General

The death of Dionisio Alvarez Cueto

Posted by rpardo on 07 Jan 2009, 19:21

I am sad to announce that Dionisio Álvarez Cueto died (january 6) in Madrid (Spain). He was 44 years old. Dionisio was an artist who specialized in the Peninsular War and Spanish uniforms in particular.
Along with Miguel Angel Martin Mas he founded the Editorial "Las cuatro plumas" (The four feathers) http://www.las4plumas.com/home.php; publishing "Madrid 1808. The 2nd of May for everybody". His military illustrations gave life to more than a dozen of books and numerous articles in national and foreign specialized magazines.
He will be missed
See some samples of his peculiar and unmistakable style.

rpardo  Spain

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Jan 2009, 08:51

It is sad when people die. And with an artist of this quality it is a great loss. He wasn't old, was it a disease or something else? Doesn't matter, he's gone and the world will have to go on without him. Great paintings, by the way.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Adam on 08 Jan 2009, 10:00

You have said it all guys. I can't say I have heard of him especially, but doubtless I have seen his paintings in many books during my pursuit of my hobby. A sad loss, the top pictures is just the sort of thing I used to pore over when I was a kid, examining every minuite detail... and in truth, still do now.
Adam  United Kingdom

Return to General