Tutorials

How to make the acrylic paint organizer

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2014, 21:57

£25.00 plus £12.03 Shipping Cost.

This is crazy money, and I have decided to make my own that will fit my needs. I`m going to make it from paper card and save all the DOSH! Money to buy Toy,or Model figures. So It will not be see through,but it will hold my smaller paints so they don`t keep falling over. I`ll post a few pictures here,showing each stage of the work.

When I`m painting I keep the colours I`m using in my Sellotape Ring ,so they stay upright.
Also in the picture is my enamel paint holder I use when painting,and this avoids tipping over the paint. I made it over 12 years ago ,and yes it could be said ,it is in a well used condition.

When the paint is rather low in the tiny can I just lift it up slightly and tilt it like so,so I can see the paint and its easy to just get a tip of paint rather than far to much.

I have made larger size ones too for Pepper Pot`s with White Spirit in them,and because paint containers come in differing sizes. Now what I intend to make is for paint storage,and so the pictures will give you some idea just how strong and longlasting paper card can be. I am not in this hobby to obtain tiddyness awards,but to make reliable thing`s that could well ease the money flow from peoples pockets who perhaps have very limited funds available to them,so perhaps this topic might be a help.

Now I have today bought some Ice Cube Makers for £1.89 which will be used to hold my paints too,but I thought perhaps they may not be available where others live ,so I decided to scratch build a little something that will hold 40 or 50 acrylic paints .

Above this Lipstick Organizers design could be scratch built too ,but making it large enough for ones paints. However I favour building a round holed one. I have plenty of card so work ,and photo shoot`s start 19/11/2014. This will be interesting because I`ve not made one before. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 18 Nov 2014, 22:26

Hi Paul... I think I posted it already on this forum but I can't find it, so here are few photos. Just another cheap idea:

Sorry for crappy photos :oops:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2014, 23:22

Those photo`s are fine Dalibor. I`ll try and find your item later. Thanks for taking time out to show how you did it. Brackets for copper pipes. I`ll have to see how much they are to buy,because my aim is to keep this project very cheap and quick and simple to make. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 18 Nov 2014, 23:27

In a fact those brackets are used for electrical cables. I paid one approximately 0,08£
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2014, 23:50

The holes to take the paint must be over 28mm dia !
There are no pipe clips that big on Amazon,or at B & Q !

Those above are on E Bay,but to much money £8.00 for Ten 32mm clips. Remember I need at least 50 for my paints. So this project will continue as planed very cheaply,and a very quickly,because I intend to make it tomorrow out of Paper card and PVA glue. Budget £2.00,and no sweets! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2014, 00:06

These are the only 27.7 mm clips for electric cable s above on E Bay,but over £10.00 to buy. That's £8.00 over my budget! I`ll be up early in the morning to mark it all out ,and cut it out,and assemble it very quick before mid-day. Really as I already have all the stuff needed anyway it will be no real outlay of money at all. So perhaps a few sweets! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 19 Nov 2014, 16:28

I can't buy 50 for 2£ even in Croatia. :?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2014, 21:27

I have 43 of this size paints and I need to house them in one bold colourful section, and after looking on line, at pricey items ,what I am now going to make is the cheapest ever. This card is a quarter section I cut off ,and it cost 50 pence in Sterling. Whole sheet`s of paper card I buy in bulk and pay £2.00 a sheet. This saves me 50 pence on each sheet,and I`ve got lots of the stuff for scratch building projects.

A large 68 slot orginizer for 25mm acrylic paint`s. I marked it out and decided to make it fit across the back of my work table. Very easy to mark out with lines along the paper card and across it. The line going along this piece marks the center line of the curcles to be cut out.

Yes, this picture is black & white.

I am a firm believer in marking out once and making a ten plate. This is the circle with its centerline which is placed on the work piece and the centerline lined up with the line going across. There is a 3/16th gape between each circle at the line! The tenplate is simply drawn around with a pencil.So after each circle placed the gap is measured and that's where the next circle is added. So repatition is the name of the game,and applied until all the work piece is marked out.

Now the tricky bit ,cutting around the edge of each circle.

Cutting completely through the card ,but leaving the cut-out still in place to retain the strength of the card in order to stop it bending and forming a weakness.

It took me just over an hour to cut out the 64 circles.This was done carefully with a new craft-knife blade. After finishing all the cutting it was safe then to remove the cut-out sections of waste.
The picture below shows where the lines are drawn across the paper card. The top is finished for now but placing the top alongside the paper gives the points where the lines go across . These lines are important because they mark the place where the slats will go when the full assembly begin`s.

Above and below shows how the first edge has been cut out. Remember mark out once,and this is now the tenplate for another 4 strip`s that are to be cut out.

After carefully lining up the edges of the card with that of the ten plate they are clamped together tight with clamps over the work piece and under the table and this action avoiding marking out,makes it possiable just to score a line in the paper card,but not right through it,to avoid damage to the table.

Once the clamps are removed,and the tenplate set aside,its easy to place the paper card on the cutting board and just finish cutting through the card. So that's two pieces done,now another three to go.

All 5 lengths are now cut out and the line marked out where half jointed slats will be glued in placed later.You may have noticed the large tick on the right end side of the cut out pieces. This is my system that keeps the assemble work simple ,because each piece is the same,the tick makes sure it will all go together with each piece placed the same as the others just in case one end is slightly off. There is also a tick on the top for this very same reason.

Above on the table 15 shorter pieces have been cut out each with an R on the right side. These will all be half jointed along with 3 of the long pieces. This will make it possible to slot all pieces together to make a very strong frame work which will be glued up later and stuck onto the bottom of the top section. Sorry no plans to show you ,they are in my head.

Well that's it for now. More soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 19 Nov 2014, 23:17

Wow, this looks nice... Now I'm curious :)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2014, 13:57

Curiousity! Dalibor,where would we be without it? Hopefully not like that Cat!
Today I will be half-jointing all the strips of paper card that will make the frame up,and it will make this thing so strong when finished one could stand on it in big 15" Boots.without it being damaged.

One of my little painting tables just brilliant to slid under my chair and tuck it in to make possible comfy painting area that requires no bending over. Just my relaxing style of painting. You can even raise the height of the thing. I highly recommend them for any age grope in this hobby.

My new paints take far to much room up on my painting table,and are awkward to get at. Far to much time wasted looking for the colours I want,and they keep falling over. I just had to solve this problem so begain to reason it out,and with one question on my mind,"Why pay huge money out on plastic rubbish that go brittle,and would break if it was droped?"

So showing you with the cut-out should give you a clear idea of how less space will be taken up and all the paints and room for more will be well organized too. Now there will be ample space for my water jar which I blu tac to the table,thus avoiding knocking it over,and my mixing pellet too.When all finished this multi holed scratch build will be painted in Gloss Enamel paint. This will make it more tuff then most plastics,and will not break if droped on my stone floor. Well after all I do live in FiddleWood Castle! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2014, 18:36

The halfway point on the card is marked out and cut out halfway across and the pieces removed on the 15 slats,and also on 3 longer pieces. This allows the slats to be slotted into each other.

This is a dry run,and each piece is slotted into the 3 longer sections to form the framework,and if adjustments need doing it is simply done without getting all sticky with glue.

This is very simple to do,and it is a very strong design that does not involve lots of hard work. However it is important to follow the guide lines.

Well this will just be placed on the underside of the top section,and this is still a dry run,meaning without glue.

The two longer lengths are to form the front and back to this simple paint organizer.

I`ve flipped it over so its easy to see how each little paint tube will have its own strong box to sit in.

This has just been a dry run, aimed at seeing if adjustments need doing ,but also to give you the viewer more of the idea of what it is I`m making,and why?
The next stage to do on another day is the gluing up,and then the bottom can be measured up,and cut out.This bottom section will have a flip up section added to each end. These will be cut slightly alond a pencil line,but not right through,because they will both then simple fold up to form two nice ends that form a nice compound piece fit for use, and also for displaying ones paint collection.

"Mrs B,asked me,Are you pleased with the way it is working out?"_____" I sure am ." I replied,"And for less then the cost of a cup of Coffee!".

Next part soon. So please come visit again. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Nov 2014, 13:48

Ice cube makers hold 21 paints each,and I bought three from E Bay for £5.67. FREE POST in UK! Much Yes over my budget,but I was shopping to aid the viewers who visit the Forum,and also those who just like to maximize space available by making their own. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Nov 2014, 16:15

The Ice Cube trays were Mrs B`s clever idea, so full credit goes to where it`s due,and the round ones are a much better buy when one considers they will hold 63 paints,and the price of £25.00 plus £12 odd postage for the one shown in the first picture of this topic that only hold 54 paints. It was armpcm who first raised the question about this issue of organizing his paints in his new space that made me look into it. So Questions ,and Comments are always good ,and its called Communication Skills :a pleasant something that I used to Teach on the Adult Education Programme here in Norwich. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Nov 2014, 16:52

Seeking no Tidiness Awards, Yes got the word right this time!

The Waterproof P V A glue of which I used a lot ,has been well applied, and the slotted frame work has been stuck to bottom of the top, and a slight change of plan`s has ment I`ve stuck the two end pieces on, as well as the front and back. I used heavy books to weight it down overnight ,and so what you are able to see is the result of that sticky nights work.

Using a simple but most effective way I have reinforced both the sides and ends,with paper card brackets which are just cut up slips of paper card from offcuts having no other use. A simple cut is made halfway though each tiny piece down its centerline, but no need to measure out for this work cut it out freehand,and then just form it into an L shape,then glue applied in dollops and the put in place. Putting lots of glue onto the cut folded edge means it dries up very hard indeed making a perfect strong hold. So no real need to measure up perfect right angled pieces of card for this purpose, and this ruff and ready appearance will not been seen at all once the bottom section of flat paper card is stuck on.

See above how these simple brackets requiring no real skill at all, WORK!

The small freehand 25mm cut holes might seem a jagged mess up close,but they will tidy up nice later once painted and will be fit for the purpose they were made for.

A few edges to tidy up,and the inside will be painted with Gloss Paint which will when dry stiffen up the card rock solid,and stronger then any plastic . The paint is left over from other work. It can be said that this could all be made of M D F boards ,and that is indeed true,but I am no longer able to work upright in my garage workshop any longer. So I while away my time sitting as best that I can using thin paper card that costs practically nothing to buy when one considers the price of M D F boards,or indeed plastic sheets. Cost`s so far 50p for the card,10p for the glue! I might well bring this in way below my budget of £2.00 BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by davbenbak1 on 22 Nov 2014, 17:29

Round ice cubes must be a European thing but I'll keep my eyes open none the less. Great idea.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Nov 2014, 21:41

Thank`s davbenbak1, I`ll pass that on to Mrs B. She will be delighted to have a great idea feather in her hat.

I`ve looked into it ,and you can buy on E Bay,but shipping to the USA on one item is £12.47_______________and on three items £17.10 So another option if you have need to,is simply make your own like I have. Is it snowing heavy where you are? If it is stay safe! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Nov 2014, 22:49

" I think he should have painted it Green,but you`ll see it completed colour and all real soon." Lin Gob
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Nov 2014, 13:49

Mrs B.just arrived home and gave me these Ice stick Makers,which are made of tuff plastic fit for placing in the Freezer,and not made of cheap brittle stuff,and which are from Pound Land.

I will use these for mixing and watering down my acrylic paint`s.

Also the round ICE CUBE MAKERS shown within this Topic can be found in Pound Land too.
So I`ve passed these good ideas from Mrs B,onto everyone that wish to buy them,and organize their paints,or infact to make real ice cubes for a nice Cool Drink. Cheers! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Nov 2014, 20:30

Job done! It took two coats of paint and two days to dry.It has no thrills added, but It is fit for purpose and all that I require .Paints sorted out so I know where the main prime colours are,and where the inks are,and all the other colours methodically placed out,so I don't paint a horse green instead of brown,or a fellow in pink troushers thinking it to be grey.It is never easy painting,and combatting being colourblind,but its my hobby and my day is never boring!

This Paint Organizer cost me £1.40 to make with the , glue,the paper card,the new knife blade and cheap throw away paintbrush,but I guess the thing really cost £4.90 to make because even though I had the paint I added £3.50 to allow for someone wanting a fair budget price to do this job. So here we have it,as promised my version of organization! BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Tutorials