General

Liberty or Death

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2018, 21:14

Open box reviews of both metal and plastic figures covering.....

The French and Indian Wars
The American War of Independence and beyond it.

I hope some might find it interesting enough to comment.

Pictures shown above were copied from eBay!

This is the start of a long overdue collection,but hopefully a modest one. Most certainly figures and regiments involved certainly caught hold of the coat tails that also caused the Revolution in France.
America such as it was and what it became, was most certainly the enemy of Great Britain, that had both a political and military axe to grind against it. Given to them by a very greedy,sick mad King.
The boxes shown here should provide good solid firing lines. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 29 Jul 2018, 23:13

What are your plans for these sets BB?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2018, 14:36

That is a good question Rich W,
and I thank you kindly for it. :thumbup:
The aim is to review what`s in the boxes at present and hopefully help others avoid costly mistakes.
The Warlord games Black Powder cavalry horses being a huge one on their Polish and Dutch Lancers,which should have had the pointed saddle cloth. items produced because repetition saves money at the same time as bringing more of it in. As Bonepartes Italian Lancers they might pass muster though. Well I looked into it. :-D

I`m not able to paint as I used to, :( but directing my attention elsewhere within the hobby is my way of helping and encouraging others who don`t have huge funds to splash out on toy soldiers.
If they see a truthful review based upon a fact,then others might think twice about buying that boxed up tight, cosy looking kit.
:mrgreen: " That`s power BB."_ :sst: " no,that is helpful."_ :cowboy: " Or picture painting with words?"

Rich W, i realise that your own hobby work covering this American period, is right up there in the traditional toy soldier style of painting. :thumbup: Which is very pleasing to my old eyes.
So by all means keep that up buddy!

Until next time i bid you all adieu. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2018, 14:47

Why this topic is being posted double is a puzzlement indeed. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Aug 2018, 19:30

In case some might wonder about why the title, it is taken from the Warlord Games description for this period. :mrgreen: " Ya! Half inched!"__ :sst: " pinched."

Two boxes of Perrys Figures join in the action for or against The King

Perrys superb Rifleman

The Sprues can be obtained loose £1.50 each.

Pretty darn cool figures.

Warlord Games Black Powder boxed figures take their place in line.

They all look good natural poses.

I do have a concern about the American Long Rifles,because they look rather thin. However this is speculation on my part,and when they arrive I will know for certain if they break off easily.

The Sprues for both sets are £5.00 each loose. Which is quite expensive but there are a dozen guys all in the Firing Line. I bought three of each and gained an extra six figures on both sets when compared with the price of the boxed sets of 30 figures. Another 72 figures in a firing line opposed to only having 60, sure helps beefs up batalions that is for sure.

Half theses were paid for by using my necter point vouchers earned by using my Pay Pal account on EBay. Magic! :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Rich W on 01 Aug 2018, 21:22

How easy are they to put together? I'm always put off by the sets that need to be put together (such as some of the Zvezda sets). I think I'm just a bit too lazy and careless...

Thanks for sharing the pics BB.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2018, 01:12

Well I certainly am very clumsy myself. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Aug 2018, 14:03

Here the box art is so misleading because it shows a much larger cannon.
Whereas concealed inside the box It appears to be a 3 pdr Gun by its size.
Smaller Guns were used throughout this conflict, but to put it bluntly if 6, 8 or12 Pounder Guns are required,this product is a No, No!

There are two repetitive sprues.
The gun barrels are in two parts.
Two Officers on horseback and two Molly`s per box.
:mrgreen: " I guess they are targeting the one box buyer?"
Perhaps so. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Aug 2018, 11:42

My Perrys arrived and yes I am very impressed with what`s in the box.

Instructions on the back of the box :thumbup: which to my feeble mind is kind of important.

The figures i have already posted earlier here, and although I photographed them while unboxing such a delight I cannot better them. So moving on up with a drumroll you can view them if you wish to.

Everything plastic made by the guys that produce castle fit enough for very odd sized kings. Well history proves that they were all related, and so fell out of the same greedy cousin mould...… :sst: "to oppress Liberty, was the downfall of two very fat kings during this period that is for sure. " :-D "Well said little Button."

Moving downward inside the box more information on uniformed units and flags.

Well that is it for the time being, i hope you`ll pop in to view again. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Rich W on 07 Aug 2018, 23:12

It's a shame all those ranges are so pricey because they look interesting. Makes me appreciate how affordable the regular 20mm kits are.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Aug 2018, 07:59

Very nice to see those! And the casualty reminds me of Airfix's old dead highlander.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Aug 2018, 01:01

A large box of figures for £18.00 - £20

A FULL PAINTING GUIDE FOLLOWS
:sst: " all worn by the invisible man."

Perrys sure do their homework or employ others to do it for them, and the would be painter, modeler and war gamer or someone like myself a collector benefits greatly. One is truly spoilt for choice with the inclusion of lots of colourful plates.

A Quartermasters nightmare!
With any army out in the field of military operations, cloths and footwear rot and darn quick too. How to re-supply cloths and footwear to the volunteer regiments now being formed ? A war with the worlds number one Naval Super Power, Great Britain was coming.

The captured stores of British uniforms certainly caused problems with re-dying them so eventually those redcoats became an assortment of mish-mash brown colours. Stores of Hessian uniforms were at least dark blue apart from the facing colours. The Royal Navys British Marine undress uniform was an off white which could be much easier to dye. There was a trickle of uniform supplies from the French who were now allied with their old enemy against the British. Interestingly the French cannon once used against the Americans were now being given to them, to pepper great holes in the British and their German Allies, and of course their own countryman who sided with the Crown and who fought valiantly for their rather ill frightened King, some 2000 miles away.

Plastic platforms for the use of.

Within the box the wrong rifleman were included, these things happen perhaps they could be used perhaps for Andy Jackson`s war. Or other Napoleonics.
Well I kind of like them.

Those above are the correct ones,and there could be hundreds if not thousands of boxes with the wrong ones in. :drool: Opps! Down to the Packing Department!

Perrys, sell the sprues loose so I had no problem obtaining lots of these extra rifleman wearing buckskin jackets . It worked out at 75 Pence a figure.
:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2018, 01:33

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vssAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

I`m having trouble posting pictures at present,but the Link above will serve for now, if you`d like to pop along to see the latest edition to this collection just click on it. :mrgreen: " Ya, be a good Sport."

I seized the opportunity to purchase a few metal woodland Indians on EBay.
:sst: " i am not worried i ain`t got no hair to lose." Mentioned the little bright button, that never spells in capitals.____ :cowboy: " Well I am Pards", replied the cowboy who always sleeps in his boots,and who has now determind to keep good and tight his Roy Rogers hat upon his now nervous noggin of a Texas head.__ :coffee: "After T, 2 bed." __ :sst: " zzzzz sound sleep where is your pillow? " BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 13 Aug 2018, 08:34

Thanks Paul, for the big review. I have all teh Perry sets myself, but I am always caught by the dashing boxart of Warlord Games. It is good to read they are not the peak of your collection. The Woodland Indians are also pretty cool. Do you know the producer?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2018, 14:19

OK,I`m up and running, and able to paste and post again. I had to change my password on EDGE!
One of those madcap irritating things.

Sorry I forgot to mention the metal figures above that I bought loose.
They are from Warlord Games
Black Powder
French and Indian War 1754-1763
Woodland Indian War Party.

Buying loose figures above meant I get the ones I like,and therefore can buy more for my money. Rather than a fixed numbered Set ,with half a box full of poses I do not. To each his own I always say.

:winky: " BB`s is kinda canny like that."____ :cowboy: " I best oil up my six-gun for action, with all those guys due to arrive."______ :sst: " I can see smoke signals on the mountains."___ :read: " BB, will have to pen a story line or two that`s for sure." Remarked the well read Book-Worm. __ :coffee: " I`m thinking of quite a few." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 13 Aug 2018, 15:34

Although I'm not a fan of metal figures, those Woodland Indians are great. Fine details, and each figure is unique (there is no repeating pose). It was challenge but also fun to paint muscles, warpaints and all other details. Pity I didn't made any pictures :oops:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2018, 19:59

:-D Most certainly the camera is a nifty tool to use in all aspects of this great stupendous hobby.
:mrgreen: " Without it there would be no free Forum for guys to come out for play." Very true. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Jan 2019, 16:04

Thanks for sharing Paul! :thumbup:

The most usefull thing here for me are the painting guides. That's usefull for my 20 and 54 mm range of these period. ;-)

https://peterscave.blogspot.com/search/ ... dependence
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to General