General

The Duke of Wellington's army (25.000 1/72 Airfix bods)

Posted by Winttrix on 08 Jan 2012, 01:47

That's a lot of work, but... what's the point?
Winttrix  United States of America

Posted by Duke atreides on 08 Jan 2012, 02:02

SamSagace wrote:I didn't saw your post, Sascha! :oops:

well... I know all what you said, it's not the problem!
But I'm not impressed with such a work and said it's awful because there's no life in it!
even a "Museum dio" or something like that must be life-full !!
(Waterloo is a battle, not a parade!!!!!! :angry1: )

I saw many "quantity works" which are good and "painted single figure" which are bad (or which I don't like! :mrgreen: ), so the quality is not a question of quantity, in my opinion!

I didn't paint quantity, because I don't know how to do and prefer painting each figure in a different way than the other which will be next it! For me it's more "fun"... :headbang:

I didn't change my opinion about that work! :evil: ....

Winttrix wrote:That's a lot of work, but... what's the point?

We must respect the quantity (because all of the work) but I can understand what you say. Those are displayed on the table! It's not a dio! The only way (for me) to really enjoy those figures is seeing them in a dio. A big one!
I paint napoleonics in order to represent a certain battle (and I had to stop painting those nearly 100 french soldiers!), not for displaying them on a shelf.
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 15:09

Duke atreides wrote:We must respect the quantity (because all of the work) but I can understand what you say. Those are displayed on the table! It's not a dio! The only way (for me) to really enjoy those figures is seeing them in a dio. A big one!
I paint napoleonics in order to represent a certain battle (and I had to stop painting those nearly 100 french soldiers!), not for displaying them on a shelf.

Well... Must we? Must we respect that someone paints so many figures and then declares them to be representing something real?
Well... No. Because THEN, I demand that this person does at least enough basic research in order to KNOW what he's trying to show, not only watch some stupid films and then think 'hey, let's make a huge amount of this and that and then create a historic scene just out of fantasy', put them all together on a bloody table and let people marvel about the sheer number of plastic I own.

Sorry - it's a fantasy army on the kitchen table. Reminds me of my childhood. Nothing else. ;-)
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Paul on 19 Jan 2012, 16:24

Winttrix wrote:That's a lot of work, but... what's the point?

A question the majority of the population of this planet ask about other peoples hobbies on a regular basis.
The person who did this probably had a lot of fun painting them and was chuffed to the moon when he´d finished. That was the point. ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 16:33

Paul wrote:A question the majority of the population of this planet ask about other peoples hobbies on a regular basis.
The person who did this probably had a lot of fun painting them and was chuffed to the moon when he´d finished. That was the point. ;-)

Well, yes. That's it. The only point maybe.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Tantallon2 on 19 Jan 2012, 16:53

I think you are being harsh Zed1. I'm with Paul here: it is not really up to us to question the motivation behind the work of other hobbyists who post here. We should focus instead on saying what we like and limiting ourselves to constructive criticism. As I'm sure many of our mothers used to say: if you cannot say anything nice maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.
Tantallon2  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 19 Jan 2012, 17:05

Zed1 wrote:A question the majority of the population of this planet ask about other peoples hobbies on a regular basis.

Paul wrote:Well, yes. That's it. The only point maybe.

Does there have to be another point?
Paul  China

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 17:14

Tantallon2 wrote:I think you are being harsh Zed1. I'm with Paul here: it is not really up to us to question the motivation behind the work of other hobbyists who post here. We should focus instead on saying what we like and limiting ourselves to constructive criticism. As I'm sure many of our mothers used to say: if you cannot say anything nice maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

Well - then I would have to keep quiet a lot. :lol:
If I'm no longer allowed to say what I don't like, then goodbye democracy, goodbye freedom of speech, isn't it?
Painting six million lancers for the battle of Gaugamela might be impressive work and maybe also end with a lot of nicely painted figures, but it is NOT the battle of Gaugamela - as well as 25000 Airfix bods are not displaying the army of the Duke of Wellington.
But being fair to the artist, I believe that it was not him who made that Youtube movie. And if he enjoyed painting all these figures, than it's fair enough for him. :-) But I still don't like the result.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 17:16

Paul wrote:Does there have to be another point?

Depends. If you want to express something with it, then maybe yes. If it's just for the fun of it, then no.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Paul on 19 Jan 2012, 17:49

Zed1 wrote:
Depends. If you want to express something with it, then maybe yes. If it's just for the fun of it, then no.

Ok, you are seeing it from your point of view. No-one could possibly have forced him to do this..therefore he must have had some fun doing it. I couldn´t do this for fun..but that´s me.

Zed1 wrote: And if he enjoyed painting all these figures, than it's fair enough for him.
Paul  China

Posted by Duke atreides on 19 Jan 2012, 17:56

Zed1 wrote:Well - then I would have to keep quiet a lot. :lol:
If I'm no longer allowed to say what I don't like, then goodbye democracy, goodbye freedom of speech, isn't it?
Painting six million lancers for the battle of Gaugamela might be impressive work and maybe also end with a lot of nicely painted figures, but it is NOT the battle of Gaugamela - as well as 25000 Airfix bods are not displaying the army of the Duke of Wellington.
But being fair to the artist, I believe that it was not him who made that Youtube movie. And if he enjoyed painting all these figures, than it's fair enough for him. :-) But I still don't like the result.

No, you are free to say what you think and that's good because it makes us all think for while (well, it had that effect on me).
What I don't understand is why do you say that's a "fantasy army" or those 25000 bods do not represent Wellington's army. But I might have missed something...
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by Paul on 19 Jan 2012, 18:02

Duke atreides wrote:What I don't understand is why do you say that's a "fantasy army" or those 25000 bods do not represent Wellington's army. But I might have missed something...

Basically Wordplay...everything we paint or model is a representation. To take the logic to it´s extreme we should all have to titel our stuff. "several lumps of plastic/metal / resing painted to look similar to ****** in a situation representing ******".
Paul  China

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 18:08

Paul wrote:

Unless his wife didn't stand behind him with a broomstick in her hands... :lol: But I guess he had some fun - and he had it for 40 years, which is fair enough.

So far, so good. As the maker of that movie has given the movie a nonsense title, the artist can now spend another 40 years painting the rest of Wellingtons army. :lol:
I couldn't do this for fun as well. I would just get distracted painting other things far too often. At least, I admire the discipline in behind of this project. :-)

Basically Wordplay...everything we paint or model is a representation. To take the logic to it´s extreme we should all have to titel our stuff. "several lumps of plastic/metal / resing painted to look similar to ****** in a situation representing ******".

Well... er... :oops: I give up, Paul - I'm owned. :lol:
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 19 Jan 2012, 18:25

Duke atreides wrote:What I don't understand is why do you say that's a "fantasy army" or those 25000 bods do not represent Wellington's army. But I might have missed something...

Because I have - as I slowly begin to realize - a personal problem: I see it too much from the historical point of view. Technically, this is merely a part of Wellingtons' army. Apart from the fact, that numbers are incorrect, it represents only the British part of it (which was not even the largest part - Wellington fielded more then 67000 men - although movies always show us Waterloo as if it was only 'redcoats against blue coats').
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Paul on 19 Jan 2012, 18:31

Zed1 wrote:
Because I have - as I slowly begin to realize - a personal problem: I see it too much from the historical point of view.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That´s why I gave up on ancients..I´d got too deep into trying to get it historically accurate..and the fun went a lot.
solution.........? (for me) I just boxed the lot up and started doing medievals...and poop to the historical angle. Ok..knowing the history is good, interesting , fun and usefull but for things that are so small compared to thier real life counterparts...it doesn´t always transfer into the hobby so I stopped worrying :-D
Paul  China

Posted by Duke atreides on 19 Jan 2012, 18:46

Oh, ok.
It's just words... because (and I had to go watch it again) the guys that put it on Youtube know that that is only part od Wellington's army. It's the title of that video that deceives most people.
Duke atreides  Portugal

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bourbaki on 21 Jan 2012, 00:39

The point is that he scamed us, I counted them all and there aren't 25000, I counted 24999 :angry2: :angry2:
Bourbaki  Spain

Posted by Winttrix on 21 Jan 2012, 06:03

Bourbaki wrote:The point is that he scamed us, I counted them all and there aren't 25000, I counted 24999 :angry2: :angry2:

:P :P :P D**m him :-D :-D
Winttrix  United States of America

Previous page

Return to General