General

My latest purchase

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Oct 2014, 07:55

New purchases: A new open ended topic in this larger scale. So feel free to add to it any time. It is good to shop around .Even if it is only one box,or one sprue,or even one figure. I hope you like the box art,because I do. This is much better than just quoting box set letters and numbers down and visitors who are not familiar with these boxed model sets can see plainly what items are on display.I hope most would agree.

All 23 boxes are all 28mm figure sets.

Well above is my latest purchase list,and as I stayed up all night doing stuff on the PC I took advantage of the quite time while the house slept and just went Shopping! ( A ruff night being rather unwell ) All these were on my new scale shopping list,but don`t let on to Mrs B. Just kidding. Most will be painted later next year some time,others will stay in their boxes. I seem to be more of a collector these bright coloured days. Thanks for looking.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 02 Oct 2014, 11:58

Wow, great purchase Paul :shock:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 02 Oct 2014, 17:03

Kekso wrote:Wow, great purchase Paul :shock:

Yes it is! Now he has a lot of work assembling and painting all this stuff! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 02 Oct 2014, 20:12

Peter wrote:Yes it is! Now he has a lot of work assembling and painting all this stuff! :-D

He must have enough for the next 217 years I guess :affraid:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Oct 2014, 12:03

Hi guys,the simple fact is, a FiddleWood Gnomes average life span is at least 856 years with very good behaviour, but i being far from good at 65, I guess another one or two years,before I lay my Dippy Pen,Craft- knife ,Ruler and Paint Brush aside. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 04 Oct 2014, 09:00

That's not very optimistic thinking Paul. Considering your energy I can see here I think many many more years of painting are in front of you
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 04 Oct 2014, 12:25

Kekso wrote:That's not very optimistic thinking Paul. Considering your energy I can see here I think many many more years of painting are in front of you

With a clearly defined schedule and ever fastening painting (the hundred...th, sorry - figure will take less time than the first, I say this from experience), it would take...maybe two years, if you don't paint anything else. At least for me. Maybe more, maybe less for you :)
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Oct 2014, 16:51

First of all I only buy when I can get a good deal ,I saved over £80 on this lot.That equates to 4 boxes for free.

As far as the painting is concerned,mostly ,I paint 150 figures at a time or three boxes if you like in one or two weeks depending of course on the figures.I don`t speed paint ,and numbers never daunt me in the least.I painted straight for 10 years and never missed a day,because I love it.I take it one colour stage at a time and just enjoy doing it.Usually enamal paints three coats on each figure.

I`m halfway through my scratch building programm , ( Roman Fort ) and one more tiny wooden fort to make for my grand son and then the Asterix Gaul Village to make,everything is going to go A OK as far as I can predict. Three or four months scratch building work.
I intend to paint a few Asterix figures soon,but not all of them I have no intention in having a race with Dads Army he is way out in front,and is quite the Road Runner.

"I`ll simmer a new batch of this for you BB,and you`ll paint the lot after a couple of jugs of this home brew potion."
"With kind respect, No thanks ,Dads Army might take the risk and have some though. Go on laugh!"

I will be Painting Napoleonics sometime next year.I still have finishing touches to do on quite a few hundred Scots guards for waterloo first,and work on the French Guns.

Using Warpaints waterbased colours and ink for first time

The 28mm stuff ( Needs Sticking Help! ) I intend to undercoat them and then add main colours and brush on the Army Painter Quickshade,or dip them,and then see the result.In my opinion using matt varnish to dull it down has added extra cost to this type of modelling and this could have been avoided by the makers. However Extra profit for them. Some might even like e`m shinny. Even I might.

The thing is guys like I said I am a collector more than a painter. So in my own sweet time the brushes will come out ,Sable ones this time bought in the paint pack. I usually buy fine point paint brushes cheap and by the dozen,and cut them down to the sizes that I need with my craft knife. Sometimes a magic brush can paint hundreds before the last of it falls out, and then I use the stick for other uses.Sometimes I miss that old faithful brush.

Why the eyes? I`ll ask Fred & MayBell,and let you know. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by santifernandez on 04 Oct 2014, 19:24

a new purchase ....
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Oct 2014, 09:38

To make a point on how long it takes to paint? I posted smaller 1/72 scale figures as an example,and after I had placed them I realised this was a big,no small mistake on my part so, Sorry.

Now then what`s next? Yes of course! Thank you Santi and MABO for posting your larger scale items here. That is some supper cool stuff ,as my little Grandson would say. I know myself that this is a very good start,and both lots are," Very Nice Items indeed. " BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 05 Oct 2014, 12:36

I did not noticed that this tread is in the 25-28mm section. Maybe we all should return to the general topic "latest purchase" that is here:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1188&start=760

I do not know if a moderator can move this??
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Oct 2014, 12:04

MABO ,I would agree with you,but that topic which ModernKiwi placed there in the first place was for 20mm - 1/72 scale . I pondered upon the same lines of reason, long and hard while asking myself could I place larger scale figures there? In the end I decided not to.
Your question, and comment is a reasonable one and is much appreciated . If the moderators agree I would have no objections to your post being removed and placed there,or this entire topic being placed there. However in my opinion the floodgates would then be open for much larger scales to be placed there too on a 20mm-1/72 scale topic.

Most Sincerely written in the spirit of fellowship.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 07 Oct 2014, 12:11

Hi guys. Yes, Mabo's question was reasonable. The idea is that every new purchase is posted in its own scale subforum. I that way I think there will be more order and things could be found more easily. I hope you're ok with that. Cheers :beer:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Oct 2014, 22:27

Why the pictures of the eyes?

I,and others examined the Quickshade dip stuff ,( We just wanted to know what was in the stuff I`d paid £19.00 for),and analysis confirms three types of low boiling point petroleum
( White Spirit! ) and Cobalt II pigment mixed with Heavy Fats,which is used to make storage batteries and in the manufacturing of Mascara eye make up and ink. I must admit some of the results of peoples work using this stuff has looked very good so I bought some just this once for all my 28mm figures.For those who like doing the eyes on tinny figures, that Mascara eye make up certainly does a good job. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 May 2015, 12:58

The first buy for the 28mm Continental Army

Three massive metal 24 pounders ,and I will receive another free Set. What with casting up my own gabions and saving well over £40.00 in the process,I thought I`d treat myself to some of the Cannon that cost £36.00. So by my reckoning that hard working project of making both mould and casting up has paid off big time already,and that free set by one of the Perry brothers is like a well deserved pat on the back,Bonus! To little old Me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Jun 2015, 18:50

Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Aug 2015, 17:38

Warhammer Bretonnian Archers Plastic Figures

I`m not into war gaming,but scouting around I just bought 18 each of these 28 mm figures for a grand total of £6.00 on E Bay.
Good Luck is Shinning Upon Me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Aug 2015, 19:12

These are cool BB.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2015, 18:50

Thanks Jan,glad you like them.
All the Archers arrived today, and a few more I picked up in used condition marched in too.

Placed a few with my metal Archers, and they`ll be lost in the crowd so to speak, so no problem with size. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Nov 2015, 02:44

Those listed are the new scale 15mm models that I just purchased.At £2.69 a box from Zvezda these are 1/100 and are 15mm scale. Lots of trucks,tanks,armoured cars,and halftracks. I decided on a large list, a budget,and spent wisely by Bulk Buying. Saved a fortune on not having to pay postage,by buying in dribs and drabs. ( Small Purchases! ) Most was bought in three`s,and the Plastic Soldier Company stuff just one box ,because you get lots of stuff in those boxed kits.

GERMAN

BRITISH

Some will stay in their boxes ,others will be used with my larger scale models as backdrop pieces. In the desert you can see for miles,so the Panorammic View is planned. No rush one model a month assembled and painted. I should be finish by the year 2049. :read: "BB,You will be 100 years wiser then,"______"That`s a fact,BW" :-D The larger scale stuff i needed has also been bought.

Righty O,i`m off to read this. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to General