Work in Progress

Airfix 1/76 88mm Flak en Sd.Kfz.7 tractor

Posted by huib on 27 Feb 2022, 18:16

I have this in my stash for quite a while:

These Airfix kits are very sentimental to me. But next to that they are nice old model kits, representing the proportions of the 88mm gun and the tractor well. Off course detail is absent or simplfied, but to me that just the fun.

Let's start with this one. This boxing is from 1994, but the kit was first issued in 1967. Older than me. Amazingly enough the kit is still produced and sold. Only the box and the decals have changed. The quality is a lot less than with modern kits. but the price is adequate and I still like it very much.
What's in the box?

Typical old style Airfix sprues.

Interesting: the parts for tractor and gun are mixed on the sprues. A modern model company would seperate gun and tractor to enable different combinations to be marketed.

But with four sprues full of parts this is value for money.

Elastic vinyl-like tracks, and a decal sheet for one version: A Luftwaffe unit (anti-aircraft) attached to the 21th Panzer Division in North Africa.

And this picture will be my main source of inspiration: A Sdkfz.7 tractor, towing a Flak 36 in the Libyan desert.

Great! I'm looking forward to this build.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 27 Feb 2022, 18:25

A small start

Where to start on this kit? With the tractor, with the gun? Hm, let's start with the transport limbers of the gun. There is a lot to improve.

The kit parts. Nice detail in the middle. But the boxes and the mudguards are less well done. Furthermore some flash and some moulding seams.

First I cut away some plastic. On the left a course cut, on the right sanded smooth until a rectangular hole is left.

Some chunks of plastic glued in the holes, using plenty of glue.

Filled and sanded smooth. A tabula rasa for new detail.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Harry Faversham on 27 Feb 2022, 21:09

Here's a bit of inspiration for you, 88mm Gun complete with crew from Yesteryear!

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by JueHue on 27 Feb 2022, 21:19

You've got your work cut out for you. I wish you good luck with your project. I stay tuned.
Jürgen
JueHue  Germany

Posted by Fire at Will on 27 Feb 2022, 22:06

Back when I originally bought the kit it didn't have any decals provided.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 28 Feb 2022, 00:16

I bought my first Airfix Flak 88 and Tractor kit in or around 1970, probably in those days for the princely sum of about 20 pence. In fact, I can still remember doing so quite clearly. At that point in time it proved to be one of the most difficult Airfix kits my young fingers had ever tried to construct, and all those interlocking wheels and awkward rubber tracks caused some frustration.

That was, of course, a very long time ago. I've built a few of these since, and still have a few un-built in the 'stash'. So I will be interested to see how this goes.

PS: Harry's 'yesteryear' Flak 88 and crew is as fine a rendition of this ancient kit as I think I have yet seen. :-D
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 28 Feb 2022, 15:27

Thanks for that MM, you're very kind. Here's a Tractor, and some wheely things!

;-)
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by huib on 01 Mar 2022, 22:30

Thank you, guys. Very nice you understand my nostalgia!
That's a very nice Flak and Sd.Kfz.7 you built Harry, with the old Airfix Germans as crew. I like your painting and weathering style. It looks nicely faded and dusted.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Harry Faversham on 02 Mar 2022, 10:33

Thanks huib, very kind of you. For my Airfix 'Yesteryear' project I made all the vehicles straight from the box with no weathering or stowage, just a commander for the tanks.
With your 88mm Flak I'm looking forward to the super detailing you intend to do on this vintage kit... can't wait to see your progress.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 02 Mar 2022, 19:58

Me neither, especially since I also share your nostalgie.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 02 Mar 2022, 21:41

MABO wrote:Me neither, especially since I also share your nostalgie.

I remember you fixed this kit for me! :mrgreen:

I'm watching Huib! Eyes wide open! :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 04 Mar 2022, 11:32

Thank you, guys!

Transport limbers
A lot of work can be done on the two transport limbers, which are much simplified by Airfix.

After filling the gaps in the mudguards, I added the axles and leafsprings. So far for Airfix. Now its my turn.

I adapted the axle of the front limber, to have the wheels in a steering position later. And much simplified steering arms were made from iron wire.

Then on with the upper side, adding the mudguard supports.

Luggageracks and toolboxes added, as well as a lot of small parts: tail lights, reflectors, steps and wheel blocks.

Homemade parts for the cable reels.

The cable reels finished and attached, a chair for the brakesman made from iron wire and modelling tape. On one of the fenders is not a cable reel, but a rack with jerrycans.

Finally some tools added and a towing bar enhanced with handrails.

So far for the limbers. Knowing myself some things will be added or changed later. But now on with the cruciform which has to be made fit exactly to the limbers.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 04 Mar 2022, 18:50

Unbelievable!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Mar 2022, 20:16

That is some excellent modelling work Mr H.

As always the attention to detail is inspiring .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 04 Mar 2022, 20:53

This one's going to be a bit special!

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Mar 2022, 14:24

Remarkable and quite amazing detailed modelling on this old Airfx kit! I look forward to further pictures as you progress on to the tractor and gun itself.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 06 Mar 2022, 12:17

And you didn't forget a nice cosy chair for the commanding officer! Very kind of you! :-D

If I find spare parts of tanks "et cetera" I'm thinking to bring them along for you at FIGZ if you join the party then! ;-)

Looking forward to the progress of this ! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 07 Mar 2022, 19:50

Thank you very much guys, for your kind comments.

Cruciform gun mount
And now on with the cruciform gun mount.

Airfix's main part with some vague detail is correct for the Flak 18, but not for the Flak 36 I'm making of it.

So I sanded off most of the detail and replaced one of the legs ends to end up with two identical legs.

The underside is hollow, which is good for moulding as it prevents sinkmarks. But as the real thing is not open on the underside I filled it using styrene leftovers and filler.

Sanded smooth and extended with styrene circles that will be sanded into shape later.

New detail added to the mount.

And detail added to the foldable legs.

Foldable legs fixed in the transport position.

Gun mount temporarily fixed to the limbers.

Well, another step finished. Now on with the gun and its cradle.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by JueHue on 07 Mar 2022, 20:42

Always admire their scarch skills. I also love creating something out of nothing, not just gluing finished parts. good job
Jürgen
JueHue  Germany

Posted by Peter on 08 Mar 2022, 13:51

JueHue wrote:Always admire their scarch skills. I also love creating something out of nothing, not just gluing finished parts. good job
Jürgen

Companies are thinking to bring uncomplete kits on the market, just to please Huib! :mrgreen:

Excellent progress Huib! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Work in Progress