Tutorials

How To Make a Roof For a Model Building & Tile It

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2013, 22:24

This is a tutorial, on how I make my roof`s on my models. It is in picture form, And I`ve spent at least 4 hours today putting it together especially for you guys out there on Bennos Forum, to look see,and perhaps try, but I will only post Photos if I get a response. ImageImage These are some examples of models that I`ve made,and if you would like to know how it is done,just ask, or press the button!
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2013, 22:36

I think youeat cookies! Just like Paul for his Roman town :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2013, 23:00

Hi Peter,There are 27 large photos which I`ll place in total. I`m much to busy eating Wine Gums, to eat cookies!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2013, 23:10

Step 1, lets take it for granted that you`ve already built your model building but now need to place a good strong roof on it. The paper card is Mounting Card for picture`s. OK?ImageImage find the center,draw a line,this is the roof top. Next turn it over and draw lines across it,and they must be square.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by TinPusher65 on 14 Nov 2013, 23:58

Your Buildings and Roof Tiles are Superb! How about a tutorial also about your Buildings?
TinPusher65  United States of America
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 00:22

Well DD65. Making buildings for most modelers are easy, and this topic I feel is fit for pupose at this present time. The basic thing is,no matter what size a building is, realy it is just a box . However it could be possible to do one in the near future. Thanks for your interest and kind words, I`ll post the next stages now. B B
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 00:35

Turn the card over ,and cut along the center line,but only about half way through with light pressure applied, and simply bend the card to form this part of the roof.Don`t cut your fingers off !ImageImage Get this part right and you`ve got a good start,and you can plainly see what the lines across are for,next stage is marking out the Apex of the roof.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Nov 2013, 08:47

Very nice tutorial! And I agree with DD65. We want to see more of your work and how you do it!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by igor13 on 15 Nov 2013, 09:30

I am looking forward to see more of this :)
igor13  Serbia & Montenegro

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 11:37

what you should have is this,Image but not the mess upon the table like,me. Next the apex of the roof should be made the same as whatever model building you`ve already created. OK?Image Theres a little space here just to say, that there are many ways to make a roof on models,but this is just my simple way to help perhaps,first time modellers out there.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 16:35

ImageImageImage Measure out one Apex, then use it as a tenplate, holding it down a cutting aroun it.I need 8 for this.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 16:49

Cut all the triangles out and brush PVA glue one side and place them all on a sheet of card, wait a few minutes and place a book on top of them,by waiting a short while before placing the book onto them,stops them sliding on the paper below. Needless to say really,but I will,"They must be laid on a flat table!" When dry you just cut around each one in turn. By the system I developed by myself you save so much time by not having to mark all these sections out. I hope you guy`s can follow along in my English! (Sorry if I miss the odd letter out)
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 17:09

You will have noticed,that I`ve put a tick on one side,this is something I like to do so I can stick them all in the same way in this stage of construction.This is in case ,one edge is slightly different from the other, and it keeps things tidy!ImageImage Put plenty of PVA glue on the edges to be stuck ,each peice on at a time and just leave them to one side for a few minutes,then add more glue,and don`t skimp on this,and stick them and stick them to the side of each line so you can see what you are doing.

The extra glue slightly squeeze`s out and will form a nice bound of strengh around each section to be placed in this way when it dries. At the same time of fixing the first glue put on, bounds very quickly to the card,and you`ll save bags of time by not having to hold each section in place for to long. Don`t rush it and let the glue do the work for you.I must just add, I use waterproof PVA glue and it`s thicker and stronger then the cheap stuff!

With the cheap glue you are paying for about 40% of water, so I strongly advise you buy the best. Also don`t use contact glue it will make your model to bendy, and it`ll end up in the bin,and with all your work wasted.If you wish you can use PVA glue like contact glue simply by letting it dry off a little before fixing,But I like to use the glue as I`ve already described and in doing so get the very best of the two system`s.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 15 Nov 2013, 18:51

Can-t wait the rest xD
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 19:35

This is what you should end up with at this stage! ImageImageImage Next making the tiles.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by santifernandez on 15 Nov 2013, 20:20

Interesting post........I look whit attention.
santifernandez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 15 Nov 2013, 20:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3gUVvg2eQU
The waiting is killing me...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 20:53

Hi guys sorry to keep you waiting It seem`s the whole world is having trouble with Photobucket at this period in time,and with me being among them. Internet explorer keeps shutting down ,and my security blocks it too. I`ve been on the Net and boy is this a global problem.Watch out guys for the rouge scammers out there who promise to fix it,and do nothing at all ,but take your money,and perhaps empty your bank account too. They do this by down loading stuff on your PC that you can`t remove,so end up paying them to do so, B..............CROOK`S
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 21:47

I`d like just to take you back to this picture, because if you look you`ll see a pattern drawn out different from the rest of the triangle roof sections there,and I left it till now to explain this because hopefully by this point ,you will understand more fully how things go together. This Apex Roof Pattern which can be changed by the modeller,is for those who wish to have exposed beams which can be viewed by taking the whole roof off, or if fixed just by picking it up and looking at it.Or perhaps adding extra dimention to say a Great Medieval Barn from an open doorway where you can view these old type beams! The magic of the modern camera will pick this out in wonderful detail. Also if you wish you can scribe out paper quite well,or just peel of the top layer on the paper once these bits are cut out and stuck together,This will give a nice ruffness,and like the scribed ones when painted and dry- brushed will give what I would call a pleasing effect thats good for any size, or scale building. Of course these section do involve extra cutting out and each side must be cut out before sticking them together,and they must be painted and dry brushed before sticking them into the roof.I will tell you about this later. OK?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 21:59

Here`s the picture again.ImageImageImage This quite fun!
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials