General

28mm Napoleonic Cavalry and Infantry

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 May 2018, 03:19

The backdrop is my old wall in its early stage it keeps the cameras eye from wondering off. These are the two figure poses on the loose sprues I bought cheap.

.... four of my 95th Rifles from Perry miniatures. Zip! ---- Zip! That`s not the sound of Gnat`s guys they are taking fire. Zip ------ Zing!! it`s bouncing of my wall. Darn cheek!

Perry Miniatures French Dragoons.

With perseverance I managed to stick up three poses. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 May 2018, 13:52

From The Land of The Midday Sun: Sweden! A Gift from Gunnar!
It sure arrived quick! As if by " TIME MACHINE!" Thank You.
Napoleonic Prussians and a few French Gunners. All quite shiny !
An unexpected surprise. Get casting up Gunnar. now everyone will want some.

Here they are upon a sunny window sill.

" Move entlang Burschen."

The French Imperial Guard Dutch Lancers dropped down from the display cabinet. Yes the Prussains had turned the flank of the whole French Army..... and them not even having a spot of colour added to them.

:sst: " o my! things tend to happen when that caninet is opened." said the little button who never spells in capitals. :coffee: " It`s a kind of magic. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 May 2018, 13:53

Of course it was,cabinets the little button said. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 May 2018, 14:40

It seemed a normal day for me on my key board typing a few pages of a storybook tale. Mrs B was out walking Bella our dog and getting her steps in. The sky was overcast outside and stormy weather was forecast over East Anglia. Well during the night it had pelted down so thunderous that I imagined our gold fish from the pond swimming quite unconcerned past our window at the halfway point.
It was soon after breakfast and my first burp of the day, that I had the thought to look up a few pages in my books that would help determine the way certain figure conversions would be undertaken. Having lots of French infantry I would turn them all traitors to a man by painting them up as Nassau light infantry. At Waterloo they fought at Hougoumont , ( Goumont ! ) along side the Cold Steam Guards Lt Companies,and also at La Haye Sainte,yes Wellington certainly ran these guys around the battlefield ragged and muddy that`s for certain.

The uniform had not changed but they did wear overall trousers over their bottom half which was white. This with the white cover on the shako made them a good aiming point for the French Gunners.

Shown above with greyish covers on their shako`s which seems reasonable.
However upon that day , Wellington himself referred to them as having white and sent orders to Hougoumont that they be remove. Did they remove them ? I doubt they did because late into the afternoon at La Haye Sainte they still had them on. These German troops were armed with muskets,whereas the Kings German Legion defending that farm complex of buildings were armed with Baker Rifles. Trundling down through mud and dodging the French, the resupply wagon to La Haye Sainte resulted in part to its fall. Upon arrival, there must have been quite a few cuss words muttered that`s for sure, it was full of musket powder and shot,and therefore useless for Baker Rifles.

Sure with lead shot and black powder some form of grenade could be fashioned, but there was no time left for that, because the French had burst in through the gates.

Allied cavalry : Belgian Carabiniers are possible too, by converting the French Dragoons.

Fetching out my books is something I have not employed myself in for quite some time however I thumbed through a few pages which used up the entire morning. It was nearing noon when the Mailman arrived and gave Mrs B,a package from overseas. O Boy New Arrivals.

Thanks again Gunnar. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 28 May 2018, 13:11

You are most welcome, Paul. Everybody wants some? Ah, yes! Shel Silverstein!

:oops: :mrgreen:

I am very fortunate that I don't have the time to cast more of these! There is a guy that's made the whole battle of Waterloo with Prince August-figures! :shock: That's impressive!!! The moulds I have are French artillery + cannon and Prussian infantry + Command. Would've been nice to have some cavalry, but, as I said, I have no time for casting. And here is the interesting video! :-D

Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 May 2018, 22:05

I watched the video but felt a voice over narration would have been much better employed , and then the camera would have been able to pan every detail.Yes everything upon the diorama. It was good to see the guy concerned ,but as it was badly directed one actually saw very little of what this intelligent German guy had made and was able to put together. Or is it that I am missing something?
:coffee: Perhaps Mr C the Director would have made a much better presentation of it? BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 May 2018, 17:50

It is getting very rare to find a lower priced box these days due to Ebay Sharks making a killing on postage charges. Some boxes are over £30.00. However to he who waits a chance often comes. So I took fresh opportunity when it presented itself and bought another box of the Highlander Flank Company priced at £22.75 postage free. So adding another 60 to the rolls of Waterloo,that gives me 120 aggressive Scots to charge alongside the British Heavy Cavalry Brigade smashing their way into the French Columns.

Sure its only in written form as yet,but descriptive writing is the style to grab the imagination of others well before any painting begins.

BRITAINS TOY FIGURES with the correct pose.

The Scots Greys Dragoons were given the full credit for that action,by Wellington and Historians past and present. However after looking into it, under Lord Uxbridge`s orders all the Heavy Cavalry held in reserve were committed. Plus General Pictons infantry The Scots Bastards as they were often rudely referred too,were also there in the thick of it. Others too were caught up into it too.

The French 12 and 8 pounders had been firing for over two and a half hours pasting the heck out of General W.F. Count Van Bijlandt`s Brigade from the 2nd Netherlands Infantry Division. These were positioned on the forward sloop in full view of the French Gunners . This unlucky mixed bag of raw green troops and militia were being cut to pieces by iron chain, Horse shoe nails, canister with musket ball and the solid 8 and 12 pounder shot. They had been in action at Quatre Bras the day before and had acted bravely well and were commended for it, but they were still green troops. On the far side sloop most British and Allied troops were ordered to lay down. I cannot comprehend why these brave lads one and all were ordered to stand their ground,and by who? But stand they did.

Later when they were ordered to fall back to the far sloop, it was seen as a retreat by Ney who ordered the massed cavalry attack and further attacks throughout that bloody afternoon.

Around 1.30 pm
d` Erion`s 1 Corps was ordered to begin the main assault against Wellingtons Line.

A constant sea of blue and white filtered its way through the now silent French Grand Battery of 84 Guns and hundreds of supply limbers. They the French reformed and advanced in four massed columns consisting of 200 men in the front line and stacked up behind these another 24 or 27 well packed rows followed.

( I hope I get the all names right? )

With Marshal Ney and d`Erion`s in front

Joachim Quiots 1st Infantry Division lead the attack.

Then followed in succession came General Francois-Xavier Donzetot`s
2nd Infantry Division.

Then General Pierre-Louis Marcognots 3rd Infantry Division.

Finely followed by General Joseph-Francois Durutte`s 4th Infantry Division.

Both flanks were protected by hundreds of French Cuirassiers and French Line Lancers.

There was mud that sucked off boots and shoes and clogs alike as they advanced. It built up claylike in formation upon the soles of boots with every step made,making them darn heavy, and nowhere was there to scrap the build up off.

The men of the 95th Rifles were picking these guys off while they reformed and advanced in solid line of gun site. A fairground shooting gallery comes to mind, knock one down and another steps forward. As the columns came on the Riflemen fell back to the sandpit up the forward sloop. Two British Guns placed upon the road just past La Haye sainte, boomed out their own flaming shot into the French now attacking that farm below them. Finally they fired their last shot and took a wheel off both Guns sending them rolling down the road cram -packed with French troops. The orders were given Take a wheel off the Guns rather than spiking them. Only Captain Mercer would disobey that order of the day.

Leaving the drifting smog of that place.
I hope to see you again next time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jun 2018, 01:26

Great looking faces.

The bonnet back view.

Yes they are from the huge box set above.

The two sides are shown.

Each side is shown.

Lots of close ups.

Kilts a plenty in this brilliant battalion.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 06 Jun 2018, 08:56

I've heard that Victrix plastic is very brittle. Thin parts snap very easily. Is that true, Paul?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jun 2018, 14:30

Yes it is rather brittle whereas Perrys plastic has more flexibility to it.
Rough handling would or could break the thin parts.

Bayonets and swords could be broken easily so I will have to counter this by coating them in waterproof p v a glue to stop vibration as in PING!
I will get back to providing more information on this later after I have cut some free of their sprues. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2018, 20:07

A very hot day today,and so settling down in the shade of the garden I set to,with speedy greedy fingers and bought lots of boxes and kits on eBay. Yes after going through quite a stressful time lately,i spoilt myself rotten because I feel I kinda earned a treat.
So I visited lots of sellers and whittled them down to just two,where i knew i would get real value for my money,along with lots of needful stash!

I bought the Perrys box above because it gives one the chance to make up lots of cavalry regiments and not just for the Nap Wars. There are 14 horses in a box,but 28 riders. So it is simple, and you can paint them all up and swop riders if and when its needed. So this is one the Perry Brothers Great Sets. https://www.perry-miniatures.com/produc ... ts_id=3297 Spare Horses can be bought to mount up a few squdrons. Well as many as one wishes. The list of regiments seem endless and do in fact reach back to the French and Indian Wars & the American War of Independence. £17.50 will enable enough horses to be bought to mount them all in the box. So it equates to having bought two full complete boxes.

Building up the French.

A box of the metal figures of the Rifles. I also bought a few others loose in the firing pose. These can also be used to portry The Kings German Legion.
Well that`s it for now on this topic. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jul 2018, 14:36

I`m having trouble getting good shots of these Riflemen.
:eh: " Eh?"

This new camera is a bit of a puzzlement to my head.
I`ll get back to this later after I find a lump hammer to fix the problem. BB

:sst: " bb,s not a happy bunny today."

A little later after setting up book and paper.
:eh: " Eh?"

:mrgreen: " Mr Wingknut ain`t to bright!"
:sst: " yes bb`s photo shoot idea! posted here in the olden days."

:cowboy: "So what`s in the box?" :coffee: "Yes, yes, yes now we`ll see."

All nicely packed!

:read: "So with two pieces of paper and a book,this is how they turned out."

There are no backpacks to slow these fighting men down.

The castings need a trim,but I decided to show them as they are upon first removal from the box.

I had to blu tac the figures down.
:mrgreen: " Just arrived and to a man,they were blind drunk and falling over."

:coffee: I love the little mutt! Perhaps it`s a Pointer? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by DickerThomas on 02 Aug 2018, 11:50

Hello BB, :thumbup:

very, very intresting.. :drool: :drool: :drool:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Aug 2018, 01:24

Interesting :drool: :drool: :drool: is cool, thanks DickerThomas. :thumbup:

Irishman James Plunkett, of the 95th Rifles in the winter of 1808 in Spain. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Aug 2018, 04:35

I have never seen a sharp-shooter aiming in that way.

Goes to show what I know!

Sheltered upbringing, had I.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Aug 2018, 10:01

http://95th-rifles.co.uk/research/

In the Link provided lots of interesting information on the 95th Rifles.There is a List there of topics. One being Thomas Plunkett: A Pattern for the Battalion.
He took the shot that killed General Aguste-Marie- Francois Colbert, a favourite of Napoleon. Plunkett a crack shot, shot quite a few others too on that day. Lots of French lead was flying about, so he avoided it by laying on his back with his feet steadying the rifle then took the shot. General Pagent,( later Lord Uxbridge), rewarded him on the the day by throwing down into the snow a purse of coins. It would never do to personally hand a Ranker, A lower class of soldier, the purse. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Aug 2018, 23:19

BRITAINS TOY FIGURE ABOVE IS A MUCH BETTER EXAMPLE TO SHOW

Over the past few weeks I have managed to beef up my 95th Rifles by buying loose metal figures in advancing, standing firing,and kneeling firing poses.

The 95th Rifles

La Haye Sainte

2nd Battalion Flanqueurs KGL

KINGS GERMAN LEGION

These were all armed with the Baker Rifle.

Here are the French I bought. Now there are 4 poses and of late I`ve seen examples of them all mixed up in rank and file, which would never suit ,little o`ll me.

Four lines of uniformity I feel would work much better and make them pop! I managed to buy lots of the loose sprues too,to make up one large French battalion. Bought on E Bay. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Aug 2018, 07:40

Playing the E Bay Game. I placed three large orders.

I bought two boxes to obtain the metal command figures in these boxes,and I saved £8.00 on this deal because not only were they reduced in price on the day,but they were free-post.
I always trace and find out the recommended retail price, in this way you can identify the sharks that bump up their price by double the amount they paid, and who declare free post on E Bay !

I bought two separate orders for the sprues already shown here that are the same as in the boxed sets. Each sprue having a £1.00 postage added to them. I asked both Sellers for a new invoice for combined postage and received a reduction of £9.00 on each order. So this is how I play the numbers. A cool reduction of £ 26.00 means I almost got my two boxed sets for free. Only on large orders does this game play,playout for the good.
Those clubs or factions into playing war-games can pool together their money,order from E Bay and make huge savings,then share the stuff out.

The sprues are priced at £4.00 each at War Lord Games, I bought mine at £2.50 each on E Bay,and bought both entire stocks they had. These figures relate closely to the price of the same figures in the box. So why did I not just buy extra boxes?
:sst: " a good question to ask", mentioned the Little Button.
The reason is if I can match up the price of the 24 figures in the boxes by buying the sprues I gain 4 figures of uniformity within each set of twenty four figures. After all in my order I hardly needed 12 command sets of metal figures, which would amount to 48 figures. So looking at the why of it all,i have gained 40 marching figures of uniformity which in the attack on say La Haye Sainte would be a huge block of plastic poses to have advancing on the battle area. :mrgreen: " That`s being canny BB "

This total 12 X 24 ? This parade type pose will break up the other French columns wearing long coats.

( i in spite of being very disabled and crippled up at this time, am simply showing the path way. )

War Lord Games,lost my complete order because they demanded my telephone number, a something I prefer to keep private. They already had my name, home Address and e-mail address,within this registration form, and I could see no point in them wanting my telephone number too. So I cancelled deleted the form in question,and took my Pay Pal Account elsewhere. :coffee: " A big,Big Mistake War Lord Games!" :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 20 Aug 2018, 09:18

^ BB, just make a phone number up. They will never call you.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Aug 2018, 14:13

A Comparison:
The Perry Rifleman compare favourable with The Black Powder metal ones. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to General