Tutorials

How To Make a Roof For a Model Building & Tile It

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 22:46

The strips of card board are marked out quite special, but it is simple to understand. For this purpose I have only cut one section out,just to show you how to do it. The card board must be in good shape,and not damp or flattened! This is very important and you don`t want to bodge up and spoil all your hard work now. So it`s in good nick ( Condition! ) and this how you do it. We are not going to stick one little tile at a time but masses of em and all shinny black ones too. The card is marked out like this , 13 mm line from the edge and mark out. Now you need another line drawn 5 mm in from the edge, and you can clearly see it in the photo`s.Cut out the 13mm strip. The lengh you decide upon, but just to practice try a small strip like mine in the pictures.Now proceed to gently cut along the narrow line but not through the card completely, and now turn it over and strip off the flat section of the cardboard from this side. Put the Knife into the positions shown and gently leaver it off with the blade. This can clearly be seen in the picture`s above. Once you get started, you will soon get the hang of it,But Do Not Try To Pull The Entire Flat Section Off! If you do you`ll stretch the cardbord strip out of the shape and out of the scale you wish to have,and they will not match up when placing them on the roof.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2013, 22:57

Image You must remove the entire whole flat side first, because if you don`t it will place more strain on the other side where you have made cuts along the line . Beleave me it will soon make sense!Image first side nearly done.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Nov 2013, 13:54

this what you end up with on this side.ImageNow turn over to the other side which you should have marked out with another line,and cut into like already explained, if you have not go back and find out how. This is the most important side because it will guide each and every tile strip into perfect place when sticking, and without marking out the entire rooftop with uncertain lines. ImageJust slowly ease, and leaver the waste off like before. It`s quite easy to do. Glad if you are having fun at this stage. You are doing fine!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by SamSagace on 17 Nov 2013, 14:12

That's what I call "crazy work" !! :lol:
but very instructive !! I hope that I will have time in the future to do things like that....
well done ! :thumbup:

(I've had big troubles with Photobucket : "update Javascript", like an imbecile, I've clicked on the link, and my pc was infested ! spend many hours on the net and the computer to fix it, it works again but it seems that it's a little bit slower ... :angry3: )
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Nov 2013, 19:48

Hi SamSagace, I`ve been putting this on for the benifit for all those on the forum and elsewhere too, because I just wanted to show as many people as I can,how to save a TUN! of money by having a go at scratchbuilding themselves . I`ve never ever read a book or seen a video on making model`s of any kind, or intend to do so,but as a highly skilled Engineer who`s job it was to fix problems before they happened, I now apply that same logic in my retirement years to overcome problems to do with modelling,and so hope to help instruct others too,and for free! Glad you like this item. the last windup section is now going to go on. I must admit I nearly felt like pulling the plug on this item, but then realised many might just view it who are not members of the Forum, so I have carried on, and it is soon to be recorded and coppied and posted, which all tends to eat into ones day.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Nov 2013, 20:23

This is how the other side should look like,and so onwards.ImageImageAs you see I cut my strip in half,just to show you how my interlocking system of tiles work,quite simple really.ImagePlace one upon the other and turn it over, and this is how it works.Image as you see I`ve marked a first line upon the roof,which by now should indeed look like a roof!This is where the first strip of tiles is placed and stuck.this first strip will act like a guide to the next strip,and by this system no need to mark out again,but your line upon the roof must be in line and true. If not boy are you going to have problems!Image you just work your way up each side.ImageAt this point I`d like to explain how you make the Ridge-Tiles for the very top of the roof,don`t worry it too is quite simple to do.ImageHere I was lucky to have a larger size of cardboard which I cut a bit off like this.ImageAnd then this.Imagethis is how they go on top.Do not overlap them,stick them this WAY! Leaving a small gap between them,this you can add glue to and it will look like a mortor line. OK?
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Nov 2013, 20:27

Hi there there is still one last part that I`ll add later. OK?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2013, 01:25

Now that I have shown you how its done, I will tell you that all the tile trip`s and ridge tile`s,should be painted with black paint on both sides,and before sticking them on the roof.I use BLACK Gloss, or Black Silk paint, which is infact Semmi Matt paint,just called by another name. Yes this is a sticky black job, and paint it by hand and don`t skimp by not painting the other side.When dry, the cardboard should be as good as any plastic sheet ever made for modelling houses, or even better. Yes I know that I did not paint mine. If I had you would not have had a clear picture to look at all. OK?ImageImageThese are pictures of the extra cut out roof support which I did especially in order for to realise that paper card can be engraved by the use of a pen.Mark out the shape you wish to work in and then engrave before you cut it out. If you use a long pointed craft-knife, the biggest size is best you can stick one side down,and when dry cut the outside edge out,then engrave the other side, and then cut out the midle sections! OK?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2013, 02:48

I foregot to mention the Ridge Tiles have only one side pealed off,thus leaving a flat side which will give extra strength and these should not go out of shape at all,and when painting these make sure you do the inside too. When making the strips of tiles, do make more then you need,just incase some are not fit for porpose, like if your family pet chews up a few, OK?ImageImage When putting on the first tile strip, make sure you overhang the roof Like these building`s at Hougoumont. If you wish to have a lift off roof, it`s simple to do. It is the norm that roof-tops are set into a house with two end walls that are higher then it is.OK? Not to sure? Go and look at the roof on your house,or a along the street,or Google some to make it more clear.OK? So you`ve made your model house with the two end wall`s higher then roof level. Now get some very thin plast sheet,a lunch bag,or a doggy bag for picking up you know what,and just put it into the model each side and over hang it over the edges,of these end wall`s, and put the roof in place and start to tile your roof.When set it will lift off perfectly! Just to add don`t press the tiles down to hard when sticking them down,You can use the handel of the small brush just to ease them onto each other ,and a little gap under each strip of tiles at the front edge, will create a wonderful shadow and really put a wow factor to your SCRATCHBUILT ROOF! And its easy because you`ve painted it black! Next when all is set and dry, dry brush all over using a redish brown with a hint of orange in it. For the tile strips I use oil based paint, but for everything else I use Vinyl matt water based paints,in great big 2.5L tins,because it`s cheap and is fit for my pupose. The real brite colours, like red, orange , I buy the cans of paint samples, to help mix colours with. Thats it friends.......... Have Fun!......... AND GIVE IT A TRY!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 18 Nov 2013, 12:08

Can you do tutorila for the bricks? I will be good to have one as you did for the roof...
Emperor  

Posted by peterh on 18 Nov 2013, 16:51

wow, thanks for showing this
peterh  

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2013, 23:08

Hi guy`s so glad you all liked this item. On the question of" The bricks!" this is very easy to do,but takes a rather long time to achive a good result! I recently posted medieval buildings on this Forum, and explained that I use PVA glue to build up each stone in the wall`s,and there are also bricks within the walls too,which are built up in the same way.If you could give this a look it might help you to understand my way of working. Basicially what I created was more natural shadow on the walls,by raising them so. No, I did not paint the shadows, I let the daylight hitting the models wall`s like the real building`s outside do this. If there is enough interest then yes I could show how its done. OK? Thank you kindly. B B
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KenzoSato on 20 Nov 2013, 14:27

Fantastic great w.i.p.
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Nov 2013, 15:10

OK! guy`s, I`ve decided to show,how the brickwork is done.However what you choose to model, and if you use my system to do it all fine and good if thats what you wish to do,but it will be your effort and design,and indeed,your brickwork,in your own style of Scratch-Building!" To illistrate and make my point more clear to you,It`s simple,we all have to learn hopefully how to write,but each and every one of us have a unigue style of doing it. So if you are say working just on a wall say,and even if there is someone sitting by your side ,doing likewise the end results for each of you will be different. This means you are indeed creating a model wall,which you can not buy anywhere! It will be special, and it will be yours! Thank you kindly. B B
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 27 Nov 2013, 19:41

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Tutorials