General

A visit to Army Museum

Posted by Traveller1865 on 20 Oct 2017, 19:39

Having a day off work prompted me to make a visit to the Army Museum located in Stockholm. Why you might ask? Since I'm planning some 17th Century projects it would be a good idea to get som reference photos and inspiration in general. As it happens, the museum hosts a "wargame exihibition" so the chances of seeing some painted miniatures seemed pretty good.

I also hoped they would have some interesting stuff, meaning miniatures for sale, and they did! But to my sorrow not our beloved scale 1/72 but in the more popular 28mm scale.

In the display they had some painted examples of these 28mm figures, I admit it was tempting but the prices were insane and 1/72 is the one true scale

Well on to the general exihibit, which hasn't changed over the years, the first scenes you meet are some general information about warfare.

Now onto the Great Power Era of Swedish history which began in the early 17th century, some matchlock muskets on display.

Now comes something that sparked my interest in revisiting the museum, the Thirty Years War army miniatures display, I always thought these were Revell's figures from the early 1990s but now I'm not so sure after seeing them again.

As you can probably tell this shows an army in preparation for battle, with cavalry and pikemen and so on.

In a much larger scale, a few 17th century pikemen are displayed

Harsh times in war..

A cavalryflag from the 30-years war(?)

Swedish cavalry from the 18th century

Disastrous march back to Sweden after failed invasion of Norway in 1718...

Swedish artillery in the Russo-Swedish War of 1808-1809

Some muskets on display

So on the wargames exihibition, which was a little of a let down as most displays focus on boardgames..

Some miniatures were seen though...

A very old wargame published in Sweden...

Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by MABO on 20 Oct 2017, 21:09

Thank you for posting these pics and informations!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 21 Oct 2017, 04:35

Great to see a museum using figures in displays, I really like that. Fabulous pic of the Swedish Cavalry! And the old Swedish war game is very interesting, wouldn't you love to find one of those in a junk shop. Thanks for posting.

Also, nice shop, shame about the scale. :-)
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 30 Oct 2017, 20:27

Wonderfull post! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to General