Work in Progress

A Call to Arms: British Foot Artillery 1815

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Feb 2015, 22:40

The last finishing touches applied in my state of the art Spraying Booth.

I was priming the smaller 1/72 scale, A Call to Arms British Artillery 1815,and also some other stuff today,and thought I`d do some of these larger size figures too. So I pinched them from my Collection of unpainted toy sets where they have sat for 10 years. Hopefully they will be a helping guide as I paint the others. There is a mass of straps on these guys leading to the Cartridge case and bayonet, the large bag, the water canteen, and the powder horn.

Image British Shrapnell

There is no propellent charge,or wooden shoe,or sabot with the cannon shot,but in spite of this mistake this is a good quality piece of work,and cheap as chips to buy,even if you have to buy the Guns in a separate box. Quite handy really if you need Guns for other war periods.

What follows is my own review concerning the 1/72 and 1/32 boxed sets.

Above the two boxes needed for the complete set.

The larger Guns are hollow cored out at the business end , so they look the part,quite unlike the smaller scale ones that do not have this feature, because the runner is connected directly to the front of the Gun.

The wheels are pushed on and require quite a force to fit them,and this was designed to be so ,( Like on many tuff to handle Toys ) ,and on this larger scale this causes no problem,but on the 1/72 scale the end just needs trimming off,to avoid buckling when trying to fit the wheels. Tiny thin pieces of plastic bend,and this is the down sized version of the 1/32 scale set .
This I remembered from some I did before so I thought a warning was way overdue.

On top of my box, along with some of the figures I`m working on ,is one of the Guns. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Feb 2015, 17:31

Well the base coat is on. Should have these finished in two days. I have found the yellow facings on the cuffs very sloppy work and if I paint others which I have I`ll cut these badly sculpted areas off and remodel this detail myself.

Image The cuffs should look like those in the picture.

On some of the figures where the two half`s of the pattern came together they did not line up. So this caused an overlap which is not good. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 19 Feb 2015, 12:48

Good work on these big figures Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cameronian on 19 Feb 2015, 14:34

Great stuff. I see you used the same design house and architect as me for your spray booth ;-)
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Feb 2015, 15:06

I have found it to be most instructive using both scales of figures,at the same time,because my eyes sight at 66 is not that good.Instructive because most of us are self taught ,and hopefully we learn by our mistakes. So comparing the larger scale figures I can see much better the equipment on them. ( Bag Strap`s and where they lead )
I have over the past few weeks had so many problems with these so called right to use Primer Sprays,and after using three different makes of them at £10 a can found them all useless product`s to use. Having figures ruined by the stuff cracking and pieces falling off after all the painting has been completed has caused me extra , extra work especially on the Project BFFF. I`m now using Humbrol brush on Enamel Primer, and neat Humbrol Matt Cote Varnish to seal & protect the work, then dilute it to dull down the shine. By the way a Big Thanks for your comments. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Feb 2015, 02:06

First of all,let me explain that the picture of the uniform shown is one of Artillery Driver,for Horse Artillery, and is different from the Gunners who have Red & Yellow facings on the front of their jackets. Although they all mucked in to help serve the Guns.

The next step

Varnish with added shade,( INK! ) applied and these will go shiny like into my Toy Collection as they are.
Did you notice that I forgot to highlight the bucket?

I forgot to mention the simple well aimed black spot on the white of the eyes.
( Sounds like one from treasure island! )
This camera aided by my PC certainly gets close up shots. Far to close to view my painting really.

I have several of these sets in both scales,and they when finished will be dulled down with anti-shine varnish then go into my Model Figure Collection, looking well fit to give the French a darn good thrashing!

I seem not to have enough time for painting these days,so work is still ongoing on the Gun which I`ll show soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by NathanIW on 21 Feb 2015, 16:44

I had the same thing happen to me with my 1/32 gun from my AiP Royal Horse Artillery set. I got the figures done, did the shading wash and cleanup and then I'm just sort of looking at the gun and figuring out how to break it down to best paint it in stages. And then I started some British infantry instead.

The combined varnish/ink made for a nice effect. I'm not a gloss guy myself, but I understand and appreciate the glossy toy soldier tradition. I have a few projects to get through first, but I'm eventually going to get some 54mm pewter toy soldiers all in the same pose and give them the gloss. Likely these ones from Black Hat:

I actually didn't notice you missed the bucket at all. And now the gloss is providing a natural shiny spot or two on the raised surfaces.
NathanIW  Canada

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Feb 2015, 17:36

Thanks Nathan for commenting. By the way,very fine cast figures you have.
I will be painting more AIRFIX & A Call to Arms : Napoleonic British Artillery with Matt,or Semi Matt finish in 1/72 scale.
Where this larger set is concerned I have learnt a great deal, which will be of benefit indeed when putting the Guns together in the smaller scale thus avoiding buckled wheels. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by NathanIW on 22 Feb 2015, 14:24

I don't have those yet. They are for a "some day" project of classic style toy soldiers.
NathanIW  Canada

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Mar 2015, 14:59

The metal screw for controlling the actual elevation of the cannon was never included in this old set,but adding a simple one is quite possable.

I added neat black ink to the Metal Bronze and achived to my eyes a much better look than just a flat bright bronze cannon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by NathanIW on 07 Mar 2015, 01:15

The black ink turned out great.
NathanIW  Canada

Posted by Peter on 09 Mar 2015, 21:01

Blue camouflage? Never seen that! :mrgreen:

Just teasing Paul, it looks great! Nice work on the bronze! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Mar 2015, 13:09

That's OK! Peter. Friendly Banter is always good.

( Emotive painting designed to raise interest, and most welcome comments. )

I have tried out a new way of painting, on this Gun with a light blue base colour, and in this case a darker blue ink applied like a wash. The Cannon could have been a touch darker in my way of thinking. However I like the reaction caused by mixing acrylic paint and black ink. The camera has brought out that reaction very well.
I am no painter, although I use paints ( Oxymoron? Perhaps. ),but in my way of thinking I wanted the darker blue ink to run where it would.
The end result to my poor spectrum of colour identification, is a very bright blue,but this item I feel is well fitting for my little Toy Collection of Rare Oddities. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by panzerman on 24 Mar 2015, 06:53

Doing something different is always fun.....you can learn new techniques and improve your skill set. I like the artillerymen and cannon. Nice job painting them.
Bill.
panzerman  United States of America

Return to Work in Progress