Work in Progress

Urartu Soldiers

Posted by Xantippos on 15 Aug 2021, 14:59

With holidays and with more time, I've decided to go on a bold project! After painting the ottoman cavalry, roman hastati and the roman civilians, the other projects I had left were rather unattractive, so I've gone to sculpt and then cast some obscure soldiers that will hardly be made.

In this case, I've gone for Urartians :-) . Or ancient armenians, as some might call them. I'll make moulds for them next week hopefully!

Sculpting is very tiresome, it only pays off when you can start casting your miniatures in large numbers!

Last edited by Peter on 15 Aug 2021, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bigger picture added.
Xantippos  

Posted by Peter on 15 Aug 2021, 18:22

Nice work so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Chariobaude on 15 Aug 2021, 21:13

what a nice project !!!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 17 Aug 2021, 02:08

Oh wow, you're sculpting these all by yourself! Are you going to sell them (preferably in resin). Linear-A do need some competition...

Very fascinating, this is even more obscure than anything I can come up with right now.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Xantippos on 22 Aug 2021, 08:26

Many thanks, and thanks Peter for resizing the picture! I have just finishing casting a first test batch in black. Now I will do some more properly and in brown plastic.

About selling, not sure, as it is very time consuming my casting method. Maybe in the future. Resin is a bit toxic, so I even if tried a long time ago, now I prefer to avoid it altogether (I know there is, in theory, non-toxic resin, but that is slow drying and quite expensive).

They were rather noticeable in history. At least, if you want to depict a few battles of the Assyrians, is something you need :) . There is considerably few biblical-bronze age sets out there. The sad things is, that lately, very few new ancient sets of new different peoples are coming out. Besides Etruscans and Sassanids, very few new ancients have come out in the last years. So much I've fallen in the need of creating my own!
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 23 Aug 2021, 01:08

Xantippos wrote:There is considerably few biblical-bronze age sets out there. The sad things is, that lately, very few new ancient sets of new different peoples are coming out. Besides Etruscans and Sassanids, very few new ancients have come out in the last years. So much I've fallen in the need of creating my own!

I know what you mean, there's a lot more focus on World War 2. Linear A are the lone heroes creating in plastic. Passion always finds a way! I don't know anyone else playing 1/72 minis anymore since my gaming club moved onto other scales, so I've just decided to do it all myself.

Always interesting to see custom sculpts, it's always nice to see variety. Hope to see more!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress