General

National Army Museum London

Posted by Koppi on 01 Oct 2017, 07:54

Today some pictures from the NAM in London. The pictures are older, but the message behind it, it's still current.
So have fun with the pictures. Report in german and english.

https://thrifles.blogspot.de/2017/10/na ... ondon.html

Koppi  

Posted by FredG on 01 Oct 2017, 08:28

Love those trousers :-D :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Oct 2017, 07:41

Oh my! That's dirty!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 12 Oct 2017, 14:12

Private Mathew Clay living up to his name by falling in a ditch full of it. He's lucky his name wasn't Pte. Manure. :xd:

A great report from a great museum Koppi. I enjoyed revisiting this place through your pictures, I can't just drop in any time I want because I live on the other side of the world. For anyone who finds themselves in London this is a very interesting place to visit and I found some good books in the gift shop too.

Interesting point about the photography, I like museums like The British Museum, that are aware that they are public institutions and that most of the collection is public property so they allow photography for personal, non commercial use and for genuine study (Which is what we're doing here). Because sharing information with the public is what museums are for isn't it?

But I realise that some museums rely on sales to keep running so they want you to buy a ticket to see the collection and buy the postcards and books from the gift shop to remember it by. If a museum has a no photography policy I generally abide by it (though I might have a few sneaky shots of extra special things like Bronze Age Beakers... because they never have a postcard of the really cool thing in the gift shop do they? Just the mediocre crud).

Anyway, I was visiting Aspley House, in London, The Duke of Wellingtons house, which I thoroughly recommend to anyone in London with some time on their hands. I payed an entry fee and bought some of the books and postcards in the gift shop. I didn't see a sign saying photography was allowed (I didn't see a sign saying it wasn't either) so I did the right thing and I didn't take any photos of the collection.

Then I saw the Wellington Monument in the public park across the road and thought that a pic of the Wellington Monument taken from inside Wellingtons house would be a cool thing to have. And it's perfectly OK to take pics of the Wellington monument, I already had a few snaps of it from a previous visit to London. A staff member saw my camera and said "Excuse me, you're not allowed to take photos in here". I said "I'm not taking a photo of in here, I'm taking a photo of out there". To which she replied "Oh well... I suppose that's alright". I got a shot of the Bronze Welly and the Winged Victory that's also in the park but I didn't take any more photos. Not even when The Lifeguards rode past outside.

Here's the thing. There were about 8 or 10 other people touring the house at the same time and it seemed to me that most of them were using their mobile phones to film every flamin' thing in the house. And no-one said a word to them. I get it, I had a camera so it's "No photography allowed" but they were using mobile phones, and that doesn't count as photography does it. :eh:

You guys can make up your own minds. Is this a picture of a piece of public art, in a public park, placed there openly for the perusal and enjoyment of the general public. Or is it a clandestinely purloined image of commercially sensitive and copyrighted celebrity curtains. :xd:

I like to see reports like yours Koppi and I think they are a good advertisement for these places. When I see pictures of a good museum it just makes me think I'd like to go there.

P.S. There's some great stuff to see in Aspley house but the revelation of what The Iron Duke kept at the foot of his staircase is worth the entry fee all by itself. :shock:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Oct 2017, 16:03

Thanks for the topic,pictures and Link. :thumbup:

I have written of Private Mat Clay, on a number of occasions myself during my Hougoumont researches. He fired from the top of a huge haystack near the front of that place,upon the French crossing the famous cabbage patch after they had left the wood. He was so engrossed in the firefight that he had not noticed his mates had fallen back towards the back gate of Hougoumont, that was left open for resupply.

He was alone. It would be a very close call.

With the French advancing down the road and through the wooded area front and both sides of him, he slipped butt down from the top of that hay stack quick sharp and scarped for safety.
By that time the haystack had caught on fire and was well ablaze. He legged it to the back of Hougmount, and entered just ahead of the French that burst their way in behind him through that gateway.______________What happened next is well known and assigned to Waterloo history. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Oct 2017, 19:43

Brilliant pictures of the reality of living rough and fighting rough.

I love filthy troops!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General