General

Nostalgia

Posted by Koppi on 04 Dec 2016, 10:49

In the german Sweetwater Forum there is a nostalgia thread about your first gaming and miniatures experiment. A really great idea.
Surely I had to write something about my special experience.
My first experience was with my buddy Bernd, playing with his fabolous Timpo collection. We shot with mini explosives – here is a picture I don’t know the correct english word https://www.feuerwerkshop.de/images/pro ... /322_0.png -.
There was a lot of fun playing that game.
In the report you can see my first miniatures. I’ve painted them in a blue-white-red colour scheme, today – but not than - the colors of my favorite hockey team, and in green-yellow: The football team of my little village „TUS Fortuna Kottenheim“ was green-white, but I had have problems painting white colour. So I had used yellow instead.
After that first wargaming experience we returned in the sandpit, playing cowboy and indian as „reenacters“.
Later on I’ve started connecting 1/72 miniatures, planes and ships.
In the report you can see my first toy soldiers, my first painted 1/72 figures (German Afrikakorps), my first 1/72 army (Airfix Gauls), planes, ships and more of my youth.
And some pictures from my childhood.
The report is only in german. But the pictures are explained.
Have fun with the pictures.
Maybe it's also interesting for YOU, to show your veterans, here in that thread. For me, it would be funny to see your first miniatures or armies.
Retro is up to date. So, come on, share your pictures with me.

http://thrifles.blogspot.de/2016/12/kin ... piele.html

Koppi  

Posted by Peter on 05 Dec 2016, 21:17

Thanks for sharing your childhood with us! Really love those old figures and pictures! :thumbup:

PS: you have some rare Jean Hofler figures in this picture, like the squaw, pipe smoking chief and the medecine man on his horse! ;-)

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Koppi on 05 Dec 2016, 22:04

Hi Peter,

they are really rare? Incredible.
I still hope, that some others from the forum will post there figures too.
Koppi  

Posted by Peter on 05 Dec 2016, 22:11

Koppi wrote:Hi Peter,

they are really rare? Incredible.
I still hope, that some others from the forum will post there figures too.

They sure are! Ask Beano Boy if you don't believe me. We're collecting them! ;-)

Here you can see some painted cowboys of this range: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=17393

:-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Dec 2016, 09:17

Threw most of my old figures when my parents moved from their house. Saved some. Here are some of them (old pics):

And Airfix cavalry with some prisoners:

Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Dec 2016, 14:26

Ah, yes! A pic from those old times too, forgot!

I think this is sometime between 1969 and 1971.
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 07 Dec 2016, 21:11

The Airfix US Cavalry and a young Gunnar! Fun! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Mário on 09 Dec 2016, 18:16

Hello
Let me join this nostalgia thread showing you some of my old toy soldiers:
These first ones are the older of the lot. I always keep tem in a box that I recovered from my father's home when my son was old enough to play with them. Most were broken and those were disposed off, the ones I present you are the survivers of long years of play and also form years of play by my son, back in the late nineties early 2000´s
Roe deer, male and female, in cream plastic, height to shoulders 35mm to head (excluding antlers 50mm – 1957/8
Soldiers (apparently inspired by US army) in green and basic coloring, long gone, rigid plastic 55mm, 1958(?) at least

I had some others, including one kneeling with a machine gun, long gone, broken or lost.

Cowboys, in rigid plastic, cream, around 1958, 54mm The indian horseman is 33mm and quite flat.
British guards band, in rigid plastic, cream, around 1958, 54mm. There were more long lost or broken.
Indian teepees Britains or Swopet, 54mm series, around 1964
Indian chiefs and squaw with camp fire, Britains 54mm around 1958/59
Zorro horseman, flexible plastic, no visible brand, 54mm, around 1960

American frontier men, no visible brand, flexible plastic, non painted, 65mm around 1958

It is a long post. I will stop for now and will post some other latter.

Regards
Mário  Portugal

Posted by MABO on 10 Dec 2016, 14:27

Thinking about figures, which are important during my childhood, Atlantic 1/32 bods come into my mind. I have a lot of them, unfortunatly I missed the chance to get some ships or the colosseum. ;-)

I have painted them with my PLAYMOBIL felt pense.

Romans, Egyptians, Greeks and so on.

When I started collecting as an adult, I repainted a lot of them. But the work is not yet completed.

But much more I love (and loved) Elastolin figures. I got the chance to buy those in toystores, no longer possible as you all know.

Romans have been the starting point and are my pride until today. If I have a chance, I try to pull out my collection.

I had some Timpos and Britains as well. But the Timpos I sold on a flea market.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Dec 2016, 23:56

I like this topic and all the toy figures shown. :thumbup:

:coffee:" Yes, I am a most eccentric toy collector, as all Fiddle Wood Gnomes are,
but they much prefer to remain invisible. Whereas I am past caring about collecting and showing the simple things. It may not be everyones cup of tea, (Liking ) but it is mine "

My Topic.
"BB`s Toy Figures", with nearly 40.000 hits has proved much more successful then even I thought possible here on the Forum and elswere,because it is entirely devoted to my own toy collection with some rare oddities worth a few penny`s to those of a few pounds.I hold them all equal in my hands because they are part and parcel of social change. Some child 58 years ago played with those shown below.

The HERALD toy figures above are as fresh as they were when they left the little toyshops in the late 1950`s early 1960`s. Toys invoke memories and collecting is just part of childsplay, because it is simply an easy task to do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Koppi on 12 Dec 2016, 23:01

Heh,

great figures. And yes. I loved the Elastolin Gawain. But he was sooooooooo expensive.
Koppi  

Posted by Emperor on 23 Dec 2016, 19:08

@Koppi- I like nostalgia, the thing you used to make explosion is a fire cracker. Anyway, I hade used it my self one time. Once I found an old wooden house model made for school, so me and my brother, sister and friends took the wooden house and putted fire cracker in it and made it explode. That was back in 2004. It was fun, but you need to be carful. I never like it when local kids used it to hurt somebody with it human or animal.
Emperor  

Posted by Michael Robert on 23 Dec 2016, 20:05

Hello,

interesting thread. Shows that most members here on the forum had very similar childhood games.
Unfortunately, I have no pictures at all. At the time - during the 70ies I collected all Airfix and later the Atlantic boxes. I also had a good collection of Timpo Knights and Elastolin figures. All my Airfix with the exception of the Waterloo sets were given away to children when my parents moved. The Knights and Elastolin figures were given to my younger cousins who managed to vandalize them in less than a year. Since I am not a collector I don't really mind.
However, I share with you the memories of playing with these figures because that's what we did. We - it was often a game with friends - played without written rules, made noise and quarrelled who would be the winner. Later, when some people introduced the elaborated rule sets to make it realistic and historic this type of game lost most of its interest to me - just too slow and boring. I am no wargamer today, even if I could show up with some nice armies.

Nice memories to share.
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to General