General

Totally make-over PSR website

Posted by Martin on 24 Jan 2009, 21:01

Hi,

If you login on the PSR website, you've got a completely other view.
They made a totally makeover of it.
New colours, new fonts.
But the reviews stayed the same, luckily.
PSE give your opinion here................
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by ModernKiwi on 24 Jan 2009, 21:22

I mostly like it. It's cleaner in appearance and I like the figure size comparison.

The only thing I am missing is the links to other figures that appeared at the end of each review. I found those very useful.

EDIT: I have to take the above comment back. I turns out that the three reviews I looked at never had links. The others still have their links.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Waterloo on 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Wow, that freaked me out when i first went on it today.
I like it.
The basic qualities that make me love that website is still there.
I agree that is does seen more neat and better looking now.
I don;t have much concern!

Colin
Waterloo  Canada

Posted by Maurice on 25 Jan 2009, 00:19

I don't know, I kinda liked the old format, now it looks just like one of those many template based websites that lack a real personal touch.
Maurice  

Posted by kit95 on 25 Jan 2009, 01:08

I love the old format! The new site is slow and the colours are not so pleasant to my eyes. Bring back the old!!!!!!!!!!!
kit95  Singapore

Posted by Benno on 25 Jan 2009, 02:41

Not here to burst your bubble, but the new design is awful. Really awful.

It's actually a lot worse than the previous one. On the previous site everything was meant to be on that place on the page, now it looks like they just dumped the content on a page.

The site is even worse than the average template site from nowadays, or even from two years back. Even the seven years old site looked better than the new site. It's like going from burning wood to burning coal to produce energy while everybody is switching from coal to solar panels and wind energy.

The red gradient isn't that good either. It's way to heavy, the dark red is to dark and drawing to many attention while reading the page, while the attention needs to be drawn to the content of the page. Gradients as they are used here aren't been used anymore. At all.

The green leather looks really unreal, in a bad way. It would be better if they didn't use this or at least wouldn't have made it green. It's actually a bit sickening.

The navigation isn't any better than the previous one. There is way to much white space between the items, BUT most important, they don't look like buttons anymore! It looks like a few random words are put in a box with rounded corners. I kno "it says home, manufacturers etc etc so it has to be a menu". Yeah but you had to look at it first, and think "is this the menu?" then you had to read the items and come to the conclusion this is the menu. This thinking process is done in less than a second, but it did cost a second of thinking, while it should be clear where the main menu is in the first place. This isn't improving the web usability of this site.

The header looks as if it isn't a part of the rest of the website. It's the only part that is italic while the text on the rest of the site isn't. The site slogan could be in italic, but the name of the site would better not be. Black on this green isn't one of the most beautiful contrasts eather. I wonder why the "text search" link is in a bright white. It draws attention while it shouldn't. When a visitor looks at a website he scans the page for objects that draw his attention. The "text search" was one of the first things I saw after the logo and header, while I should be looking at the content in stead. If they keep this ugly noisening green they'd better make the text color a light green to soften the contrast.

A few more pixels above and underneath the breadcrumbs (home > page 1 > page 2) would be better, and putting the text one pixel down to align it in the middle. The breadcrumbs are actually a good addition to the website. It gives the visitor an idea of where he is on the website so the visitor doesn't feel lost. This is a good example of web usability, so PSR did a good job improving it with this function.

The RSS feed is a very good addition too, however it would be better if it was just clickable in stead of copy pasting it.

The titles and headers aren't clear. Increasing the size of the titles with a few more pixels or making it bold doesn't necessarily make them stand out. Using a different font or using a different color makes them stand out a lot more.

I know they spent a lot of time in their site, improving it, but it hasn't improved a lot. It's even more chaotic than the previous design. More things are worse than they were before, which is a real pity I think.

The old site was better, a lot better.

(I wrote this while studying the site design and content make up so my story could be a bit chaotic.. I also wished I could choose my words better.. my English isn't that bad but not good enough to always say correctly what I mean or think.. :oops:)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Jan 2009, 12:11

I don't mind that much, but I know absolutely nothing about web design. It works for me.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 26 Jan 2009, 18:57

Wow Benno,
That's a very thorough review of PSR and a great exercise in web design :thumbup: I agree with you on a lot of things. It really seems like they did a lot of upgrades on the site (not all of them good ones), and didn't upgrade the hardware to run it. The site loads a lot slower, that's for sure!
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Martin on 26 Jan 2009, 22:05

Hi all,
I posted this one and you gave your opinion.
I myself agree with Benno.
The old site was a bit outdated too, but the really messed up with the new one.
We, regular users of the PSR website, know what is behind every button.
But new users don't. And all seems a little chaotic to me.
A pity of such a leading site in 1:72 figures.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2009, 22:35

Short and powerfull: give us the old site back!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ColeF on 27 Jan 2009, 03:06

PSR has saved me a LOT of money. As long is they are still running :jumping: I'm happy. :-D
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by Martin on 27 Jan 2009, 18:05

Hi,

But this way they are running backwards :nay: :crybaby: :oldman:
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Benno on 27 Jan 2009, 18:43

I was only talking about the design. PSR is and will be THE 1/72 site for a long time and it's content is of a high quality. With the new design it doesn't look as a high quality website. Like a succesful novel that's written on tissues: the story is good, but the presentation isn't.

The new design doesn't do any justice to what PSR is about. :neutral:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by ColeF on 28 Jan 2009, 01:07

Martin wrote:Hi,

But this way they are running backwards :nay: :crybaby: :oldman:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very difficult, :oops: but possible. ;-)
ColeF  United States of America

Return to General