General

washing up polystyrene

Posted by davbenbak on 22 Mar 2017, 15:08

I've just ordered some Bolt Action figures. My question is do I need to wash them up with detergent to remove the mold release chemical like I do for my plastic 1/72 figures? The last time I painted polystyrene figures was back in my teenage modeling days when I used enamel paints and had no problems. Now I've switched to acrylics and wonder if the paint will stick OK without washing. I do plan on priming them before painting.
davbenbak  United States of America

Posted by Fire at Will on 23 Mar 2017, 08:25

There is mould release agent on polystyrene, so you do need to wash them first if you are using acrylics. The solvent in enamels used to dissolve the agent so it didn't have any effect. An alternative solution I use is a matt enamel undercoat. Normally I put the sprues in the dishwasher on an eco setting (low temperature)
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by KGV on 23 Mar 2017, 18:52

Over the years I have managed to never wash any of the hard plastic figures I have, and that includes the Warlord stuff. Maybe I am just lazy, but as long as it has an undercoat on it (I use Halfords black, white or grey primer) I have never had a problem with paint going on.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Mar 2017, 19:04

I soak plastic figs in water with detergent and a bit of bleach for several days after trimming off the mould marks. Then air dry, then spray prime. It works well.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by David O'Brien on 23 Mar 2017, 20:56

Airfix before they made figures made washing up bowls ( cave folk used these before dishwashers) using the same materials and injection moulding machinery. The Guards Colour Party red, ivory and pink were favourite colours for bowls 50/60 years ago. Ironic?
The release agent which is often silicone based will come off in hot (not boiling) water with a little detergent ie washing up liquid though some manufacturers do this anyway. Some suggest using white spirit, thinners etc which will often dissolve the silicone based agent off. If you are doing a large batch do a test on some cut up waste sprues. It is possible to get silicone free release agents which do not leave the oily surface residue and are a boon to toy and ready made model manufacturers (eg action figures) as washing and drying takes up valuable time and labour etc if they are going to be painted. I have not done tests but it is possible that the
Bolt Action figures might not need any prep at all.
David O'Brien  

Posted by Kekso on 24 Mar 2017, 09:51

Funny thing is that I wash all of my 1/72 figures with soap and warm water before priming. And I don't wash my 28mm before priming. Don't ask me why, I don't know :oops: . And I never had a paint peeling problem with 28mm and I had problems with some 1/72 :eh:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by KGV on 24 Mar 2017, 17:44

David O'Brien wrote:Airfix before they made figures made washing up bowls ( cave folk used these before dishwashers) using the same materials and injection moulding machinery. The Guards Colour Party red, ivory and pink were favourite colours for bowls 50/60 years ago. .

What's a dishwasher?
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 24 Mar 2017, 21:41

KGV wrote:

What's a dishwasher?

If you don't know that word you have to look in the mirror! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by KGV on 24 Mar 2017, 22:38

In that case, I've had one for nearly 60 years. :-D
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 24 Mar 2017, 22:43

KGV wrote:In that case, I've had one for nearly 60 years. :-D

I had one like you, but I replaced it for a younger one some years ago! One of my sons! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by davbenbak on 25 Mar 2017, 16:28

I went ahead and cleaned them up with dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water, then primed with spray white gesso.
davbenbak  United States of America

Return to General