Tutorials

How to Make a Small Bush or Small Tree.

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2014, 15:01

Hi guys,here is my small table,and Mrs B has kindly bought a new tub of PVA Glue for my up an coming projects.There is also something else on the table besides Glue & model soldiers.They are on the right hand side of the table near my old work Specs.Image.....Image...Yes they are the metal tie`s you get when buying Food Bags.We buy the bags because we have two little Dog`s,that l like to call Muskies! Anyway we use the bag`s to pick up what little Muskies leave behind them on their walk`s. So in this sence the tiny pieces of wire needed for showing you How To,is free.So this is how to make a small bush. Take 12 pieces leave them all attached ,yes with the plastic still on them,OK?Image....Roll them up and twist them like this.ImageThen like this.Image...Pull out 6 pieces.3 each side,like this. Image Then twist them and form your branches like this.Image( Sorry for poor picture)Now twist the middle section,and form your 2 branches like the first ones you did,OK?Image...ImageWhen you form your branch into 3 single pieces of wire just twist them,and the plastic will give you a nice effect.So you should have something like this or even better.Image...Next thing is to stand the thing up. Just pull out the bottom sections and twist them all ,like you now know how.Bend them out,and stand your bush up. Image ( Now the next stage,l would give it a coat of PVA Glue all over it,and later give it a good coat of PVA Glue & a Plaster of Paris mixed up together with a a little water.You can add if you wish cheap water based Emulsion Paint into this mix,but leave out the water. You want a creamy type mix. Put it on your Bush & Leave it to dry and harden then paint it the colour you wish to.) I am going to skip the glue & plaster and painting for this topic.The stuff that has fallen of my tree`s l will use now to show you a glimmer of how this little bush will look like. Globs of PVA Glue like so,and l am placing my greeny stuff onto the tiny branches.You can buy different coloured foam that you can use if you want to try making your own bush,or tree.Image.....Image....Image....Image...So I`m sure you can use your imagination into what yours will look like if you want to try this simple method.ImageBe warned,if you can master this little project,soon you will be making tree`s out of thin wire,only longer pieces then l have used here. However l did make 3 tree`s out of this wire,and l will treat them in the same way as already described...Image.....Image............ Image...The great thing about making your own bushes & tree`s is each one, you can shape different .You can buy Tree`s but they`ll all look the same.Here are my tree`s.l used Blue tack to stand them up.Image...ImageYou can paint the Blue tack if you want to and leave the roots showing giving it a nice detail look.However l recommend making a plaster base,or leave the bottom section so you can push & glue it into a foam base like on a Railway Layout,or on a small Diorama.I am going to develope a new system of finishing off my tree`s.So l will get back to you soon with the results. Thank you for looking......................BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Simo Hayha on 15 Mar 2014, 16:35

This should probably be put in tutorials. Very well done. Who makes the buildings in the first picture though?
Simo Hayha  

Posted by snagy on 15 Mar 2014, 16:39

Excellent!!!
Why I haven't invented this method myself????
Thank you!
With friendly regards:
sandor
snagy  Hungary

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2014, 17:51

Well Shimo Hayha,those buildings are made by such an eccentric little FiddleWood Gnome,named Beano Boy! There are many of my buildings posted on this Forum,like these Image.........Image........Image.......There are even Topics on how to make E`m. Just look for Beano Boy. As for the little Bush and Tree`s they are work in progress so are placed here.OK?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2014, 17:58

Thanks sandor,for your kind comment.It is so good to get communication from a fellow modeller . As for passing on tips,that is just what l like to do. Hopefully others could make a more of a better Whatever, then l can,and in this way we exspand our great hobby we all share in. .....BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 15 Mar 2014, 20:42

Your output is impressive, I must say it again!!!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 15 Mar 2014, 22:54

Simo Hayha wrote:This should probably be put in tutorials.

Done! ;-)

Great tutorial Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Mar 2014, 23:06

Thank you for kindly moving this Topic to Tutorials! I have yet to finish this Topic.I wonder if anyone actually looks at the Tutorial section anyway.So l wonder if it is worthwhile for me to post the finished little Bush or the Tree`s at all.blucher if you are reading this l`ll email the results to you,OK?.............BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2014, 00:17

I just wanted to add,that you can buy dried Tumble Weed like stuff.It is very cheap,and comes in a lare box,and some of it looks like a good choice to make Tree`s with.However this stuff is very brittle and if you need to move your Tree`s to another location for showing,all your work will break and turn to dust. So l advise everyone needing Tree`s for a layout or Diorama,to either buy plastic ones,or make your own using thin wire.There are cheap tree`s you can buy,or exspensive ones.They all look the same,and l hate the look of them all.I recently saw 3 Tree`s for sale on Amazon for £30,and for that kind of money you can scratchbuild hundreds for all your needs.This story is true.A Fellow Railroader,who used these dried up Tumble Weed Twiggy Things to make Tree`s.Placed them upon his Ralway Layout he had in his loft.His Layout was ruffly 30 foot long by 18 foot wide,and he`d made hundreds of tree`s ,and it did look quite splendid indeed,l must admit this. However Mice got into his Loft and ate all his Tree`s.He was not a happy Bunny,but they were very happy Mice!........Have Fun................BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 16 Mar 2014, 00:37

Top rate 'how too' BB. Think I will give this a go when I have the time.

Cheers
KGV
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2014, 06:04

Thank you MAYBO,and thank you Peter,for your kind comments. KGV,l have been waiting for a delivery of materials needed for making tiny Tree`s,and l was going through one of my untidy chest of drawers,when l spied a bunch of these tiny of metal ties,and so l thought ," why not have a go with these." l hope you find time perhaps to make a few,and it would be very interesting to see your end result. It would be great if others too would have a try to make E`m too,after all it is my intention to teach others to make odd things,and not to impress people on what l can do,or what l produce. When l was a young child about a million years ago,my dear Mother Grace Liddy taught my brother Ron & I, how to make Paper Flowers,and Christmas decorations,and later how to make Puppets too, which were sold for a few pennies to help out in those tuff days of the 1950`s.Years later when qualified l`d go on to teach others on the Adult Education Programme, but always took extra time out to teach them how to make many a crazy thing. Now I find myself passing on Tips to others in this great hobby,and l am very pleased to be able to do so,...................BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Mar 2014, 09:01

Paul, be sure that they read this section! So please post the final result to. Thank you in advance! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2014, 12:53

This is little i doing the painting on the Tree`s using the mix of paint,plaster & PVA Glue.You don`t need much for this job.A little goes a long way.I`m working on 5 Tree`s and the little Bush.If you are doing lots of Tree`s,and you mix up a large amount in a tub.To stop it going off quick,you can add a little Washing up liquid to it and stir it in,it will act like a Plastersizer! However don`t get the house covered in rather large Bubbles.If you don`t have Plaster of Paris just add more cheap Emulsion paint to PVA GLUE.White Emulsion paint is best because it is much more chalky.OK? I`m sure that most might have Emulsion paint stored up somewhere in their homes.Image Now it must be said,that l could never get onto Tutorials ,but can now.It is my Head of such odd ideas spinning inside it that could never work out how to get on it,but l can now all that was needed was a perfect balance to my Wooden Top Pip of head,which l solved by placing a Parker Pen in one ear,and a rather large stiff cheap brush in the other,and although you all might well laugh at a picture of me looking so ,in your imagination..............it worked! So l`m fine Peter with my work being placed here.l wonder how many Modelling Dads go out to buy cheap Food Bags now,and get asked by Wives & Children," Dad! Are we getting a little Puppy Musky?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Mar 2014, 19:46

What l needed next were some of these from the 99 p shop.Image......Yes,some of this stuff will do.Image...What l am going to do is tear some of this stuff off,and tease it out like this.Image ...Image This is going to make the twicky bits on the little Bush & also more importantly those on my Tree`s.This stuff must be pulled out and teased out fluffy like.Image..It is at this point that l am not going to teach you how to paint a tree,however this stuff must be stuck onto the branches like this.I have not stuck this onto my Tree,because l am only showing where l am going to place it.Image l`ll stick and work my way up and around this Tree.Image...l have painted my Tree white so you can get a clear picture of how this little Tree will take shape.Image....When I`m ready to stick this stuff on,it will be with blob`s PVA GLUE and then l`ll leave it to dry. l usually spray watered down PVA Glue onto to the finished top and sprinkle over my foliage stuff all over it. Then l let it dry.However l am going to try using Hairspray instead of the glue spray this time...............so l`ll get back to you with the results soon. .For a Winter scene long drawn out twiggy bits stuck on would l believe serve that purpose..............These are two of my older Tree`s that l made 8 years ago.It is my aim not to put to much stuff on my Tree`s this time.Image..They are rather odd Silver Birch Tree`s.Image When l made these l actually coloured my own foam with paint ,but it took ages to dry,so l cannot recommend doing this. For a quick result there`s lots of coloured stuff for sale & a little goes a long way.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by blucher1815red on 16 Mar 2014, 23:11

Finding this really useful, thanks for posting BB.
blucher1815red  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2014, 01:17

Hi blucher,once you try twisting wire,you will soon be confident enough to make even in this plastic coated wire 5 inch Tree`s. l believe Pear Tree`s were growing in the orchard of the place you are modelling. l would advise you and others too, to make odd numbers of Tree`s.Then place them in three`s ,five`s & seven`s. These numbers are more pleasing to our eyes & mind.Seems odd but it is very true,and this is one of the unwritten rules in Railroading Layouts! I`ve been placing stuff around this 5 inch Tree,just to see how it will look like when trimed up.l have taken this picture to see what HO OO & 1/72 figures look like beside these Tree`s.Imagelf all works out,& it usually does once l set my mind to it,that l`ll make about 35, Five to Six inch Tree`s,and ruffly the same number in smaller tree`s & bushes.What l will also do is remodel the Three Oak Tree`s for Hougoumont. These last Three are a must do project for that place. For all you guys who want to model certain types of tree`s,look on Line or in Good Book`s to see what they look like and the colours of them.A Five inch Tree= a 30 foot high Tree. So make smaller ones too,to give a good look and balance when you place them.lf you want figures to stand under the canopy of a tree,then the tree must be designed and tested out for this purpose,like in my photo.Image Thank you all for looking.I am so very much enjoying doing this Topic for all you Modellers who have an interest in this sort of stuff!
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by SamSagace on 17 Mar 2014, 11:58

that's really excellent, Paul !!
you're the Master of the "How-to... " !
many thanks for this new one ...
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2014, 14:16

Hi guys,Mrs B has gone into the Big City today,and is going to bring back some Plant Tie thing`s which are longer then what l have been using.I like the fact they are all incased in the plastic like the little ones l have been using on this Topic. l must admit it was because my hands and fingers were so painful that l found stripping the plastic off the wire much more trouble to me then what it was worth.So l thought why not leave the stuff on,and so l did and l am very pleased with the results so far. lt was out of misfortune that l found myself having to make Tree`s again and so l will relate to you all what really happened to me concerning the making of Tree`s .In the past l made hundreds of tree`s all shapes and sizes for the Wooded area of Hougoumont. l used thin metal wire,and used Wire Wool to create the canopy of all my tree`s ,and sprayed water & pva glue onto to the wire wool and added my green stuff.The result was that all of them looked Great,but.Yes there seems always to be a but in my life,and this one was a big BUT! Nearly all my tree`s rusted! These tree`s just rusted away and fell to bits.However the first tree`s that l made were made of stainless steel wire wool ,and so did not rust,and these are the tree`s l use in my photo shoots.Since that time of 8 years ago l have been at odd times seeking to solve this problem. The stuff on these foamy cleaning things will not rust and will serve my purpose at this present time. 20 of these for 99p means a very cheap way to make perhaps 20 tree`s like this.Image Not bad for 10 p in English money.A few days ago l promised a friend on this Forum that l would look into the question on how to make Tree`s,and my word has always been my bond.Often is the case,it can seem funny when you look back at things that went wrong in your life. Later with the gentle passing of time,everything eventually falls into place and problems get solved............................BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Mar 2014, 14:20

Wow! l was wrong.It cost 5p in real money,because the wire for these cost me nothing! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by vellek on 17 Mar 2014, 16:09

Great tutorial, BB. For some reason I don't have the option to "like" this post.

Cheers,
Kurt
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Next page

Return to Tutorials