General

Old Prints of Belle Alliance, Hougoumont And La Haie Sainte

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Nov 2013, 17:09

Hi there guys, while trolling through some old pictures on my PC that I`d placed there some years ago, I happended upon these old prints, and I do beleave they represent the Waterloo area around the time of the 1820`s or 30`s. The most interesting thing for myself, was just how the harsh cold winds had caused the tree`s to grow along the main road toward Brussels. Where I live there are many a tree too, where the wind has caused this to happen.Another thing too,is the Belle Alliance, has the large exstention facing the way toward La Haie Sainte.I just thought you guys might like to see them, so here they are.ImageImage As you can this picture is in two half`s.ImageImage these are in two half`s too.ImageImage This one is in two half`s too,and I hope you like them. the odd thing is I`d completely forgotten them.
Last edited by Benno on 18 Nov 2013, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't use too many caps in your topic titles.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2013, 02:02

Sorry Benno.When I put Three named places in topic I did`nt know it would cause you problems! B B
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Nov 2013, 13:37

Very nice prints!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Nov 2013, 18:48

Hi guys,these are Lithograph prints,and they would have been sketched by an artist then sent by wire,then engraved onto copper plates for the newspapers back in the day. Of course before the copper plate was engraved the picture had to be reversed! ( Turned Over!) When engraved the copper sheet was added to the printers roll, with the rest of the news print for that page in the newspaper which was also backwards, and inked and printed. The Lithograph picture was sent via the cable system used for telegraphs! so although the cable service did not exist in the 1820`s or 1830`s the pictures were impressions by artists back in the day when it did! However it is clear the artist who produced these picture was on those locations where the battle had been,but by then the stable had been added to,the front of The Belle Alliance. B B
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 20 Nov 2013, 18:31

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to General