General

Just can't do it!

Posted by Bramble15 on 21 Apr 2012, 11:11

I recently read an article on the local newspaper website stating that a local hobby shop was closing it's doors. :cry: Opened in 1953 the Overlea Train and Hobby Shop would be going out of business. The article stated that they were selling off their inventory at deep discounts.

Well my little background is that as a kid in the late 70's I used to hang out, and I mean hang out with the original owner Mr. John. When there was no game going on in the neighborhood I would ride my bike down the street to the shop and hang out. This guy was maybe in his 60's then and I was no more than 10 or 11. He would show me stuff, mostly train stuff but I listened anyway. Moving foward thru high school and college not much time for modeling but once completed I started to go back. Mr. John had passed away and his son in law took over. Nice guy more into models than trains.

There was one thing that stood out to me, his model prices were in my opinion crazy high but his supplies were well in line with other shops, so I would buy all my paints and supplies from him. Then we moved. About 20 miles north, found a great hobby shop that I have been going to for the past 10 yrs.

Long end to the story - I have driven past the Overlea hobby shop 3 times now in the past 2 weeks. The intention has been to go in and get as much as I can. I have yet to park the car and get out. The closer I get to the store the more and more I feel like a vulture circling it's prey. I decided yesterday that great discounts be damned I will not go back just to pick them clean.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 21 Apr 2012, 11:45

Sad to see model shops dissappear but If i was you, I´d stop circling your prey and get stuck in.Think of it this way..you´ll be helping them shift their remaining stock and turning it into something more usefull..ie cash.
Paul  China

Posted by Duke atreides on 21 Apr 2012, 14:43

Same thing happens around here. It's sad but Paul is right, just buy what you need/want and be in peace with your mind. It's not like you are taking advantage from the owner - he is gooing to close the shop anyway, because the business was bad, not because some were buying the last boxes at a very low price!

Are there any ancient, medieval or napoleonic 1:72 figures? :P
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by Peter on 21 Apr 2012, 21:26

Go in there man, and buy as much as you can. You do the man a pleasure by paying him what he asks.
If you don't do it a purchaser will, and the next day you find what he bought on e-bay for much higher prices. And he will ask more discount from the owner because he will buy a lot.

That's the way it works around here ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by zzed on 24 Apr 2012, 23:35

I think it is a sad destiny of all modelling retail shops, but as others said, you will help them with the cash
zzed  Croatia

Posted by Dad's Army on 26 Apr 2012, 15:46

Come on, you can do it, I am with Paul on this one!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bramble15 on 26 Apr 2012, 17:15

Enough said gentlemen. I believe I will head by later this afternoon.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by vellek on 26 Apr 2012, 17:33

You're a collector, not a vulture. Hope you clear them out! :-D
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 27 Apr 2012, 03:14

I'm with everyone else on this one. You'll be helping both the owner and yourself by buying what you can. Keep us posted....

PS It's a real shame though to see another brick and mortar store go by the wayside. :cry:
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by bilsonius on 27 Apr 2012, 06:19

I was doubly grieved to read on the Airfix Tribute Forum that Bath Model Centre had closed, which I always used to make a point of visiting when down that way; not only did I miss out on any closing-down sale, but I had made a point at Christmas of buying a couple of kits to support them, at far higher prices than I could have paid online... :(
bilsonius  United Kingdom

Posted by zzed on 27 Apr 2012, 18:17

my policy is to support local retailers too, but they simply can't match the stock of the biggest web shops and they can't sell enough to survive
maybe it is better for them to focus on modelling tools and materials in general
zzed  Croatia

Posted by ColeF on 27 Apr 2012, 18:34

If they have a set of Zvezda's French voltigeurs I might take a run up to MD and get 'em. :-)

It is sad to see the old hobby shops closing up. Fortunately, ours in NC is still kickin. :thumbup:
ColeF  United States of America

Return to General