General

Helpful Books

Posted by nybot on 16 Aug 2008, 08:24

I was just sitting at home last night reading "Waterloo: The Companion" and just had to say what an excellent book I find it to be.

I thought I knew quite a bit about the battle having been interested in it since my dad built me a battlefield with Airfix soldiers when I was 4.

This book though has brought together so much information in my mind and corrected me on so many false assumptions I held. What became extremely clear to me last night was the organisation of French Regiment when they marched and deployed for battle. It was almost a moment of epiphany.

Just wanted to share that with and wondered if any others had books that they held in such high regard on any period that others might find useful.

nybot
nybot  United Kingdom

Posted by Martin on 17 Aug 2008, 12:05

Hi Nybot,

The Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin is also my favorite too.
The "Editions de la Belle Alliance- les Carnets de la Campagne"by Bernard Coppens and Patrice Coucelle are also favorites. Very sad that they are only written in french. But the plates: wonderful.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Adam on 18 Aug 2008, 01:27

It is a good book, has anyone read the trafalgar companion too? If it is half as good as this it'll be worth it!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 18 Aug 2008, 21:30

Hey Nybot, I also have that book. It's a very nice book with all the information you need about The battle of Waterloo.

For more information about books you must see this topic on the forum:
http://www.bennosfigures.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=447

Now I'm reading a book from Adam Zamoyski: 1812 Napoleon's Fatal March to Moscou. I can recomment it to everyone. I'm going to order his new book, wich is called The Fall of Napoleon, I think (in dutch: De ondergang van Napoleon).

@Adam; (about the Trafalger Companion) in november we have great exposure of books in Antwerp, and always there is a small stand with military and historical books. If I can I will have a look on it (not always possible, because of the cost, and then they are covered with plastic, and then you can only read the cover) I keep you informed.

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by nybot on 18 Aug 2008, 21:34

Hi Martin,

Being English I am limited to reading just the one language I am afraid. I did try to read my wife's book on Pancho Villa in Spanish once but I just couldn't do it.

I love the Napoleonic era though and 2 of my favorite reads have been "Redcoats" by Richard Holmes and I think it was "Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle" Roy Adkins. They both conveyed such a great sense of time and place. Although not directly connected to diorama building and soldier painting I think they are great inspirations.

One illustration from a historical book that would make a great diorama was in Mark Urban's "Rifles". The very last painting in the book shows a rifleman serving a cup of tea to the Duke of Wellington as he passed the company's bivouac on the morning of Waterloo. I will dig it out and post it.

@adam, sorry mate but I haven't read the Trafalgar companion.

Nybot
nybot  United Kingdom

Posted by Martin on 18 Aug 2008, 22:16

Hi Peter,

I got Adam Zamoyski's book The Fall of Napoleon, (in dutch: De ondergang van Napoleon) for my birthday today.
As thick as the fatal march to Moscou.
Was'nt able to read it yes (I only got it today).
Martin  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Aug 2008, 06:43

Then it's probably appropriate to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" :thumbup: :occasion: :occasion:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Adam on 19 Aug 2008, 18:06

Cheers chaps, I had a nosey at the Trafalgar book in the shop and it looked nice, but was just wondering on the content. On the whole I have found Adkins account to be well written, researched and a (finally) balanced account! The modern maps were a godsend.

And happy birthday Martin! :thumbup:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 19 Aug 2008, 20:14

Happy birthday Martin :guitar: :occasion:
That's a fine present you have got there!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 19 Aug 2008, 21:54

Hi all,

Thank you for the congratulations.
I had a good party with parents and friends.
Got some money to buy extra books.

Does someone has a good idea to spend it (on Nap. books!)
I've got a vast collection of Ospreys, Funcken, Hist&Collections, and some french ones of Coppens/Courcelle.
PSE with ISBN number
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by nybot on 20 Aug 2008, 13:45

Glad you enjoyed your birthday Martin.

I am also looking for a book with good tips on creating groundwork for dioramas. I have seen Shepard Paine's book on ebay, but before I buy it I was hoping that somebody here could give me a bit of guidance. My concern with this book is if it is mainly about the models themselves. I have never done groundwork myself so I am looking for something that will assume I know nothing on the subject.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Nybot
nybot  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 21 Aug 2008, 21:08

Hey Martin, this is a present for your birthday!

http://boekenbank.medialab.nl/?q=Napoleon

Hope you find something!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 21 Aug 2008, 22:19

Hi Peter,

That's a nice site "de boekenbank"
I didn't know that one, thanks
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 24 Aug 2008, 19:26

I know this site for years Martin. It's a very good one to find books of your favorite writer, period, etc.
I hope you found something?

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 24 Aug 2008, 22:00

Hi Peter,

I had a quick look, but still I made no decision.
It's a nice website!
Martin  Netherlands

Return to General