Work in Progress

More French Steeds on the workbench

Posted by k.b. on 12 Apr 2023, 19:12

Here's another chap, this time a French 4th Line Chasseur officer for you to contemplate.

......on a French hussar horse!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Rich W on 12 Apr 2023, 22:45

Very nice. Consider me contemplating...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Apr 2023, 23:39

Very nice indeed. Super crisp lines on the cuffs and collar, nice job on the belt especially. Lots of nice touches. I tip my hat to your talent k.b.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 13 Apr 2023, 03:57

The highlighting on the horse coat is very subtle and the detailing on the uniform, the rim of the jacket, the belt are very fine!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by raph86 on 13 Apr 2023, 09:02

Hello, another great addition to your French cavalry 8)
Clean and precise painting as always :yeah:

This is the chasseur officer and so he has the wrong horse, he is the only rider in this box who can use the horses supplied in the 6080 kit as shown on the PSR site. If he is not yet glued on you can easily fix this error ;-) .

As luck would have it, two days ago I took out the Italeri 6080 box to paint some riders using leftover horses from the Italeri 6008 hussar box.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
raph86  France

Posted by k.b. on 16 Apr 2023, 12:26

Thanks Rich for the contemplation, Bessiere, Owen and Raph for your generous words!
I am aware that the Line chasseur officer is on the wrong horse Raph but I strongly dislike those line chasseur horses - they’re much bigger than the Carabinier horses of Italeri or the Zvezda Cuirassier horses, as well as being almost caricature-like in their movement, their legs being spider like! Thus, I preferred the artistic license of putting him on a troopers horse. (One day I’ll sculpt a correct saddlecloth onto a French Hussar horse for him). As I don’t wargame, all of my cavalry troopers sit loosely on their mounts so I can indeed switch them around allowing different variations.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 16 Apr 2023, 16:01

I enjoy this thread: new napoleonic cavalry regularly.
I always thought that the chasseurs à cheval had boring uniforms, but you prove the opposite k.b.
Your work is very inspiring.
thanks for sharing.
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by raph86 on 16 Apr 2023, 17:22

k.b. wrote:Thanks Rich for the contemplation, Bessiere, Owen and Raph for your generous words!
I am aware that the Line chasseur officer is on the wrong horse Raph but I strongly dislike those line chasseur horses - they’re much bigger than the Carabinier horses of Italeri or the Zvezda Cuirassier horses, as well as being almost caricature-like in their movement, their legs being spider like! Thus, I preferred the artistic license of putting him on a troopers horse. (One day I’ll sculpt a correct saddlecloth onto a French Hussar horse for him). As I don’t wargame, all of my cavalry troopers sit loosely on their mounts so I can indeed switch them around allowing different variations.

I understand then ;-) , it is true that the horses of this box are not a success, but as the rider is not stuck, he will perhaps one day find a suitable horse :mrgreen: .
For my part I will try the experiment with horses from this box mixed with those from the Italeri de hussards box, we will see the result :shock:
Thanks again for sharing and keep on delighting us with your creations :yeah:
Last edited by Kekso on 20 Apr 2023, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quoting and text in bold
raph86  France

Posted by k.b. on 16 Apr 2023, 23:18

Here is the chasseur officer on another hussar horse with a chasseur horse down below. Here the difference in horse anatomy accuracy is blatantly clear.
Am also including a couple of painting by my favourite Napoleonic artists of the era. Rousselot and Begnini. For Napoleonic buffs no introduction is required. In the first illustration we can see four line chasseurs including an officer with sheepskins instead of saddlecloths. Then we have a single 7th hussar who is also using a sheepskin instead of the saddlecloth. I believe we can presume that the sheepskin was much more practical in the field be it for officers or troopers.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 17 Apr 2023, 00:02

Oops…. Sorry inverted the pics and my edits (photo cropping) haven’t seemed to work…
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 12 May 2023, 13:00

It's been a while since i added a photo or two so here goes, otherwise i might forget how to do it....

some of these figures might have been shown before but here they are nearing completion having had their bases added yesterday. All that's left to do is add some paint and a few grass tufts and they'll be finished.

Strangely enough i had a Eureka moment just before photographing them. I had a recent newspaper lying around (I know, whoever buys newspapers nowadays? The answer to that is I DO, occasionally). You may be asking "and your Eureka moment Keith? Seeing the newspaper in the middle of my clutter was open at a page showing an area of some tragic recent landslides here in Brazil I thought "let's improvise a quick backdrop for some photos. As the newspaper is a flat matt surface it provides a tremendous background for taking photos! I hungrily searched my workshop for some kind of masking tape, couldn't find any (obviously), but instead found some black insulating tape, taped the newspaper to my wall and bob's your uncle, my figures had their background.
Obviously these photos aren't brilliant as the minis are too close to the background, hence the shadow, plus the fact they're on their temporary supports, plus the bases are incomplete. But regardless...... the idea was born. Therefore, when they are completely finished i can have a good delve through some recent newspapers for even more appropriate backgrounds, work on my lighting, get them on one of my big bases and voila - a masterpiece (ok slow down Keith, let's not get carried away).
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 12 May 2023, 16:56

Nice work Keith! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 13 May 2023, 05:38

Eureka!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by k.b. on 19 May 2023, 17:36

a few more finished and based dragoons
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 25 Sep 2023, 14:03

A couple of more Dutch Lancers almost finished......

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 25 Sep 2023, 16:13

Very nice 2nd lancers K.B. I'm in love with the chestnut color horses; would you mind sharing what paints you use to get that color? I may have to change my approach and not do a dozen at a time as i get a bit burned out before I've finished. You get such nice results doing smaller batches. It's tricky to find a good balance between time and quantity, something you've worked out well. Excellent work.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 25 Sep 2023, 18:50

Hello Bessiere,
Thanks for your comments and enquiries into the paints i use to paint my horses, in particular my chestnuts/bay. Am pretty sure i've gone through this sequence once before but perhaps it wasn't here on Bennos. All of my painting is done in oils but i undercoat in humbrol enamels. First coat matt white, inevitably i find a few more mouldlines that i missed removing before the painting process began. After removing them I have recently added a second coat of white, this time however a gloss coat of white enamel. I find the gloss undercoat is much smoother to apply my oils to than a matt. In the case of my horses i wait until the undercoat is thoroughly dry before adding yellow ochre oils all over the figure with a large brush. I spread the oils very thinly, then remove the excess with my brush, wiping it clean on papel towels until i'm left with a thin film of oils. Once that's dry (2-3 days) i follow the same procedure with burnt sienna then burnt umber. After each coat the horse's sheen gets richer and once those three coats are dry I begin the real painting. Black is added to the shadows and white,lighter brown or yellow to the highlights. Slowly i build up my layers and i use women's fine make-up blending brushes to blend the transition from light to dark. It's hardly a fast process but it's what this crazy Englishman finds pleases him the most. Once dry I will paint the horse cloth, reins and horse furniture, including buckles on the reins before i approach painting the eyes and horse hooves after previously adding a blaze if required on the head and socks on its legs, (black for bays, white for chestnuts).
It's a slow arduous process and not for everyone but we all dedicate as much or as little time as we choose for the troops we intend to paint. Hope this has shed a little light on my horse painting. It's hardly an original technique being how larger scale painters normally do to paint their steeds. Only i do it in a smaller scale. Next time maybe I'll include some photos of each step.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 25 Sep 2023, 21:03

My oil paints haven't been touched in 40 years but may still work. i appreciate the amount of detail you'e given, it sounds very complete and will hopefully get me a chestnut color i find pleasing. thanks so much!
cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 Sep 2023, 12:10

Those Red Lancers look amazing, k.b. Great job! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress