General

Currently reading?

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Oct 2015, 09:09

I tried a needle, it hurt! :-( Don't worry about Peter, Paul. He doesn't read the books, he just looks at the pictures. ;-)
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Jun 2016, 08:31

Okay, the bookworm is here again. "Reading books is very nice, and it makes you very wise!". Just finished Jamie Bartlett's The Dark Web and realise that I am very happy and satisfied that this forum is probably the weirdest that I visit regurarly. I don't need to be weirder than this. During the Summer I plan to read Close Harmony by James R. Goff and The Music Men by Bob Terrell. Tried to paint once, but that didn't work so it is books and forestwalks, hopefully with blueberries, raspberries and chanterells, well, that's about a month off in the future. Right now I'm reading a little historybook about the beginning of Swedish Unions.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Emperor on 16 Jun 2016, 20:04

@Susofrick You are not the only book worm around here... I like to read to, even if I am reading less(books) things than earlier(I read more of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politikin_Zabavnik)...But concerning how people in my country look on books I am in quite minority here...Anyway I red some books like Les Miserables, Noterdam of Pairs, and most of Hugo books...I read also Jekyll and Hyde and Frankenstein, Holmes, Poirot...Just to see what directors don't do right... I red also Interview with vampire, I think it is much better book than her second about Lestat...They could have added in the movie the part about zombie vampire from Eastern Europe and they could have added those grotesque wall paintings which they didn't...
I remember one time some girl made a telephone call to see what is red from news paper in my house... I said Politika's Zabavnik and History(newspaper about that subject), she asked me ,,Sorry you said Story(women magazine)'' I said ,,No History, an newspaper about historic subject...
Also about books, these days there is so many populistic books less classics...
Now we can talk about Knut Hamsung or Charles Bukovski, or Kafka... The harsh reality of Kafka comedy...
Emperor  

Posted by Emperor on 16 Jun 2016, 20:09

Oh yeah, War and peace...I finished that also...Really good book...I found parts about parties boring...Description of battle and war was much more fun...But I can not say that I was more moved than with this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humiliated_and_Insulted
Emperor  

Posted by dykio on 29 Jun 2016, 08:00

A collegue of mine gave me a file for my e-reader with about a 100 episodes of the perry rhodan sience fiction serie. Now they are really fun to read, the story is really to rediculess to tell, the episodes are just a 170-190pages and i finish them within the hour. So far i read 9 of them and i'm wandering how far i het before i give up :-D

Ps i must admit that an e-reader is no replacement for a book but..well..it is handy :oops:

Laterr
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Graeme on 01 Jul 2016, 09:51

Tomorrow I have to read the Senate ballot paper, that might take a week!

Recently I read a few of the books released in time for the bicentennial of Waterloo (I saved some money by buying them a bit later) by Tim Clayton, Gordon Corrigan, David Crane and Bernard Cornwell. All of them make use of material that has only recently been made available and I found them all very good though clayton's is perhaps the most impressive.

I managed to get good copies of two out of print books, SWC Pack's "The Battle of Sirte" and Peter c. Smith and Edwin Walker's "The Battles of the Malta Striking Forces" (I had to order this one twice). These two terrific little books have a bearing on my family history so I was very happy to get them.
I have the volume of Churchill's autobiography that covers this period of time so I might read his words on the subject next, a Malta strike force was one of Winston's pet projects.

I'm rereading John Prebble's "Culloden" and just finished a book on a particular period in Australian history. both of these relate to figures I have in front of me at the moment.

I'll dilute Churchill with something a bit lighter, Ben Kane's "The Forgotten Legion" or something from Bernard Cornwell or Simon Scarrow. Bram Stoker's 'Dracula" is sitting on the table, that might do for some light bedtime reading.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by jaionemaiz on 06 Aug 2016, 11:54

I am reading Abbas Maroufi 's Symphony of the Dead. I like all his novels. I became his fan since I came to know about him on babynology.com.
jaionemaiz  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 23 Aug 2016, 10:11

I've been listening a lot to Southern Gospel (no, not Southern Comfort!) recently and it's good to read something about the music you listen too. So I've read two books about it. Booth good! The vinyl single is there just to get some balance, it is an old Swedish punk single where one song is called Hang God (but in Swedish).

Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Wolfie65 on 05 Jan 2017, 16:04

Perry Rhodan ?
Wow, good luck catching up !
That series has been around since the early 60's and is still going, as far as I know.
Completely dwarfs Star Wars and Star Trek put together, thousands of stories, spinoffs and what not.

Having just finished The Great Siege (Malta) and The Two Sieges of Rhodes, I've started Suleiman the Magnificent by Harold Lamb and have the Osprey book on the battle of Lützen handy also.
Debating whether or not my Spanish is up to trying El Capitan Alatriste, just watched the movie with Aragorn, erm, Viggo Mortensen,.
Wolfie65  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jan 2017, 21:51

`In The Days Of Giants` Tales of Northern Folks who live in the land of the midnight sun.
`Born Of The Desert' and `Paddy Mayne', with me a reading with relative ease on a much larger page on my P C.

And with plenty of pictures this BEANO ANNUAL, in me little mitts too BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 01 May 2017, 19:50

I've been reading all the books (5 translated in Dutch) of Gaius Valerius Verrens from Douglas Jackson! A must read for all who like to read about the old Rome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Jackson_(author)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 02 May 2017, 08:48

I am pretty stupid with books so among the more lightly crime novels and other stuff I read I started with a book from 18th century China, "Dream of the Red Chamber (Hong lou meng)" in Swedish. And this is something I know absolutely nothing about so it is a little challenge! And there is A LOT of names to remember. But I think I will make it through all the five HUGE parts. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Graeme on 02 May 2017, 12:30

Currently reading "Cartimandua : Queen of the Brigantes" by Nicki Howarth. A certain warrior Queen from BB's part of the world gets a lot of attention so it's good to read something about a warrior Queen from my neck of the woods.

Not military history but I just finished "The Longest Crawl" by Ian Marchant, about two blokes on a month long pub crawl from the most southerly pub in Britain in The Scilies to the most northerly pub in Shetland. Got this from the bargain table and it was $8 very well spent. A good fun read, nice travelogue and some interesting bits of history in there too.

Also reading one of Bernard Cornwell's "Lords of the North" novels. Recently I saw the DVD of the TV series for sale quite cheaply (it wasn't shown on TV here). I might have to take a look at that even though I know that the shields are going to irritate me. :xd:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jun 2017, 07:57

Dick Winters,left a legacy for his family. It being the royalties of this book. He and the men of easy company after 60 years revealed their own parts they and others played in the great liberation of European countries. I read it all in one day,because I just could not put it down. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 30 Jun 2017, 21:20

Never heard of, Paul, thanks for the tip. I just read the book from Ambrose last year.
MABO  Europe

Posted by daveyoung1jz on 03 Jun 2021, 14:58

I read the book "Napoleon in Egypt" by Paul Strathern.
daveyoung1jz  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Jun 2021, 20:07

Well done to daveyoung1jz for posting here. I have to confess that I have missed this thread and have never posted here...but now I will.

As well as having more figures than I will ever be able to paint, I probably have more books that I will ever properly read. I am an inveterate collector, and if something catches my eye book-wise it usually ends up in the 'library.'

Current reading includes the late David Chandler's great books on the Duke of Marlborough and warfare in the early 18th century: 'Marlborough as Military Commander'; and 'The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough'. Both were written some time ago, but they are masterpieces of military history by one of the greatest British military historians of recent times.

I have also recently purchased 'The Sassanians' from the Naval and Military Press at a bargain price. This is a fine book by Kaveh Farrokh, and I will be starting on this very soon; although I have also to say that I am cautious about reading too much that detracts from my current Marlburian project. I am very easily distracted....and I have boxes of HaT Sassanids waiting to be taken off the sprues, washed, prepped and added to the painting queue. I will try to resist !!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Jul 2021, 19:05

I'm reading now the XVII book of Eagles of the Empire series from Simon Scarrow (having already read the previous sixteen). A fantastic series for historic novel fans like me. :yeah:

By the way, I have a copy signed and dedicated by the author himself in 2011, when I met him during his promotional visit to the Madrid Book Fair. ;-)

Best regards.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Emperor on 12 Jul 2021, 20:36

I am reading Don Qixote...Great book, funny, interesting...Every chapter is hillarius...If I need something that is more comedy...
Emperor  

Posted by Flashcad on 30 Sep 2021, 15:12

I've had this book for years, but have recently been dipping into it again for background info on Vlad Dracula's night attack at Târgoviște on 17th June 1462, as I intend to build a scene based on the event.

Other sources indicate that The Impaler's Wallachian forces were similar in appearance to West European armies of the early to mid-15th century rather than his somewhat unreliable Hungarian and Moldavian allies, due to the clandestine importation of arms and armor from The Holy Roman Empire. If true, then that makes creating the scene a lot simpler in terms of the 54mm figures that I have available... :-)

Cheers the Noo
Flashcad  China

Previous page

Return to General