General

Gravel&Sand Fixer - product overview

Posted by Kekso on 25 Aug 2015, 18:02

Hi guys. Recently I bought AK Interactive product that supposed to fix gravel and sand to the base. I think it could be used for fixing other stuff as well (e.g. dirt). I was interested with reviews I found online so I decide to try it out so I made quick test to compare it with white glue.

Here's the picture of product:

Bottle that contains 100 ml costed me around 7,5€ (domestic shipping is included in that price). Product contains alcohol and it is marked as flammable.

First, I added some white glue to the base. While white glue must be applied before gravel, fixer is applied AFTER.

After that I scatter some gravel and sand on white glue (left) and some dry gravel and sand on the right. Then I soaked right pile with fixer. I think I added a bit too much but it was my first time.

After about 30 minutes of drying I removed excess of sand and I got this (I must note that pile with fixer had almost none excess sand):

As you can see pile with fixer is slightly darker but has nice matte finish. Maybe if I used less fixer it would be lighter. Pile with fixer is thicker, harder and firmer than one with white glue. On close ups you can see that gravel didn't cover surface completely when using white glue.

Image Image

Conclusion: White glue is cheap and useful stuff but from now on I would definitely use Gravel&Sand Fixer for my bases.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 25 Aug 2015, 19:10

Thanks for showing us this product and the comparison with white glue! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2015, 20:07

The alcohol breaks the surface tension allowing the mix to soak in from the top. Result dries solid hard.
The old tried and tested way is: Well Watered down PVA Glue with a drop of washing up liquid mixed into it, breaks the surface tension too, allowing the mix to soak in from the top,and not run off sand or stone. Result dries solid hard. It is the soap that makes this possible. Used cheaply on ballasting model railways for Years & Years. Using an eye dropper the Honeywell Line all 138 feet of it was made possible using this cheap method. I realise a few bases for model figures would not cost much using the AK stuff,and I respect anyones choice in using it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 25 Aug 2015, 21:27

Hi Paul. Thank you for your comment. PVA tends to leave somewhat glossy, plastic finish, fixer doesn't. PVA dries much slower than fixer. On the other hand, there is a price issue. Especially when you need to cover larger surfaces (like terrains for train models). But with my needs I would have 100 ml of fixer for couple of years if not more. I'm not trying to convince anybody that he should buy that stuff. I'm just happy I did. Cheers :occasion:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 26 Aug 2015, 09:48

Small update, after few hours surface of gravel isn't dark anymore. It is the same shade as one glued with white glue.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 26 Aug 2015, 09:54

Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 26 Aug 2015, 10:26

Paul´s right. You can use washing up liquid/window cleaner or indeed alchohol to reduce the surface Tension of PVA...I do it all the time..no shine.
€7.50 for 100ml seems a bit expensive compared to the price 500ml of PVA especially when it´s for creating a base..but..as far as I know it´s for Fixing already shaped sand..ie..you create Patterns in sand or fine gravel then add the fixer (spraying or dropping) ..not really for using as first the fixer then the sand ?
Paul  China

Return to General