn up in due time.

I decided through experience that the thin sides needed support so an old Plastic Jug with dry sand inside it will do the trick.

It goes snugly together and does not look a pretty sight,however what counts is what will come from inside it.

I decided through experience that the thin flimsy sides needed extra support so an old plastic Jug filled with dry sand came into play.

After bedding the mould in more sand was added to each side giving it the needed support. It was then cast up as can be see, The end result I`ll show at the end of this post.

________________________Meanwhile Another Puzzle Takes Shape _________________________________

Fred and MayBell, are on the snoop again and they seem always to find something that is a puzzlement for both their heads. And talking of heads they seem to have found one.

"What can this possible be MayBell?"______ "Well Fred,I`d say it`s a Tut,Tut Head!"_____" A what?"___ ____" You Know Fred? As in King Tut!"_____ "Oh No MayBell. It`s not him."

"What makes you say that Fred?"_____ " Well,I sort of over heard BB,saying he`s working on a Ray`Am Sea`s. So it can`t be a Tut,Tut Head."____ " Wow! Fred you sure amaze me at odd confusing difficult times."_______________ " G,Thanks MayBell. But,could you kindly define Odd Confusing Difficult Times?"_____" Sure can Fred. It`s like you not being able to count past 3 ." _____" Well, for a fact MayBell oneday I will." _____ "Why not try now Fred?"_______ "OK! The one head belongs above two paws with sharp claws. And the other two paws are below a spinning tall tail. So that makes four paws."________ " Wonderful Fred you can count up to 4."______ " No MayBell,I cannot,I can only spell up to four and beyond ,but not count 1,2,3 , ! ______________"I`mmmm,Fred what`s this about,a spinning tall tail?"______ " O` that's easy-peasy! I overhead BB,saying to Mrs B, " I`ve made this to go along with a Spinning Tall Tale on the Forum."_______ " Fred I am utterly lost for words."

End Result Success!

This is just one of a beginning. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Aug 2015, 02:17

This is another mould using the Black Stuff. The casting produced is part of a large stone pillar , and there will be four parts to each massive pillar, each requiring moulds. Because I am using the reusable moulding stuff I decided that the moulds would be placed here in this topic. However the end results will be placed on my topic Egyptian Ruins. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Sep 2015, 15:55

What you are about to see,is a mistake,that was sent to me. They got my order wrong on line and rather than send it back,i decided to use it on my Egyptian topic.It cost £4.40 so i used the wonderful Oyumaru mouldings stuff again. This is the 13th time I have reused it. Wait a second that's wrong because I made my button cabages, so it`s the 14th time. It is rather expensive to buy,but I certainly have justified what I paid for mine.

The mould was made and the pattern removed. Then Sellotape was firmly wrapped around it a few times,and it was ready for casting up.

Never mind the crudity of shape and form, the important thing is having access to pour the mixture into it,and also what eventually comes out of this mould. In the photo you can see where the stuff was poured in.

The slight damage on my casting is fine because I want to distress it further any way.

The face of the very first casting can be viewed.

Also the back of the head.

I will only make a couple,because I really have no further need for more. A couple of castings for my own personal use. :nono: Don't make castings that you give away or sell,both are in violation of copyright law. For your own use only,like recording a movie,or other stuff. :thumbup: OK?

My Little Sailors . Four were made from the black stuff ,and the others from a rubber mould.

All in Blue,in this type of Puppet Style! Best to keep it simple.
These will man some kind of coastal defence. Or a Top Secrete Iron Clad Boat. Comic Style.

This Oyumaru Topic has now reached its end. Nothing else I wish to mould. It`s been Fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Sep 2015, 20:50

Thanks for sharing Paul! It was a great adventure! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by hl630 on 24 Sep 2015, 17:58

a great work
hl630  China

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials