General

It Never Rains But Pours

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2016, 09:13

That`s an old English saying: a description of times when the worst often seems to happen,and keep happening. Compared with those in the UK flooded out for weeks on end recently my gripe fades away like an early morning mist does.
The other day i was informed by the Relief Royal Mail Delivery Man,who it seems to me would get lost upon a straight road.That he had just put my package containing a very rare collection of toy figures,through someone else`s Letter Box. Realizing his mistake and because it was Tracked Mail,he put a short note asking whome ever lives there to deliver it either to me or return it to The Royal Mail. Then this guy came and told me what he had done. OK,we all make mistakes,but sometimes the after effects can cause far reaching complications. OK,one might think or say that i will get my package when the guy on the next street see`s it laying there on his door mat when he returns home from work. Which is a reasonable way of looking at it. However Mrs B,went to the house several times over the past few days,as its only about 20 houses away from us. Neighbors finally confirmed that the guy works away from home for long periods at a time,and has just left in the new year to work in Dubai Arab Emerites. Because of this Mail Mans mistake i am left between a rock and a hard place. It could be a year or eighteen months before this guy returns to the UK. Of all the letterboxes on the estate my mail got shoved into that one. Yes it never rains but pours. This has cost me a Wod of Cash! i`ve just reordered some of the stuff,but most is so rare it is unobtainable. I can seek a refund through ebay and Pay Pal from the Seller who i have dealt with for years,so they take the Heavy Hit,and not i,but i will not, because that would be quite unfair. Or i can go after that Fat Cat ,The Royal Mail,because my mail was well insured. Herein though lay a legal matter ,the mail was tracked and reported on as to where it is. Do i demand the insurance payout? Which then means it is the property of the Insurance company concerned .Or do i wait for this guys return to the UK in the hope i get my package? Boy O Boy,this does my head in knowing where the Stash is,and poor little O`ll me not able to get me Mitts upon it. In the end one must see the funny side of anything. I must put that Mail Man Character in one of my tall tales,but i feel none would believe in a fellow of such utter stupidity :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 14 Jan 2016, 10:09

Hi Paul, that is really tough luck :( But I think seller is not to blame. Only one who's to blame is postal company. You know the best does it worth to "fight" them. I would say you have nothing to lose so go for it. Don't wait for that guy to return.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by DickerThomas on 14 Jan 2016, 10:36

Hello BB,

that is what you can call "bad luck" .. i think it would be the best for you to get your money back from the insurance ...

and maybe in a year you may get an unexpected "birthday-present" ... :oops:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by KGV on 14 Jan 2016, 12:00

If it was tracked and the guy isn't there, who signed for it?
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 14 Jan 2016, 12:05

ohi ohi, that hurts BB. I am sure the guy will be back for holidays shortly. It is so hot down there, that UK pouring British rain will be soon a mirage to him. Maybe it is just hot Togo nurturing my optimism.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Alex on 14 Jan 2016, 12:40

Oh... It is very annoying ... Mail service does not make us happy .. :drool:
Alex  Russia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2016, 15:07

KGV, the Mail was Tracked from Paris France,but Tracked Mail does not need signing for. Royal Mail will of course confirm this to be the case.
Dicker Thomas,it pays to be honest in these cases. I would inform the Insurance Company,and they would probably say dispose of it as you see fitting. Then it would be my property. I trade world wide and know just how the mailing system and these insurance matters work. :-D
I will relate a true story how Mrs B,lucked into a brand new Lap Top P C for nothing. I bought it for her last year from AMAZON UK. It arrived in good time and Mrs B,was well pleased with it. A few days later i received an E- Mail from Amazon,which stated that the Charger with the Lap Top has been found to be faulty and could cause electric shock if used. However they made no mention of a refund. So i sent them a nice sensible E- Mail and simple asked them,"Are you informing me that the item i bought from AMAZON,could KILL?" I then asked for them to send me a Return Sticker so i could send it back,and demanded a full refund. A few minutes later i received an E-Mail from them which simple stated,Dispose of Item as you deem fitting." and they refunded all my money. The Charger went into the bin,and Mrs B,uses another Charger on her brand new up to date £600 Lap Top. Magic! :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by vellek on 14 Jan 2016, 22:44

BB is there a company that manages the residences on your estate, that you can contact and explain your situation? If so, maybe there is a superintendent who has keys to the flat where your package lies and it can be retrieved.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Graeme on 15 Jan 2016, 13:10

BB.

Just a couple of thoughts. If this guy works away for long periods it's likely that the local post office has a forwarding address for his mail. There's no way they're going to give you that information but they have it and they made the mistake so perhaps they could contact him. Of course this means someone might have to do five minutes extra work which may be a problem.

If the post office won't help try yourself. Since you know where the house is write to the householder at that address and put it in a post box, get his name from a neighbour if possible. The post office should forward it to where he is and you might at least get an assurance that he will return your package when he returns. Actually even if the post office do agree to contact him write yourself anyway, don't just rely on the post office.

Regarding the insurance, you said some items were very rare and might be impossible to find again. If you really want these items you might not want to surrender ownership to the insurance company. Before you decide at least find out if, in the event that the goods are recovered, they will offer to return them to you if you refund the payout.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jan 2016, 11:59

After so much heavy rain pour eventually a rainbow appeared over Fiddle Wood. The guy has a sister who thankfully lives nearby who has key`s to his house,and she contacted him because i insisted that she did so, and he granted permission for Mrs B to be let into the property to get the package. Mrs B,gave it to me 5 minutes ago,and now i have my figures. Relief! The loss of money was not important at all,but stuff for my growing toy collection is.

A few days ago I had talked to the Mail Man,and reassured him that i would not report the matter to The Royal Mail,because he was worried about keeping his job,and has a Wife and young family to provide for. Food on a family`s table far outweighs the importance of any toy figure no matter what the cost,and i could afford to accept the loss. I have known hardship in my own life story and would have no wish to impose such a thing onto anyone.I also decided not to claim a full refund through E Bay & Pay Pal because the Seller was not at fault,and it would have been quite unjust,but perfectly legal to have done so.I live my life by Christian Principles and so have a constant Jiminy Cricket upon my shoulder,and i trade world wide with valued Sellers,the one in Paris France having provided me with a good reliable service for years. There are times when Legal Rights are in fact wrong and i see it clearly unjust to bend laws in order not to lose money. It would leave a bitter taste in my mouth. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 16 Jan 2016, 12:33

Beano Boy wrote: A few days ago I had talked to the Mail Man,and reassured him that i would not report the matter to The Royal Mail,because he was worried about keeping his job

I think from now on you will only receive some parcels that aren't yours :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding, you're a good person Paul and people do make mistakes. I'm glad you got your figures after all.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to General