General

"Goumont" called "Hougoumont" by everybo

Posted by Peter on 18 Apr 2008, 21:32

Martin, as promised the story of Goumont. I put in English and Dutch because I'm not sure as the translation is completely right :? .

“Goumont”: the “redoute”, a castle and farm, was marked on the map of Ferraris as “Hougoumont”, but this was a phonetic transcript from “To (Au) Goumont”.
The Austrian General Ferraris was the first who made a map in 1777 what was realistic enough for the Southern Netherlands. In 1815 they used a map of Chanlaire and Captaine of 1796 witch was more or less a copy of that of Ferraris. Maps where very expensive and hard to find in that time, and not many officers could read them (therefore there are sergeants and colour-sergeants :horse: )
In 1815 “Goumont” was in the north a castle with a road with trees to the “Nijvelsesteenweg”, in the east a French garden with walls around and in the south a wood of 5 hectare. Against the castle was a farm build.

“Goumont”: De redoute, een kasteel en een hoeve,was aangegeven op de kaart van Ferraris als “Hougoumont”, maar dat was een fonetische transcriptie van “Au Goumont”.
De Oostenrijkse Generaal Ferraris was de eerste die in 1777 een betrouwbare kaart van de Zuidelijke Nederlanden maakte. In 1815 gebruikten ze een kaart van Chanlaire en Capitaine uit 1796 welke een enigszins aangepaste versie was. Kaarten waren in die tijd zeldzaam en duur, en weinig officieren konden kaartlezen (daar zijn Adjudanten voor).
In 1815 bestond “Goumont” in het noorden uit een kasteel met dreef naar de Nijvelsesteenweg, in het oosten uit een ommuurde Franse tuin en boomgaard en in het zuiden uit een bosje van 5 hectare. Tegen het kasteel aan stond een hoeve.

The book where I have found this information is only in Dutch language (maybe French), and was written by Professor Luc De Vos, a teacher at the Royal Military School at Brussels.

Hope you all enjoy this little piece of information.

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 18 Apr 2008, 23:40

Hi Peter,

That is an acceptable explanation. Au Goumont changed into Hougoumont.
The pronouncation is in french almost the same , and a mistake is lightly made.
I have visited the farm twice so I know how it looks like today.
Hans Slaager made a wonderful scratch build diorama of it. (with castle)
On this site Benno has photo's of it.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Apr 2008, 06:42

Thanks. Very interesting with stories like this one. :thumbup:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 19 Apr 2008, 21:19

Thank you.
I've been there also for several times, and then I'm always looking for more information. Also I always try to make a walk from the Butte over Goumont, La Belle Allience, La Haie, Pappelotte and La Haie Sainte, and so back to my starting point.
And I always recomment the headquarters of Wellington and Napoleon. The Wellington Museum and Le Caillou.
So if somebody wants some more historical information, ask me, I will always try to help.

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 23 Apr 2008, 19:34

Hi Peter,

Do you know on what date in June this years re-enactment show at the Battlefield will be? I've been there in 2006 and it was impressive!
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 24 Apr 2008, 17:03

Hi Martin, in the following link you find all the information you need (+other links)

http://www.belgium-tourism.net/informat ... 27278.html

It's a site where you can change the language (even in Spanish), but I can say that the re-enactment this year will be in the weekend of 21 and 22 june.

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Martin on 24 Apr 2008, 19:47

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this link.
Most of the links I got were in French (the language border runs just over the battlefield).
I am glad to read something in my "moerstaal" (native language)
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 24 Apr 2008, 20:33

Hi Martin, glad to help you. But you're wrong about the language border. When you're at the battlefield, you're in a place called "Braine Lalleud" (in Dutch "Eigenbrakel") and all the other names are in French. The language border is by Brussels. Not so many years ago, when you didn't speak French, is was difficult to get what you wanted. Now in this times it's much better, even in the Ardennes (The battle of the Bulge: another great heroic battle). Reasen of this I believe, is because they have lot's of tourists of the Netherlands :-D . For myselfe I live about two kilometers of the border of the Netherlands, and I got people from there as my neightbours (They're from Eindhoven), and I can't complain over them. And they don't over me.
About the re-enactment, the one that touched me most was that one of the 175th anniversary. That saterdayevening then they had a show about the battle with fireworks and lasers, and lots of actors, it was a great spectacle on the hill of the lion. And sunday the re-enactment was also great, but without Napoleon. That actor had a hartattack before the battle was even started! It was a strange view to see the red cross running over a battlefield of 1815.
Hope you enjoy. I don't know yet if I go.

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 24 Apr 2008, 21:54

Hi Peter,

The last time in 2006 a friend and I went there also to visit a friend who still is a sergeant in the 7th Belgian Line infantry as a re-enactor of course.
He, his wife and daughter (of 3 y) were there and we spoke a lot. The next day we met him in Plancenoit. We enjoyed that visit very much.
When I go, i'll not go alone. So I have to make an arrangement with him.
The next problem is that the weekend before this Waterloo weekend we'll organize a Meeting in Kampen. So I think at home................. Next year there will be a Waterloo-weekend as well.
Martin  Netherlands

Return to General