Commission painting

Would you pay to someone paint figures for you

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 26

Posted by Kekso on 08 Mar 2014, 19:05

Hi guys. Now and then I see someone posts his work here but that work is made for a customer. Not that I have something against that, but I just wondering how many people are there willing to pay for painted figures.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by armpcm on 08 Mar 2014, 19:16

I casted my vote. :-D
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MABO on 10 Mar 2014, 08:16

No!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Mar 2014, 08:46

The fun for me is in the painting. Not the perfect historical accuracy or something like that. When I want that I can look at other painters here.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by SamSagace on 10 Mar 2014, 09:48

No !
I'm a collector of unpainted figures ! :mrgreen:
sometimes I try to paint some of them... :-D

and I wouldn't like to see someone taking my place at my own Painting-table !! :angry3:

but I understand that some gents need figures for wargames (for example) or consider that they are master-works ! :confused:
SamSagace  France

Posted by Painting72 on 10 Mar 2014, 10:07

You must see it different... some collectors are not the "hands" and the "eyes" for to paint self the miniatures. I think the most people here in the forum are painting self the miniatures.
Painting72  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by KGV on 10 Mar 2014, 15:18

For me, 90% of this hobby is painting. When you have finished a project, you can look at it with a certain amount of satisfaction..
If someone else has done it all for you, then, whats the point.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by vellek on 10 Mar 2014, 16:20

"To each his own", but I spend enough money on the unpainted ones as it is.
vellek  United States of America

Posted by despertaferro on 10 Mar 2014, 19:47

Well, definitely I would pay for someone painting my figures (if I had the money for it and they were painted in the same way I do).

Most probably I think in a different way of most of you guys, but for me painting is a sacrifice, a pin in the ass, a hard work that I endure just because I like to see my armies displayed on the shelves and, once on a while, I can enjoy a quiet afternoon just changing their arrangement, This is the moment of real pleasure. The rest is just the work I must do for it.

Choosing the next army, pick the sets and the poses I like and base them would be amusement enough for me. Not need of hours and hours of burning my eyes painting these little bastards… :sweatdrop: :-D
despertaferro  

Posted by Paul on 11 Mar 2014, 19:20

I wouldn´t pay for painted bods, nor would I take money to paint them for someone, for me it´s a Hobby not a Job. If someone can afford to pay to have them painted for them, and if someone can make Money painting them for someone else, why not?
Paul  China

Posted by Konrad on 11 Mar 2014, 19:26

No!
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Painting72 on 12 Mar 2014, 09:05

But where is the problem, that some collectors are going to painting-services for to painting the miniatures?
Painting72  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 12 Mar 2014, 13:27

Hi painting72. My post (poll) was just out of curiosity. When I was creating it I wasn't taking "this" or "that" side. I see no problem in people stating diffrent opinions. I think that none of us see commision paintig as a bad thing. Most of people just said that they wouldn't pay for it.

Keep up with good work. Cheers.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Mar 2014, 16:22

My Uncle Neddy Eddy Longbottom Beano,would paint figures for anybody. He worked for Henry Ford,spraying the first ever Model T Ford`s. The advertising slogan was,"You can have any colour you want,as long as it is black. This of course would apply to his model figure painting too. His range of jet black figures were an instant hit,in certain circles of American Society!It reminded many as to what they all looked like, on the first day when they had struck it rich when drilling for oil. So black is Good!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Uwe on 13 Mar 2014, 08:59

Hi guys,

I want to give me five cent to this discussion too.

When we work on our anual dioramas we sometimes have the problem, not to get enough figures for the units we need in time. Of course I try to paint them myself because then I know I will like them. But sometimes we need too much of a unit and then I know I simply can't paint them all alone.

In such a case I would look for painted figures on Ebay or even ask friends to paint for payment.

Just last month I started glueing the figures for our Agincourt Project 2015 on the bases. First I thought I have already 1500 painted figures of the 100YW in my collection, my friend Schmitty too. Now when sorting out the stuff I recognised, that I have just around 200 English archers, most of the rest are simply foot-soldiers for which I don't have much use in this battle.

The problem with buying painted figures or let them paint is that they are often not historical correct. Last year a hobby friend offered me around 600 painted Romans. I thought there will be always use for the, especially as he asked just 150 Euro for them. When I got them I recognised that he hasn't painted them himselve, there were seven different styles of painting on the legionaries. And not one of them was historically correct. One too black leather belts, another one painted the backside of the shields brown, not in unit-colour, the next one painted the Pila black. Two had the usual mistake of the golden shield-design etc. etc.

So in my mind painting is the hobby and makes fun. But sometimes you are forced to search for other ways to complete a unit. But you have to be careful. Sometimes correcting wrong paintings takes as long as painting a figure yourselve...

cheers
uwe
Uwe  Germany

Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor) Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor)

Posted by Xantippos on 09 May 2014, 20:41

Would I pay somebody to paint figures? yes, if I had the money! as I don't, I paint them myself or occasionally, I buy some ready painted figures on eBay, but only when they have a similar price to that of the unpainted figures, which is very few times indeed.

I collect figures for wargaming, but I enjoy painting them too. The problem is that it is very tiring.... and I have too many soldiers! I should paint each box I buy, but I nearly always prefer to build a model kit than paint soldiers, as it is much more rewarding to build something than just to colour it.
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General