Work in Progress

Vikings raiding the Italeri Church

Posted by Jeroen1302 on 09 Feb 2011, 02:15

It's been a while since I posted anything, but since I have a week off, it's time for some painting. My father and me did the Italeri church and now we're going to work on some vikings to raid it and some peasants and soldiers to defend it, mostly from Zvezda, some from Orion. It's going to be the first serious attempt to paint figures with acrylics, hope it works.

I know the renaissance-ish pediment above the door and the vikings are a little anachronistic, but I can assure all historical correctness-fetishists that the viking horns will be cut of! 8)

Ps: I already started painting the nun once with enamels, is it possible to get its paint of with white spirit or anything else? Or wouldn't it be a problem to just paint over it?

Jeroen1302  Netherlands

Posted by KenzoSato on 09 Feb 2011, 08:21

:love:
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by laurence strong on 09 Feb 2011, 09:15

Nice job on the church. :thumbup:
laurence strong  

Posted by Michel on 09 Feb 2011, 11:18

Sorry, but this is an Italian Church and the Knights in front of it are from the 14th Century...!

Both has nothing to do with Vikings of the 9.th Century... :nono: :nono: :nono:
Michel  Germany

Posted by Maurice on 09 Feb 2011, 11:48

Well, the Vikings did raid Italy several times, and even established a colony on Sicily in the 11th century, but there is still a question of dates. The knights are definitely to late, a better choice would be HaT's Christian Spanish infantry, and the church doesn't like it fits in the age of Viking raids either. Nice job on painting that thing btw, looks awesome.
Maurice  

Posted by Phersu on 09 Feb 2011, 16:14

Maurice wrote:Well, the Vikings did raid Italy several times, and even established a colony on Sicily in the 11th century, but there is still a question of dates. The knights are definitely to late, a better choice would be HaT's Christian Spanish infantry, and the church doesn't like it fits in the age of Viking raids either. Nice job on painting that thing btw, looks awesome.

Worth to mention the plunder and destruction of Luni...
Coming across the first (relatively small) town on the Italian coast, the Vikings saw the town church and believing it was Rome they raid it! :headbang:

The kneeling friar begging for mercy and the Viking with the cross (from the Orion Vikings set) would fit perfectly in this scenery! :winky: :xd:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 09 Feb 2011, 16:51

I like it...the church painting is great.
If I were you I´d stick to the bods you´ve got ....history is one thing...fun is another. :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Dad's Army on 09 Feb 2011, 18:41

Paul wrote:I like it...the church painting is great.
If I were you I´d stick to the bods you´ve got ....history is one thing...fun is another. :-)

I second that, a well done church, lets see what you make out of it ;-)
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 09 Feb 2011, 18:47

I agree with the comment of Paul and Remco ;-) Fun is the word :thumbup:

You did a good job on the church :thumbup: and I'm curious how the figures will come out ;-)

Why does a project has to be historical correct? I like it when someone uses his fantasy :cheers:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Maurice on 09 Feb 2011, 19:19

Peter wrote:Why does a project has to be historical correct? I like it when someone uses his fantasy :cheers:

You're right, my next diorama will be Napoleonic French taking on early imperial Roman legionnaires. That should be cool :-D
Maurice  

Posted by Paul on 09 Feb 2011, 19:21

Peter wrote:I agree with the comment of Paul and Remco ;-) Fun is the word :thumbup:

You did a good job on the church :thumbup: and I'm curious how the figures will come out ;-)

Why does a project has to be historical correct? I like it when someone uses his fantasy :cheers:

I don´t think I´ve done a subject yet that´s 100% historically correct....my red /blue army project (still ongoing :roll: ) is made up of bods from 1300-1500... :-)

Forgot the nun.....brake fluid /oven cleaner/ dettol.... http://abstractsilver.de/catalog/images/dettol.jpg The last one is very good and doesn´t stink..the left overs you can use to clean something else.

@ Maurice...HEY!!!!! That´s my idea!!! :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 09 Feb 2011, 20:48

Peter wrote:Why does a project has to be historical correct? I like it when someone uses his fantasy :cheers:

Maurice wrote:You're right, my next diorama will be Napoleonic French taking on early imperial Roman legionnaires. That should be cool :-D

Cool :headbang: I want to see this idea finished ;-)

PS: such discussion allways reminds me on a movie about a Japanese battalion (WWII I think) that is blast back to the time of the samourais. Tanks and machineguns against bows and horses :shock: I just can't remember the title of that movie :? Maybe someone else does???
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 09 Feb 2011, 22:10

Peter wrote:PS: such discussion allways reminds me on a movie about a Japanese battalion (WWII I think) that is blast back to the time of the samourais. Tanks and machineguns against bows and horses :shock: I just can't remember the title of that movie :? Maybe someone else does???

Sengoku jieitai (1979)
Sorry...I forgot the english titel :oops:

Time Slip, or G.I. Samurai
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 09 Feb 2011, 22:39

Time slip, that's the one :thumbup: (Trailer is on youtube ;-) but I will not post it here)

But if you look at that trailer, and now we go back on topic, you see it's not allways needed to be historical correct to create something very nice ;-)

Jeroen can you tell us what colors you used to paint the church?

About stripping of the paint, you can try with boiling water and a toothbrush ;-)

Go on with your plans, I like them :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by SamSagace on 09 Feb 2011, 23:40

I don't quote all the responses about historical accuracy.... it's an interested discussion! to be continue in another section? :evil: Just one thing: some of us can have fun with a precise historical accuracy !!! :lol: (not me yet... :mrgreen: but it could change!!! :confused: )

This church and the painting are good and you can choose all the figures you want! :lol:
For the church: is it possible to add some "stained glass" or something like that?
You have a great variety of Vikings figures!

( "ITALERI church"... or ITALIAN church??????? :mrgreen: )
... and in Middle Age, churches were colourful painted inside and outside! :-D
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Jeroen1302 on 10 Feb 2011, 03:17

Historical accuracy is nice if possible, but here I prefer the nicer Zvezda figures over the correcter Hat figures...

Peter wrote:Jeroen can you tell us what colors you used to paint the church?

Mixtures of Vallejo paints. ;-)

SamSagace wrote:For the church: is it possible to add some "stained glass" or something like that?

I did an attempt with a plasticised pattern I printed (like the floor) but it was to dark, then I thought about transparent coloured wrappers (like from quality street) but that would limit it to one colour... :?
Jeroen1302  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Michel on 10 Feb 2011, 06:33

...ok, I´m out here!

I think this is an historical Figures Forum and not a Fantasy Forum?! :roll:

Without about min. 90% historical correctness there´s no Fun for me...!

Ancient Celts against WW2 Germans...?????

Not my Topic...!!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:
Michel  Germany

Posted by Paul on 10 Feb 2011, 06:49

Michel wrote:...ok, I´m out here!

Shame...but it isn written anywhere that it's an historical figures forum. If it HAD to be 90% historically correct then
1. this hasn't been the case as long as I have been here or follwed the forum
2. a lot of people would go if it was or wouldn't have joined
There are enough navel gazing rivet counting forums but only one like this.
can you just ignore it???? :-)
I think you might have missed the joke made by Maurice.... ;-) :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Michel on 10 Feb 2011, 07:08

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

No worry Paul! It is everything OK...!

I already know how I must arrange this Forum... :winky: :affraid: :la: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michel  Germany

Posted by Peter on 10 Feb 2011, 07:57

Michel wrote:...ok, I´m out here!

Michel wrote::tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

No worry Paul! It is everything OK...!

I already know how I must arrange this Forum... :winky: :affraid: :la: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward what you are up to :mrgreen: :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Work in Progress