General

Is it just me?

Posted by stormy54 on 08 Nov 2020, 16:10

Hello
Thanks for admitting me join the gang.
I have only just started to paint figures and look at Table Top war gaming. Something that has irked me is scale. I have, still, a box full of "little men" [ my wife's description], I have time now to de-moldline, mod and paint them. These are original Airfix figures at 1/72 scale, and as I, from old, use 25.4mm [1"] this equates to 6 feet tall. Various sites call 1/72 figures 20mm, which to me 20mm is 5 feet.
I appreciate that it doesn't matter greatly, to me at least, but it's annoying when looking for figures on A....n or E..y where various sizes and scales are quoted, more so with vehicles / horses.
stormy54  Europe

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 Nov 2020, 22:06

I feel your pain, but from what I remember 20mm originated as 4mm to 1 foot (OO gauge) or 1/76 and the original Airfix figures were a lot smaller, but gradually grew to allow more detail to be depicted, a similar progression occurred with metal figures. the originals were measured head to toe, but now they are measured eye-line to toe (as it is easier with the varying headdress). I still have some old Stadden 30mm figures that are dwarfed by modern lumpy 28mm figures.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by stormy54 on 08 Nov 2020, 23:23

True, I have some original German infantry, grey plastic, and some original U.S Marines, dark green plastic, both are "1/72" scale but the marines are taller and fuller figured. The difference can be overlooked as real people are different sizes, so long as I don't group them all together. As it's only me and I'll be looking to game with a small group no problem.
Must carry a little man with me when (?) I next go mini figure shopping.
stormy54  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Nov 2020, 11:31

Many years ago I was more into Napoleonics and I needed some Prussian infantry. Revell hadn't come out yet and Airfix' Landwehr was out of production. I read somewhere that 1/72 was 25mm and I found some Prussian infantry that both looked okay and was 25mm. So I bought some moulds from Prince August.... well ... they didn't fit my other figures. But it was fun casting them!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2020, 09:20

Susofrick wrote:So I bought some moulds from Prince August.... well ... they didn't fit my other figures. But it was fun casting them!

Some of them are displayed in my room today, thanks again!! :mrgreen:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to General